Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Project X

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Project X Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Project X - 29/2/2012 5:52:24 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 29/2/2012 5:52:24 PM   
umer_ejaz

It’s certainly the worst comedy of the last 20 years, and is an utterly horrifying vision of Teen America. If these guys are the future, we’re all fucked - Two of the best sentences I've ever read for a movie review

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Project X - 29/2/2012 6:57:30 PM   
rubadub

Matthew Broderick was a bit bland but the chimps were cool.

She got a..GREAT ASS !! and you got your head..ALL THE WAY UP IT !!
Studio Ghibli.I just don't get it.
Why would anybody care about my DVD collection or the last five films i watched?

Post #: 3
- 29/2/2012 8:33:48 PM   
Ethanial

I figured, given that Phillips pushed the film into fruition, that like The Hangover films and Due Date, this would be utter dreck, the trailer certainly showed this, and yes the 'characters' are c*nts, but even so, I laughed a lot more than I anticipated in the film, I expected a second star just for security guards.
Oh Chris. Oh Chrissy Chris Chris.

Post #: 4
RE: - 29/2/2012 10:14:09 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Wow.a.fighting.midget.

Well the trailer was shit and the movie is shit,who'd have guessed.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 5
lol - 29/2/2012 10:48:18 PM   
Giles83

Best review of the year so far bar none! However, Chris's shear anger has enticed me to want to watch this, and as far as I can see I think I'm going to agree with him.

Post #: 6
Poor, angry review - 1/3/2012 2:11:50 PM   
tomcat

Chris, you're wrong. All this tells me - and should tell anyone out there reading it - is that you've got so old that you can't remember how it feels to be young. I've seen plenty of you on TV to know this isn't the case. You've attacked this film unfairly, like a maniac parent peeved that the kids are having a good time. Personally I found the film to be great fun, nothing more nothing less, and I'd guess that we're a similar age. And the comment about it being the worst comedy of the last 20 years just goes to substantiate how clouded and unreliable your judgement about the other details of the film are. I mean, have you seen Big Momma's house??? I'd suggest people go and see this and make their own mind up as it's clearly a polarizer. Chris, I'd suggest you take a break.

Post #: 7
- 1/3/2012 6:33:22 PM   
darthmax1

This seems a little too damning for an Empire review. As a criticism body they always try to represent the general consensus rather than give one strong viewpoint. Therefore I'm expecting a three star DVD review for this one. This movie was not 1 star bad. 2 stars at a push. See Taken for an example of this. 1 star on cinema release. Then after becoming a minor cult and modern action classic, 3 stars on DVD.

Post #: 8
- 1/3/2012 6:33:49 PM   
darthmax1

This seems a little too damning for an Empire review. As a criticism body they always try to represent the general consensus rather than give one strong viewpoint. Therefore I'm expecting a three star DVD review for this one. This movie was not 1 star bad. 2 stars at a push. See Taken for an example of this. 1 star on cinema release. Then after becoming a minor cult and modern action classic, 3 stars on DVD.

Post #: 9
I enjoyed the film - 1/3/2012 8:36:47 PM   
dvdaficionado26

[removed]

< Message edited by dvdaficionado26 -- 1/3/2012 8:45:56 PM >

Post #: 10
Empire got it wrong....this film is insane! - 2/3/2012 11:54:06 PM   
Kenny007

Wrong wrong wrong empire on many levels! Saw this film with one of my best mates over a week ago and we both agreed that this film was what Hangover 2 should have been! The film is insane, unreal and extremely funny (taken in context of its intended audience and subject matter)! It is a proper lads flick (the exact opposite of a chick flick:)) and should definitely not be analysed the way the reviewer has ripped into it!

This is not a "piece of art" film-making nor is it clambering for any oscars! Some empire reviewers seriously need to lighten up when reviewing films of this nature...please please listen to me, go see this film if you just want 90 or so minutes of just pure fun! And I'm saying this a movie-goer who watches 2 or more films a week at the cinema!

Sorry for going on a bit, but I'm sick of reviewers reviewing eeeevery single film with the
same measuring stick! I strongly feel that we should just group films in to new categories such as Oscar worthy, classic romance, chick flick, lads flick, action etc....then review films according to how that film performs according ONLY to other films in its class! This was 10x better than Hangover 2 and 5x better than bridesmaids and is right up there behind Hangover part 1 for me! But it's is not Lord of the rings, Scarface, godfather, Forrest gump, titanic, Ben hur, etc... It's just simply fun!

Post #: 11
EMPIRE REALLY GETS IT WRONG - 3/3/2012 12:31:33 AM   
andyb157

I'm not writing a review, just had to comment letting empire know they are wrong for once! Its not trying to be ferris bueller or any of those heartfelt teen classics. Its about the best, most lucrative, over the top house party conceivable. And it succeeded spectacularly. Clearly if youre over 25 you're more likely to hate it. Its over the top, mental, and make you want to go out and get f*cked

Post #: 12
Ha! - 3/3/2012 6:24:07 PM   
joe_cool2702

Why dont you tell us what you really think??

Post #: 13
RE: Project X - 3/3/2012 7:56:19 PM   
lukemurray

I would agree with the conceit that this is not a great comedy (although the cameraman Dax gave me a chuckle or two). However, there is something utterly fascinating in watching this party escalate from a broken window to where it ends up. The sheer destruction that occurs in the last 20 minutes is worth ticket price alone! I can identify with the fact that this has a fairly niche target-audience, but I think as an ode to bad behaviour, the debauchery and mayhem on display transcends the inconsistent humour and cliched narrative. Essentially, I loved it.

Post #: 14
Chris Hewitt - old curmudgeon - 3/3/2012 10:36:05 PM   
JoKeRJaMeZ

This review is contrived and overly-negative. His criticism of the three central characters as "unlikeable." I couldn't disagree more - Hewitt's inconsistency is notable in the way he compares this film to the Inbetweeners. Costa is exactly the same character as Jay, yet nowhere near as objectionable. The film was incredibly funny, with a great premise and idea. I, for one, hope to see more of Oliver Cooper's Costa.

Post #: 15
RE: Chris Hewitt - old curmudgeon - 4/3/2012 1:55:25 PM   
Whistler

Stop saying he's wrong for God's sake! It's a review; it's HIS opinion, not yours.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to JoKeRJaMeZ)
Post #: 16
RE: Empire got it wrong....this film is insane! - 4/3/2012 3:07:49 PM   
Spaldron

Funniest review I've read in a long time, it was almost Kermodian in its vitriol, boy this film sounds like a pile of shite, the type of crap that thick 12 year old chavs would enjoy. Now I'm just waiting for someone to say "but...but...its not supposed to be Citizen Kane!!" or something to that effect.

Oh wait.....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kenny007
This is not a "piece of art" film-making nor is it clambering for any oscars......But it's not Lord of the rings, Scarface, godfather, Forrest gump, titanic, Ben hur, etc...

Happens every time.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Kenny007)
Post #: 17
RE: Empire got it wrong....this film is insane! - 4/3/2012 4:34:49 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

it's is not Lord of the rings, Scarface, godfather, Forrest gump,

Thank god for that...

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Kenny007)
Post #: 18
RE: Empire got it wrong....this film is insane! - 4/3/2012 5:02:51 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

it's is not Lord of the rings, Scarface, godfather, Forrest gump,titanic

Thank god for that...

quote:

But it's is not Lord of the rings, Scarface, godfather, Forrest gump, titanic,

titanic?

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 19
Serves you right for rating The Hangover at all - 4/3/2012 8:45:24 PM   
BatSpider

Dogshit. Not that I've seen it, or gonna see it. The worst thing about these movies is that they are NOT edgy or subversive, I agree with Chris. The lameness is the most offensive thing about it. Middle aged suck-cocker Todd Phillips is the Michael Bay of comedy, and worse, as Bay actually used to make good movies.

Post #: 20
RE: Serves you right for rating The Hangover at all - 6/3/2012 11:36:30 PM   
Cheeze

You can't call a film dogshit if you haven't seen it.

I got dragged to this tonight and was dreading it following this review, and I agree with above, Empire got this completely wrong.

Yes it's silly but it's entertaining, and no I'm not a kid, I'm 36 and married with kids. It's nothing particularly new or edgy but it's entertaining... isn't that what films are supposed to be? This made me want to recapture my youth and although I never got up to anything this extreme it still revived some old memories. The cinema was only about half full but everyone seemed to be enjoying it.

Each to their own of course but people commenting without having actually seen it are just the curse of sites like this.

Worst comedy of the last 20 years??? Really? White Girls, Big Momma's House, virtually all of Adam Sandlers crap, The Pink Panther remakes... need I go on? The reviewer seriously needs to take the stick out of his arse on this one.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 21
RE: Chris Hewitt - old curmudgeon - 6/3/2012 11:42:25 PM   
Cheeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Stop saying he's wrong for God's sake! It's a review; it's HIS opinion, not yours.

But his opinion is in a national magazine and on well respected website, his opinion is potentially damaging to a film that in many people's opinion is nowhere near as appalling as he makes out. He clearly seems to have it in for this film and it's a decent movie. I'm not claiming it to be brilliant, it's just entertaining and funny. 1 Star??? I bet he's the life and soul of any party.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 22
RE: Chris Hewitt - old curmudgeon - 7/3/2012 1:45:29 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

But his opinion is in a national magazine and on well respected website, his opinion is potentially damaging to a film that in many people's opinion is nowhere near as appalling as he makes out. He clearly seems to have it in for this film and it's a decent movie. I'm not claiming it to be brilliant, it's just entertaining and funny. 1 Star??? I bet he's the life and soul of any party.

So you're saying that the magazine should conform to your opinion and other peoples' opinions? Really, it's been heavily panned in other reviews (RT has that only 29% of the reviews have been positive and metacritic shows them as mixed veering on negative) other than this site and it didn't really matter as the movie was a hit. Did you see people stopping to watch the spoof Movies series just because of bad reviews?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 7/3/2012 1:46:59 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Cheeze)
Post #: 23
RE: Chris Hewitt - old curmudgeon - 7/3/2012 9:31:33 AM   
Cheeze

If we are talking RT then 73% of users liked it compared to 28% of so called critics. I'm not saying everyone should agree with my opinion but this isn't just a poor review it's a scathing attack on the film. If we take the RT critic score as a good spread of journalists then surely by empires standards you'd expect this film to score 2-3 stars at least but 1 star? It's as ridiculous as the 5 star Attack of the Clones review.

Of course he's entitled to an opinion but from reading his review he was clearly the wrong person to send to see this movie. You wouldn't send some Emo Goth type to review Citizen Kane, he'd likely score it 1 out of 5 too.

All I am saying is that this move does not deserve the level of hatred imposed by this reviewer and for me this is or poorly constructed review too many for Empire now. Virtually all the other negative comments on here are from people who haven't seen it. From those that have it's getting mainly favourable reviews.

< Message edited by Cheeze -- 7/3/2012 9:33:13 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 24
RE: Project X - 7/3/2012 10:12:31 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: rubadub

Damn.  Beaten to it.

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 25
- 7/3/2012 11:38:06 AM   
artilleryman

this review is dead right. I'd happily kill everyone involved in this alleged film

Post #: 26
RE: - 7/3/2012 1:12:10 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I know we should all hate it but gotta say I wtched it on my Unlimited card in a foul mood & you now what! It cheered me up, yes I know it's an absolute nothing of a movie but if want to see some mindless fun that you don't have to use your brain for then this is the one for you.
7/10

(in reply to artilleryman)
Post #: 27
RE: Chris Hewitt - old curmudgeon - 7/3/2012 3:29:59 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheeze

If we are talking RT then 73% of users liked it compared to 28% of so called critics.

You know what has 73% of users liking a film on Rotten Tomatoes? Revenge of the Fallen.

EDIT: Oh no wait, IT'S 76%.

quote:

I'm not saying everyone should agree with my opinion but this isn't just a poor review it's a scathing attack on the film.

Why, because you liked it (I'm going to take the guy who gave Attack of the Clones 5 stars over you simply claiming a film is "entertaining and funny", he explains his hatred) and think that Hewitt is a bore for not doing so? That's not a good reason.

quote:

If we take the RT critic score as a good spread of journalists then surely by empires standards you'd expect this film to score 2-3 stars at least but 1 star? It's as ridiculous as the 5 star Attack of the Clones review.

That wasn't the point, it was that it was scathed in other quarters other than Empire. Jesus.

quote:

Of course he's entitled to an opinion but from reading his review he was clearly the wrong person to send to see this movie. You wouldn't send some Emo Goth type to review Citizen Kane, he'd likely score it 1 out of 5 too.

OH GOD YOU

You do realize that he claimed to like The Inbetweeners Movie right, a film which is similar to this in content. Should I quote it to you or did you miss that?

Also, there is no such thing as a wrong person to review a movie, I hate most 80's USA action films (find them really boring as "being made just to be fun" is no excuse for a film to be shit) but damn me if Die Hard isn't the greatest way to celebrate a Christmas.

quote:

All I am saying is that this move does not deserve the level of hatred imposed by this reviewer and for me this is or poorly constructed review too many for Empire now. Virtually all the other negative comments on here are from people who haven't seen it. From those that have it's getting mainly favourable reviews.

So, to sum it up "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAW Empire gave a scathing review to a film I like". Also, you're getting at something here, how is it poorly constructed?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 7/3/2012 3:37:21 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Cheeze)
Post #: 28
RE: Project X - 7/3/2012 3:36:00 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: rubadub

I cant think of anything else either when I hear the film title.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 29
The geek will continue to inherit the earth, one party ... - 9/3/2012 12:58:55 AM   
thebackseatdirector

Some films take their time to get there and some films never even make it, but Project X hits you right in the likeability testicles from the word go. And so I was won. I bought in, I paid up and I went along for the ride.

I wonder if everyone else in the audience were thinking “yeah, yeah, I’ve been to some parties in my time”, as the film began. Indeed up until a certain point, I was still thinking “these boys are just partying like it’s 1999”. And then there was the midget in the oven. And at that point, I took my hat off and allowed them to boast of the “most epic party”.

Thomas, the nerdy birthday boy, who’s constantly on edge, understandably, as his parents’ house gets wrecked, still manages to dip in and out of pride and awe. Which feels quite genuine, because is there really a former 17 year old nerd amongst us who wouldn’t have loved the whole school chanting our name; whilst at the same time having half of the girls topless in our pool just waiting for us to come over with a bottle of tequila and do body shots. That didn’t happen in Milton Keynes, for sure.

And as all good coming-of-age stories do, Project X makes you really will for them all to get, well, laid. Lots.

Ultimately it doesn’t do much more than Ferris Bueller did, back when I was small and in denim school sport shorts. And as Ferris did all those years ago, the set up of the Dad’s car getting trashed is so obvious that for it to be held back until almost the very end, feels a little lazy on the writing side.

Regardless, it’s hilarious, and made me want to go out and party all night. I didn’t, however. Instead I came home for a lemon and ginger tea and played on the Xbox. Partying like it’s actually 2012.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Project X Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI