Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 8:04:24 PM   
elab49

I think it's a decent watch with a couple of sublime moments, mainly with Peter o'Toole. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 61
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 8:06:40 PM   
Harry Tuttle

2nd tier Pixar for me but still very good.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 62
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 8:08:05 PM   
chambanzi

I agree that O'Toole's moments are the best

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 6/3/2012 8:09:20 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 63
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 9:39:14 PM   
chambanzi

93. The African Queen (1951)

Director: John Huston

Females in 1940’s film were often femme fatales to be feared. According to male anxiety/feminist film critics the root of this was their independence gained while men were away fighting in the war.
This early fifties romance is the complete opposite. Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn star as Charlie and Rose in this lovely John Huston film where man and woman truly work together in unison. During the fixing of the boat scene Rose is firing out advice like nobodies business.

Crocodiles, rapids and German’s are just some of the fiends this mismatched duo/unlikely couple has to face and the fact that this film was shot on location is an added bonus and very rare for its time.
Bogart is on top form as the drunkard Charlie who calls Rose a ‘skinny old maid.’ Only an actor of Bogart’s caliber could play such a lazy slob yet have a touch of charm about him and Hepburn is fantastic as the uptight and insistent Rose.

The African Queen may not be the most visually stunning or multi layered film, but it is well-intentioned, good fun and perfect for a Sunday night’s entertainment.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 64
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 9:55:47 PM   
MovieAddict247

Ratatouille is lovely - it always makes me want to cook. The flashback scene is one of Pixar's finest.

The African Queen - I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Its the kind of Bank Holiday film which is comfortable to watch. Not the greatest film in the world, but enjoyable on a rainy day with a cup of tea and biscuits.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 65
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 9:58:17 PM   
chambanzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Ratatouille is lovely - it always makes me want to cook. The flashback scene is one of Pixar's finest.

The African Queen - I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Its the kind of Bank Holiday film which is comfortable to watch. Not the greatest film in the world, but enjoyable on a rainy day with a cup of tea and biscuits.

Yeah definitely. I think The African Queen holds a sentimental value for me as its my parents favourite film and when you watch a film with two people who are really into it and laughing at all the jokes you just enjoy it that extra bit more.
That and I love Bogart's singing.

And yes not the greatest film in the world, the 93rd greatest

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 66
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 10:08:26 PM   
Rebel scum

Ratatouille really disappointed me, it's the worst Pixar film I've seen (Though I've not seen either Cars).

African Queen is great fun, perfect bank holiday viewing.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 67
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 10:13:40 PM   
chambanzi

My least favourites are Cars and The Incredibles. Thought A Bug's Life was pretty average too.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 68
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 6/3/2012 11:17:37 PM   
Rebel scum

The Incredibles and Bugs Life are some of their lesser efforts, but both are still great movies. Ratatouille was just average to bad, with two great moments surrounded by a sea of nothing.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 69
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 12:23:38 AM   
chambanzi

HOW DARE YOU!! SPEAK ILL OF ME IF YOU MUST, BUT RATATOUILLE? NEVER

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 70
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 12:39:22 AM   
Rebel scum

Is this your highest Pixar, or are there more to come?

EDIT-Just noticed this:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi

the in your face sappiness of, say Monsters Inc

There's no way I'd accuse Monsters Inc of in-your-face sappiness, for one thing the ending was the most moving Pixar moment for ages, only eclipsed by the opening of Up and the last 20 minutes of Toy Story 3. Plus the emotions felt by the characters-especially Sully-felt genuinely real and not just phoned in.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 7/3/2012 12:43:04 AM >

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 71
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:12:41 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Still haven't seen Ratatouille and I don't know why

I haven't seen The African Queen in so long but it was great from what I remembered

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 72
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 6:11:02 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Ratatouille is perfection. Nice to see it get the love it deserves.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 73
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 8:26:47 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

the in your face sappiness of, say Monsters Inc

There's no way I'd accuse Monsters Inc of in-your-face sappiness, for one thing the ending was the most moving Pixar moment for ages, only eclipsed by the opening of Up and the last 20 minutes of Toy Story 3. Plus the emotions felt by the characters-especially Sully-felt genuinely real and not just phoned in.

Completely agree - the ending of Monsters Inc isn't sappy at all, it's by far one of the most emotional Pixar moments.

In-your-face sappiness in Pixar - I may get flamed for this, but Jessie's song in Toy Story 2. Yes, it's incredibly moving, but it's more in-your-face than most of their other emotional scenes. It's still a good scene though.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 74
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 8:44:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

In-your-face sappiness in Pixar - I may get flamed for this, but Jessie's song in Toy Story 2. Yes, it's incredibly moving, but it's more in-your-face than most of their other emotional scenes. It's still a good scene though.

Worst bit in any Pixar film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 75
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 9:27:34 AM   
chambanzi

Agreed that Jessie's song in Toy Story 2 is a poor moment.
I found Monsters Inc really sappy. That is not to say I didn't enjoy the film though.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 76
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 10:02:33 AM   
chambanzi

92. Fist Of Fury (1972)

Director: Lo Wei

As far as I’m concerned Fist Of Fury is the greatest martial arts film of all time. Legendary Bruce Lee stars as protagonist Chen Zhen whose master has been murdered and following taunts from Japanese students, embarks on a quest of revenge. The most infamous scene highlights Chen’s arrival at the Japanese dojo where he kicks some serious ass. This is widely considered to be the greatest scene within a martial arts film.
It is a serious and lethal revenge Chen carries out, as evil as the students of the Japanese dojo are Chen goes very far in his attempt to punish them even hanging a couple of villains from a lamp post.

Martial arts functions as a platform in which Chinese/Japanese politics and animosities are exposed. More specifically the film relates to Japan’s barbaric treatment of its Asian neighbours throughout history. Every time Chen gets the upper hand, the Japanese strike back with force (attacking his school in retaliation.) Chen subsequently causes further harm than good and ultimately becomes a murderer.

Regrettably, upon mention of the name Bruce Lee most audiences think of either ‘Enter the Dragon’ or ‘Way of the Dragon.’ The latter because Chuck Norris is in it and we all know he has become somewhat of a cult icon and Internet sensation. Let me just say that fight sequence between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris is overrated so if you want to watch a fantastic martial arts film with just enough substance to satisfy those theoretical cravings (yes I’m talking to you film students) go with Fist of Fury!

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 7/3/2012 12:58:33 PM >

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 77
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 11:09:57 AM   
chambanzi

91. In Bruges (2008)

Director: Martin McDonagh

"Number One, why aren't you in when I fucking told you to be in? Number Two, why doesn't this hotel have phones with fucking voicemail and not have to leave messages with the fucking receptionist? Number Three, you better fucking be in tomorrow night when I fucking call again or there'll be fucking hell to pay. I'm fucking telling you - Harry."

Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are two hitmen sent to the picturesque Belgium city of Bruges to carry out a hit. This goes terribly wrong resulting in Ray killing a little boy, so until things are smoothed out the pair are stuck in Bruges, which is like being stuck in limbo.
For Ray the guilt is inescapable for he is stuck in the city in which he has committed the terrible crime and he tries to take his mind off this through seeing a woman.
Ken is the perfect juxtaposition to Ray as his interest lies in the historical nature of the city and the audience receives somewhat of a tour guide through Bruges but the film (and number of quoteable lines) truly pick(s) up when Harry (Ralph Fiennes) arrives as the film turns into a dangerous game of cat and mouse. One hilarious scene springs to mind in which Harry taunts wannabee thug Eirik.

If you have any interest in dwarves, cocaine, prostitutes, canals, fat tourists, pale lager, swearing or just Bruges then this film comes highly recommended.

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 6/4/2012 12:43:24 AM >

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 78
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 11:29:35 AM   
chambanzi

Okay so first ten have been cracked out.

91. In Bruges (2008)
92. Fist of Fury (1972)
93. The African Queen (1951)
94. Ratatouille (2007)
95. Being There (1979)
96. Nights Of Cabiria (1957)
97. Princess Mononoke (1997)
98. The Browning Version (1951)
99. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
100. Infernal Affairs (2002)

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 79
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:10:36 PM   
MovieAddict247

In Bruges is fantastic (but only at 91?! The other 90 better be good).

quote:

If you have any interest in dwarves, cocaine, prostitutes, canals, fat tourists, pale lager, swearing or just Bruges then this film comes highly recommended.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 80
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:13:57 PM   
rick_7

quote:

In Bruges is fantastic (but only at 91?! The other 90 better be good).

quote:

Agreed. That is an excellent pay-off. Superb film. Usually bouncing around the lower echelons of my Top 100 too.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 81
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:19:24 PM   
rawlinson

All In Bruges fans have read The Pillowman, yeah? You bloody should have, I mention it every time the film comes up.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 82
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:26:44 PM   
impqueen

He really does.

In Bruges is great and I'm always pleased to see critical praise for Ralph Fiennes.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 83
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:28:47 PM   
rawlinson

I just think it's such a brilliant piece of writing and I want everyone to read it.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 84
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:59:01 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I just think it's such a brilliant piece of writing and I want everyone to read it.

You should start a forum book club.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 1:59:20 PM   
paul_ie86

In Bruges is fantastic, and Ralph Fiennes is great. YOU'RE A FUCKING INANIMATE OBJECT and the subsequent apology is one of my favourite parts of the film.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:02:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

Wasn't there talk of a books HoF at one point? I'd love it if Moby Dick, Finnegans Wake, War and Peace and Gravity's Rainbow all turned up in the same round.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 87
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:18:50 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

Wasn't there talk of a books HoF at one point? I'd love it if Moby Dick, Finnegans Wake, War and Peace and Gravity's Rainbow all turned up in the same round.

Throw in In Search of Lost Time and I think we’d lose some forumites.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 88
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:22:57 PM   
rawlinson

It should happen though. Then Gimli can nominate Mr. Bump and everyone will vote for him out of sheer gratitude.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 89
RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films - 7/3/2012 2:46:30 PM   
chambanzi

Should do a novel HOF, my vote would go for Lord of the Flies... love that book.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Chambanzi's Favourite 100 Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI