Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 12:12:05 AM   
OldGrey

Because it makes not a jot of sense

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 181
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 12:17:49 AM   
rawlinson

Do you accept the appearance of aliens in sci-fi films? Or that Superman can fly? Or the way one man can take down an army in action films? Because it's the same principle, you're being asked to suspend your disbelief and simply accept the oddities as part of the world the film is presenting. It's no different with musicals.

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 182
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 12:23:00 AM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Do you accept the appearance of aliens in sci-fi films? Or that Superman can fly? Or the way one man can take down an army in action films? Because it's the same principle, you're being asked to suspend your disbelief and simply accept the oddities as part of the world the film is presenting. It's no different with musicals.

I certainly do and it is not the same principle at all - as in every sci fi/horror/fiction case, these are suitably explained and I can therefore suspend belief due to narrative, back story etc. I have never seen a musical where at some point it is explained why everyone needs to sing instead of talking - in many ways aliens are more believable than people running about singing at everyone !

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 183
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 12:40:10 AM   
OldGrey

Actually I can think of one exception, that episode of Buffy where they all sang, now I liked that !

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 184
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 1:12:07 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGrey

Actually I can think of one exception, that episode of Buffy where they all sang, now I liked that !

Yeah that is cracking, but the the convention of the musical means that it doesn't matter why they are singing just that that is the way the story is told, you either except it or not.

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 185
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 1:18:38 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd rather watch The Notebook tbh. It doesn't go all annoying French film in that way annoying French films do - there's an initial discussion between Trintignant and Huppert that just made me go 'FFS' and switch off. 

This always amazes me about you guys, you wax lyical about arthouse cinema when it is getting overlooked by the oscars but as soon as they reconise the talent of someone like Heneke you suddenly turn your back on them. Why can't you except that it is a good thing for cinema that such a film has been nominated?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 186
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 1:20:50 AM   
elab49

quote:

Personally, I just cannot balance story telling with the sudden desire for characters to break into song for no apparrent reason, no matter how good the stars or direcors may be. I am a pretty open minded chap and will go with most plot ideas if properly introduced, but singing a story along ? Why ?
I am also confused as to why perfectly good actors suddenly feel they have voices worthy of song just because they are in a musical, some actors can sing and 'tother way around but that is the exception, not the rule !

But isn't there a difference between your personal opinion that you don't like musicals - fair enough - and the idea they aren't suitable for films? Given they don't explain the singing on stage either, the medium isn't really relevant, I don't think, to your problem with them.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 187
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 1:24:45 AM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Yeah that is cracking, but the the convention of the musical means that it doesn't matter why they are singing just that that is the way the story is told, you either except it or not.

Which is kind of my point really, I just can't accept it - hats off to those of you who can, but I'm gonna stick to the old tradition of speech thanks !

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 188
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 10:53:44 AM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Personally, I just cannot balance story telling with the sudden desire for characters to break into song for no apparrent reason, no matter how good the stars or direcors may be. I am a pretty open minded chap and will go with most plot ideas if properly introduced, but singing a story along ? Why ?
I am also confused as to why perfectly good actors suddenly feel they have voices worthy of song just because they are in a musical, some actors can sing and 'tother way around but that is the exception, not the rule !

But isn't there a difference between your personal opinion that you don't like musicals - fair enough - and the idea they aren't suitable for films? Given they don't explain the singing on stage either, the medium isn't really relevant, I don't think, to your problem with them.

But both lines of thought are my personal opinion , others may think differently but I don't really see a diffference, in my eyes it doesn't work. When recruiting for the stage on a musical, if you can't sing, you rarely apply and would hardly ever be considered. In a film, it really doesn't seem to matter if you sing like my drunken tone deaf Auntie, which, I think, goes some way to tell you how important the musical aspect really is. The stage is limited by it's physical size and the medium of song is often used to expand the audiences perception of time or location, memory etc. The medium of film suffers no such problems because it has no limit on scope and therefore has no real reason for abusing song at all . . . . . in my opinion

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 189
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 10:59:14 AM   
elab49

Obviously it's your opinion - isn't this just a discussion of it?

And again - your comments on stage vs screen apply to more than just musicals. Some directors successfully transfer a stage play to screen by reconsidering the way the story is told, others plonk down the camera and do barely anything different (helloooooo Ron Howard) and you might as well have been watching the play. Opinions on voices are just voices - some apparently great voices can feel like nails down a blackboard too

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 190
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 12/1/2013 11:53:39 PM   
SadFace

If anything, you could say humans have an innate emotional connection with music and rhythm - musicals are therefore another medium to express that emotion within the story.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 191
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 13/1/2013 9:40:20 PM   
elab49

Interesting to see the Observer critics today all saw the Foreign Film category as a pretty straight fight between Amour and A Royal Affair. No mention of War Witch but I remember it being the same with The Secret In Their Eyes, the post Oscar reason being given as none of them had actually seen it (and, shamefully, I think it was Bradshaw that dismissed it out of hand NOT having seen it just because films he had seen and liked didn't win).

quote:

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 192
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 13/1/2013 10:31:25 PM   
rawlinson

They say the rules that all foreign nominees have to be watched in Academy screenings means that it's a lot of the older, less active, voters who dominate the voting. Amour might absolutely terrify them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 193
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 13/1/2013 10:42:32 PM   
elab49

Using older actors is certainly the way to play to the voters though. But I wondered if they might, then, be more likely to go Best Picture than Best Foreign. I kind of think it might have a better chance of that. Like Les Mis not having a hope of hell in winning the Best British Film category at Bafta which just looks silly this year. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 194
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 13/1/2013 10:44:53 PM   
rawlinson

If Amour's going to win anything major I think it'll either be actress or screenplay.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 195
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 13/1/2013 11:04:45 PM   
elab49

Well, you are the better guesser with these things. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 196
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 14/1/2013 12:35:55 AM   
MonsterCat

Just finished listening to Kermode & Mayo's nominations podcast.

Emma Stone and Seth MacFarlane were great, and the Harvey Weinstein gag made me lol.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 197
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 14/1/2013 5:20:19 AM   
siegfried

Having just watched the Golden Globes, I'm encouraged to hope that maybe the Academy won't be boringly obvious and give best picture to the worthy but dull Lincoln. I was so pleased to see Argo take the Globes for Best Picture and Best Director.
But let's face it, I don't really care that much so long as Tarantino doesn't come within a bull's roar.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 198
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 14/1/2013 7:06:50 PM   
Whistler

This opinion is subject to change as I'm yet to see Django Unchained, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook, Amour or Beasts of the Southern Wild*, but I really hope Argo takes the top prize. It won't, but I would love it to.

*Hope to catch SLP, Amour and Beasts on their pre-Oscars cinema re-run.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 199
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 25/1/2013 6:56:43 AM   
Anthony Lynch

I so damn agree. The Hobbit is amazing. Damn amazing.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 200
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 28/1/2013 10:45:41 AM   
sidd12690

waiting for oscars 2013...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 201
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 30/1/2013 10:36:32 PM   
ElephantBoy

Having seen pi the other day must say that is a very weak nomination, its not terrible, just painfully avenge.

Out of the ones I have seen so far wouldn't mind either Les Miserables or Silver Linings winning both satisfied me in different ways. But do plan on seeing Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty over the next week.

(in reply to sidd12690)
Post #: 202
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 3/2/2013 11:41:44 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

My Best Picture Rankings

Superb

Django
Silver Linings

Great

ZDT
Argo

Alright
Life Of Pi

I'm yet to see Lincoln which opens here in a few days, Amour I probably won't get to see until after the ceremony unless I *cough cough mumble mumble* and I really don't want to see Les Mis I probably will though.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 3/2/2013 11:42:46 PM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 203
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 4/2/2013 8:23:48 PM   
ElephantBoy

Zero Dark Thrity 10/10

Silver Linings Playbook 8/10

Argo 8/10

Les Miserables 7.5/10

Lincoln 7.5/10

Beasts of the Southern Wild 6/10

Life of Pi 5/10

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 22/2/2013 1:17:41 AM >

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 204
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 11/2/2013 6:33:39 PM   
Ultimo Lee

All of the animated shorts can be watched online now.

Link

Only seen Paperman so far.

Post #: 205
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 13/2/2013 12:10:41 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Zero Dark Thrity 10/10

Silver Linings Playbook 8/10

Argo 8/10

Les Miserables 7.5/10

Lincoln 7.5/10

Life of Pi 5/10

Updated! Just three to see now, will be seeing Amor around the time of the awards themselves.

Post #: 206
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 18/2/2013 9:06:20 PM   
elab49

Having now seen them all I'm having difficulty calling Documentary between Gatekeepers and Five Broken Cameras. I have a feeling the subject matter might carry the former. 

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 207
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 22/2/2013 1:20:21 AM   
ElephantBoy

Saw Beasts to say and have to say it was not the film I was hopeing for. Will see the final two Django and Amour next week.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 208
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 23/2/2013 10:18:41 AM   
elab49

My sweepstake

Best Film - Lincoln
Best Director - Haneke
Best Actor - Day-Lewis
Best Actress - Riva
Best Supporting Actor - Lee Jones (although I'd love Arkin to get it)
Best Supporting Actress - Adams
Best Animated - Wreck it Ralph (should be Pirates!)
Cinematography - Life of Pi (should be Skyfall)
Costume - Mirror Mirror
Documentary - The Gatekeepers
Doc Short - Innocente
Film Editing - Zero Dark Thirty
Foreign Language - War Witch
Hair - Hitchcock (would you give hathaway's haircut and award?!?)
Music - Lincoln
Song - Skyfall
Prodn Design - Lincoln (although I'm not that happy with the noms here)
Animated Short - Head over Heels
Sound Editing - Zero Dark Thirty
Sound Mixing - Skyfall
Visual Effects - Life of Pi
Adapted Screenplay - Lincoln
Original Screenplay - Amour
Short - about to watch them

quote:

Post #: 209
RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! - 23/2/2013 10:21:32 AM   
elab49

I was interested to see a story about the Academy's shorts distributor - Shorts HD - getting stroppy about the nominees putting the films on line for free. It's a bit off if you have to give up some rights to allow the Academy to profit just because you're nominated. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> RE: Oscars 2013 - The Predictions! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI