Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Films That Completely Baffle You

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films That Completely Baffle You Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 1/3/2012 11:52:03 AM   
chewbacasnapsak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

Dirty Dancing, What the absolute fuck.

Girl meets boy. Girl loses boy. Girl gets boy back in time for all dancing finale.

How is that hard to follow?

I was baffled into why its entertaining, I was trying to get my end away at the time so I let her choose the film. Maybe it was a case of blue balls.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 61
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 2:09:03 AM   
scary_ice

When I saw the title of the thread I thought "I bet this is a David Lynch inspired topic"

I just recently watched Lost Highway for the first time and found it pretty damn strange but (as usual) hypnotically beautiful and hauntingly creepy. I had to watch it again and then go check out all the varying interpretations on IMDB!

I do love Lynch but I think the thing about his films for me is the sheer atmosphere of them is what you watch them for. Like someone said earlier in the thread they are an immersive experience and I can understand how they are not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I find their complete uniqueness so startling and unapolagetic it's impossible for me not to be impressed.

I have yet to see Inland Empire and it is a little intimidating sounding but I will get to it someday and I have only watched the first series of Twin Peaks so I wont be watching Fire Walk With Me til after that either.

Twin Peaks is probably a good way to sample Lynch though as it isn't as full-on as his movies as it's a TV series and was hugely popular at the time and I loved the first series although I believe it gets darker and weirder in series 2. Blue Velvet might be a good starting place or if you want violent road-movie lovers-on-the-run done Lynch style then Wild at Heart is relatively straightforward too.

< Message edited by scary_ice -- 2/3/2012 1:53:06 PM >

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 62
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 2:34:45 AM   
King of Kafiristan

ONG BAK 2.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 63
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 9:13:29 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness. Just. Mental.

But both are great films.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 64
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 11:04:36 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

I wouldn't personally call them great, but they sure are entertaining as hell. I think I'm still surprised as to how completely different they are from the first one.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 65
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 12:49:38 PM   
MattTheBadger

For all the supposedly 'difficult to follow' examples quoted here (Inception, Memento, The Usual Suspects) I found Quantum of Solace & POTC3 far more baffling in that I totally lost track of what the f*** was going on. Possibly because those 'difficult' examples are superbly crafted and structured so that they remain accessible, whereas those two films just seemed to make it up as they went along.

Oh and the last two Matrix films as well. Bloody ridiculous, innit?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 66
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 1:56:52 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: MattTheBadger

For all the supposedly 'difficult to follow' examples quoted here (Inception, Memento, The Usual Suspects) I found Quantum of Solace & POTC3 far more baffling in that I totally lost track of what the f*** was going on. Possibly because those 'difficult' examples are superbly crafted and structured so that they remain accessible, whereas those two films just seemed to make it up as they went along.

Absoulutely. Movies like Memento and The Usual Suspects may have complex narratives but they are skilfully crafted like you say ensuring that if you pay attention it will make sense. Sadly a lot of big-budget blockbusters these days just seem to randomly throw stuff together with little regard for narrative or pacing and come across as a horrible mess.

(in reply to MattTheBadger)
Post #: 67
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 5:04:11 PM   
yourecast

Memento anyone? had to see it several times to fully appreciate it's brilliance.

yourecast.com - Be a movie casting hero, recast your favorite movies.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 68
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 7:28:10 PM   
Hungrymark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Found Inception easy to follow to be honest.

I don't think it was ever supposed to be hard to follow. Nolan basically went out of his way to make it as accessible as he could.

That was what made me not like it as much as I could have done. Exposition after exposition after exposition. The architect seemed to be written into the film purely as an audience substitute to whom DiCaprio has an excuse to explain everything.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 69
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 7:35:37 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hungrymark

quote:

quote:

I don't think it was ever supposed to be hard to follow. Nolan basically went out of his way to make it as accessible as he could.

That was what made me not like it as much as I could have done. Exposition after exposition after exposition. The architect seemed to be written into the film purely as an audience substitute to whom DiCaprio has an excuse to explain everything.

Well yeah, that's exactly what she was there for, but that was a good thing; if Cobb hadn't been able to explain anything we would've had absolutely no idea what was going on.

(in reply to Hungrymark)
Post #: 70
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 7:42:51 PM   
Hungrymark

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hungrymark

quote:

quote:

Well yeah, that's exactly what she was there for, but that was a good thing; if Cobb hadn't been able to explain anything we would've had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Aye, but a film based on a concept that takes nigh-on a quarter of the film to explain isn't as successful as I would like it to be. It was entertaining enough but not a film that I'd be bothered about watching over and over again.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 71
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 8:11:59 PM   
garvielloken

The Holy Mountain always baffles me. But in a good way.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Hungrymark)
Post #: 72
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 8:57:04 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Mulholland DriveThe Fountain

Me too.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 73
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 9:01:50 PM   
Snake-Eyes

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 74
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 9:35:54 PM   
mattjtemp

Though I think Nicholas Roeg is one of the greatest directors, I remember feeling a bit lost by parts of The Man Who Fell to Earth, but this was a few years back late one night on the tv.

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 75
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 2/3/2012 10:56:35 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattjtemp

Though I think Nicholas Roeg is one of the greatest directors, I remember feeling a bit lost by parts of The Man Who Fell to Earth, but this was a few years back late one night on the tv.

I knew there was one film that completely baffled me.
Reminds me to sit and watch it again after 5 years of none viewing,not on purpose though.

(in reply to mattjtemp)
Post #: 76
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 3/3/2012 2:06:52 AM   
Coyleone

Ah, I frgot to mention The Fountain. I thought I was following it alright, but by the end I had no idea what happened.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 77
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 3/3/2012 9:01:33 AM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Dirty Dancing, What the absolute fuck.

Girl meets boy. Girl loses boy. Girl gets boy back in time for all dancing finale.

How is that hard to follow?

I was baffled into why its entertaining, I was trying to get my end away at the time so I let her choose the film. Maybe it was a case of blue balls.

LOL
Im with yo on Dirty Dancing, its not hard to follow, just bafflingly as to why it is so ridiculously popular when its so shit!

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 78
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 3/3/2012 10:44:44 AM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: scary_ice

quote:

Absoulutely. Movies like Memento and The Usual Suspects may have complex narratives but they are skilfully crafted like you say ensuring that if you pay attention it will make sense. Sadly a lot of big-budget blockbusters these days just seem to randomly throw stuff together with little regard for narrative or pacing and come across as a horrible mess.

Very good point. I sidestepped all but the first POTC films and Quantum of Solace, but without wanting to sound seriously stupid, I gave up on The A-Team - that was as incoherent and messy a film as any I've ever tried to watch. The amount of wine I'd drank probably didn't help, but it just seemed like that substituted a decent plot and structure for ADHD editing, silly action and plot exposition that was essentially just shoving random people's faces in your face and telling you that they were now the baddie. Shite! It's not that often that I'll switch a film off and not even bother attempting to watch again.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 79
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 3/3/2012 11:33:07 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: scary_ice

quote:

Transformers 2 and 3 being prime examples. They just have no regard for coherent plotting whatsoever.

Ju-On confused the hell out of me (as well as gave me the willies) and so did Casshern.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 80
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 4/3/2012 4:18:24 PM   
Zaphod121

Most Lynch films to be honest but that's what I love about them, there bananas dream like quality, Mulholland Drive being my favourite. Also Ong Bak 2, was completely lost by the end, but I guess that's what happens when the director/star has a mental breakdown during the shoot.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 81
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 4/3/2012 8:02:55 PM   
will1000

Inland Empire...what the hell went on there?! I managed to follow it up to a certain point but after that I have no idea what was happening or what it all meant...and not in a good way.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 82
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 4/3/2012 8:13:23 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't personally call them great, but they sure are entertaining as hell. I think I'm still surprised as to how completely different they are from the first one.

Great = entertaining as hell. But of course I would say that where Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are concerned. The former is a masterpiece after all.

Lost Highway. What the fuck? but a beautiful, glorious what the fuck.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 83
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 4/3/2012 10:24:12 PM   
jcthefirst

The Fountain's not that confusing, surely?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 84
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 5/3/2012 10:29:15 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great = entertaining as hell. But of course I would say that where Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are concerned. The former is a masterpiece after all.

Lost Highway. What the fuck? but a beautiful, glorious what the fuck.

Nah, Lost Highway, piece of piss

Very beginning of the film, Fred is awaiting execution for murdering his wife. The only time you ever see Fred from outside his own head.

Very end of the film: Fred, in his head, is attempting to flee from justice, but outside his delusion he is in the electric chair, he looks around in panic, the electric current is switched on, Fred screams, and yells, and his face becomes distorted and burns a bit, as his death sentence is carried out.

Because Fred has retreated inside his head, we see the execution as it appears to him, him driving the car, chased by police.

Between the opening and closing moments, various aspects of the truth of what is happening are hidden in plain sight, here there and everywhere, mixed among Fred's attempts, in his own head, to remember things his own way, not necessarily how they happened. And when attempts to rewrite history in his head/invent things/invent someone to blame so he can escape his guilt of murder don't work, he imagines himself becoming someone else (Pete) so he can escape from himself. He can't. The whole Pete thing is delusion, and wish fulfillment (Pete is younger, not impotent, in prison due to some kind of mistake and set free).

Fred tries to live in his head, as Pete, but delusions/psychotic breaks inevitably get impinged upon by reality, and therefore, this innocent, blank altar ego Pete is frightened and confused by strange things that start to happen, and his attempt to run with 'Alice' from the strangeness (Fred wanting to be Pete and for his wife to still be with him) is an attempt to flee from the breaking down of his fantasy alternative life. But reality pursues him. He killed his wife, and he has to pay the price. Pete turns back into Fred, who knows he is going to be executed. But he never completely comes back to reality, and his fear/desire to escape from his death by electric chair is depicted by the police chase at the end (which is probably a depiction of sorts of how he tried to run from the police in the first place, so his last thoughts in this life, as he is being executed, are of the last moments in his life that he was still a free man, the moment he became totally deranged and the moments of his execution both depicted in the same imagery.

The mystery man is his conscience, that wont allow him to get away with any kind of self delusion for too long, because even he knows, deep down, he doesn't deserve to.

Or sum shit like dat

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 5/3/2012 12:18:45 PM >

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 85
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 5/3/2012 11:58:23 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

I get the present day timeline and the whole thought of when you die you change into something else and become part of it.

No idea what was happening in the future bubble or to the conquistador (spelling)

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 86
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 5/3/2012 12:13:04 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

I get the present day timeline and the whole thought of when you die you change into something else and become part of it.

No idea what was happening in the future bubble or to the conquistador (spelling)

My take is:

His wife knows that he will obsess forever about ways he could have helped her, but she has accepted that there in no more that can be done, so she writes the story of the conquistador, imagining him as that character to 'send the message' that seeking to prevent life ending is not possible in the terms someone who wants eternal life wants. Your life/essence becomes part of the fabric of nature, and goes on in that way or something, but the obsession with the fountain of youth leads to life passing someone by.

We all die, we all become part of the 'cosmos' or whatever.

Re the bubble, I read that as symbolising him, isolated from life by the grief pre and post losing his wife, in retreat from the rest of life, hence the monk like appearance/rituals. But via this contemplation, and once he has understood that his wife accepted her passing and, and wrote the story of the conquistador because he must accept the natural processes of life and death too, and just saying this literally would have less effect, he symbolically becomes 'enlightened' and 'ascends' out of his state of isolation/contemplation/grief to accept her passing and be able to go on with life, and not let life pass him by in grief or wishing he could have done more to, help, just as his wife wanted.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 5/3/2012 12:20:52 PM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 87
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 6/3/2012 1:12:05 AM   
Spaldron

MirrorMask

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 88
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 6/3/2012 5:26:54 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

MirrorMask

oh man! I remember that film - I had to buy the dvd for a friend who is a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan. I tried to watch it with her but fell asleep.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 89
RE: Films That Completely Baffle You - 6/3/2012 7:51:40 AM   
jonson

Versus.
I think I started to lose the plot after about 5 minutes, then just thought "what the fuck" and watched it for pure entertainment purposes. I have no idea what happened, or why, or to whom.
I just recall lots of great zombie deaths and amusing choreography. I enjoyed it without understanding any of it.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films That Completely Baffle You Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI