Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Soccermen: Coaching The Worst Team In The World

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Soccermen: Coaching The Worst Team In The World Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Soccermen: Coaching The Worst Team In The World - 1/3/2012 2:01:14 PM   
Timon

I went to school many years ago with Paul Watson (brother of comedian Mark Watson) and in 2009, he became the world's youngest international football coach by taking over a team of players representing the remote island of Pohnpei in Micronesia.

With his best mate, they took the reigns of a team touted as "the worst soccer team in the world". It seemed like a good idea at the time, but soon found themselves on a remote Pacific Island with a population whose obesity rate is 90 percent, toad-infested facilities and one of the world's wettest climates. With no resources and the hopes of 16 Islanders resting on their shoulders, the coaches take their team to the mainland in search of the the island's first ever victory.

Anyway, Paul has written a book - Up Pohnpei - which he has been plugging on multiple sport shows and is currently trying to get funds to turn his story into a documentary film a la Senna.

Currently called The Soccermen, it follows their exploits during their time there BUT they need $35,000 to make it a reality... and only have $16,000 thus far. Take a look. There's a trailer and everything. It might even inspire you to buy the book. I did... and I don't even like football.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2028948731/the-soccermen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Up-Pohnpei-football-ultimate-underdogs/dp/184668501X

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The Soccermen - 23/10/2012 2:09:15 PM   
Timon

Trailer time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixui2hT7wpg&feature=related

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Soccermen: Coaching The Worst Team In The World Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI