Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 9/3/2012 8:07:10 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I know we should all hate it but gotta say I wtched it on my Unlimited card in a foul mood & you now what! It cheered me up, yes I know it's an absolute nothing of a movie but if want to see some mindless fun that you don't have to use your brain for then this is the one for you.
7/10

I agree. My mates and I went after a tough 5-a-side game and we all had a blast. Was a good film to go and watch to wind down, its very entertaining and I must admit it made me really want to go to a party like that.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 31
Bullsh*t review!! - 9/3/2012 11:44:21 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

I can't even be bothered trying to explain why this review is such a disgrace to an established magazine like Empire. I've always added an extra star to whatever Comedies Empire review anyway because they've been a cantankerous bunch for the last decade now, but 1-star for this pushing it.

Ignore what people are saying about you having to be 'a braindead chav' or whatever cr*p it was, to enjoy this cos the screening I was in had everyone crying with laughter.

I'm not gonna start bleating on about how the reviewer is wrong etc (a complete bellend yes) because he's entitled to his opinion, but he's clearly the kind of person that enjoys a good Woody Allen comedy instead of something like this.

Me......I grew up going to parties full of drugs, getting fcuked right up, taking the pi$$ out of my mates constantly, getting stoned, trying to get laid, pi$$ing off my neighbours, hiding sh*t from my parents, getting into fights, still being awake in my stinking clothes at 6am in the morning............basically everything that these boys get up to and much, much more!

Trust me, if you like The Inbetweeners, you'll love this film. Don't let this review put you of cos this is gonna be a cult film for years!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
Bullsh*t review!! - 9/3/2012 11:44:23 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

I can't even be bothered trying to explain why this review is such a disgrace to an established magazine like Empire. I've always added an extra star to whatever Comedies Empire review anyway because they've been a cantankerous bunch for the last decade now, but 1-star for this pushing it.

Ignore what people are saying about you having to be 'a braindead chav' or whatever cr*p it was, to enjoy this cos the screening I was in had everyone crying with laughter.

I'm not gonna start bleating on about how the reviewer is wrong etc (a complete bellend yes) because he's entitled to his opinion, but he's clearly the kind of person that enjoys a good Woody Allen comedy instead of something like this.

Me......I grew up going to parties full of drugs, getting fcuked right up, taking the pi$$ out of my mates constantly, getting stoned, trying to get laid, pi$$ing off my neighbours, hiding sh*t from my parents, getting into fights, still being awake in my stinking clothes at 6am in the morning............basically everything that these boys get up to and much, much more!

Trust me, if you like The Inbetweeners, you'll love this film. Don't let this review put you of cos this is gonna be a cult film for years!

Post #: 33
Do you normally review for the Daily Mail? - 19/3/2012 3:33:19 PM   
Dans_Vices

This was the best mindless comedy I've seen in ages, I laughed throughout (as did the entire cinema it seemed). There was barely a seconds respite, all killer no fillers. The most accurate portrayal of a drink and drug fueled house party I've ever seen, just wish there'd been more swimming pools in the parties I went too.... I agree with the majority of readers and reckon this review is way off the mark and the reviewer out of touch or the wrong demographic - are you a 60+ conservative in disguise? It's a shame that so many people will be put off and won't go and watch this, also a shame that such a reckless and almost spitefully negative review might damage a young British filmmakers reputation.

< Message edited by Dans_Vices -- 19/3/2012 3:34:51 PM >

Post #: 34
- 27/3/2012 9:34:13 PM   
sirrantalot

This is the worst film I think I have ever seen.. I might on further reflection change my mind in the coming weeks but at the moment it's winning.. It's hard to know where to start.. The plot (plot???) revolves around 3 losers who want to hold an epic party to increase their popularity at school.. And that's about it.. The "lost footage" idea is as stupid and annoying as it is unrealiistic.. The cameraman (there is only supposed to be one) seems to be in multiple places at the same time.. He is on the roof in a closet underwater never missing anything (conveniently) the footage ranges from all sorts of zoom to slow mo shots of women's backsides with and without sound... That is some camera.. The 3 main characters are horrible idiots the king being Costa. He watches as "his" party destroys his friends house and his only response is to smile and nod and say things like "awesome" and "game breaker" I have seen MTV music videos with more depth and most of the time that's what this monstrosity looks like.. The nerdy main character (spoiler alert) gets off with the hot class mate (who previously wouldn't even look at him) for no apparent reason.. But it's when the party is finally over (thank god) that I get really mad.. The Dad (spoiler alert) while watching his car get pulled out of the pool and watching his ruined house smoulder turns to the son and smiles and is impressed when he hears how many people showed for the party.. So is this the message? Destroy your house your neighbourhood and go to jail but it's ok as long as you are popular? The whole thing brings to mind that awful sub culture that exists in some parts of upper class America where rich kids bully a victim via Facebook etc into committing suicide.. These are the types of people the 3 douchebags in the film want at their party.. They deserve each other.. In summary.. If you are 15 years old Male and constantly go around with an erection thus is the film for you..oth

Post #: 35
My slant on project x - 10/4/2012 4:32:51 PM   
hillsy92

Todd Phillips has been royally crucified by a large number of critics (most likely over 30 years of age) for portraying an inadequate and downright disgusting depiction of the current generation of teens. Of course, if you are indeed looking for a film to suite your mature moth-eaten palette then sure, this isn’t the one for you dear. However – if you are a Superbad loving American pie kind of kid then you’re going to find it enjoyable, maybe even amusing.

Project X is in its simplest form a movie about a group of losers on the brink of adulthood in a typical Californian school. The three main characters, Costa, Thomas Mann and JB are on a mission to obtain street-cred and general acceptance from their peers by having a gathering at Thomas’ parents’ suburban white-picket fenced Californian (and conveniently vacant) house. While Thomas is convinced that he is far too unpopular for anyone to turn up anyway, his friend Costa completely over-compensates and invites every person he see’s. As the film continues, the party starts and (enter cliché), escalates into what I can only describe as scenes of a thousand youths squandering, wanton girls discarding their clothes and jumping in the pool. The scenes become a muddle of eclectic teenage carnage as the party continues to spin out of control. After a long mid-section of filming (mainly of sex, vomit and rare comic scenes of outlandish behaviour), the trio stop trying to tame the crowd and gave a great big middle finger to maturity. Let’s just say, things get out of hand.

One could argue that the majority of the film is focused on the simple and recurring idea of teens behaving badly. A nightmare of twisted fantasies and deluded perceptions of females combined with the whole invincible attitude that teenagers seem to convey. Wow, and you wonder why the antique critics spat so much hate at this film? Of course that’s going to happen. Let’s not forget to menti

Post #: 36
Project X - 27/7/2012 7:06:45 AM   
norgizfox

It's hard to get lost in the fun of the party when the "found footage" is poorly excuted, it's hard to like the characters when they are all douches and sluts, and it's impossible to find anything in this film funny when it's devoid of anything remotely humorless. As a party, Project X is a fun and insane ride, but as a movie, it stupid and embarrassing to our culture. And unfortunately, this is a movie.  

Post #: 37
Project X - 31/12/2012 4:37:44 AM   
JJB888

The worst film of 2012; morally bankrupt and highlighting all that is wrong with humanity. This film is a perfect argument for why Jason Vorhees was right!

Post #: 38
Wrong wrong wrong! - 25/7/2013 2:38:27 PM   
Seaan2

I am a massive empire supporter and normally agree with their reviews, but this is wrong. Sure, the movie isn't a comedy, it's not really anything in terms of genres aside from a relatively realistic fictional party caught on tape. Do I care? No. Three hateable characters? Definitely no. Costa, very flawed but the other two are your typical high school outcasts, represented relatively well in their off the hook party experience. This movie was not extremely funny, granted. But there are moments of immense hilarity that make up for it, each a brief respite from the onslaught of rising tension and anxiousness at the developing scene. Personally, I spent most of the film gazing at the screen with amazement to even notice the lack of humor. This works for the film, as I believe it would have taken away impact of the scene unfolding. Think how badly even five minutes of comedy would impact on chronicle, a film with a similar atmosphere, one of increasing dread and curiosity as to where the insanity will take the story next. This is a great film, worthy of anyone's admiration.The director succeeded in pushing the boundaries of the ever growing party further and further to unimaginable heights. This is no easy task, and speaking as a teen here, it's put me off of parties for some time. By the end scenes of the rave I was completely stunned at some of the ideas the team had come up with. PC has been thrown out the window and I would like to applaud the makers for going out on a limb and taking this risk. I encourage potential viewers to do the same.

Post #: 39
feels almost real - 7/8/2013 10:28:06 PM   
josephbjohns

I completely disagree with that review! Being a young lad myself I found that I was in some ways able to relate to this movie. Obviously no party I have attended had a couple thousand people but it reminds me of some that I have been to but on a larger scale. This film kept me gripped the hole time as the thought, I wish somebody would really have one like that, was always in the back of my mind.
All in all not he greatest movie but I doubt it was ever intended to be; it just offers the rare feeling you get from legendary young person films such as American Pie, Superbad & the TV programme Blue Mountain State.

Post #: 40
X-asperating - 16/7/2014 12:04:32 PM   
RJNeb2

The high school party to end all high school parties, captured in documentary style to make you feel like you’re really there. All the mayhem you’d expect, ramped up even more to levels that you probably didn’t expect, makes for a fairly eye-boggling watch. Pity the protagonists are so obnoxious.

Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI