Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 5:31:52 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 27/2/2012 5:31:52 AM   
sean mac

why was a r rahman put in a box and ignored all night? Very peculiar...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The Artist - 27/2/2012 8:23:35 AM   
Swedle

was obviously going to win most of the big ones, i'm pleasantly surprised that midnight in paris got original screenplay, i thought the artist might get that too, whereas midnight in paris was much more deserving, and Hugo did well, lost out the big ones, but then it wasn't a masterpeice, definately deserved it for the technical awards though! although meryl streep is undoubtedly brilliant, i was hoping viola davis might get best actress, as for wanting gary oldman to win best actor, that obviously wasn't going to happpen, the americans gave it to the french guy, which is just another way to slap the british in the face, but never mind, he still deserved it...

Post #: 3
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 8:25:44 AM   
Darkcage69

I kinda knew The Artist would win but the star and director ain't going to be following that up with more acclaimed and well recieved movies. I was hoping the Oscars would see that after Tom Hooper for The Kings Speech, he ain't done jack since that. One hit wonders don't derserve to win. It should have gone to the greats. Clooney, any other director, any other best film than The Artist cleaning up the major awards!!!. Now for the next few years here comes the knock off silent, black and white movies to (sadly) grace our cinemas.

Post #: 4
Flight of the Conchords are taking over the world... - 27/2/2012 9:20:00 AM   
waltham1979

I would have given a limb to have Brett McKenzie pick up his oscar and start singing 'Whats wrong with the world today'!!

Post #: 5
RE: Flight of the Conchords are taking over the world... - 27/2/2012 9:31:02 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Wonder how much I could've got on an accumulator for Best Picture, Director, Actor/Actress & Supporting Actor/Actress as everyone predicted them. Gutted we could've all made a mint.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 6
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 10:05:08 AM   
Gazme

Thats not the point of the Oscars though...

Oh yea, you've got the best film, did the best direction and this guy was definitely the best actor...but you're not normally as good as Cloontang are you? We'll give it to him, he's more prolific, he'll be back sooner than you foreign idiots :)

On the Oscars? boring boring boring, boring boring boring, boring boring boring Oscars, boring boring Oscars.

(in reply to Darkcage69)
Post #: 7
Better than last year - 27/2/2012 10:49:04 AM   
annicka1804

Not sure if it was just because of all the Red Bull I had ingested but I was vaguely entertained through most of this. So happy that Bret Mckenzie won, and would have loved to see Gary Oldman win but he will get a lifetime achievement at some point I am sure. Well at least he better.

Joe LeTerri should have won for best visual effects and Tintin should have won best animation, was way better than Rango.

Post #: 8
Better than last year - 27/2/2012 10:50:25 AM   
annicka1804

Not sure if it was just because of all the Red Bull I had ingested but I was vaguely entertained through most of this. So happy that Bret Mckenzie won, and would have loved to see Gary Oldman win but he will get a lifetime achievement at some point I am sure. Well at least he better.

Joe LeTerri should have won for best visual effects and Tintin should have won best animation, was way better than Rango.

Post #: 9
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 11:24:11 AM   
narmour

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkcage69

I kinda knew The Artist would win but the star and director ain't going to be following that up with more acclaimed and well recieved movies. I was hoping the Oscars would see that after Tom Hooper for The Kings Speech, he ain't done jack since that. One hit wonders don't derserve to win. It should have gone to the greats. Clooney, any other director, any other best film than The Artist cleaning up the major awards!!!. Now for the next few years here comes the knock off silent, black and white movies to (sadly) grace our cinemas.

Surely it is the film that should be judged on it's own merits, and not what the director/ stars have done prior to the nominated film. Then it just becomes a popularity contest.

(in reply to Darkcage69)
Post #: 10
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 11:45:58 AM   
matty_b

quote:

Yeah, it was only 18 months ago.

Les Miserables is out this year.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Darkcage69)
Post #: 11
What? - 27/2/2012 12:31:31 PM   
Coyleone

How the hell didn't Tree Of Life win best cinematography?

Post #: 12
Couldn`t care less...... - 27/2/2012 1:03:22 PM   
papalupara

the most uninspiring list of nominees in years.No wonder Mr.Knowles couldn`t be arsed with a liveblog!

Post #: 13
Couldn`t care less...... - 27/2/2012 1:03:35 PM   
papalupara

the most uninspiring list of nominees in years.No wonder Mr.Knowles couldn`t be arsed with a liveblog!

Post #: 14
Couldn`t care less...... - 27/2/2012 1:04:05 PM   
papalupara

Post #: 15
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 1:14:06 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I kinda knew The Artist would win but the star and director ain't going to be following that up with more acclaimed and well recieved movies.

How do you know?

quote:

I was hoping the Oscars would see that after Tom Hooper for The Kings Speech, he ain't done jack since that.

He's filming a massive production of Les Miserables starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway in London at the moment.

quote:

One hit wonders don't derserve to win. It should have gone to the greats. Clooney, any other director, any other best film than The Artist cleaning up the major awards!!!.

(in reply to Darkcage69)
Post #: 16
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 27/2/2012 3:42:45 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I no longer take the Oscars seriously on any level. After years of frustrations and disappointments, my interest in the Oscars just quietly died, somewhere along the way. I'm going to blame the victory for the middling KING'S SPEECH, but in reality, that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyway, with all that said:

Glad to see Plummer got a statue, and Dujardin. He was great in the OSS movies. I've not yet seen THE ARTIST but I'm eager to check it out when I get the chance.

PS I am annoyed that Brad Pitt gets nom'd for his rather boring work in MONEYBALL. He was rewarded with that nom because he's a big enough star to get people to turn out for a movie without explosions. However, when he's doing career best work that happens to not succeed at the box office (ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES), the Academy ignores it. It's all so shallow and phony...

Post #: 17
Boring. Boring. Boring. - 27/2/2012 6:16:05 PM   
wgfuzzydunlop1

Don't think I'll be bothering next year. Oh, and a message to Sky, get decent guests on! Nick Moran acted like a fucking idiot!

Post #: 18
- 27/2/2012 6:37:21 PM   
agent cooper

Lets face it The Artist will go the way of many Oscar hounds, flavour of the year but give it a few years later and it will fade into the background whereas Tinker Tailor will endure and still be been talked about 30 years from now, Oldman should of won his performance is miles better than Dujardin, I guess just being charming is the way to win an Oscar forgetting actual proper acting, shouldn't surprise me they gave Hanks an Oscar for acting like an idiot in Forest Gump. The Oscars are a joke!

Post #: 19
- 27/2/2012 6:37:48 PM   
agent cooper

Lets face it The Artist will go the way of many Oscar hounds, flavour of the year but give it a few years later and it will fade into the background whereas Tinker Tailor will endure and still be been talked about 30 years from now, Oldman should of won his performance is miles better than Dujardin, I guess just being charming is the way to win an Oscar forgetting actual proper acting, shouldn't surprise me they gave Hanks an Oscar for acting like an idiot in Forest Gump. The Oscars are a joke!

Post #: 20
- 27/2/2012 6:38:41 PM   
agent cooper

Post #: 21
- 27/2/2012 6:38:43 PM   
agent cooper

Post #: 22
Undeserving - 27/2/2012 6:58:46 PM   
J_BUltimatum

I only like the Oscars for one thing. Apart from the odd nominee, the Oscars are a good way for me to decide which films to avoid. Working in a Cinema I have the chance to see a lot of movies and from the snippets I have seen of the likes of the Descendants (boring as hell), The Artist (OK, but definetly not worth any awards) and Hugo (utter crap!), I can safely the say the Oscars have done it again and missed out on a whole heap of movies that are much, much better than the crap that was on display (Moneyball being the exception). Why are decent films like Warrior and the Grey overlooked for rubbish like the Tree of Life and Extremely Loud and Pish. Some years I wish Mr. Oscar would just bugger off!

Post #: 23
You know what this means - 27/2/2012 8:11:44 PM   
Hywel

It's the longest possible time before Empire can bore us to death with features about the Oscars.

Post #: 24
You know what this means - 27/2/2012 8:11:51 PM   
Hywel

It's the longest possible time before Empire can bore us to death with features about the Oscars.

Post #: 25
You know what this means - 27/2/2012 8:12:07 PM   
Hywel

Post #: 26
You know what this means - 27/2/2012 8:12:34 PM   
Hywel

Post #: 27
RE: The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars - 1/3/2012 8:32:33 AM   
Darkcage69

Oh my god, I did my first ever comment and I got raped by a bunch of Internet geeks. Firstly I knew The Artist would win as Gary Oldman said 'it was obvious, as it won all the other awards out there'. And it was a no-brainer. But I hoped the Academy would stick to its on soil and give it to one of the others instead of the French, like the year Marissa Tomei won as she was the only American. Secondly woopy de dooo I knew Tom Hooper is making another version (excuse me a 'massive') version of Les Miserables, Thatís not Original at all!!

Post #: 28
RE: Undeserving - 1/3/2012 9:11:44 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: J_BUltimatum

I only like the Oscars for one thing. Apart from the odd nominee, the Oscars are a good way for me to decide which films to avoid. Working in a Cinema I have the chance to see a lot of movies and from the snippets I have seen of the likes of the Descendants (boring as hell), The Artist (OK, but definetly not worth any awards) and Hugo (utter crap!), I can safely the say the Oscars have done it again and missed out on a whole heap of movies that are much, much better than the crap that was on display (Moneyball being the exception). Why are decent films like Warrior and the Grey overlooked for rubbish like the Tree of Life and Extremely Loud and Pish. Some years I wish Mr. Oscar would just bugger off!

Agree 100 % about the Artist.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 29
RE: Boring. Boring. Boring. - 1/3/2012 9:40:46 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Should change his name to NICK MORON!
WHAT A TWAT!

(in reply to wgfuzzydunlop1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Artist Victorious At The 2012 Oscars Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI