Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 22/10/2012 6:44:56 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

What a rubbish episode! The scenes with Danes were the only good thing about the entire episode but to be fair she has pretty much carried this show since season 1 imho.

I think Homeland worked great as a one season story but now it's been stretched into something else, why should we be surprised by a weak episode such as last night's... I mean those scenes in the wood. FFS!!!

What is worse is that this is only episode 3 of the season. I wait to see if this show can pull itself back...

The opposite of this...

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 151
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 23/10/2012 7:46:58 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I honestly think Danes' facial expressions are some of the worst things about the show. Just feel like slapping the look off her face most of the time. Everything else is great though!

Funny that, I was thinking the exact opposite last night. (I watched it on record)
I don't see her as Claire Danes, I see her as Carrie, the brilliant but fucked up character in the show, and I think her facial expressions, flickering eyes and nervousness are what make the character. It's one of the most consistently good performances for ages, IMO.

Brilliant episode again, soooo happy she saw the video at the end (to be honest I was expecting to see Brody at the door rather than Saul)

quote:

I knew Saul was a good guy!

...still not convinced to be honest.

The only minor thing that annoys me is Brody's wife calling him Brody all the time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 152
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 23/10/2012 8:38:43 AM   
borstal

Im with Jonson. Not like that you filthmonkeys! I mean that Carries characterisation is excellent. Its quite far removed from the grimicing mental stares of soap opera characters that suffer from mental illness.
Its the expression of urgency in how her mind is working. Its meant to be slightly uncomfortable viewing and it works.

I still don't trust Saul (beard!) but am so glad Carrie got to see that she was right all along. Also regarding Brodys wife (FIT!) calling him Brody, well I know people that call their partners by their nicknames, its a bit annoying but it does happen.

< Message edited by borstal -- 23/10/2012 8:41:03 AM >

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 153
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 23/10/2012 9:36:29 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

... I mean those scenes in the wood. FFS!!!

Kind of agree with this if I'm honest, I enjoyed the episode but that whole tailor debacle was starting to resemble the kind of writing that strained credulity on the likes of Prison Break.

Having seen the next episode (no spoilers don't worry) Brody uses a word to describe that whole scenario which is more than apt.

Loved the ending though, so nice to see Carrie vindicated at last, I wanted to give her a big hug!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 154
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 23/10/2012 2:44:04 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

I honestly think Danes' facial expressions are some of the worst things about the show. Just feel like slapping the look off her face most of the time. Everything else is great though!

Funny that, I was thinking the exact opposite last night. (I watched it on record)
I don't see her as Claire Danes, I see her as Carrie, the brilliant but fucked up character in the show, and I think her facial expressions, flickering eyes and nervousness are what make the character. It's one of the most consistently good performances for ages, IMO.

Brilliant episode again, soooo happy she saw the video at the end (to be honest I was expecting to see Brody at the door rather than Saul)

quote:

The only minor thing that annoys me is Brody's wife calling him Brody all the time.

His wife really annoys me.
That bit in the car wound me up too, she criticises Brody for sleeping with Carrie, yet she had been baing that Marine next to her for god know how many years.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 155
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 23/10/2012 3:30:42 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

quote:

quote:

His wife really annoys me.
That bit in the car wound me up too, she criticises Brody for sleeping with Carrie, yet she had been baing that Marine next to her for god know how many years.

I enjoy Homeland despite apparently getting annoyed by everything in it! Carrie and her facial expressions that always make her look like she's drinking sour milk do my head in, along with the character's complete stubborness, which I mentioned in the US thread. I know that characteristic of hers often leads to positive outcomes but at other times I feel like strangling her.

Brody's wife irritates me too, though I can't quite put my finger on why. Although I don't agree with the criticism about her banging Mike. Brody was away for 8 years. That is a long time to wait for somebody, never knowing whether they'd ever return or whether they were even alive. I think she was well within her right to find somebody new, and infact I think it was brave of her to try to recreate the original family when Brody appeared back on the scene.

As a totally irrelevant aside, while Morena Baccarin is undoubtedly a beautiful woman, she has a rather long neck, which combined with her short hair makes me see her as a gazelle.

Yeah, I don't know either.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 156
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 23/10/2012 4:16:56 PM   
indysgill

I am going to see her as a gazelle from now on!

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 157
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 24/10/2012 9:33:06 AM   
squeezyrider

Caught up on this last night and am still loving it. The last two episodes seemed to really shift things to me. In the first series we were made to doubt Brody, the believe him, then understand him, then feel sorry for him, then doubt him again and so on and it was a really effective and believable narrative. We were constantly being asked to question what we thought of Brody, I think now we're being told exactly what to think of him.

There was a degree of nobility in what he was planning to do in Isa's name now he's just trying to save his own skin. His true loyalty was shown when he saved Abu Nasir, surely if he really doubted what he was doing that would have been the easiest way out for him.

Really want to know what's going to happen next as the cat is out of the bag far earlier in the series than I expected I just hope it doesn't get silly.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 158
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 24/10/2012 12:47:17 PM   
jcthefirst

Hang on, are people upset that Carrie's/Claire Danes facial expressions that are probably the most accurate representation of the emotions she's going through are off putting? I think she should be commended for not being worried about what she looks like, and that the show doesn't go for the single tear rolling down her cheek method to let us know she's sad.

Her face crumples, as it should. You ever see yourself cry? It ain't pretty.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 159
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 27/10/2012 4:24:26 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Hang on, are people upset that Carrie's/Claire Danes facial expressions that are probably the most accurate representation of the emotions she's going through are off putting? I think she should be commended for not being worried about what she looks like, and that the show doesn't go for the single tear rolling down her cheek method to let us know she's sad.

Her face crumples, as it should. You ever see yourself cry? It ain't pretty.

I think her facial expressions really do carry over what she is going through and have no problem with them. The one that did crack me up was when she lost the agent following her in Lebanon by kneeing him in the nuts, her little smirk as she got away was priceless.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 160
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 27/10/2012 11:02:52 PM   
Mister Coe

The only thing I'm thinking about is that Damien lewis is signed up for five seasons and Claire Danes is really pregnant right now.

Does anyone else think that this does not bode well for Carrie?

Say what now?

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 161
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 9:06:55 AM   
jonson

I can't see the writers ever giving Carrie a happy ending, last nights was about as close as she'll get I would assume, although I can't see how it's going to carry on now that Brody has been arrested?
Enough people have now seen the tape (I was unsure when it was only "untrustworthy and bearded" Saul) so that rules out a double deception, but are there bigger powers at play here? Will the VP be embroiled in it all? It could go a hundered ways now, but they have to be careful IMO. The "woods" scene in last week's episode nearly pushed it to parody, which is a shame for such a brilliant series.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 162
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 2:08:11 PM   
discodave101

Credit where its due to the writers, you cannot predict this show. Last nights ending was again, phenomenal, and the last place you expected it to go this early.

Jonson - I'm with you on the scenes in the woods last week. Hated that whole comical plot strand and it worried me a little that they'd do more of that to keep this season ticking along. Thankfully though, it seems not.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 163
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 2:47:57 PM   
Mute

Yeah, I was not expecting the operation to trap Brody to be over and done with within one episode. I really don't know where they're going with it now they have Brody in custody and concrete evidence that he's a terrorist already - I wasn't expecting that until episode 10 at the earliest. It's rare to be able to watch a show and have no idea where it's going to go next, but so far this has managed it.

PSN: blackout505

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 164
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 3:00:17 PM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mute

Yeah, I was not expecting the operation to trap Brody to be over and done with within one episode. I really don't know where they're going with it now they have Brody in custody and concrete evidence that he's a terrorist already - I wasn't expecting that until episode 10 at the earliest. It's rare to be able to watch a show and have no idea where it's going to go next, but so far this has managed it.

Hmmmm...well...I can still see plenty of material, just not what we all probably expected.

1. Interrogation (could spill over quite a few episodes)
2. Finding certain Nazir agents one by one
3. Small probability of Brody going triple agent?
4. His family dealing with finding out he's in custody
5. Still the whole Nazir network to go after - Its called Homeland after all
6. More back story to explain a bit more about Brody and his partner being "turned". The one or two episode flashbacks weren't enough to justify all his actions. I expected a lot more.
7. Some possible way for Brody to manage to wrangle out of custody by casting doubt on the evidence? (can't think of any though)

(in reply to Mute)
Post #: 165
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 3:19:07 PM   
crimond

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mute

Hmmmm...well...I can still see plenty of material, just not what we all probably expected.

1. Interrogation (could spill over quite a few episodes)
2. Finding certain Nazir agents one by one
3. Small probability of Brody going triple agent?
4. His family dealing with finding out he's in custody
5. Still the whole Nazir network to go after - Its called Homeland after all
6. More back story to explain a bit more about Brody and his partner being "turned". The one or two episode flashbacks weren't enough to justify all his actions. I expected a lot more.
7. Some possible way for Brody to manage to wrangle out of custody by casting doubt on the evidence? (can't think of any though)

Couldn't he say that they made him shoot the video while captive? And as his actions show he had no intention of blowing himself up and was instead trying to uncover the network himself (information he did not share as he didn't know who he could trust).

Post #: 166
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 3:40:13 PM   
discodave101

I thought the same - but then if that was the case they'll argue he should've told them he had in his debrief on his return that the video was made. I'm sure the question of 'did they force you to make any videos/confessions/propaganda?' would've been high on the list.

The fact he's wearing his full military get up (including any medals he was given after his rescue?) and his appearance is very healthy (hasn't got long hair or abused look like he had when he was found in a hole) would suggest he'd have had to make the video years ago. Also - can't remember exactly, but doesn't what he say in the video make it obvious it was done by him AFTER being captive? I may be wrong.

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 167
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/10/2012 7:57:54 PM   
Spectre

I was also surprised that they ended the surveillance so quickly. They could have used that to form the basis of the whole season.

Genuinely intrigued as to where they go next from here.

Post #: 168
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 30/10/2012 3:08:41 PM   
borstal

Surely they are going to attempt to somehow get Brody to trap Nazir?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 169
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 30/10/2012 9:15:44 PM   
Cool Breeze

Im enjoying Homeland but that daughter of Brodys is annoying as is that whole tween love triangle plot which is only there to pad the episodes out.And like someone else has said, the series premise doesnt seem likely to last long beyond one season really.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 170
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 31/10/2012 1:38:35 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Im enjoying Homeland but that daughter of Brodys is annoying as is that whole tween love triangle plot which is only there to pad the episodes out.And like someone else has said, the series premise doesnt seem likely to last long beyond one season really.

It's going somewhere. Trust me.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 171
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 1/11/2012 10:35:56 AM   
Sinatra

I think we will now see Brody interogated for a while... a bit of water-boarding perhaps?

Then it'll be the whole 'will he - wont he' double agent thingy...

They can't go public that a congressman is a terrorist, so it could become very political in the next episode... he's moved out from his family so that give them some scope to keep his arrest secret..

I don't trust the vice president or his son... so there may be more to that side of things.

Also, they may now use Brody to finally unmask the mole within the CIA - who I still believe is the Jewish assistant guy...

What a show though.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 172
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/11/2012 9:33:20 AM   
Sinatra

More of a settling episode last night... Carrie's scene with Brody was brilliant, she really knows him inside out and when he finally admitted everything it sent chills down my spine.

Now we could see it becoming a game of cat and mouse once again.

I'm finding the daughter side story a bit anoying if I am honest, not sure what (if any) relevance this will have going forward.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 5/11/2012 9:34:01 AM >

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 173
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/11/2012 10:57:57 AM   
Mute

Excellent. The interrogation scenes were fantastic. Danes and Lewis were better than I've ever seen them, and I enjoyed Rupert Friend going mental too - that was unexpected. And they found a nice way to maintain the ambiguity surrounding Brody after seemingly ending it last week.

As for Brody's daughter, I think what happened could threaten to sink Brody's political career. After which he ceases to be useful to Abu Nasir, so the CIA have to cover it up in order to maintain his position. I think this is where they're heading with Mike's story too.

PSN: blackout505

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 174
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/11/2012 11:28:31 AM   
borstal

Please can you all watch the first half of the interrogation scene again.

This time watch her ears. I couldn't follow what they were saying at all because of the swapping of Carries ear visability.

Good episode though, its all a bit sillier than the first season (thankfully the vice presidents sons car could fit under that obstruction eh? EH?!) but it is hard to second guess what is going to happen next.

(in reply to Mute)
Post #: 175
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/11/2012 11:50:20 AM   
MOTH

those familiar with current events in Ireland will be fully expecting the Peter Quinn character to be up to no good.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 176
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/11/2012 12:05:24 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I think we will now see Brody interogated for a while... a bit of water-boarding perhaps?

Then it'll be the whole 'will he - wont he' double agent thingy...

They can't go public that a congressman is a terrorist, so it could become very political in the next episode... he's moved out from his family so that give them some scope to keep his arrest secret..

I don't trust the vice president or his son... so there may be more to that side of things.

Also, they may now use Brody to finally unmask the mole within the CIA - who I still believe is the Jewish assistant guy...

What a show though.

Wasn't there a scene somewhere in the first season that pretty much confirmed this? Or am I remembering wrong?

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 177
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/11/2012 7:39:04 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Wasn't there a scene somewhere in the first season that pretty much confirmed this? Or am I remembering wrong?

You mean Saul? The bearded guilty one? Yes, he passed a lie detector test in the first series. Still dodgy IMO.

quote:

I'm finding the daughter side story a bit anoying if I am honest, not sure what (if any) relevance this will have going forward.

Me too, but there must be some outcome/relevance to it somehow.

Anyway, good episode, brilliantly acted as usual by Danes and Lewis, I must admit to actually feeling quite sorry for Brody, hoping they could both escape and live on a desert island (away from annoying kids, gazelle's necks, Estes (who looks more like Emile Heskey every week) and dodgy bearded bastards)

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 178
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/11/2012 9:44:49 AM   
Sway

quote:

Anyway, good episode, brilliantly acted as usual by Danes and Lewis, I must admit to actually feeling quite sorry for Brody, hoping they could both escape and live on a desert island (away from annoying kids, gazelle's necks, Estes (who looks more like Emile Heskey every week) and dodgy bearded bastards)

Was a comment of mine just referenced by jonson?!

After 7 years on the forum, I have finally made it.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 179
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/11/2012 12:32:14 PM   
jonson

haha - you've pretty much fucked the show up for everyone. I can only see a Gazelle's neck when I see her now.
It's nothing to be proud of

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI