Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Prometheus Promo Arrives

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Prometheus Promo Arrives Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Prometheus Promo Arrives - 28/2/2012 9:18:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Pearce... - 28/2/2012 9:51:58 PM   
JIm R

That is brilliant in setting up all that will come. Ridley appears to have taken great care and effort on this one. Looks stunning. Cannot wait.
Post #: 2
RE: Meh - 29/2/2012 12:59:05 PM   
shool

I want to see this movie Now!

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"
Post #: 3
RE: Meh - 29/2/2012 1:07:57 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobthegrinch

I like Guy Pearce, but I kind of think this is awful. It's really heavy handed and I've never seen a TED presentation delivered so aggressively.

I'm not trying to be contrary, I just don't think this is a good performance. It's a bit OTT and it's like he's channelling Michael Wincott in The Crow. I'm officially a bit less excited for this film now.

lol,took the words right out of my mouth.
Though I'm still hoping its a cracker of a film.
Post #: 4
RE: Meh - 29/2/2012 1:54:49 PM   
keaneye

Awful is a bit of a strong statement when you can't really explain why it's that bad. You must see a lot of uncompromising, slightly evil entrepreneurs on TED doing very boring uninspired presentations, but this performance looks like it's been played to character. A bit of artistic license can be allowed when it comes to making these movies. I mean it's not like they're making a true to life political drama here. Your reaction seems so extreme, it's like you marked a correct answer completely wrong over a tiny spelling mistake. I don't think this performance is anything to throw your toys out of the pram about.
quote:

ORIGINAL: bobthegrinch

I like Guy Pearce, but I kind of think this is awful. It's really heavy handed and I've never seen a TED presentation delivered so aggressively.

I'm not trying to be contrary, I just don't think this is a good performance. It's a bit OTT and it's like he's channelling Michael Wincott in The Crow. I'm officially a bit less excited for this film now.

Post #: 5
RE: He sounded a little like... - 29/2/2012 5:08:27 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

@BenTramer
Agree
And I've Just rewatched it again,still not convinced.
Now dont get me wrong the speech is not bad,actaully its very good its just the manner in which it is executed by Guy Pearce,who makes his character come across far to broadly arrogant and egostitical,there is no sublety in his act.
His performance is like a cross between classic shakesperian theatre and pantomine,he acts the scene rather than being in the scene.
Post #: 6
RE: Weyland Waylaid - 29/2/2012 5:26:08 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

Guy Pearce is usually a good actor, but he looks uncomfortable and miscast in this. His English accent isn't great (odd that as an Australian, he's better at doing American accents). He's also a movie actor and doesn't really project or pace himself as you'd need to doing this kind of solo oration that a stage actor would eat up. If Peter Weyland really is the scumbag behind Weyland-Yutani then it should be done with more subtlety. He's like a panto villain.

Well perhaps the accent has to do with his character having been born and raised in India, but I would sort of agree that the clip wasn't exactly everything it could have been, however, the effort and creativity on display I find genuinely exciting, and this is the first bit of marketing for the film that actually gets me hyped. Until now I'd kind of been hedging my bets, fearing that this was a cheap ALIENS cash in on Fox's part that they were trying to pass off as something unique and special.
Post #: 7
RE: - 29/2/2012 11:48:34 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Didn't like it. Not what I was expecting the Earth of the 'Alien' uni to be like. I always thought it wasn't too far removed from our own. That was like a galactic senate meeting right out of Episode 3.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***
Post #: 8
RE: Mwah-ha-ha-ha! - 1/3/2012 5:10:20 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

The only thing Guy Pearce was short of in that clip was a top hat and a black moustache to twirl as he's such an obvious villain.

I didn't really see villainy, just a transparent, naked ambition on a grand scale. I am sure his hubris will lead to bad things, but it seems to be setting him up as someone driven, rather than someone overtly nefarious (IMHO)
Post #: 9
RE: He sounded a little like... - 2/3/2012 10:48:54 AM   
Mort Grimm

But he is a acting the scene- that is to say his character is. He's performing as a character who is himself carrying out a performance, and that seems to have come across well!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 2/3/2012 10:52:25 AM   
Mort Grimm

So it was a big conference hall. Hardly a stretch. Some flying cameras, interesting stuff going on in the background (viewer tweets perhaps, news feeds etc...) I thought it was realistic.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 11
RE: Weyland Waylaid - 2/3/2012 11:03:56 AM   
Mort Grimm

I don't think with Ridley involved it would ever be a cheap cash in. He has always expressed strong dislike for the true cash in of the AVP series and seems to be passionate about his concept for this movie. Frankly I'm glad it's not a straight up prequel. As good as Alien and Aliens was there are only so many ways to get chased by a zenomorph.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 12
RE: Would you please stop your incessant whining! - 2/3/2012 2:40:50 PM   
paulmag

yeah i'd agree with all of that
Post #: 13
RE: Meh - 8/3/2012 7:48:35 PM   
bobthegrinch

Sorry keaneye, but I don't think I have thrown my toys out of the pram. I haven't said 'this film will suck' or 'this is total shit'. I'm still looking forward to this film but I don't like this promo and I don't like Guy Pearce in it. As I said, I think it's over the top. It's cardboard cut out corporate villain. Saying something is 'kinda awful' is hardly an extreme reaction. If you haven't seen the previous Alien films, you'll already know from this that Weyland Yutani is a questionable company from the complete lack of subtlety in that scene. Previous Weyland Yutani corporate dicks weren't so obviously twatty. I'm still looking forward to this film, and everything else I've seen looks great, I just didn't like this. Of course this isn't a true life drama, that doesn't mean I happily accept sub par acting. I'm not flaming, trolling or going over the top, just expressing my opinion on that clip, which I didn't like. Sorry it's a different opinion from yours.

(in reply to keaneye)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Prometheus Promo Arrives Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI