Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rampart - 20/2/2012 4:02:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Will be watching - 20/2/2012 4:02:02 PM   
SeanJenkins1

Been looking forward to this for a while now. Harrelson is a compelling and charismatic screen presence.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 25/2/2012 9:04:15 PM   
tysmuse

Harrelson is good, but only really gets going in the final act. Given that Ellroy wrote this, it doesn't really have any memorable dialogue. Iffy direction.

Post #: 3
Worst film I've seen in 2 years - 2/3/2012 5:59:37 PM   
david hayes

Trailer made it look like Training Day.
Was actually pretencious wankery of the highest order.
Rarley checked my watch more in a cinema
You will not believe the ending!!

Post #: 4
Rampart Review - 11/3/2012 2:32:24 PM   
DaleLawson

Through a rightfully heartbreaking narrative Rampart succeeds in providing both scenes convincing us that Brown is human, as well as scenes justifying the disciplinary meetings and family break-ups that occur throughout the film. Harrelson's phenomenal performance holds this otherwise slow movie together, with the help of the entire supporting cast.

Post #: 5
RE: Rampart Review - 11/3/2012 9:41:45 PM   
mackey

Given the subject matter, comparisons to 'Training Day' and 'The Shield' are inevitable but a tad misleading. Whereas that film & series offered up twists and robust action according to conventional thriller guidelines, 'Rampart' eschews propulsive narrative in favour intense character study. This approach may off putting to those expecting more bang for their buck but overall it's an extremely rewarding watch. There are a few unnecessarily obtuse camera angles which take the viewer out of the experience but Woody Harrelson's brilliant performance easily overcomes any such flaws. He's never off screen and it's testament to his skill that he makes such uncomfortable viewing absolutely riveting. A really strong film and well worth watching in my opinion.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to DaleLawson)
Post #: 6
RE: Rampart Review - 15/3/2012 1:19:58 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: mackey

Given the subject matter, comparisons to 'Training Day' and 'The Shield' are inevitable but a tad misleading. Whereas that film & series offered up twists and robust action according to conventional thriller guidelines, 'Rampart' eschews propulsive narrative in favour intense character study. This approach may off putting to those expecting more bang for their buck but overall it's an extremely rewarding watch. There are a few unnecessarily obtuse camera angles which take the viewer out of the experience but Woody Harrelson's brilliant performance easily overcomes any such flaws. He's never off screen and it's testament to his skill that he makes such uncomfortable viewing absolutely riveting. A really strong film and well worth watching in my opinion.

Nice review. Looking forward to seeing this - The Messenger was excellent and Harrelson was brilliant in that (as was Ben Foster).

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 7
RE: Rampart - 17/3/2012 7:20:30 PM   
Kazuya

Certainly gonna catch this one, in spite of the lukewarm review.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 8
RE: Rampart - 17/3/2012 7:20:39 PM   
Kazuya

Certainly gonna catch this one, in spite of the lukewarm review.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 9
RE: Rampart - 18/3/2012 12:45:18 PM   
film man aidy

Really fancy this one. Shame nowhere wants to show it. Bloody multiplexes...

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 10
RE: Rampart - 4/4/2012 8:07:56 AM   
Phubbs

Possibly one of Woody Harrelson's best performances for some time, maybe ever, as a dirty excessive cop whose actions are caught on tape and must face the consequences. The main theme behind the plot is its setting just after or during the 'Rampart scandal' of the late 1990's.

Don't know much about the Rampart scandal accept it involved lots of dirty crooked cops in LA who were also connected with gangsters, drugs, robbery etc...all the good stuff. I was slightly wrong in my assumption about the film at first, I expected lots of hood beatings and evidence planting amidst crack downs and underground gang warfare etc...not much of that, nothing in fact.

This isn't a huge issue though as the film is actually a very strong emotional rollercoaster for Harrelson's character as his job comes under threat for his wayward actions, his family lose faith in him and start to see him as a brutal cop whilst all the time things get worse as he continues with his shady actions to try and get money to pay for lawyers to save his job.

The film does become quite depressing as his downbeat situation gets worse, you do feel for the guy especially if you work in the same kind of role as Harrelson's character for real, its very close to reality as 'the company' take the citizens side and try to load everything on the single cop. You know he has bad judgement or over reaction but you also feel he doesn't do it maliciously.

I think the term 'hidden gem' covers this film for sure, find it and watch.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rampart Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI