Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman after Nolan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Batman after Nolan Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman after Nolan - 26/7/2012 12:39:24 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

nolan talks reboot-

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a395250/christopher-nolan-on-batman-reboot-the-character-needs-reinvention.html

possible casting-

http://www.mania.com/cast-next-batman-movie_article_133717.html

Not great choices IMO. Even if it is a reboot I don't want to see the Joker again and Paul Bettany's name has been thrown around for the part for a good decade now. I wouldn't mind seeing it rebooted in a slightly more fantastical direction with some of Batman's mutated villains such as Killer Croc, Man Bat etc.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 151
RE: Batman after Nolan - 26/7/2012 8:09:09 PM   
justfontaine

As to the style of a potential reboot, I would like to see something grounded in the Animated series tone. Heightened attention to the style, not like Burton's Gothic tower haven, but a noir like feel.

Unfortunately, due to the success of The Avengers, we are no doubt going to get something that will tie in with a JLA movie which, I'm afraid, I have very little interest in. Creating a film with the primary objective being financial gain with creative license and exploration coming behind selling a franchise will without doubt hinder further interpretations of the Batman and I feel it may lose its attention to detail and become akin to any one of the faceless marvel vehicles we are subjected to time and time again. I sincerely hope it is not turned into a sideshow for the sake of competing with Marvel.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 152
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 12:36:19 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

Nolan will come back in 10-20 years, with Bale, and make Dark Knight Returns. John Blake is dead and Gotham is once again in need of a saviour...

No he wont, no they wont and it wont happen.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 153
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 2:23:54 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

One thing you movie illuminati could explain as I've never understood this...

Warners owns DC.

The DCAU movies and shows are widely regarded as the best/most faithful/accurate adaptations of the DC properties (outside of the source material)

Bruce Timm/Paul Dini work for Warners.

Warners needs a successful superhero - I was going to say franchise, but it has that in Batman... It needs... to challenge Marvel in the movie arena.

I don't under stand why the Timm/Dini team haven't been approached to take on - the Wonder Woman TV show, for instance. Or the Justice League movie.

Yes, animation is a different medium, but Team Timm seem to have the characterisation so nailed on - surely these people could work on a DC movie as producers, writers.... consultants even.

Does anyone know if this was ever even raised in the hallowed halls of WB?

Boaz Yakin (Remember The Titans) was very keen to work with Dini/Burnett on a live action Batman Beyond film for him to direct, and got them onboard with Timm consulting. But WB balked at the apparently R-rated script, and put it on hold once Nolan's project came to prominence.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 154
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 8:07:59 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Well - this is good news, I think. If Timm is on the WB radar for live action, that can only be a good thing. Fingers crossed for his (and his team's) future involvement,

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 155
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 11:06:04 AM   
jobloffski

Good for the Fans. Maybe a little shite for the mainstream cinema audience, the main source of the income these films have to tap.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 156
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 12:01:58 PM   
Russ Whitfield

How is nailing the characterisation of DC's major properties shite for mainstream audiences?

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 157
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 12:26:19 PM   
jobloffski

Misread the post above mine (only gave a glance) and commented that a Batman Beyond (old Bruce trains young Batman replacement) would be shite. That said, live action being such a different kettle of fish to animation, there is no cast iron guarantee that using tested personnel who have been doing something for years can translate pics to flicks, and who may have already done the best work they will ever be capable of would be any better for the job than hungry untested creatives with something to prove and fresh minds to bring to the party.

I commute my pronouncement to might be shite

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 158
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 12:29:10 PM   
filmfanatic123

If it's based out of a graphic novel, I think they should go for Batman Absolution.

Some people love it, some people hate it but I think it fits the story arc really well. That of a terrorist bombing killing innocent workers at Wayne Enterprises (still going, as Wayne needs the money for his trip away with Selina Kyle!) and Jennifer Blake, the perpetrator of the crime, fleeing the country and Batman chasing her over a 10 year time span.

That's where the new director could come in and take the story on. It doesn't have to be Bale, of course, but the director could pick up on the fact that he survived the explosion at the end of Rises and moved away. Then, when he heard about the terror attack, he donned his cape and cowl again and began chasing Blake.

That could all be done in a flashback, and we could see the final year of the chase - with Blake figuring that she's outsmarted Batman and goes back to doing what she does best - blowing shit up.

Of course, in the graphic novel, Blake is played really sympathetically and you kind of grow to like her, and identify with her as opposed to Batman.

Assuming Bale and Joseph Gordon-Levitt aren't on board, I'd give the Batman part to Jon Hamm as he'd fit the age needed for the '10 years later' plot, and I think he'd play the part really well.

As for Blake, I'd give the part to Jennifer Connelly as she's a fantastic actress and she'd be able to pull of the villain in my eyes.

For the other parts, I'm not sure yet, but I think the movie could work. Maybe the casting, in some people's eyes, would be wrong, but these are just my ramblings...

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Post #: 159
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 1:17:50 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

Nolan will come back in 10-20 years, with Bale, and make Dark Knight Returns. John Blake is dead and Gotham is once again in need of a saviour...

No he wont, no they wont and it wont happen.

And weíll be all the better for it...

Weíve had a stab at a realistic Batman and apart from Rises, it was a rousing success. Letís go back to a more comic orientated Batman now. I want to see the likes of Clayface and Killer Croc... but above all, I want to see Man Bat get the movie treatment.

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

As to the style of a potential reboot, I would like to see something grounded in the Animated series tone. Heightened attention to the style, not like Burton's Gothic tower haven, but a noir like feel.

Yep, just like that will do very nicely indeed!

I hope these Nolan films do not dictate the tone of Batman films for many years to come, like Donner did with Superman. Give us a nice stylised Gotham (as in quote above) to tell future stories in too. Apart from Begins, with the Narrows and the el train system, Nolan didnít do this. Gotham got progressively more dull and boring as the films went along. In Begins it was a huge sprawling metropolis jutting out into the sea and it looked and felt great... by Rises, it was just shots of New York which weíve seen a million times before. Uninspired and dull... like Rises as a whole really.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 160
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 3:51:08 PM   
jon5000

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say Nolan was good, but let's have a Batman film now.

Let's have Gotham as a dark and sinister place. Let's have Batman as a true creature of the night. Let's have a Bruce Wayne truly enraged by the murder of his parents. Let's have him visiting that grave. Let's have villains as comic book villains. No campness, no hyper reality... just the Batman world as it is month in month out in the comics.

Please

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 161
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 4:47:05 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say Nolan was good, but let's have a Batman film now.

Let's have Gotham as a dark and sinister place. Let's have Batman as a true creature of the night. Let's have a Bruce Wayne truly enraged by the murder of his parents. Let's have him visiting that grave. Let's have villains as comic book villains. No campness, no hyper reality... just the Batman world as it is month in month out in the comics.

Please

Gets my vote.

The tag line Empire attached to their review on the home page is somewhat laughable having now seen TDKR:

God help the bloke who reboots this!

I donít actually think itís too tall an order seeing as TDKR really let the trilogy down as a whole for many, myself included.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 27/7/2012 4:49:42 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 162
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 8:53:34 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

Please

Gets my vote.

The tag line Empire attached to their review on the home page is somewhat laughable having now seen TDKR:

I donít actually think itís too tall an order seeing as TDKR really let the trilogy down as a whole for many, myself included.

Actually id say youre in the minority as most people loved the film.And indeed god help the person who reboots this as Nolan has set the bar so high i dont think anyone can top what he has done with this trilogy.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 163
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 9:24:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

Idon't think Nolan's set the bar very high at all and think it would be really easy to top the trilogy!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 164
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/7/2012 10:10:43 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Idon't think Nolan's set the bar very high at all and think it would be really easy to top the trilogy!

And for that comment alone I will not check out your reviews.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 165
RE: Batman after Nolan - 28/7/2012 12:48:40 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Hey!, and maybe you could do it,y'know as its so "easy to top".

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 166
RE: Batman after Nolan - 28/7/2012 1:15:32 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

Please

Gets my vote.

Actually id say youre in the minority as most people loved the film.And indeed god help the person who reboots this as Nolan has set the bar so high i dont think anyone can top what he has done with this trilogy.

Oh I know it's the opinion of a minority... We're the realistic ones sent to keep all the undeserved gushing in check

I didn't say anything about topping these films, just that rebooting isn't the impossible task most seem to think. It's got nothing to do with topping as a completely different approach is what's needed. And getting that right will not require devine intervention from above

I didn't hate it... Just disliked it quite a lot.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 167
RE: Batman after Nolan - 28/7/2012 9:23:29 PM   
filmfanatic123

I disagree with the sentiment that all three will be easy to top, as I thought Begins was fantastic and The Dark Knight is one of my all time favourite films.

As for Rises, I was massively disappointed so I wouldn't be against a reboot, as it'd rid my memory of this recent failure (if its any good.)

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Post #: 168
RE: Batman after Nolan - 29/7/2012 2:02:15 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

As for Rises, I was massively disappointed so I wouldn't be against a reboot, as it'd rid my memory of this recent failure (if its any good.)

As someone who enjoyed DKR a lot, I wouldn't be against a reboot either. The story of the Nolan/Bale Batman is over now, so let's see a new take on the character.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 169
RE: Batman after Nolan - 30/7/2012 4:31:24 PM   
bobatim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

As someone who enjoyed DKR a lot, I wouldn't be against a reboot either. The story of the Nolan/Bale Batman is over now, so let's see a new take on the character.

I agree with this as long as it's not another origin story. Begins did that perfectly.

What I'd like to see would be an enemy of the state chase style chase thriller. With Batman being framed buy a criminal 'Mastermind' *insert any of the rogues gallery here* and Batman going on the run in Gotham as he's pursued by the Police and trying to prove it was someone else. In the comics Batman was always avoiding the law anyway so it would lend itself to that and plus his use of gadgets could give it that old school spy movie/ one man against the system feel of films like Enemy of the State, Eagle Eye and the Bourne movies (but don't include horrible shaky cam fighting that only Greengrass got right).

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 170
RE: Batman after Nolan - 31/7/2012 10:55:11 AM   
Russ Whitfield

This is pretty much the impression I get of Batman from reading the New 52 Justice League (I confess, I've not read the proper Batman titles). I think any reboot will follow the New 52 (as Man of Steel appears to have).

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 171
RE: Batman after Nolan - 31/7/2012 2:28:10 PM   
KeithM

So this is where all the sane people are.

quote:

Please

This. The Arkham games have shown the (a) way, as have the Timm cartoons. I'd like a more comic-bookish, Arkham Asylum/City, Kevin Conroy-sh, more self-assured Batman next time around. Play it straight and serious, but with full-on Batshit craziness too.

I can also just about see the Conroy-style Batman interacting with the Justice League, albeit very sceptically, unlike Nolan's, which you just couldn't, I'm still not convinced a Justice League movie is the way to go, but if they do go down that route we need a Batman who can interact with others and not look stupid and utterly out-of-place. Um. Relatively.

Post #: 172
RE: Batman after Nolan - 31/7/2012 3:01:58 PM   
Russ Whitfield

The do sort of address this issue in the New 52 JLA where no one can quite believe that Batman is "just a guy in a bat costume." Its really quite funny in places, in the issues I've read thus far, its a bit of a running joke. Its very similar to the way that they play on Batman's terse scariness in the JL and JLU cartoons (the one where he makes Orion go to the Flash Museum springs to mind). So whilst Batman is still scary and dark, the there's room for levity (where in the Noloverse there clearly isn't that scope).

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 173
RE: Batman after Nolan - 1/8/2012 2:05:41 PM   
spark1

would still like to see the rest of the bat villains- riddler, penguin, hugo strange-done in the nolan style.

Post #: 174
RE: Batman after Nolan - 2/8/2012 12:23:12 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I don't understand this talk of having to "top this or that". It isn't a pony show, you only need to match what's come before. A different tone and focus is what's needed here and I'm fully on-board for a Arkham Asylum/City type reality. Not away with the neon fairies like Schumacher but one that is more fantastical than Nolan's version which can accomodate the more ostentatious or outlandish villains in the rogues gallery. And I would like to see a Batman that can fit into the Justice League. I think such a team-up could be fascinating.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 2/8/2012 12:24:35 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 175
RE: Batman after Nolan - 2/8/2012 6:16:51 PM   
The Hooded Man

How about Warners don't do anything until somebody comes along with a great idea instead of just firing it out to make money?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 176
RE: Batman after Nolan - 3/8/2012 2:23:56 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Well yes that would be preferable.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 177
RE: Batman after Nolan - 3/8/2012 1:15:53 PM   
Whistler

Warner Brothers planning for a 2016 release date.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/not-wasting-any-time-wb-to-bring-a-new-batman-franchise-to-theaters-in-2016

I still think rebooting it is a stupid idea.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 178
RE: Batman after Nolan - 3/8/2012 2:20:09 PM   
pete_traynor

They mentioned Man Bat... so this is the way to go!

Sounds good to me as I want to see the more fantastical elements back in. Weíve tried real, letís move past that now.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 179
RE: Batman after Nolan - 7/8/2012 10:15:49 AM   
spark1

ew.com thinks they should adapt 'hush'-

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/08/06/dark-knight-rises-batman-franchise/

if they did i doubt it will be a full adapt, just some of the key elements.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Batman after Nolan Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI