Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One

All Quiet on the Western Front (1929; Erich Maria Remarque)
  16% (2)
The Crucible (1952; Arthur Miller)
  33% (4)
Dubliners (1914; James Joyce)
  8% (1)
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1896; H.G. Wells)
  16% (2)
Ubik (1969; Philip K. Dick)
  16% (2)
The Weir (1997; Conor McPherson)
  8% (1)

Total Votes : 12

(last vote on : 10/10/2012 10:06:01 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 10/3/2012 1:47:35 PM   
rawlinson

Ok, so here's our first round. A really nice selection of titles there, novels, short stories and a couple of plays. If anyone who hasn't nominated a book would still like to take part by reading along, as long as you read everything by the deadline you can submit a set of votes as well. I'm thinking maybe we should set a deadline of three months for the first round? That way we're allowing two weeks per book.
Post #: 1
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 10/3/2012 2:01:56 PM   
MovieAddict247

Great list of books.

All Quiet on the Western Front - obviously, one of my favourites.
The Crucible - so far, my favourite Miller, and one of my favourite plays. Great choice.
The Island of Doctor Moreau - I really enjoyed this when I read it, but that was years ago so it will be nice to re-read it.

I've never read the other three - though Dubliners has been on my list for years. Looking forward to reading them all (especially as I have the holidays coming up).

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 10/3/2012 2:08:28 PM   
Rebel scum

All Quiet-Fantastic, not read it in ages so due another read

The Crucible-I've seen one scene from this from a school play we did, it'll be good to read the rest

Dubliners-Oh fuck, Joyce. I hope I like it

The Island of Doctor Moreau-I love it, it's Wells' best and I hope you enjoy!

Ubik-I've only read Do Androids Dream... from Dick, so it'll be good to read more of his stuff

The Weir-Never even heard of this

By the way, for those who don't mind reading books on computer, Google books has the entirety of Dubliners available.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 10/3/2012 2:25:59 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 3
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 10/3/2012 5:25:23 PM   
Rinc

Interesting line up and apart from my own choice I haven't read any of the others.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 4
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 11:35:15 AM   
rawlinson

I'm surprised at how little known The Weir can be, especially as it's become regarded to be quite an important play. It's a wonderful little play, quite chilling at times, and I'm hoping you all take to it. Out of the others, I've never read Western Front, but the other nominees are all superb. I'm think Reb' is the early frontrunner, but I'd be quite happy with any of them winning.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 12:24:00 PM   
impqueen

All Quiet on the Western Front Read this in 2010 it is brilliant.
The Crucible Ive not read this since school and I liked it but didnt love it, a revisit will be good.  
Dubliners Not my favourite Joyce but still an excellent read.
The Island of Dr. Moreau Love Wells, love this.
Ubik I dont think it has a chance in hell of progression but it is one of my all-time favourite books. I hope someone will enjoy it.
The Weir Not read.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 7:50:14 PM   
Rebel scum

Just finished Dubliners, and as with all short story collections it can be hit and miss. The first few stories aren't particularly interesting and some seem to just stop partway through a scene, but there are some genuinely great ones, such as Two Gallants, Counterparts, Eveline and The Dead. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, given my part experience with Joyce.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 7
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 8:28:03 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Just finished Dubliners, and as with all short story collections it can be hit and miss. The first few stories aren't particularly interesting and some seem to just stop partway through a scene, but there are some genuinely great ones, such as Two Gallants, Counterparts, Eveline and The Dead. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, given my past experience with Joyce.

Did he kidney punch you? The Dead is brilliant.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 8
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 8:53:37 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

Just finished Dubliners, and as with all short story collections it can be hit and miss. The first few stories aren't particularly interesting and some seem to just stop partway through a scene, but there are some genuinely great ones, such as Two Gallants, Counterparts, Eveline and The Dead. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, given my past experience with Joyce.

Yup, and he stole some potatoes. Bastard.

More seriously, I struggled through the first 100 pages of Ulysses before giving up, and Portrait of the Artist... I got through, but didn't enjoy it. Hence why I'm so surprised Dubliners was as good as it was.

I liked The Dead, but it's not the best story-I prefer Two Gallants or Counterparts. I am going to seek out the Huston adaptation though.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 9
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:03:01 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup, and he stole some potatoes. Bastard.

More seriously, I struggled through the first 100 pages of Ulysses before giving up, and Portrait of the Artist... I got through, but didn't enjoy it. Hence why I'm so surprised Dubliners was as good as it was.

I liked The Dead, but it's not the best story-I prefer Two Gallants or Counterparts. I am going to seek out the Huston adaptation though.

The fecker.

The Dead is one of my favourite films.

It took me a couple of attempts when I first wanted to read Ulysses but I tried to do so at a stupidly young age. I got frustrated and gave up. I came back to it one rainy week on a rubbish holiday and devoured it, suffice to say Im really glad I did, maybe you might revisit it one day? Not that you have to obviously but maybe having enjoyed some of Dubliners you might have a better time of Ulysses.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 10
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:07:10 PM   
elab49

Impqueen will be getting my vote this round. I do like Moreau a lot as well, but Ubik is possibly my favourite Dick.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 11
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:14:49 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

my favourite Dick.

*sniggers*

In case you missed it in the opening post, if you feel like reading along with us you can submit your own top six votes.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:21:58 PM   
elab49

So it's a month for the first 5, and another 11 to get through The Dubliners then? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 13
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:22:53 PM   
elab49

Also, I'm normally more careful about potential sig quotes but my laptop and I are not talking to the extent of my literally having just ordered a new one, so I didn't think when I posted!

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:27:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

So it's a month for the first 5, and another 11 to get through The Dubliners then?

Oh yeah, I forgot you'd vote Dubliners down.

New rule - Dubliners has to be in your top two.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:28:29 PM   
elab49

But what it that pushes The Weir out 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 16
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:30:15 PM   
rawlinson

Darn.

Although I'm not expecting The Weir to get past round one. I just wanted to get a few more people reading it. I was originally going to nominate a more famous novel.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:35:46 PM   
Olaf

Anyone whose favourite Joyce isn't Finnegans Wake is a coward and a philistine. True fact.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:39:47 PM   
rawlinson

I actually did consider nominating it at one point. Just to scare people.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 19
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:41:14 PM   
elab49

But then he remembered the Geneva and Human Rights conventions both apply to this sub-forum. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:43:42 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I've been working through it slowly over the last year or so. The actual prose is incredible but he was properly having a laugh with it clearly. (this coming from someone who's read Ulysses twice and Portrait a silly number of times.) It sounds amazing if you read it out loud though, which I suspect was his intention.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 21
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 9:48:15 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I've been working through it slowly over the last year or so. The actual prose is incredible but he was properly having a laugh with it clearly. (this coming from someone who's read Ulysses twice and Portrait a silly number of times.) It sounds amazing if you read it out loud though, which I suspect was his intention.

My American Literature lecturer told me he was saving it for his retirement. He was in his 60s at that point and the prospect was growing more terrifying by the day.

I can't pretend I understand the book, but there really is something quite enthralling about the language.

Are you going to read along and vote?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 22
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 10:01:09 PM   
Olaf

I want to but it depends on if I find the time really. I'm down to the last three weeks of my dissertation (fun times!) but I've read all except Moreau, All Quiet and The Weir, so if I get a chance to I'll definitely vote.

And I absolutely love the idea of saving a book for when I'm old, even though I have no idea what to pick. A la recherche du temps perdu possibly, since I probably won't find time to read it until then.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 10:59:07 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

It took me a couple of attempts when I first wanted to read Ulysses but I tried to do so at a stupidly young age. I got frustrated and gave up. I came back to it one rainy week on a rubbish holiday and devoured it, suffice to say Im really glad I did, maybe you might revisit it one day? Not that you have to obviously but maybe having enjoyed some of Dubliners you might have a better time of Ulysses.

Quite possibly, although it's low priority considering the huge amount of classics I haven't read.

Plus if I bring a copy into the house my English Literature student housemate WILL destroy it. Possibly with a nuke.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 24
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 11:01:19 PM   
elab49

I like your housemate 

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 25
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 11:39:48 PM   
MovieAddict247

I've never read any Joyce, so I'm a little apprehensive about Dubliners. Should I be concerned?

Ubik sounds fascinating.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 11/3/2012 11:44:19 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I've never read any Joyce, so I'm a little apprehensive about Dubliners. Should I be concerned?

Having disliked Joyce before reading it and finding it enjoyable, I'd say you shouldn't be concerned. It's short stories too, so if you find it hard going you have natural stopping points.

Post #: 27
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 12/3/2012 1:20:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Only one of these I've read is Dr. Moreau.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 28
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 12/3/2012 8:13:51 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Ubik sounds fascinating.

Im very interested in what those whove not been exposed to Dick  will have to say about Ubik. I started re reading it last night (yes Im reading my nom first) and Id briefly forgotten how unrelenting he is right from the start, theres no pussy footing around its straight in and god (or whatever controlling peripheral entity is out there) help yee.

Yes, always.

Post #: 29
RE: Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One - 12/3/2012 2:11:49 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Only one of these I've read is Dr. Moreau.

Are you going to read along?

Yes, always.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Literature Hall of Fame One: Round One Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI