Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Raven - 5/3/2012 12:36:30 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 5/3/2012 1:34:59 PM   
OSSIE2404

Is that what you call a review? Awful. How would you judge whether to see the film based on that.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 5/3/2012 4:00:17 PM   
darthmax1

Don't know what you mean OSSIE2404. It's a good review and confirmed my suspicions after watching the trailer that this was one to miss.

Post #: 3
If Newman doesn't like it.. - 5/3/2012 4:04:31 PM   
markasmarv

..It's probably at least decent. That being said I wasn't overly impressed by the trailers.

Post #: 4
Empty The Contents Of This Poe, It Stinks - 8/3/2012 12:17:28 PM   
BenTramer

I don't know why everyone raves about John Cusack. Apart from Being John Malkovich, he's played himself in every movie I've ever seen him in, he's a very limited actor and he's cocky as hell. The interview about this movie on the Empire website is cringeworthy with Cusack looking very uncomfortable talking about the "duality" of Poe. Yawn.

Post #: 5
What a PRETENTIOUS review - 9/3/2012 7:51:54 AM   
balmerm

^ Enough Said.

Post #: 6
RE: What a PRETENTIOUS review - 9/3/2012 10:16:25 PM   
st3veebee

Caught this at a morning screening in Cineworld. I like John Cusack, Gleeson and thought Evans was good fun in The Three Musketeers. Not overly high hopes going in but was hoping for an entertaining and perhaps sinister whodunnit.

GOOD

-Looks decent-ish. That is the costumes are great and its all quite dim (both lighting and wit).

-One death sequence, spoiled in the trailer, is suitably gory and wincing.

-Cusack looks great as Poe.

-Killer isn't THAT predictable.

BAD

-Acting ranges from the phoned-in (Cusack at points and Gleeson) to the poor (Evans and everyone else except for ->) to the atrocious (Alice Eve...)

-Dire dialogue and script

-CGI Blood looks very poor at times

-Boring. I like period pieces, I love murder mysteries and yet: this got very dull very quickly

So...

Cusack and Gleeson: you are better than this. At times shambolic acting, poor script, woeful dialogue in a dull film clinging on to the coattails of Sherlock Holmes. One thing I can say is the killer reveal was somewhat interesting, but by that point I had long stopped caring.

1.5/5

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to balmerm)
Post #: 7
RE: What a PRETENTIOUS review - 10/3/2012 12:04:53 AM   
Groovy Mule

It's dire.

Truly the worst film I've seen this year so far (and I've seen The Darkest Hour and WE).

Dialogue and script are clunky at best and it's strange that McTeigue who got a number of good performances from his V For Vendetta cast can't get a decent performance out of an admittedly inferior cast. Alice Eve delivers a terrible performance as has been pointed out above and Luke Evans is a personality vacuum on screen sucking any interest from the film.

Whilst this is clearly a vehicle for John Cusack the filmmakers seem to have relied upon audience goodwill towards him to carry an unlikeable character and poor script. It's not enough and only serves to remind you just how long ago High Fidelity and Grosse Point Blank were.

Can John Cusack still carry a film ... quoth the Raven, nevermore.

< Message edited by Groovy Mule -- 10/3/2012 12:07:10 AM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 8
RE: What a PRETENTIOUS review - 10/3/2012 12:06:32 AM   
Groovy Mule

double post

< Message edited by Groovy Mule -- 10/3/2012 12:07:01 AM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 9
RE: Empty The Contents Of This Poe, It Stinks - 10/3/2012 12:40:38 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

I don't know why everyone raves about John Cusack. Apart from Being John Malkovich, he's played himself in every movie I've ever seen him in, he's a very limited actor and he's cocky as hell. The interview about this movie on the Empire website is cringeworthy with Cusack looking very uncomfortable talking about the "duality" of Poe. Yawn.

Yup.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 10
What the raven!? - 10/3/2012 11:26:27 PM   
Hey_You_Guys

One of the worst films of 2012 so far...

Post #: 11
Poe Faced! - 11/3/2012 7:18:39 PM   
vipey

Much maligned by critics - but not for the first time - I find them to be wide of the mark. Granted, the film has enough plot holes to drive a bus through and set pieces are frequently muddled and the dialogue is very stilted - but it has enough spirit and atmosphere to forgive these shortcomings. The acid test - I want to read more of Poe as a result of seeing this film - that qualifies it as some sort of success.

Post #: 12
ONE STAR - 11/3/2012 8:03:44 PM   
tysmuse

Accurate, but very generous review. Made on the cheap and all the acting is terrible, even Cusack.

Post #: 13
RE: ONE STAR - 11/3/2012 8:33:08 PM   
Dr Lenera

n 29th century Baltimore, Edgar Allan Poe, writer of famous poems and stories like The Raven, is a penniless drunk, depending on money he gets a newspaper for writing acerbic reviews of other writer’s work to keep him in the booze. Emily the woman he loves is difficult to reach because her father Colonel Hamilton as a very understandable dislike of Poe so they have sneak around behind his back. Two murders occur which bear a striking resemblance to a certain Poe tale and Detective Emmett Fields thinks Poe may be responsible or at least connected. When another Poe-inspired death takes place, Poe decides to help with the investigation...........

The stories of Edgar Allan Poe have been a fertile source of inspiration for movie makers for many decades, most notably the Roger Corman-produced series in the late 1950s and 60s usually starring Vincent Price, but it has now been a while, and few major productions have tackled his work, despite the richness of his undoubtedly grim and doom-laden but incredibly compelling tales. Well, now we have The Raven, which by the way is nothing to do with either the 1935 nor the 1963 movies of that name. Instead of adapting a Poe story, we have the character of Poe himself placed into the rather familiar Tenebrae/Basic Instinct gimmick of a murderer using methods from a writer’s stories to kill his/ her victims. This allows the filmmakers to stage variations on famous moments from Poe tales, from The Tell-Tale Heart to The Masque Of The Red Death to an especially gory version of The Pit And The Pendulum, though as with a few other scenes the silly CG blood negatives against any full effectiveness. Despite working in the odd moment from Poe’s life though, such as how he died, there is little feeling of his work and the film proceeds for the most part like a perfectly okay but unremarkable serial killer thriller. John Cusack appears to be channelling Robert Downey Jnr’s Sherlock Holmes, while overall the movie is very reminiscent of From Hell in look and feel. Generally it’s solid fare, certainly an enjoyable couple of hours and better than most reviews would have you believe [do critics seem to have it in for James McTeigue's enjoyable films or what?], but in the end rather forgettable, unlike any one of Poe’s wonderful tales which will remain stuck in the brain and haunt you weeks after you’ve read them.

[rating: 6.5/10]

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 14
RE: ONE STAR - 12/3/2012 12:22:55 PM   
blackduck

The movie starts off quite well, mood is set, intreague layed down....and then the plot happens.

Unfortunatally there is enough down time in the plot for you mind to keep going back to the plot holes (like exactly when was she abducted, she was in his arms literally a split second earlier.)

John Cusack is having enough fun to keep things moving along and the action scenes are distracting enough, as long as you don't question why they're actually happening.

But if you do make it past the daft ending to the end credits you are treated to the most jarringly inappropiate credit sequence ever, it's quite good but belongs to a totally different movie.

Not the worst movie ever, just wait till it's on the telly before you watch it

< Message edited by blackduck -- 12/3/2012 12:23:21 PM >

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 15
RE: Poe Faced! - 12/3/2012 7:04:28 PM   
Groovy Mule

quote:

ORIGINAL: vipey

Much maligned by critics - but not for the first time - I find them to be wide of the mark. Granted, the film has enough plot holes to drive a bus through and set pieces are frequently muddled and the dialogue is very stilted - but it has enough spirit and atmosphere to forgive these shortcomings. The acid test - I want to read more of Poe as a result of seeing this film - that qualifies it as some sort of success.

Yes but you want to read more Poe rather than sit through The Raven again!

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

But if you do make it past the daft ending to the end credits you are treated to the most jarringly inappropiate credit sequence ever, it's quite good but belongs to a totally different movie.

Completely agree - think Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo-lite. Maybe that's where the budget went.

(in reply to vipey)
Post #: 16
RE: - 15/3/2012 7:00:03 PM   
JohnChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: OSSIE2404

Is that what you call a review? Awful. How would you judge whether to see the film based on that.

Actually, that's an excellent and astute review.

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to OSSIE2404)
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 20/3/2012 3:55:16 PM   
thepluginbaby

As a fan of Poe (and John Cusack), I was looking forward to this movie, but in the end it just felt very forgettable. I'm having trouble remembering it now as a matter of fact. I thought it would at least all end with the Fall of the House of Usher...

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 21/3/2012 1:10:11 PM   
Qwerty Norris

A distinctly average murder mystery thriller lacking in any actual mystery or thrills to jangle the nerves. Cusack makes a decent Poe, but bar the odd witty line is given very little to do that could be considered interesting. Evans and Eve offer lacklustre support (it's never a good sign when you're more pre-occupied by her two front teeth rather than her coffin-based predicament), whilst Gleeson's talents are wasted on a father figure characterised in cliche. The end credit sequences also look like they belong in a Fincher serial killer film, rather than an extremely ordinary one set in 19th century Baltimore.

2/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 19
RE: Poe Faced! - 1/4/2012 8:46:42 PM   
vipey

I wouldn't argue with you on that one!

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 20
RE: Poe Faced! - 1/4/2012 8:47:29 PM   
vipey

Wouldn't argue with you on that one!

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 21
RE: Poe Faced! - 13/7/2012 10:03:54 PM   
Phubbs

The Raven

Very fictionalised account of Poe's last days up until the point where he was mysteriously found ill and dying on the streets of Baltimore. Apparently the writers included some real accounts of Poe's life into the film but to be honest you would never have guessed.

What you have here is a serial killer horror set at the time of Poe and that's pretty much it. This could be set or made anywhere its that generic and bland, its only the dark rustic mists of old 19th century Maryland that make this remotely interesting to watch.

So someone is killing folk just as Poe has written in his literary works and its up to Sherloc....I mean Edgar to track down the killer before his beloved is murdered. Poe is portrayed by John Cusack and I didn't really think too much to this decision. He does look the part somewhat I admit but Cusack comes across as a bit too humorous at times, he doesn't really fit the bill for this type of dark thriller. He gets better towards the end but for the most part he really doesn't stand out a tall.

Rest of the cast are pretty much your standard affair with all the mutton chop sideburns and beards in place. Gleeson does seem terribly type cast here, any period flick going they stick him in it with facial hair.

Its all very dull with not much happening to keep you in your seat. Slow plodding plot with lots of 'Scooby Doo' type clues and searching intertwined with the odd gory moment. Its hardly nail biting stuff, I didn't really care about any of the characters and the ending is so so....plain!.

Without my own review seeming to generic itself as I'm sure others will have made this same observation but think of this film like the recent 'Sherlock Holmes' films. Less glossy action and much more darkness and blood, an adult version if you will. On the other hand you could think of it as a much weaker version of 'From Hell', bit of a duffer I'm afraid.

(in reply to vipey)
Post #: 22
RE: Poe Faced! - 13/7/2012 10:04:00 PM   
Phubbs

The Raven

Very fictionalised account of Poe's last days up until the point where he was mysteriously found ill and dying on the streets of Baltimore. Apparently the writers included some real accounts of Poe's life into the film but to be honest you would never have guessed.

What you have here is a serial killer horror set at the time of Poe and that's pretty much it. This could be set or made anywhere its that generic and bland, its only the dark rustic mists of old 19th century Maryland that make this remotely interesting to watch.

So someone is killing folk just as Poe has written in his literary works and its up to Sherloc....I mean Edgar to track down the killer before his beloved is murdered. Poe is portrayed by John Cusack and I didn't really think too much to this decision. He does look the part somewhat I admit but Cusack comes across as a bit too humorous at times, he doesn't really fit the bill for this type of dark thriller. He gets better towards the end but for the most part he really doesn't stand out a tall.

Rest of the cast are pretty much your standard affair with all the mutton chop sideburns and beards in place. Gleeson does seem terribly type cast here, any period flick going they stick him in it with facial hair.

Its all very dull with not much happening to keep you in your seat. Slow plodding plot with lots of 'Scooby Doo' type clues and searching intertwined with the odd gory moment. Its hardly nail biting stuff, I didn't really care about any of the characters and the ending is so so....plain!.

Without my own review seeming to generic itself as I'm sure others will have made this same observation but think of this film like the recent 'Sherlock Holmes' films. Less glossy action and much more darkness and blood, an adult version if you will. On the other hand you could think of it as a much weaker version of 'From Hell', bit of a duffer I'm afraid.

(in reply to vipey)
Post #: 23
Very Jack the Ripper-ish - 5/8/2012 4:12:07 AM   
Alene

When it’s over, The Raven wasn’t a film about one piece of work from Edgar Allan Poe, but a collection of macabre tales, which a crazed serial killer decides to bring to life. There was definitely a Jack the Ripper feel to this film that surprised and intrigued me. I went into this film without knowing anything about the story except that Cusack was playing the role of Poe, which, in itself, was worth a sit through. Cusack does a commendable job playing the sombre writer, capturing the eccentricities of a man fuelled by his passion, or at time, madness, to write and being paired with Evans, the two reminded me a bit of...

Read the complete review at:
http://alene-whenitsover.blogspot.ca/2012/07/raven-2012.html

< Message edited by Alene -- 5/8/2012 4:17:25 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: Very Jack the Ripper-ish - 26/1/2013 9:04:15 PM   
sanchia

There was potential here but it was all wasted. First and foremost, the biggest flaw was that none of the characters was in any way sympathetic. Poe in particular is presented as extremely arrogant and unpleasant. In a film where you are supposed to empathise with the travails of the characters, if you really don't care at all who dies it takes away any sense of peril which is presented The script is bland and stilted and the plot potters along in a drab manner which never lights the screen up. Talking of lighting up, the camerawork is also very muted and dull which increases the level of blandness which wraps this film up.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Alene)
Post #: 25
Dead on arrival - 22/6/2014 8:15:05 AM   
RJNeb2

An admittedly handsome though ultimately lacklustre murder mystery spun out from the suspicious death of Edgar Allan Poe. Here, his mysterious demise is linked to a copycat killer so it all plays like a Victorian “Saw”. Matters are not helped by a completely disinterested Cusack, and pity poor Alice Eve who gets to spend most of the film buried alive.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Raven Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI