Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hunger Games UK rating

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Hunger Games UK rating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 12/3/2012 8:20:38 PM   
boredisboring

Yeah you're right I was just hoping that there will be more deaths shown in the scene, because its such a great contrast in atmosphere from the previous half of the book leading up to the games and then the actual real violence and danger when the games first begin and the kids immediately start to kill each other.

I'm probably just overreacting, I'm sure I won't actually notice the changes when watching the film.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 31
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 12/3/2012 8:32:39 PM   
Super Hans

I'm sure the certificate and cuts won't make the film any better or worse than it's going to be to be honest. The books are fairly dark and brutal for teens books but at the end of the day they are teens books. While the theme of the deathmatch games might sit happily in the 15 bracket, the youngster characters and sexless tweenish love triangle are firmly 12A stuff.

If a few slightly lingering shots of blood are the difference between excluding the book's core audience and pandering to us grown-ups who've hijacked them for our own, they probably made the sensible decision. The fact that it's so close should satisfy enough.

Looking forward to the reviews now and, unless they've managed to make a turkey of it, a trip to the flicks soon!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 32
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 12/3/2012 9:09:48 PM   
boredisboring

Yeah I suppose if I want gore I'll just watch Battle Royale again lol

As to whether the film is any good; the embargo is still being held but a lot of reviewers (Slashfilm, IGN, IFC etc.) who saw an advanced screening (plus there is the premier tonight in the US) have said that the film is excellent and a very good film not just a good adaption.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 33
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 13/3/2012 3:13:18 PM   
MartinBlank76

Supposedly it has been given a 12A after several seconds of cuts were made.

Not surprised really, the studio wouldnt have wanted this to be anymore than a 12A otherwise you are prohibiting a large section of your target market from seeing the film and that would hurt profits.

I have read the books and I think they can get away with a 12A. They will probably be violent, just not very bloody.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to boredisboring)
Post #: 34
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 13/3/2012 5:38:44 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

7 seconds. Meh.

I agree with the 'meh'.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 35
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 13/3/2012 10:54:14 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I've just checked in with this. Seems like it's actually more than 7 seconds. Lionsgate had already cut/made alerations to the film before it's final submission to the BBFC. They then went on to cut the extra 7 seconds which Lionsgate then agreed to. So all in all there's no way to know how much has been cut until a comparisson can be made.

BTW people who say they've read the book and can't see anything overtly violent...did your brain just switch off during the last act of the book? There is a pretty narly 'incident' which would for sure upset a lot of kids and be considered pretty bloody. Not going into specifics to avoid spoilers.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 36
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 13/3/2012 11:15:49 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I've just checked in with this. Seems like it's actually more than 7 seconds. Lionsgate had already cut/made alerations to the film before it's final submission to the BBFC. They then went on to cut the extra 7 seconds which Lionsgate then agreed to. So all in all there's no way to know how much has been cut until a comparisson can be made.

BTW people who say they've read the book and can't see anything overtly violent...did your brain just switch off during the last act of the book? There is a pretty narly 'incident' which would for sure upset a lot of kids and be considered pretty bloody. Not going into specifics to avoid spoilers.

Are you talking about the part when [beep] gets [beepen] by the [beeps]?

If so, that's a scene that again is about suggestion rather than explicit violence. If filmed from the perspective of [beep] then it would be from a distance because [beep] is on top of the [beep]. [beep] was also surrounded by [beeps] so it was hard for [beep] to get a good look.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 37
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 13/3/2012 11:38:55 PM   
Scruffybobby

I was expecting a 12A for this and there's nothing in any of the books that's really that explicit so I'm not overly bothered by the fact that it's been edited but I would like to have been able to see it uncut. I guess that's just the nature of the beast though. The studios will always want bums on seats and they're not going to get that if a large part of the target audience is excluded. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 38
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 14/3/2012 7:36:30 AM   
riksworld

Young adult is very Nice Movie.

Post #: 39
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 14/3/2012 4:03:07 PM   
Scotio

The BBFC have posted their extended classification basically saying in the cut version "much of the violence is offscreen" and that there is "far less violence than in the book".

(in reply to riksworld)
Post #: 40
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 14/3/2012 11:01:03 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I'm only half way through the third book, but I agree that there are some notably darker themes coming through - prostitution for one.

I've just been reading the extended information on the BBFC site, it must be the longest I've read! It's made me realise just how tough a task they had on their hands with this one - these are teens books for a teen audience, but there's no denying the themes and violence are a touch above what you'd normally get at that level. Thin line between being too strong for a 12a yet not really a 15 overall. Raises an interesting point possibly about why such violence is OK for a 12 year old to read, but not view? Is it because the sort of fucktards who'd think it was wise to imitate the violence be less likely to read a 450 page novel?

I know it's a debate for a different thread but it does again make me question the logic of the 15 certificate - is there really that much difference in maturity between a 12 year old and a 15 year old? As a 30 year old now, I can't help noticed just how young even some 21 year olds act, for example - certainly easily influenced. God I feel so fecking old

I hope it's a good film - the fact that they've not had the easiest ride to getting the certificate they needed makes me think that it's been done with some artistic integrity and that it's been faithful to the source.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 41
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 27/5/2012 1:13:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

Looks like we might be getting to see the full version. The BBFC site now has a listing for the DVD release alongside a 15 rated "International cut"

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/?searchwhere=db&q=hunger+games

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 42
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 27/5/2012 6:12:48 PM   
Super Hans

Interesting! I genuinely enjoyed the film enough to buy it, so if this uncut version is available on DVD, I'll be curious to see how different it was.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 43
RE: Hunger Games UK rating - 18/8/2012 1:19:50 AM   
Joe_Deighton

Just pre-ordered my copy now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunger-Games-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B0063FQRTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345249090&sr=8-1

Very interested to see just how much more violent the film is.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Hunger Games UK rating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI