Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:48:00 PM   
Rebel scum

I'd be up for a novel HoF as well.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 91
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:52:02 PM   
rawlinson

Could it actually work though?

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 92
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:55:20 PM   
chambanzi

90. Ran (1985)

Director: Akira Kurosawa

Set in Sixteenth century Japan, Ran tells the story of Lord Hidetora (Tatsuya Nakadai) who relinquishes his throne deciding to assign the authority to his three sons Taro, Jiro and Saburo. For those who have read or studied King Lear this premise will sound familiar with the exception that Lear designated his power to daughters.
Sabura is the honest son as Cordelia was the honest daughter to Lear and yet it is this truthfulness that leads to banishment. Hidetora has become accustomed to power and has poor insight believing that the sons can share power, sure enough Taro and Jiro cannot rule in harmony and thus chaos (the English translation of Ran) is ensued. I believe Hidetora was, like many parents in denial of the selfishness of his children, his dislike for Saburo’s bluntness is because it taps into his own anxieties and these come to life in the form of battle scenes far ahead of their time boasting irreproachable cinematography. Against a backdrop of impressively overbearing mountains we are privy to every small battle as swords clash, red meets yellow, arrows meet flesh and fire and smoke corrupt the clear blue sky.

Nevertheless Kurosawa’s adaptation is not just about physical chaos but also mental turmoil as we witness Hidetora’s transformation from an unflinching leader to a deranged fool who ends up relying on his courtier, the novelty jester who remarks
“I was once the fool who made him laugh. Now he’s the fool and I’m the one laughing.”
This trading of places is gradual and realistic which can be credited to the exceptional acting talent of Nakadai who shows craziness through what he doesn’t show as opposed to what he does show, a refreshing change from the ‘in your face’ madmen of countless Hollywood films. How can you react to situations to show you are going crazy unless you have ever been mad? Some actors speak in a silly voice, make deranged facial expressions or lick their lips like a cannibal. This is effective in terms of entertainment but ineffective in regards to realism, however showing minimal reaction and acting indifferently to the other characters is what Nakadai nails and the performance is the closest to madness I have beheld.
Another bold performance comes from the villainous Lady Kaede, a character very similar to the manipulative Asaji from Kurosawa’s ‘Throne of Blood’ which is also based off a Shakespeare play (MacBeth.) Both these characters orchestrate the preceding battles and watch from the shadows.

Kurosawa’s direction is flawless, Ran is hailed as his last ‘masterpiece’ and it is impossible to even begin to imagine the effort he put into storyboarding and filming the battle sequences. I would cite Ran as Kurosawa’s darkest film; there is a sense of impending doom that is far more terrifying than the majority of horror films. Simply seeing the crazed, wild- eyed appearance of Hidetora, stripped of his respect and walking down the ranks of the men who used to serve him in a trance-like state of disbelief is an image that has stayed with me since first seeing the film.

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 12/3/2012 7:57:07 PM >

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 93
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:16:00 PM   
elab49

I saw this on the big screen a year or so ago.

Are you jealous

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 94
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:17:13 PM   
chambanzi

Yes!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 95
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:18:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've been waiting for Lovefilm to send me this for fucking ages. It's the only film I have on high priority yet I'm getting stuff that's apparently listed as having a short wait before it which is slightly bizarre. I guess I'm just going to have to buy it.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 7/3/2012 3:19:14 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 96
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:21:39 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi

Yes!

I love Kaede's character. And Taro's reaction to her 'my mother killed herself there'.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 97
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:22:03 PM   
chambanzi

I remember when I quit LoveFilm they offered the service for half the price just to keep me as a customer. Helpful bit of advice for anyone using it

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 98
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:23:52 PM   
chambanzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Yes!

I love Kaede's character. And Taro's reaction to her 'my mother killed herself there'.

Powerful moment, Kaede really is brilliant but at the same time I hate her. Also love/hate the female lead in Rashomon. And Throne Of Blood. Kurosawa really does have some detestable female villains.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 99
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:51:57 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I saw this on the big screen a year or so ago.

Are you jealous

Not fair.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 100
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:57:07 PM   
Rebel scum

Ran is Kurosawa's best, it's sublime and utterly beautiful.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 101
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 3:59:16 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Could it actually work though?

I reckon so, books are easy to get hold of (libraries, e-readers and downloadable books) and I reckon a lot of the Bookworms crowd would want to get involved. Plus, I'd be happy to count or otherwise help oversee things.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 102
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 4:13:32 PM   
rawlinson

I meant more in terms of timing. If two months is needed to watch 12 films, and the audio HoF often runs to about two months for 8 or 9 albums, how much time would be needed to do a book HoF?

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 103
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 4:13:33 PM   
chambanzi

Plus a lot of the books to feature, members would have already read no doubt.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 104
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 4:19:02 PM   
MovieAddict247

Not seen Ran. Is that bad?

But back to off topic, I'd love a novel HoF. Though picking a book would be damn difficult, it would be a lot of fun.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 105
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 6:16:39 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

I meant more in terms of timing. If two months is needed to watch 12 films, and the audio HoF often runs to about two months for 8 or 9 albums, how much time would be needed to do a book HoF?

Probably 2-3 months, since books are something that can be read pretty much anytime, while movies require clearing 2-3 hours to watch, and while there'll probably be a monolith or two, some classics run to about 100 pages.

Plus the audio HoF does suffer from a lack of a closing date to give everyone a boot up the arse .

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 106
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 6:45:11 PM   
garvielloken

I nominate The Bible.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 107
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 7:30:25 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

I nominate The Bible.

Too many plot holes, and the character of God changes from the Old Testament to the New Testament with no build-up. Ends too abruptly and too much moralising instead of plot.

Post #: 108
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 8:29:08 PM   
rawlinson

I remain sceptical, but whoever had the idea should start it in Bookworms.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 109
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 8:31:30 PM   
chambanzi

Dead Sea Scrolls FTW

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 110
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 9:00:17 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

I nominate The Bible.

Too many plot holes, and the character of God changes from the Old Testament to the New Testament with no build-up. Ends too abruptly and too much moralising instead of plot.

Too much incest as well.

Also, Ran is a great choice Chambanzi. I hope you have more Kurosawa on the way.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 111
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 9:54:25 PM   
chambanzi

There is more Ghibli, Pixar and Kurosawa in the list
And loads from other directors who haven't appeared yet!

Post #: 112
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 8/3/2012 12:17:58 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

I remain sceptical, but whoever had the idea should start it in Bookworms.

Yeah, I wonder who brought it up...

quote:

Wasn't there talk of a books HoF at one point? I'd love it if Moby Dick, Finnegans Wake, War and Peace and Gravity's Rainbow all turned up in the same round.

Oh.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 8/3/2012 12:19:37 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

There is more Ghibli, Pixar and Kurosawa in the list

All those three are good news.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 114
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 8/3/2012 11:25:17 AM   
rawlinson

I've posted a thread in Bookworms to see if there'd be any interest.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 115
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 9/3/2012 4:00:50 PM   
chambanzi

89. Ace In The Hole (1951)

Director: Billy Wilder

“How’d you like to make yourself a thousand dollars a day, Mr Boot? I’m a thousand- dollar- a- day newspaperman. You can have me for nothing.”

Billy Wilder’s ‘Ace In the Hole’ deals with the vicarious nature of journalism where the big scoop is the ultimate prize and if it affects somebody’s livelihood in the process then all the better!
Kirk Douglas is Chuck Tatum (a name that strangely suits him) who hits the big time when he exploits the story of Leo Manisa, a man trapped within a cliff dwelling. To add insult to injury Manisa’s wife, Lorraine is a gold-digger who cares little for him or his escape, instead flirting with Chuck who genuinely feels bad but not enough to stop milking the story for all it’s worth. Chuck also despises Lorraine who he throws his weight about with, I believe this is a self-reflective hate where he acknowledges his own greedy traits within her.

Ace In The Hole entertains a social statement similar to that of films such as ‘Dog Day Afternoon’, ‘Network’ and ‘The King Of Comedy,’ films in which exists a world of ‘overnight sensations’ that eventually fade and fizzle into obscurity. All of these films are highly critical of the media and (mainly) its power and impact on the public.

(Spoilers)

Leo eventually dies after putting up a valiant fight and Lorraine and Chuck come to blows yet again, except this time Lorraine gets the upper hand- upon being strangled she stabs him with her scissors.
Chuck heads back to the newspaper bleeding to death to present a story of his own then drops dead. This ending is ambiguous, but it is apparent Chuck has shifted from reporter to the story itself. Of course Chuck might be flavour of the week but it is inevitable that all will be forgotten when a fresh story is presented.

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 26/3/2012 11:55:02 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 116
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 12/3/2012 1:01:54 PM   
chambanzi

88. The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Director: John Ford

John Ford's adaptation of John Steinbeck's classic novel sees the Joad family head to California in search of ‘The American Dream,’ what they find is slave labour.

Hope is a theme that often drives a film, for example as bad as things get in ‘The Shawshank Redemption’ Andy is driven by hope and the film reaches its joyous climax. The Grapes Of Wrath is a film driven by hope but one that ultimately never shifts from pessimistic despair, for it is a realistic account of The Great Depression. Here is a film about people taking more than their share and how it affects the poor. The Depression is depicted as a world in which children scrounge the small amount of food you earn but you must allow them to starve for the benefit of your own family, the truly horrifying fact being that this is our world.
Henry Fonda is memorable as Tom Joad, a role that pretty much defines the ‘All-American.’ Tom is a rough but loving character whose anger builds, sticks and becomes stronger in the way that wine ferments (hence ‘The Grapes of Wrath.’) This wrath leads Tom to kill those who stand in the way of his family.

Ford’s direction and Gregg Toland’s stunning cinematography really set the scene, landscape shots resemble paintings from the Depression era and low- key lighting captures the light-dark tonal contrasts perfectly. Classic black and white oldies with this artistic flair remain less dated than the majority of colourised films.

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 12/3/2012 1:07:38 PM >

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 117
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 12/3/2012 5:40:29 PM   
chambanzi

87. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Director: Robert Zemeckis

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is the animated film noir featuring an alcoholic detective, ‘toon’ hating Judge Doom and of course the infamous, seductive Jessica Rabbit who is more memorable than the majority of femme fatales.
The film is of course filled with cartoon gags, (the ACME Corporation) but it also makes some insightful jokes into Los Angeles’ transport system, very much a film about the city.
The story involves Roger being framed for murder (that much you may have inferred from the title) and an alcoholic detective (Bob Hoskins) is called upon to help, albeit begrudgingly; having lost his brother to an evil toon he does not exactly see eye to eye with Roger.

Watching real actors combined with animated explosions and slapstick is where the joy comes from and this is perhaps the best film to showcase this. Forget CGI; drawn animation is where it’s at and this is why the film won’t age whereas a film like ‘Deep Blue Sea’ has already aged tremendously (and hilariously.)
Judge Doom is, visually the scariest villain imaginable, Christopher Lloyd with bulging, red cartoon eyes works as an object of fear. Even worse is his voice that goes to freakishly high cartoon pitches. This dash of horror juxtaposed against the cute, goofy and childish cartoons improves the quality of the film, as do the underlying themes of sex and crime. As a child I loved cartoons and anyone in the same boat will truly value this film but it offers so much more for the adult audiences/film scholars who will understand the references to the film noirs of the 1940’s. I would class Roger Rabbit as more of a tribute to these films than a direct parody i.e. ‘Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid.’

My favourite characters are the weasels that play the role of mindless thugs/henchmen to Judge Doom. It really is an odd combination witnessing a terrifying Christopher Lloyd as a cartoon (in denial) with a Hitler complex surrounded by these hilarious weasel cartoons but one that works in a strange, strange way. Even better the film has an anti-prejudice moral established on the basis that humans and cartoons should co-exist in harmony!

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 118
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 12/3/2012 7:57:59 PM   
chambanzi

Went and flattened out a few grammatical errors

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 119
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 12/3/2012 8:47:59 PM   
MovieAddict247

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is awesome. Not seen the others.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI