Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman after Nolan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Batman after Nolan Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/4/2012 10:02:22 AM   
Rob

Given that the Avengers is going to be massive and all of the solo films leading into it have been successful I wonder if this will impact WB / DC's thinking. Green Lantern failed to deliver the necessary money to kick start a franchise, we're three months away from Nolan's final Batman film and so the only superhero movie in production for WB / DC is Superman. Therefore they are at a cross-roads. So what next?

Justice League: I think this is unlikely given that Green Lantern failed to catch on and that they are pushing on with a stand-alone Superman film.

Their most profitable and arguably widely recognised hero is Batman but how can they approach it in a new manner? Well my thought would be this;

Do a series of standalone films set within the Bat-family and Gotham. Obviously start with Batman but you could have a Nightwing film, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman or Birds of Prey film and them have come together ala the Avengers.

The concerns however, would be that the characters to the public at large don't seem to be vastly different from each other. As an avid reader of comics I know that certainly isn't the case but they perhaps lack the clear differences that a God, a Super Soldier, an Iron Man and a green rage monster have. Also the fact that they are all "street-level" heroes perhaps would nullify the epic feel that you'd want from a film of this size.

That said if they do it right then it could work

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 121
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/4/2012 10:42:39 AM   
ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Given that the Avengers is going to be massive and all of the solo films leading into it have been successful I wonder if this will impact WB / DC's thinking. Green Lantern failed to deliver the necessary money to kick start a franchise, we're three months away from Nolan's final Batman film and so the only superhero movie in production for WB / DC is Superman. Therefore they are at a cross-roads. So what next?

Justice League: I think this is unlikely given that Green Lantern failed to catch on and that they are pushing on with a stand-alone Superman film.

Their most profitable and arguably widely recognised hero is Batman but how can they approach it in a new manner? Well my thought would be this;

Do a series of standalone films set within the Bat-family and Gotham. Obviously start with Batman but you could have a Nightwing film, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman or Birds of Prey film and them have come together ala the Avengers.

The concerns however, would be that the characters to the public at large don't seem to be vastly different from each other. As an avid reader of comics I know that certainly isn't the case but they perhaps lack the clear differences that a God, a Super Soldier, an Iron Man and a green rage monster have. Also the fact that they are all "street-level" heroes perhaps would nullify the epic feel that you'd want from a film of this size.

Saw Avengers last night and was genuinely really impressed with it. Looks like it will do serious business. Therefore, the more I think about it the more I think an adaptation of Arkham Asylum/City would be the next logical step for WB. Personally I could live without a JL movie but if it had to be done then this route would reintroduce the character in a more comic way that could lead to a JL movie, plus the Arkham source material as most know is very strong anyway. No reboot or remake needed. Not technically a sequel, so no cheap imitation of Nolan's style. Everyone wins...maybe. And with all due respect I cant see anyone even remotely interested in seeing standalone films about the Bat Family except die hard comic book fans.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 122
RE: Batman after Nolan - 27/4/2012 11:31:28 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

quote:

Saw Avengers last night and was genuinely really impressed with it. Looks like it will do serious business. Therefore, the more I think about it the more I think an adaptation of Arkham Asylum/City would be the next logical step for WB. Personally I could live without a JL movie but if it had to be done then this route would reintroduce the character in a more comic way that could lead to a JL movie, plus the Arkham source material as most know is very strong anyway. No reboot or remake needed. Not technically a sequel, so no cheap imitation of Nolan's style. Everyone wins...maybe. And with all due respect I cant see anyone even remotely interested in seeing standalone films about the Bat Family except die hard comic book fans.

You're probably right but then that's what a lot of people thought about a film with Iron Man! And even though it's hardly enough evidence to green light a movie, titles like Nightwing and Batgirl currently sell more than Iron Man on a monthly basis.

However, it will never happen and I too hope that they follow the Arkham Asylum sensibility in that it's dark, gritty but also has that more fantastical element that the current generation of Batflicks have avoided

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 123
RE: Batman after Nolan - 28/4/2012 12:34:57 PM   
spark1

so mapping out a new bat universe comes down to casting as much as with a great script.
counter casting by nolan and with marvel universe on screen has enriched comic book movies.

so who should play the bat, gordon, alfred and the joker?

< Message edited by spark1 -- 30/4/2012 10:22:49 AM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 124
RE: Batman after Nolan - 9/5/2012 8:48:53 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

quote:

Yeah, I think they even canned the Batgirl animated feature. It might work the other way around though. Introduce some of these characters in the Batman films, and if any prove popular enough they might get a spin-off.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 125
RE: Batman after Nolan - 25/6/2012 10:15:35 AM   
spark1

looks like a reboot is absolutly necessary as nolan's batman ends with this movie.

nolan's trilogy is now similar to frank millar's 'dark knight returns', seperate from the main comic mythology.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 25/6/2012 2:02:42 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 126
RE: Batman after Nolan - 25/6/2012 2:51:25 PM   
ravagee

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

looks like a reboot is absolutly necessary as nolan's batman ends with this movie.

nolan's trilogy is now similar to frank millar's 'dark knight returns', seperate from the main comic mythology.

The sad thing is Warner will push for a reboot, particularly if a Justice League film is on the card. I just really wish they'd leave it alone for at least a decade because I'll be surprised if they make anything nearly half as good as The Dark Knight. I could be wrong of course.

Either way Warner are not going to let this Cash Cow slip. It wouldn't surprise me if in four years they try and bribe Nolan to come back for one more...

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

If I peed my pants would you pretend that I just got wet from the rain?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 127
RE: Batman after Nolan - 25/6/2012 5:30:48 PM   
jobloffski

Hope Nolan doesn't get tempted to do another, cos if the latest has been approached from a 'saying all I have left to say about this character' perspective then anything but a potential The Dark Knight Returns at some point may simply not work under Nolan.

The good thing about the success under Nolan is that any Reboot has, dramatically, places it can go that wouldn't have been possible before and WB/DC aren't gonna be skimping on either the cash or the integrity of the character (and no director wants to be the one to miss the mark in the wake of Nolan's films, so any reinvention should at least have a lot of thought put into it.

My personal hope would have been for a tonal continuation, introducing further elements into the Nolanesque type Batverse, for new things for Batman to encounter, not understand and then overcome, because you can go anywhere, sci-fi wise, supernatural wise that way, AND counter the less hardcore feeling of disbelief about such things by having Batman be expressing disbelief himself. Evolution, not revolution would be my 'businesslike' approach and I think that would appeal to the money men at least, since Nolan has brought a lot of viewers in that wouldn;t necessarily go along with a radical more comic book reboot, in pure business terms, it doesn't make much sense to reboot too extremely while there is something to lose, and, much less box office than Nolan = failure in movie lore as yet unwritten.

But that would depend on where Nolan leaves the main character at. Can't continue from a dead batman ending, but you can from a batman becomes the fully fledged, fully accepted Caped Crusader ending (cos the character creation arc is completed and then you can make a long series of films using major adversaries and also reboot the joker, a total box office banker when it comes along, and this series doesn't have to be so rooted in reality, it can add what it wants to add and broaden the world of the story).

Then again, DC might just trial out a new Batman in a JLA film and if that goes well, rebuild Gotham as part of a world where superheroes do exist and magical powers/superpowers are not unwanted whistles and bells).

Or they could go wherever.

Whatever, I'll go and see whatever gets made and then praise/bitch about the results

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 25/6/2012 5:31:56 PM >

(in reply to ravagee)
Post #: 128
RE: Batman after Nolan - 28/6/2012 8:32:52 PM   
drews

I would like to see them make the Batman vs Superman movie that was once talked about. There was a script online for a long time.

Would be awesome

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 129
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/7/2012 1:15:40 AM   
Spaldron

I reckon a gritty, noir-ish multi thread tv series could be the way forward as mentioned upthread. Maybe HBO could take it on, make it decent budget like Boardwalk Empire, possibly even give it a period setting. Not every ep would focus on Bats but on Gotham's underbelly, shifting focus between the cops and the crims. Call it simply, Gotham or Gotham City, something like that.

Either that or an Arkham style movie.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 130
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/7/2012 8:26:27 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I reckon a gritty, noir-ish multi thread tv series could be the way forward as mentioned upthread. Maybe HBO could take it on, make it decent budget like Boardwalk Empire, possibly even give it a period setting. Not every ep would focus on Bats but on Gotham's underbelly, shifting focus between the cops and the crims. Call it simply, Gotham or Gotham City, something like that.

I hadn't thought of this, but it sounds like a terrific idea.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 131
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/7/2012 3:23:10 PM   
pete_traynor

As soon as Nolan has moved on, no doubt WB will post convert and release the trilogy in 3D ASAP.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 132
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/7/2012 3:52:09 PM   
spark1

having seen 'rises' i think nolan has given future movies room to move to more fantastical elements.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 133
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/7/2012 11:10:43 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I hadn't thought of this, but it sounds like a terrific idea.

They should adapt Gotham Central as quite a few sites have suggested in the past - it focused on the GCPD (including longtime supporting characters like Bullock and Montoya) and how they handle the metahuman stuff, very noir and street level - think The Wire but set in Gotham; Batman, his sidekicks and the really colourful villains were only seen in glimpses for most of it although Joker and Two Face featured heavily in a couple of stories.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 20/7/2012 11:11:40 PM >

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 134
RE: Batman after Nolan - 23/7/2012 4:07:13 PM   
filmfanatic123

It did look like Nolan was passing the flame, as is done in the movie, as he's given a director a foothold if they want to come in and make another movie.

I'd love to see a standalone Catwoman movie with Anne Hathaway, but I don't really think that's likely considering the atrocious mess that Halle Berry's Catwoman got into.

In fact, I think it'd be better if they just left this well alone. We have Man of Steel next year, and Nolan is producing, so I'd like them to just move on and leave this trilogy as it is - masterful.

If they tack another sequel on then it'll cheapen everything that Nolan, Bale and Ledger achieved.

Although, if they did make another, I'd like it to be about Batman's self-imposed exile that is touched upon in Rises. Maybe show JGL and Oldman cleaning up the streets using the Dent act, and have minor villains come back. The Scarecrow was in Rises, so he could be in the next one as well...

< Message edited by filmfanatic123 -- 23/7/2012 4:09:06 PM >

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 135
RE: Batman after Nolan - 23/7/2012 4:25:48 PM   
The Hooded Man

Will we see a John Blake Batman film with him joining the Justice League? Or will we have a complete change of direction, I don't really care for another origin story. I have a terrible fear we're going to get a Len Wiseman / Bradley Cooper shit fest.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 23/7/2012 4:31:51 PM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 136
RE: Batman after Nolan - 23/7/2012 4:32:54 PM   
Rob

I'd be hugely surprised if WB continued with Nolan's version at all. I think they'll wait a few years and then reboot. However, I too don't want another origin story so perhaps they could do a quick pre-credits sequence explaining how Bruce Wayne became Batman (most people know anyway) and then just launch straight into his latest adventure.

When the rebooted Hulk didn't they do a quick explanation in the credits of the Edward Norton version? I've only seen it once but remember there being something like that.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 137
RE: Batman after Nolan - 23/7/2012 4:47:05 PM   
The Hooded Man

Yeah Punisher Warzone did something similar by having a few flashback montages.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 138
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 12:37:17 PM   
Cool Breeze

SPOILERS FOR THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.....

Given the films ending i dont think they need to reboot at all.It would make the idea of Joseph Gordon Levitts character having the mantle of the Bat being passed on to him seem like such a waste.I really liked his character and would love to see the series continue with Blake being the new Batman ( or a possible Nightwing movie at least? ).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 139
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 12:43:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

I wonder how long they will wait to undertake a reboot.

Going to be interesting to see the direction they go. As for directors - I am being a total fanboy here but would love to see Winding-Refn get a shot at it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 140
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 12:55:31 PM   
Timbzy

there will be another 3 or 4 straight to dvd sequels

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 141
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 1:00:09 PM   
Russ Whitfield

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

I'd love to see a standalone Catwoman movie with Anne Hathaway, but I don't really think that's likely considering the atrocious mess that Halle Berry's Catwoman got into.

That's on the cards - if Nolan goes there, she's up for doing it.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/catwoman-movie-anne-hathaway-would-do-it/?utm_source=scifinow&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=twitterfeed

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 142
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 1:05:09 PM   
Russ Whitfield

One thing you movie illuminati could explain as I've never understood this...

Warners owns DC.

The DCAU movies and shows are widely regarded as the best/most faithful/accurate adaptations of the DC properties (outside of the source material)

Bruce Timm/Paul Dini work for Warners.

Warners needs a successful superhero - I was going to say franchise, but it has that in Batman... It needs... to challenge Marvel in the movie arena.

I don't under stand why the Timm/Dini team haven't been approached to take on - the Wonder Woman TV show, for instance. Or the Justice League movie.

Yes, animation is a different medium, but Team Timm seem to have the characterisation so nailed on - surely these people could work on a DC movie as producers, writers.... consultants even.

Does anyone know if this was ever even raised in the hallowed halls of WB?

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 143
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 1:11:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

You forget that Warners is more than just DC. They only just finished off doing Harry Potter. Marvel Studios have one purpose and one purpose only - to make superhero movies.

It really isn't fair to compare the two to be honest. And more to the point when the final box office tallies come in I suspect TDKR won't be far off the Avengers box office - without the aid of 3D.

I am sure that Warners will be thinking about a team up movie but they have plenty of other films making lots of money for them inbetween. Marvel needed the Avengers....Warners doesn't have the same need.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 144
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 1:18:30 PM   
Russ Whitfield

That's true - but creatively... for me, its a no-brainer.

They just tried (and failed) with the Wonder Woman TV show. I liked Green Lantern, but clearly I'm in the minority (and to be fair, it was a case of "could do better" on the GL school report) - I'm just curious as to whether the Timm Team has ever been approached about the live action franchises and opted not to go there... I can't imagine this has never come up in the WB boardroom at some stage.

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 145
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 1:57:28 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

That's on the cards - if Nolan goes there, she's up for doing it.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/catwoman-movie-anne-hathaway-would-do-it/?utm_source=scifinow&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=twitterfeed

one of the many mistakes made with the berry movie was ignore selina as catwoman.

hathaway's selina was based on the comic and nolan has established that on screen so a spin off is more viable now.
maybe they could include 'birds of prey' and 'gotham central' as well into a 'catwoman' movie.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 26/7/2012 10:20:24 AM >

Post #: 146
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 8:16:21 PM   
KeithM

Nolan will come back in 10-20 years, with Bale, and make Dark Knight Returns. John Blake is dead and Gotham is once again in need of a saviour...

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 147
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 8:26:38 PM   
Vadersville

I doubt that as many of the themes and ideas of The Dark Knight Returns were already explored in this film.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 148
RE: Batman after Nolan - 24/7/2012 8:31:57 PM   
KeithM

That didn't bother Singer.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 149
RE: Batman after Nolan - 26/7/2012 10:22:36 AM   
spark1

nolan talks reboot-

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a395250/christopher-nolan-on-batman-reboot-the-character-needs-reinvention.html

possible casting-

http://www.mania.com/cast-next-batman-movie_article_133717.html

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Batman after Nolan Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI