Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 21/2/2012 6:23:24 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Beautiful - 21/2/2012 6:23:24 PM   
Little Big One

With the cream of British acting talent and the beauty of India all in one film the only thing that could have made this a disappointment was the quality of the script. There was not one minute of this film that was not heart warming or life affirming. The moments of comedy were equally matched by the moments of quiet contemplation and character development. Every character / actor had his / her moment in the spotlight and shone. I do however agree with Anna Smith’s view that Dev Patel's story arc is a little superfluous at times and provides the weakest part of the film where the sage old extra gets the chance to point out (like the chorus in a Greek tragedy) that mothers and sons have always fought the same battles and usually with the same results.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Beautiful - 21/2/2012 6:23:25 PM   
Little Big One

With the cream of British acting talent and the beauty of India all in one film the only thing that could have made this a disappointment was the quality of the script. There was not one minute of this film that was not heart warming or life affirming. The moments of comedy were equally matched by the moments of quiet contemplation and character development. Every character / actor had his / her moment in the spotlight and shone. I do however agree with Anna Smith’s view that Dev Patel's story arc is a little superfluous at times and provides the weakest part of the film where the sage old extra gets the chance to point out (like the chorus in a Greek tragedy) that mothers and sons have always fought the same battles and usually with the same results.

Post #: 3
best exotic marigold hotel - 27/2/2012 11:22:15 PM   
ceejay1252

Brilliant! Just got in from watching a great cast,acting and script top class, very funny and very touching. For someone who visits india regulary It was on the money. Tell every one to go and watch, you wont be disappointed.

Post #: 4
Top Quality Hotel - 28/2/2012 11:02:22 PM   
bretty

The cinema was more packed than I have seen it for a long time, althpough I admit it was of a 'certain age'. This is a lovely film, with perfect performances from the best of British. Charm and wits runsthroughout and India itself acts as a fantastic canvas for the talents on display.

Post #: 5
Top Quality Hotel - 28/2/2012 11:02:24 PM   
bretty

The cinema was more packed than I have seen it for a long time, althpough I admit it was of a 'certain age'. This is a lovely film, with perfect performances from the best of British. Charm and wits runsthroughout and India itself acts as a fantastic canvas for the talents on display.

Post #: 6
RE: Top Quality Hotel - 1/3/2012 7:34:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

A group of British retirees are enticed by advertisements about a supposedly wonderful hotel in India called The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, a place for the “elderly and beautiful”. They are; the newly widowed Evelyn who is losing her home to pay off her husband’s debts, Graham a retired high court judge who grew up in India, would-be lothario Norman, equally ‘looking for fun’ and much married Madge, racist ex-housekeeper Muriel who is going to India for a hip replacement, and Douglas and Jeaan, whose marriage is on the rocks.

If you’re under 50, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sounds like one of those films your take your mother or grandmother too and just put up with without really enjoying. Well, it most certainly is a film for the elderly generation [the screen I watched it in was absolutely packed with old people], but there’s nothing wrong with that, and if you’re patient the film does have its pleasures even if you are not the target audience. Beginning as a straight-up comedy, with some of the funniest lines I’ve heard in ages [though admittedly you will have heard many of them in the trailer!], it doesn’t really proceed like one, and for some of its length moves at a pace more arthritic than any of its characters, but like them does attain some considerable dignity and ends up becoming rather involving. One particular subplot involving a character’s hidden past is especially well handled and ends in a very moving way, while all the major cast members act their socks off and are all given their moments to shine. The Indian city of Jaipur is a character in itself with all its vibrancy and colour, though a subplot involving Slumdog Millionaire’s Dev Patel [whose character will totally win you over with his cheerful optimism] seems like it belongs more in that film, and overall the movie doesn’t really hang together. However, its portrayal of people in their later years living their life to the full is very pleasing and one to be admired, and, though good in fits and spurts rather than continuously, when it is good, it’s relaxed charm and disdain for the typical Western view of old age as something pitiful may very well win you over. Whatever your age.

Rating: 7/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 1/3/2012 9:07:46 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 7
RE: Top Quality Hotel - 21/3/2012 1:13:53 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Tiptoes on the edge of tedium throughout, yet the performances from the very able cast keep it together. The stories involving Dench, Nighy, Wilton & Wilkinson work quite well and had Marigold Hotel focussed on them alone, a much more successful & affecting feature would have been the case. It is however bogged down by the plot lines of the elderly singletons, an unconvincing character transformation for Maggie Smith and Patel's entire piece almost feels like sub-standard Slumdog. Perfectly fine for its demographic, but no more than that.

3/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 8
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Review - 11/5/2012 12:46:54 PM   
the film man

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel isn't groundbreaking storytelling, but it's a sweet story about the senior set featuring a top-notch cast of veteran actors.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI