Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - 26/3/2012 11:10:43 AM   
sanchia

A bit of a late one - "13 Seconds".

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 31
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - 26/3/2012 9:09:33 PM   
Chief Wiggum

an entry to this competition is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to..

unless it's after 5 pm on Thursday, in which case... yes, yes it is late.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 32
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - 29/3/2012 5:53:43 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Right, it's gone 5pm and the entries have now closed. voting starts.

If you could pick 3, in no particular order (each vote has equal weighting)

, I'll tot them up in a week and we'll see who wins

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 33
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - 29/3/2012 6:13:09 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Gingerdaniel
Pocketrocket
Jon5000

Though I think a good round was had by all, so well done.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 34
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 29/3/2012 6:19:41 PM   
sanchia

Jon5000
Gingerdaniel
LastMemories

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 35
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 29/3/2012 11:46:25 PM   
hozay

Dino Showdown
Tomorrow Can Wait
13 Seconds

Post #: 36
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 30/3/2012 8:59:39 AM   
pocketrocket

Based on fit to the brief (my interpretation that is) and appeal of the image.

Some blades of grass - really like the way the sun clips the highlights, very atmospheric.
Doing time - I like the juxtopisition of "doing time" with the fresh start theme.
Watch - very apt, a new job.

A good round for a thread that's been rebooted a few times, hope the next one is as good!

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 37
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 31/3/2012 3:33:20 PM   
King of Kafiristan

TOMORROW CAN WAIT
BLADES OF GRASS
DINO SHOWDOWN

Post #: 38
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 2/4/2012 7:21:34 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Hasedera Temple complex, Kamakura. - Hozay
The first thing i see in a new day... By Gingerdaniel
"13 Seconds" by Sanchia

Some really good pic in this round. Can't wait for the next one!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 39
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 3/4/2012 2:49:54 AM   
benny the jet

Some Blades of Grass In The Sun - Jon5000
13 Seconds-Sanchia
The first thing i see in a new day- By Gingerdaniel

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 40
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 3/4/2012 10:12:03 AM   
Chief Wiggum

ok, just a couple more days to go before voting closes, so it would be great to see a few more forumites sticking their opinions in, so that we don't get drunken "he woz robbed!!!11" posts after the fact (I'm looking at you Gazpop)

'The Road to Spring' by LastMemories
13 Seconds by Sanchia

Post #: 41
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 4/4/2012 7:23:29 PM   
Mojo

To be fair I was robbed!

Watch
13 Seconds
Doing Time

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

Post #: 42
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 5/4/2012 11:15:55 AM   
LastMemories

My votes go to:

Doing Time - HobbitonLass
Some Blades of Grass In The Sun - Jon5000

All were very good photos! Well done everyone!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 43
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 5/4/2012 10:01:14 PM   
Chief Wiggum

ok so I've counted up the votes and as far as I can tell the results are as follows...

1st - Some Blades of Grass In The Sun - Jon5000 -6
2nd - 13 Seconds -Sanchia -5
3rd -The first thing i see in a new day- By Gingerdaniel -4
4th -Doing Time - HobbitonLass -3
5th =Hasedera Temple complex, Kamakura. - Hozay -2
=Watch - Chief wiggum -2
=road to spring - LastMemories -2
=Tomorrow can wait. by Mojo -2
=Dino Showdown - King of Kafiristan -2
10th = Spring - fresh start By PocketRocket

If somebody could check the maths (it's been a long day and, lets face it, it wouldn't be the first time I've miscounted) and confirm that this is the case

In the mean time if we could get a new theme from Jon5000, I'll set up the thread for next month. if you could keep it short and vague so we can get lots of varied entries from forumites that would be grand (so less of "i want pictures of a man holding a pint" more "i want pictures based on the theme of relaxation").

Thanks again for all your entries, as far as I can tell everybody came away with a point towards the overall years comp, and it was really close between Sanchia and jon5000 (I'll split the total value of 5th-9th between all those that got 2 points)

I will also note that, whilst it's not against the rules to vote for your own entry, it's not quite cricket in my eyes

(in reply to LastMemories)
Post #: 44
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 5/4/2012 10:23:44 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

ok so I've counted up the votes and as far as I can tell the results are as follows...

1st - Some Blades of Grass In The Sun - Jon5000 -6
2nd - 13 Seconds -Sanchia -5
3rd -The first thing i see in a new day- By Gingerdaniel -4
4th -Doing Time - HobbitonLass -3
5th =Hasedera Temple complex, Kamakura. - Hozay -2
=Watch - Chief wiggum -2
=road to spring - LastMemories -2
=Tomorrow can wait. by Mojo -2
=Dino Showdown - King of Kafiristan -2
10th = Spring - fresh start By PocketRocket

If somebody could check the maths (it's been a long day and, lets face it, it wouldn't be the first time I've miscounted) and confirm that this is the case

In the mean time if we could get a new theme from Jon5000, I'll set up the thread for next month. if you could keep it short and vague so we can get lots of varied entries from forumites that would be grand (so less of "i want pictures of a man holding a pint" more "i want pictures based on the theme of relaxation").

Thanks again for all your entries, as far as I can tell everybody came away with a point towards the overall years comp, and it was really close between Sanchia and jon5000 (I'll split the total value of 5th-9th between all those that got 2 points)

I will also note that, whilst it's not against the rules to vote for your own entry, it's not quite cricket in my eyes

I was torn over voting for DINO SHOWDOWN. I didn't vote for it because I wanted to win, I voted for it because I believed it was the third best photo (that is why I listed it third), and to not vote for it simply because of a concern for appearances would, I decided, be dishonest. Would someone else really want my vote if they knew they were not really my third favorite of all entries? I assure you that I wouldn't have voted for my own photo if I'd seen three others I liked more.

Anyway, proud to have tied for third place, and I look forward to learning of our new theme from Jon5000.

PS: congrats to everyone who participated!

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 5/4/2012 10:26:02 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 5/4/2012 10:36:18 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I don't have a problem with it, really (I should have put a smiley after it) but not wanting to sound too british, I view competitions like this, where there is only personal pride at stake, as being like village cricket; you want to win, but you'd rather that everybody has a good time doing it on both sides, you clap the opposing batsmen as they come in, you acknowledge the bowling of the opposite team.

it's not like it's stopped anyone doing it in the past, and I don't discount the votes. I think the only time I would ask for a judgement call would be if the "self-voting" made the difference between somebody winning the round

Post #: 46
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 6/4/2012 10:06:26 AM   
hozay

Well done jon5000 and the other winners ! Some very good shots in that lot.
Looking forward to the next comp.

Post #: 47
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 6/4/2012 10:22:03 AM   
jon5000

I won?! Jebus!

Thanks very much to all. I feel a bit guilty about not putting more effort into my title unlike others ha.... but thanks enormously! Very humbled I am

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 48
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 6/4/2012 10:29:05 AM   
sanchia

As you should be. I was robbed I tells you robbed!

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 49
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 6/4/2012 11:17:01 AM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

As you should be. I was robbed I tells you robbed!

To be honest I'd say yours was definitely more the photographer's photo. Excellent composition!

Really the plaudits for my win should go to the blade of grass

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 50
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 7/4/2012 5:03:33 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

I don't have a problem with it, really (I should have put a smiley after it) but not wanting to sound too british, I view competitions like this, where there is only personal pride at stake, as being like village cricket; you want to win, but you'd rather that everybody has a good time doing it on both sides, you clap the opposing batsmen as they come in, you acknowledge the bowling of the opposite team.

it's not like it's stopped anyone doing it in the past, and I don't discount the votes. I think the only time I would ask for a judgement call would be if the "self-voting" made the difference between somebody winning the round

I've decided that, seeing as I can't bring myself to cast votes that do not reflect my true opinions, I will in future abstain from the ballot when it comes to these competitions. If I'm competing, I won't be voting.

Post #: 51
RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 - VOTE N... - 7/4/2012 5:54:44 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Don't be like that about it, it's not like it's cheating, just a little unsporting, like sledging (to carry on the cricket analogy)

I'd also be more critical if you posted a pic, and didn't vote - expecting people to judge your picture without reciprocating the sentiment would be even more unsporting IMO.

and lets face it, the voting is all highly subjective so you must vote for what you think are the best 3 pictures.

Post #: 52
RE: Off Topic Photo Comp 2012 - Round 1 - Finished (mod... - 8/4/2012 9:21:34 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Oh don't get me wrong, no hard feelings. I thought long and hard about it and couldn't quite wrap my head around your position and what it was you wanted from me, and I decided that the way for me to participate and still have fun was to stick to sharing my photos and leave the judging to others.

Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Off Topic Photo Competition 2012 - Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI