Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

First Image From Lone Ranger Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> First Image From Lone Ranger Online Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 5:57:09 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 8/3/2012 5:57:09 PM   
clarkkent

oh dear.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The Lone Ranger & Tonto.........that's the LONE Ran... - 8/3/2012 6:04:08 PM   
Loosecrew

It's Jack Sparrow shaved with the Joker's face after Vicki Vale threw water at him.
Nothing to crow about. See what I did there?

Post #: 3
Mighty Boosh? - 8/3/2012 7:18:37 PM   
Theodore Buckland

My first thought when seeing the picture was that Noel Fielding had taken on the role of Tonto...

Post #: 4
Lone ranger looks great (camp as hell, but in a great w... - 8/3/2012 7:27:16 PM   
Cyberleader

I'm sure Tonto will also be great...I'm slightly worried that Depp's going to be too Deppish...much as I love him...we don't just want a repeat of everything he's ever done...once more with pale make up and eccentrics...But, like I said, I'm sure he will be great.

Post #: 5
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 8:31:25 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Good god, it looks bloody awful. This was the movie that ran into cost overruns when the budget went north of 200 million dollars. Why on earth would it cost that much to make a western? Oh right, because of the CGI werewolves (yes, seriously). THE MASK OF ZORRO was as wonderful and rousing a western adventure as one could hope for, and the stunts, story and effects were all distinctly practical and old fashioned.

This movie epitomizes everything that is wrong with Hollywood today.

Post #: 6
I remember the old TV series - 8/3/2012 8:33:56 PM   
leroythemasochist

With Clayton Moore and the peerless Jay Silverheels (purely for the name alone, the man was a GOD).
And I even had the action figures!
And I'm wondering what music they'll have...
Will it be the William Tell Overture of old? Or will they opt for a new take?

Like the new look and thankfully the Ranger isn't in his old style powder blue duds.
Depp? Let's hope he channels Hunter S Thompson instead of Capn Jack

Post #: 7
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 8:48:18 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

Good god, it looks bloody awful. This was the movie that ran into cost overruns when the budget went north of 200 million dollars. Why on earth would it cost that much to make a western? Oh right, because of the CGI werewolves (yes, seriously). THE MASK OF ZORRO was as wonderful and rousing a western adventure as one could hope for, and the stunts, story and effects were all distinctly practical and old fashioned.

What with the what now?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 8
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 8:54:13 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

What with the what now?

I come from the world of American movie news sites, so I am not always sure how much of this info makes it way across the pond, but yes, the movie is going to be full of supernatural elements and over the top CGI. Disney originally pulled the plug over these costs, but then they figured out how to cut a few million off the budget (I believe that was accomplished when Depp deferred some salary in order to have a larger piece of the back end, but don't quote me on that).

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 9
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 9:01:51 PM   
Woger

Wow. Reminds me of The Simpsons episode where they're at the cinema and Lisa complains about inaccuracies in some period pice and Bart tells her to keep quiet because the ninja's are coming.
Anyway, I was hoping this would't be the worlds oldest hipster playing Jack Sparrow again but I shouldn't have hoped.

< Message edited by Woger -- 8/3/2012 9:02:16 PM >

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 10
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 9:03:17 PM   
matty_b

So, is Depp essentially blacking up for this role?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 11
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 9:11:35 PM   
Woger

Going by the picture he's whiting!

- - -

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 12
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 8/3/2012 11:39:52 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

So, is Depp essentially blacking up for this role?

Nah, he's half Cherokee and Navajo or something. He played a Native American in the hugely under-appreciated The Brave a few years back.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 13
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 9/3/2012 12:34:03 AM   
kingtutiii

I'm glad that they cut out the CGI warewolves. However, I'm not sure how it will work out with Depp as Tonto.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 14
RE: First Image From Lone Ranger Online - 9/3/2012 12:39:28 AM   
kingtutiii

I'm nervous that it will be ruined. They actually considered CGI warewolves. Plus they might try too hard to make Depp to be deppish.

(in reply to kingtutiii)
Post #: 15
Oh dear! - 9/3/2012 1:55:09 AM   
mogwatch

This looks and sounds terrible, what the fluck are they thinking???

Post #: 16
Come now Empire readers - you are behaving like AICN tr... - 9/3/2012 6:38:18 AM   
potemkin1925

slamming a movie just a few days in production based on one photo.

Why not do a bit of research into the culture of the Indian tribes that Depp is representing. Or do you think that Indians all wore buckskins and said "um" and "how" all the time.

Obviously the filmmaker are avoiding the campiness of previous Lone Ranger outings by changing the costumes - in particular the blue shirt and white trousers that were made from the same material as the Mexican peasant costumes on The Magnificent Seven.

As to the complaints of CGI werewolves??? What??? Do you know how much it costs to get real ones??? :P - because that was the complaint here - not werewolves in a Lone Ranger movie, "CGI werewolves".

Post #: 17
RE: Come now Empire readers - you are behaving like AIC... - 9/3/2012 8:26:03 AM   
elab49

I'd have thought the odd Saville Row type crispness of Hammer's costume was more the issue - I can't really see anything wrong with Depp's.

But Lone Ranger and werewolves sounds like the same idiot thought process that matches columns together to get Cowboys and Aliens, period pieces and zombies and possibly Lincoln and vampires. With a director who couldn't see what was going wrong with his POTC series and the bad writers who helped him drag them down. It's fair to say criticising based on a pic is unfair. The creative team behind it is who to go for

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to potemkin1925)
Post #: 18
Meh - 9/3/2012 8:38:58 AM   
ronniem

Expensive dud inthe making...Depp seriously needs to break away from Bruckheimer and Disney for a while. He used to make really interesting films

Post #: 19
Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 9:05:21 AM   
partybee

Captain Jackish. Seeing as who's producing, I'm sure there'll be a fair bit of past-successes getting recycled. Also, I remember Depp saying he was going to be doing something that would be respectful to his heritage...I know it's one photo but I'm sensing a turn from the Mickey Rooney school of foreign stereotypes.

Post #: 20
Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 9:05:30 AM   
partybee

Captain Jackish. Seeing as who's producing, I'm sure there'll be a fair bit of past-successes getting recycled. Also, I remember Depp saying he was going to be doing something that would be respectful to his heritage...I know it's one photo but I'm sensing a turn from the Mickey Rooney school of foreign stereotypes.

Post #: 21
What's this... ? - 9/3/2012 11:06:37 AM   
Trubie

Im literally speachless....

Post #: 22
RE: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:16:40 AM   
potemkin1925

And just what do you know about Indian heritage? The "original" Tonto was the stereotype's stereotype.

(in reply to partybee)
Post #: 23
RE: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:19:46 AM   
potemkin1925

And just what do you know about Indian heritage?
What I can see of the costume fits in with the little that I know - and I'm sure Depp knows quite a bit more.

The "original" Tonto was the stereotype's stereotype.

(in reply to partybee)
Post #: 24
RE: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:20:48 AM   
potemkin1925

And just what do you know about Indian heritage?
What I can see of the costume fits in with the little that I know - and I'm sure Depp knows quite a bit more.

(in reply to partybee)
Post #: 25
RE: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:21:22 AM   
elab49

Just a note - there is a site glitch and a failed post message does not mean a failed post. Please check the thread (not by refreshing as they may also cause a double-post!) before posting again 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to potemkin1925)
Post #: 26
Re: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:24:16 AM   
potemkin1925

What makes you think that Depp isn't dressed as an Indian would be time?

Post #: 27
Re: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:29:21 AM   
potemkin1925

Post #: 28
Re: Tonto's vibe looking more than a bit... - 9/3/2012 11:44:54 AM   
potemkin1925

Post #: 29
- 9/3/2012 5:16:32 PM   
kitfisto

Don't hold out much hope for this, it's just gonna be Johnny Depp assing around in Capt Jack mode! Pirates of the Carribean sucked and the chances are this will too!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> First Image From Lone Ranger Online Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI