Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Safe House - 23/2/2012 10:15:41 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 23/2/2012 10:15:41 PM   
lynnshep

Solid action thriller. Some obvious twists but still a solid spy thriller.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 23/2/2012 10:15:43 PM   
lynnshep

Solid action thriller. Some obvious twists but still a solid spy thriller.

Post #: 3
safe house - 24/2/2012 10:19:22 PM   
HERMES_67

good film. its quite predictable but fun nontheless.. enjoy.....

Post #: 4
safe house - 24/2/2012 10:19:23 PM   
HERMES_67

good film. its quite predictable but fun nontheless.. enjoy.....

Post #: 5
watchable..... - 25/2/2012 5:59:11 PM   
bretty

...but oh so average!

Post #: 6
RE: Safe House - 25/2/2012 8:58:37 PM   
tommytart

Safe house is at best decent. It marches forward in the first half with a good pace and all you would expect (fist to fist fights, gunfights, car chases, cut backs to CIA control rooms in Langley), before you know it the second half , grinds to a halt, and the film limps to a predictable end. The film is set in the fantastic Cape Town, one of my favourite and beautiful places on earth, but it could of been anyware as the settings are grim and nothing special.
Even after a nightshift and rolling into the Cinema ready to not think and just enjoy, I picked the plot, the baddies and the goodies, and when the credits rolled it was a sense of " was aright wasn't it?????".

Post #: 7
Meh - 25/2/2012 9:01:53 PM   
tysmuse

Yeah, it's passable. Both the leads are better than this.

Post #: 8
RE: Safe House - 25/2/2012 9:04:46 PM   
tommytart

Safe house is at best decent. It rushes throught the first half with all the fists fights, car chases and cut backs to Langley controlrooms. The film slows and limbs to a predictable finish that had all the normal conspiratores and baddies. The Film is set in the amazing Cape town but the films locations are grim and could of been anywhere As the credits appeared I turned and said "it was alright wasnt it???

Post #: 9
Safe House Review - 26/2/2012 9:43:52 PM   
the film man

Though Safe House is anchored by strong performances from both Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds, they're let down by a thin script and choppily edited action sequences that betray the film's unfortunate lack of imagination.

Post #: 10
RE: Safe House Review - 28/2/2012 12:55:03 AM   
Cool Breeze

Saw this tonight and thought it was one of the best action thrillers in YEARS.Possibly the best since The Bourne Ultimatum.Reynolds proves he can do more than prance around in superhero costumes and quip which was refreshing.He played this admirably straight and Denzel is reliable as always.

The reveal of who the villain is wont really surprise anyoen but its a fun night out at the flicks.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 11
- 2/3/2012 2:03:18 PM   
Nate_001

I agree with most people here, averagely fun but predictable. Tysmuse hit it on the head with 'both the leads are better than this'.

I think the whole, - CIA agent double crossed has to fight against system turns out system is corrupt - thing has been done to death.

Post #: 12
- 2/3/2012 2:20:30 PM   
Nate_001

I agree with most people here, averagely fun but predictable. Tysmuse hit it on the head with 'both the leads are better than this'.

I think the whole, - CIA agent double crossed has to fight against system turns out system is corrupt - thing has been done to death.

Post #: 13
RE: Safe House - 3/3/2012 9:37:25 PM   
tommytart

Safe house is a safe action packed fast moving movie that for an hour keeps you interested before running out of steam and leaving you standing up at the end turning to friends/loveones and saying "that was okay wasnt it ..? I picked the "twists"and saw the ending coming. Cape Town as a location added little with neither roles pushing Denzel or Reynolds. Decent but I echo other reviews of Bourne Light or the more descriptive Bourne Value, as it just about does the job .

Post #: 14
RE: Safe House - 18/3/2012 12:34:31 AM   
musht

As said earlier this is a solid action film, which unfortunately these days means it's quite predictable and the action is't anything we haven't seen before.
However I didn't go in expecting anything more than that and so I was thoroughly pleased.

can't believe the reviewer compared it to a Steven Segeal movie . . .

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to tommytart)
Post #: 15
RE: Safe House - 19/3/2012 11:12:32 AM   
yazoo88

I enjoyed this film and was suprised by Reynolds who I expected to struggle in this genre especially alongside Washington, however he pulled it off in my opinion.

The film wasn't anything special and was what you would expect from the genre, but was still decent and gives you what you want and expect.

Post #: 16
A bit too safe - 25/6/2012 7:17:21 PM   
stevenMcEpic

"Safe House" is technically well made, with its beautiful scenery and fast paced action scenes but it lacks any emotional punch.

Denzel Washington is terrific but he has very little to work with here. The film would of benefited with less action and more exchanges between Denzel and Reynolds.

Post #: 17
RE: Safe House - 16/7/2012 12:58:04 AM   
Phubbs

Safe House

SPOILER WARNING!

If you need a powerful performance for serious high quality espionage/wartime/crime type thrillers then you call on Mr Washington, its common knowledge. 'The Pelican Brief' 'Man on Fire' 'Inside Man' 'Courage Under Fire' 'The Manchurian Candidate' etc...the man is a serious actor and doesn't do silly summer blockbuster fare.

That in mind who better to use in another serious espionage double cross thriller that looks as if it was directed by Ridley Scott. The film could almost be a sequel to 'Man on Fire' its so similar in terms of plot development, action sequences, locations and the character Washington plays. Well OK its not exactly identical but you can see what I mean.

So we swap the hot humid sweaty conditions of Mexico for the dry heat conditions of South Africa. Washington is an ex-CIA agent turned criminal who gets procession of a disc containing lots of dirty secrets about the CIA and other agencies. Its up to the inexperienced Reynolds to protect him, even though he doesn't really want to.

The whole film plays out as you would expect but unfortunately like too many other films you may have seen. What you get throughout is directed and filmed with outstanding quality and high production values but its not really very original.  The action is top notch and certainly so extremely realistic you can taste the tension. A lot of deafening gunfire, fist fights that make you wince, some brutal car chases and crashes and all filmed within highly atmospheric real locations or sets.

So the problem is its just by the numbers and you know its all gonna end in double cross and twists...you just know it!. Without giving the game away there will be a lot of what I just said, but surely you all know that, its common practice in films like this hehe. The plot is simply your basic structured thriller which  includes all the basic ingredients that are usually required.
Using some top actors for the main roles of course helps but it doesn't hide its short falls I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure most people will probably deduce what Gleeson is up to and the obvious fact that the top ranking suits in the story are most probably hiding something. Always the same with these high rankings US officials in thriller films.

Ruben Blades has probably the most common role in a film like this, he is an old time friend who Washington's character retreats to in a time of need. There is a small sequence where they reminisce, then they get down to business as 'Frost' requires his help one last time, then of course the bad guys find them in their 'off the beaten track' location and Blades' character is killed. Just as quickly as he is introduced he is killed off, merely a stop gap for the main character to get some vital last minute help and refuel as it were.

If you wanna see some excellent action set pieces then you can't go wrong here. Alas that is all your gonna get really as the plot is chock full of all the regular thriller/espionage cliches that we have all seen before. Its not a bad film, its very very well made, its just old hat. It also seems to try and morph into a 'Bourne' type concept right at the very very end, almost hinting at a sequel which might take Reynolds character into familiar territory.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 16/7/2012 12:59:24 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: Safe House - 16/7/2012 5:00:45 AM   
Timbzy

Really bad and really boring. Couldn't have cared less about Ryan Reynolds or Denzel's characters.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 19
RE: Safe House - 16/7/2012 3:49:17 PM   
Curitis2012

I loved this film

< Message edited by Curitis2012 -- 16/7/2012 3:50:19 PM >

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 20
RE: Safe House - 16/7/2012 7:10:39 PM   
TragicRomantic

The leads-dull and duller.
A boring film,terrible script and phone-in performances.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to Curitis2012)
Post #: 21
RE: Safe House - 17/7/2012 8:20:33 PM   
moviebuff73

brilliant movie!

(in reply to TragicRomantic)
Post #: 22
RE: Safe House - 8/9/2012 9:23:25 PM   
gunstar

Massively pedestrian thriller with little or nothing to recommend it.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 23
RE: Safe House - 14/9/2012 6:38:57 AM   
cherylsturgill

Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actor and I this movie is still good though it was quite predictable still the actors are good and the movie is done great plus we got a free movie pass for this :D

I am Cheryl Sturgill, a movie lover, critic, blogger. I love reading reviews of other movie critics such as Eric Schiffer Seop and some others.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Safe House Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI