Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman after Nolan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Batman after Nolan Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman after Nolan - 10/3/2012 9:15:13 PM   
sanctumest

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Totally embrace the beautiful Deco aesthetic of the animated series. Embrace it so much in fact that you set it in the 30ís or 40ís. Stepping back a few decades worked pretty well in First Class, so why not take that route with Batman? Tell a story set in the period of the characters creation.

In the hands of the right director that could be a seriously stylish film. A Batman noir if you will. The thought of Batman swinging though a sprawling Gotham made up of gorgeous towering Deco skyscrapers is the way forwards (or backwards if you take my meaning) for me.

I want them to go a million miles away from the Nolan films. Donít get me wrong, heís done a brilliant job! But leave these ideas now and try something totally new... and a little bit daring!

Poster in this vein would be nice too:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt13zf9IDS1qar5nco1_500.png

This is the way to go for me. The problem with an ongoing modern set Batman is the tech has to get more and more fantastic, and in a world like Nolan's it can only go so far without becoming out of step with the realistic overall vision. A Twenties or Thirties revamp would re introduce an element of fantasy, a steampunk tech approach, that would take a new, lighter, adventurous look at Batman. A (slightly) more innocent age would give the story room to play.

I love Nolan's Batman, and think 3 films is a perfect way to close. To carry on in that universe would be constricting, and to be honest, pointless.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 91
RE: Batman after Nolan - 12/3/2012 1:50:57 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanctumest

quote:

Totally embrace the beautiful Deco aesthetic of the animated series. Embrace it so much in fact that you set it in the 30ís or 40ís. Stepping back a few decades worked pretty well in First Class, so why not take that route with Batman? Tell a story set in the period of the characters creation.

In the hands of the right director that could be a seriously stylish film. A Batman noir if you will. The thought of Batman swinging though a sprawling Gotham made up of gorgeous towering Deco skyscrapers is the way forwards (or backwards if you take my meaning) for me.

I want them to go a million miles away from the Nolan films. Donít get me wrong, heís done a brilliant job! But leave these ideas now and try something totally new... and a little bit daring!

Poster in this vein would be nice too:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt13zf9IDS1qar5nco1_500.png

This is the way to go for me. The problem with an ongoing modern set Batman is the tech has to get more and more fantastic, and in a world like Nolan's it can only go so far without becoming out of step with the realistic overall vision. A Twenties or Thirties revamp would re introduce an element of fantasy, a steampunk tech approach, that would take a new, lighter, adventurous look at Batman. A (slightly) more innocent age would give the story room to play.

I love Nolan's Batman, and think 3 films is a perfect way to close. To carry on in that universe would be constricting, and to be honest, pointless.

If you dipped slightly into the 40ís you could play on the Manhattan Project. One of the scientists gets a little too close to his work and you can have yourself an atomic mutated ManBat right there. Just a thought but it would be cool to play with a backdrop of historical events and how they may intersect with Batmans life.

I definitely want to see the more fantastical villains on screen now!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to sanctumest)
Post #: 92
RE: Batman after Nolan - 12/3/2012 2:22:25 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

If you dipped slightly into the 40ís you could play on the Manhattan Project. One of the scientists gets a little too close to his work and you can have yourself an atomic mutated ManBat right there. Just a thought but it would be cool to play with a backdrop of historical events and how they may intersect with Batmans life.

Slightly off-topic, but you should have a read of Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier if you haven't before, Pete. It sort of does the same thing with the Justice League characters set in the 60s.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 93
RE: Batman after Nolan - 15/3/2012 4:50:03 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Let's get back to Batman. New Director should bring a new style. Michael Mann is a fascinating choice but he seems to be past his best so how about Raimi, R. Scott or someone odd like Steve McQueen.

Mann and Raimi though interesting I don't think would actually "add" anything. When Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan were chosen to do their Bat-Films thery were both up and coming directors with an individual aesthetic and a new eye, a new way of looking at cinema (or at least a way that had previously been forgotten, if not original). Burton was (is) all gothic aesthetic and Nolan a new master of the intelligent thriller, all red herrings and non chronological narrative tricks. They both had a lot to offer franchises that were dead in the water at the time they took over.

Now I doubt very much that the franchise will need reviving in the same way, unless TDKR is a total disaster (which I really can't see happening), so someone established just picking up the baton would be interesting, but we've seen what a Raimi superhero movie looks like. And Nolan's directing of TDK is (as we know) heavily influenced by Mann's "Heat". Would they offer anything new? I doubt it.

McQueen on the other hand, now that would be really interesting, if it was something that "floated his boat", I get the feeling he's way too serious to take on a bat-film though.

My suggestions therefore would be to give it to a new kid on the block at first and see what ideas they come up with. Josh Trank's Chronicle is one film I was very impresssed with recently, or someone like Daniel Myrick maybe.

Although, having said that Warners probably wouldn't be able to resist interfering with a fairly new director or someone who's only ever done low budget before, unlike the way they let Nolan get on with Batman Begins.*

Having said all that, they can give it to anyone as long as McG and Bay are allowed nowhere near it.

* hopefully the rumour that Nolan and Thomas will be producers will ensure that studio interference is kept to a minimum.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 15/3/2012 4:57:27 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 94
RE: Batman after Nolan - 15/3/2012 5:04:13 PM   
Timon

Personally, I'd like to see two possible approaches:

1. The style that is shown in Arkham Asylum/City - fantastical, but still done in a dark, gritty manner. Have Batman fully established with his allies (Oracle, Fox and co.) taking on some new powerful threat.

2. Have an old Bruce Wayne (Clint Eastwood) who has hung up his cape and have him training a replacement. Sort of a darker Mask of Zorro.... I think this was one of the ideas Aronofsky had when he was on the project.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 95
RE: Batman after Nolan - 15/3/2012 5:12:36 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

1. The style that is shown in Arkham Asylum/City - fantastical, but still done in a dark, gritty manner. Have Batman fully established with his allies (Oracle, Fox and co.) taking on some new powerful threat.

2. Have an old Bruce Wayne (Clint Eastwood) who has hung up his cape and have him training a replacement. Sort of a darker Mask of Zorro.... I think this was one of the ideas Aronofsky had when he was on the project.

Yeah that's what I'm after. I really don't think it's been done yet and would be the most logical step in my opinion.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 96
RE: Batman after Nolan - 15/3/2012 8:17:35 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Yeah that's what I'm after. I really don't think it's been done yet and would be the most logical step in my opinion.

I agree too. One of the great things about Arkham City/Asylum is that to took on some of the most outrageous of Batman's rogues gallery and made then menacing and credible. The likes of The Mad Hatter and Solomon Grundy are excellent in Arkham City. Also if filmmakers could mix in a bit of the ultra dark, Serious House On Serious Earth graphic novel, that would be a really exciting Batman Prospect.

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 97
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 5:51:44 PM   
musht

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-batman-dark-knight-rises/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

I'm presuming this is bollox because no one else has picked up on it. But out of curiosity what would people think about this. I like Reynolds but I don't see him as Batman unless they reverted to a lighter tone, but even still it just doesn't seem right. I'm presuming a lot of true fans may feel a lot stronger about this, though.

Duncan Jones wouldn't be bad as a director but I'd prefer him to stick with his sci-fi films which so far I have been very impressed with.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 98
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 5:55:40 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Reynolds as Batman?
Duncan Jones (maybe) the Director?

Its different I give them that

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 99
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 6:00:03 PM   
ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-batman-dark-knight-rises/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

I'm presuming this is bollox because no one else has picked up on it. But out of curiosity what would people think about this. I like Reynolds but I don't see him as Batman unless they reverted to a lighter tone, but even still it just doesn't seem right. I'm presuming a lot of true fans may feel a lot stronger about this, though.

Duncan Jones wouldn't be bad as a director but I'd prefer him to stick with his sci-fi films which so far I have been very impressed with.

This story was posted on April 1st, so take from that what thou wilt!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 100
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 6:13:27 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

This story was posted on April 1st, so take from that what thou wilt!

Haha never even copped that!!!

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 101
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 6:21:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Does it have to be a live-action reboot?........

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 102
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 7:08:45 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Does it have to be a live-action reboot?........

Yes. Animated projects are ongoing propositions anyway.

And as for the director of the next one, doesn't really matter, as long as it's an appropriate marriage of director and script. For example, if the point of a script was the isolation of the role of hero and how he effectively lives his life yearning for a nornal life he can never have, then Duncan Jones has played with this idea very effectively in his films.

Mann has long, long forgotten how to achieve engagement between a single protagonist and the audience and has relied for too long on style and ensemble casts over driving narrative forward inexorably to a showdown, so he's a no-no. Plus Nolan nicked the best of what Mann could have offered stylistically and enemble (without losing focus on the main character of the piece) for TDK anyway.

Fincher would be a good pick for a future Batman Versus Joker script, because he has very clearly had oppositions of character type with blurred lines between their natures at the forefront of some of his films and can create a 'city' vibe that is oppressive, so if it's urban decay with Batman Versus Joker (or say, Riddler) at the forefront, he's the man for that.

My instincts still feel more normal type films that can be regarded as 'more' than simple comic book adaptations and semi operatic in scale dramas in their own right are the way it will go forward, because fixing what aint broken is not usually the Hollywood way, and the more 'out there' and catering to the comic book aesthetic a film is, the more likely it is that even one mega hit assured via the good will built up by Nolan aside, the audience gained in the last decade, of overwhelmingly people who would never have gone out of the way to see a Batman film before would fall off faster than you can say 'holy plummeting box office!'.

Could go on, but wont.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 16/4/2012 7:10:12 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 103
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 8:38:25 PM   
Lucky Day

Four ideas.

Keanu Reeves. Can only play the one character, that character would make a great Bruce Wayne (chuck the Wachowski's a bone and see what happens )

Pixar Lego Batman the Movie.

I had a dream that Clive Owen was Batman. This would be awesome. It was awesome in my dream and it would be awesome in real life. Another team up with Cuaron? Maybe.

Harley Quinn. I want to see her in a Batman film. Not like this tho ....................

"Batman Triumphant; Prior to the release of Batman & Robin, Mark Protosevich was commissioned by Warner Bros. to write a script for a fifth Batman film titled Batman Triumphant to be directed by Joel Schumacher. Harley Quinn was allegedly included as one of the film's three villains, opposite Scarecrow and Man-Bat. In July 2000, Protosevich confirmed Scarecrow and Quinn as the only two villains. Madonna was rumored for the role, which he had rewritten as the Joker's daughter seeking revenge, not his lover and henchgirl as portrayed in the animated series and Batman comics. Due to Batman & Robin's poor box office run, bad Internet buzz, and several negative reviews from critics, Triumphant was never made, and the film franchise went on hiatus for eight years until Batman Begins in 2005."

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 104
RE: Batman after Nolan - 16/4/2012 9:13:33 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

Four ideas.

Keanu Reeves. Can only play the one character, that character would make a great Bruce Wayne (chuck the Wachowski's a bone and see what happens )

I had a dream that Clive Owen was Batman. This would be awesome. It was awesome in my dream and it would be awesome in real life. Another team up with Cuaron? Maybe.

Harley Quinn. I want to see her in a Batman film. Not like this tho ....................

"Batman Triumphant; Prior to the release of Batman & Robin, Mark Protosevich was commissioned by Warner Bros. to write a script for a fifth Batman film titled Batman Triumphant to be directed by Joel Schumacher. Harley Quinn was allegedly included as one of the film's three villains, opposite Scarecrow and Man-Bat. In July 2000, Protosevich confirmed Scarecrow and Quinn as the only two villains. Madonna was rumored for the role, which he had rewritten as the Joker's daughter seeking revenge, not his lover and henchgirl as portrayed in the animated series and Batman comics. Due to Batman & Robin's poor box office run, bad Internet buzz, and several negative reviews from critics, Triumphant was never made, and the film franchise went on hiatus for eight years until Batman Begins in 2005."

http://i40.tinypic.com/o8xor8.jpg

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 105
RE: Batman after Nolan - 17/4/2012 1:17:16 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Four ideas.

http://i40.tinypic.com/o8xor8.jpg

I have thought about this alot, to the point that I think I may have persuaded myself it is actually happening.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 106
RE: Batman after Nolan - 17/4/2012 2:11:39 PM   
horribleives

If when it's inevitably re-booted in five years or so they decide to go with an older Batman surely John Hamm would be a shoo-in?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 107
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 11:08:55 AM   
Beno

Nic Winding Refn working with Ryan Gosling and Bryan Cranston again.

Gosling as Wayne/Batman and Cranston as Commish Gordon.

OR ......

M.Night Shyamalan working with Bradley Cooper as Wayne/Batman.

Just a couple of things i'd like to see in any reboot.

Oh and no more origin stories for Wayne ........ we know it already!!

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 108
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 12:11:00 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 109
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 12:34:16 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Shyamalan has to prove himself yet again before he is let anywhere NEAR a big beloved franchise like Batman. Fact is he has made two good movies (The 6th Sense and Unbreakable) and done little else other than scupper what momentum he once had. Hello Lady in the Water, and The Last Airbender. Goodbye credability...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 110
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 1:05:23 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Batman is supposed to intimidate his enemies not bore them to sleep.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 111
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 3:49:36 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 112
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 3:54:09 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Done right this could work.
To be honest i would be more confident if Shyamalan were Directing than Bradley Cooper starring. Of course Shyamalan cannot be allowed to have much to do with the storyline or screenplay, leave that to others. But for me Unbreakable shows he could have a good realistic 'full on' Superhero movie in him.
I am in total agreement with criticism of his faults but they are all narrative and story telling related. Im thinking solely as him in Directors chair........ unless he can throw in a twist or two...... but thats all.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 113
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 4:27:48 PM   
st3veebee

What about, hear me out, wait for it..... Lars Von Trier?

If you want someone who can take over and do something similar to Nolan then Duncan Jones is perfect.

All I insist (apart from obviousl not Bay or McG) is no JJ Abrahams batman.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 114
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 4:51:08 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

What about, hear me out, wait for it..... Lars Von Trier?

Oooh no, he'd have Batman accidently killing Alfred and then commiting suicide or something....

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 115
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 7:26:53 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

OR ......

Just a couple of things i'd like to see in any reboot.

Oh and no more origin stories for Wayne ........ we know it already!!

Hahahahahaha! ....Oh wait, you were serious???

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 116
RE: Batman after Nolan - 19/4/2012 8:04:11 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Not bore them to sleep? Someone wants to tell Christian Bale that then. He's been getting away with it for years.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 117
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/4/2012 12:37:15 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'd love it to be directed by someone like David Lynch or Guillermo Tel Toro,two Directors who I think will give Batman his terriyfying edge back.
But these are also two Directors who possibly wont be interested in the job in my opinion.

But deep down I reckon DC would want the new Batman movie franchise to be like that of Marvels latest Movie offerings.
Directors like Singer,Whesdon (who I like),Vaughn,Snyder will most likely be in DC's thoughts,and none of which I have any problem with other than Snyder,who's Man Of Steel adaptation is strongly holding my interest not due to Snyder more down to the subject.But "if" Snyder hits the mark then he could be a serious contender due to his working relationship with Nolan,who I gather is also going to be having a big say in the next Batman Films director and ideals.

Edit: As for B.W/Batman.If they are going for an older,experienced Bruce Wayne then I think Russel Crowe would be a good shout.
He can portray grittyness and aggresion in equal measure.

Or if they are going alittle bit younger why not Judge Dredd to be Karl Urban

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 20/4/2012 2:25:37 PM >

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 118
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/4/2012 4:30:43 PM   
Marwood

quote:

Hells yes.

Anyone else think for a pure Drive reuinion they could work Albert Brooks in somewhere? Penguin? How about Ron Perlman as Killer Croc?

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 119
RE: Batman after Nolan - 20/4/2012 5:01:39 PM   
Wild about Wilder

It'd be interesting if they jumped 3 Robins to have the latest 1 Damion (the offshoot of Bruce & Tahlia) included "Talk about Daddy issues?".

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Batman after Nolan Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI