Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 28/2/2012 7:59:04 PM   
Captain Black

More to the point has he seen a bunch of his own shows?

What he actually means is "I want shows that are crime procedurals".

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 31
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 28/2/2012 8:04:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

Exactly. Five and its offspring are becoming more and more like Alibi every year. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 32
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 28/2/2012 8:47:34 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

That last line is a doozy. Has he seen Homeland?

Fun fact: I can't read that word without hearing it in Ned Ryerson's voice.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 33
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 11:20:26 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia
Inigo Montoya

Mind. Blown.

Another good episode, better than the first I think.

I shall be sticking with this.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 34
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 11:28:13 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

That last line is a doozy. Has he seen Homeland?

Fun fact: I can't read that word without hearing it in Ned Ryerson's voice.

'Fun' fact?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 35
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 11:59:59 AM   
Chief

Shifty, meet Homer. His life is just one big party.

With hats.

Post #: 36
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 12:07:32 PM   
Shifty Bench

Now, the big question is this- does he prefer those cone type hats with the thin chin straps or the paper crown type ones you get in crackers?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 37
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 12:14:23 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Now, the big question is this- does he prefer those cone type hats with the thin chin straps or the paper crown type ones you get in crackers?

I too am loving Homeland! I watch anything with Damien Lewis in

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 38
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 12:17:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

I love that photo, the cat is planning to kill that guy in his sleep, you just know it 

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 39
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 29/2/2012 1:20:03 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I think Le Tenia just means it's an often used expression from 24, not that they inhabit the same fictional universe (they don't).

Aye, if it was said once it was said a dozen times........along with " Dammit ", and " You're going to have to trust me ".

Ah right, gave up on 24 about 6 episodes in so I didn't get that.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 40
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/3/2012 7:19:07 PM   
Vadersville

Anyway still watching this? Almost fell asleep during the last episode. But then we did get to see Morena Baccarin's boobies again. Great success! But yeah, bit disappointed with how the series seems to be dragging now after the potential of the first episode.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 41
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/3/2012 8:51:36 PM   
bub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Anyway still watching this? Almost fell asleep during the last episode. But then we did get to see Morena Baccarin's boobies again. Great success! But yeah, bit disappointed with how the series seems to be dragging now after the potential of the first episode.

Agreed with being a bit disappointed with it. It's not bad at all and is still very watchable BUT it just seems to be missing something and I honestly don't know what it is but I'm just not gripped by it at the moment.

ALTHOUGH BIG SHOUT OUT FOR ALL THE EPIC TITS

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 42
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 5/3/2012 9:02:58 PM   
Cool Breeze

Watching this on RTE and were about seven episodes in.The show is a slow burner so its really the complete opposite of 24 in its pacing but stick with it,it gets very good.

Claire Danes is awesome.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 5/3/2012 9:03:24 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 43
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/3/2012 8:27:36 AM   
MartinBlank76

I thought the last episode was probably the weakest yet but I am still interested in where its going to go.

Damian Lewis is the highlight of the show and whenever he is on screen it pulls me in and keeps me interested.

My interest doesnt exactly wane as its so important to the story, but I dont find it as interesting when it focuses on Clare Danes. Personally I think she is the weak link though I am not sure whether its her performance or moreso the character. She seems to be in hysterics or on the verge of hysterics in every scene. How come no one else in the CIA are thinking to themselves that maybe she is a little too highly strung or on the verge of a breakdown to be dealing with matters of national security?

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 44
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/3/2012 10:54:20 AM   
Chief

I'm still in, still enjoying it.

The fact that it's a slow burner isn't actually a bad thing for me. It means I can discuss it with the Mrs while watching it. She usually get's a deadly stare if she opens her trap during one of these types of show.

Post #: 45
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/3/2012 1:30:08 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

The fact that it's a slow burner isn't actually a bad thing for me. It means I can discuss it with the Mrs while watching it. She usually get's a deadly stare if she opens her trap during one of these types of show.

That's one of the things I like about it too

We had a "you can talk during the ads" rule , until she discovered the pause button on the remote.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 46
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/3/2012 1:49:07 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

We had a "you can talk during the ads" rule , until she discovered the pause button on the remote.

It's usually something of critical importance too - "You'll never guess what so-and-so said today..."

Shoosh woman!

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 47
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 6/3/2012 1:55:46 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

My interest doesnt exactly wane as its so important to the story, but I dont find it as interesting when it focuses on Clare Danes. Personally I think she is the weak link though I am not sure whether its her performance or moreso the character. She seems to be in hysterics or on the verge of hysterics in every scene. How come no one else in the CIA are thinking to themselves that maybe she is a little too highly strung or on the verge of a breakdown to be dealing with matters of national security?

I seen a good point on this in an AV Club review for Episode 7 actually:

quote:

She’s a loose cannon, yes, because that’s exciting to watch in a show like this. But unlike on most shows, she’s a loose cannon like one might exist in the real world, a jumpy person constantly chasing after shadows and running in circles.

I like the idea of that.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 48
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 7/3/2012 9:50:57 AM   
borstal

I think its great, no issues with pacing at all. Thats why I gave up on 24 after 5 series. I was thinking 'oh for fucks sake go take a shit for ten minutes then go on the internet and get lost in increasingly bizarre Youtube videos for a couple of hours instead of running round blowing shit up'.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 49
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 7/3/2012 10:24:08 AM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

I seen a good point on this in an AV Club review for Episode 7 actually:

quote:

She's a loose cannon, yes, because that's exciting to watch in a show like this. But unlike on most shows, she's a loose cannon like one might exist in the real world, a jumpy person constantly chasing after shadows and running in circles.

I like the idea of that.

Thats a fair point but its more the fact she is so unlikable and at times irritating as well that puts me off. Maybe thats deliberate, that the so called possible 'bad guy' is more sympathetic and likable than the good guy.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 50
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 7/3/2012 11:26:32 AM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

It's usually something of critical importance too - "You'll never guess what so-and-so said today..."

Shoosh woman!

Flip this round and it's the exact same for me! The other half is really enjoying it but it doesn't stop him from getting into a very long winded speech about a particular angle of the show. No matter how many times I huff and puff, throw my hands up in the air, scream I. AM. TRYING. TO. WATCH. THIS. He still doesn't get the hint.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 51
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 8/3/2012 10:22:43 AM   
spark1

did the 'candidate' inspire 'homeland'?-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/mar/07/homeland-manchurian-candidate-drama?intcmp=ILCMUSIMG9382

Post #: 52
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 13/3/2012 11:51:17 PM   
Goodfella

The end to the fourth episode mildly suggests that at some point there may be a romantical intervention between Carrie and Brody, I'm guessing I wasn't the only one to pick up on that?

All the references to Carrie's "pasts" with her superiors, and her reluctance to end the investigation into Brody and the desperate measures she will go too.

Great show so far, really enjoying it.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 53
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 14/3/2012 1:16:51 AM   
boaby

I'd say "romantic" would be the wrong euphemism.

The beardy CIA dude got affa offended when she came onto him, not just 'cos it was inappropriate in a boss/subordinate kinda way but because she was treating him like he was someone to play. She only did that as a last resort. Getting in Brody's pants is probably the equivalent last chance to keep tabs on this mark. She did seem very reluctant to "make contact".

Also, thon silver bowl in the garage sink, with which Brody ritualistically washed his hands and which Carrie discovered, looked kinda decorative. Is there typical style for bowls involved in Muslim practice? If there is, then I'm surprised Carrie never twigged that he's been converted to Islam. Not incriminating in itself, obviously, but the context in which his conversion must have been made would surely have provided her excuse enough to continue spying on the poor manny.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 54
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 20/3/2012 9:01:14 PM   
Captain Black

Best line in this episode is from the analyst sending the 'ghost' email:

-"I'd say you owe me dinner, Carrie. Possibly even sex"
-"Holy fuck!"
-"Well, I wouldn't go that far."

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 55
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 21/3/2012 11:17:01 AM   
st3veebee

I have to say I'm loving the pace of the show now. Slow(ish) character development and tension buildilng when handled correctly can make for fantastic television. 

I also think that Mandy Patinkin is the heart of the show: Danes and Lewis handle the edgy characters perfectly but everytime Saul is on screen the show really is something special.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 56
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 21/3/2012 12:41:51 PM   
Chief

I'm not sure I trust Saul, or is that too obvious?

Post #: 57
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 21/3/2012 1:25:31 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
It's surprised me a bit how unambiguous with regard to certain loyalties it seems so far. I'm assuming there's plenty more twists and turns to come which may change things drastically, but at the moment it all seems a bit obvious which has taken me aback as I expected it to be a lot more subtle.

I actually hope that we don't get any 24/typical modern American drama style twists thrown in - it would make a nice change for a show to be unpredictably predictable, if that makes sense. In other words, I think it would be best for the show and the story if it turns out that he has indeed been brainwashed to work as a spy/informer/whatever for that terrorist and that it will continue as a relatively straight forward drama with no ridiculous surprises.

Having said that, the show doesn't really seem to be going anywhere at the moment (not because of what I said above) and the only thing it's really done in five episodes is show that the acting is generally very good, it might be okay to be unfaithful to your husband if you genuinely think he's dead, it's remarkably easy to install and remove cameras and microphones in someone's house, never believe a CIA agent when they say they've got your back, and that Mandy Patinkin wears a beard very well indeed.

It's not rubbish by any stretch, but at the moment I can't see it being anything more than an okay one-off watch.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 58
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 21/3/2012 1:36:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

It's not rubbish by any stretch, but at the moment I can't see it being anything more than an okay one-off watch.

It was this for me. Some very good acting, and it's always good to see Ray Vecchio back on screen, but the story was a lot shallower than the writers seemed to think it was, IMO, and they clearly think it's a lot more. And I was pretty unimpressed with the way female characters were dealt with. It's basically consumed like 24, but tidied up a bit to not look quite so glib. And the acting really helps with that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 59
RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed - 22/3/2012 2:51:44 PM   
borstal

quote:

I'm not sure I trust Saul, or is that too obvious?

He does have a beard.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI