Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 11/3/2013 1:37:35 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

I got one of these, works great. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160985753809

If you are trying to connect to an HDTV then some will just not "see" th signal from an RF connection as it isnt strong enough.

If the MD lights up when switched on then it probably works as theres not a lot to go wrong.

How much did you get if for?

40 notes. Thing is there's no way I'm going to get an S-Video to Scart cable by close of play tomorrow and I don't want to risk spending 40 on nothing. Trying last night, our TV found 3 channels on auto tuning, sure enough channel 36 seems to be the one that its on, (every website I went on last night said to expect it to appear on 36) but we're just hearing a click from the telly when we press the power button, also Mrs Me is pretty certain she has a Megadrive back home that I may try and acquire, throw in there's a local guy on gumtree selling a Dreamcast, I may take it back, see what local geezer wants for the Dreamcast, get that, get the Megadrive back from Scotland and start ebaying it up to get some games for them both

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 211
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 11/3/2013 4:00:03 PM   
Sleazy

yeah its the auto tune that misses it.

To be honest 40 isnt a stunning deal there, you can usually pick up a console for around 15 and games for a quid or 2.

Make sure the Dreamcast loads games, the most common fault with them is they will boot up to the dash but will be unable toread game discs de to laser alighment. The seller may have turned it on to check it without actually loading a game.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 212
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 11/3/2013 6:27:41 PM   
ChickMagnet

Thanks for the advice, the wife has confirmed she definitely still has the Megadrive back home, when she's next back up she'll bring it down, time to e-mail the Gumtree Guy (he's included photo's of the machine working on his advert), see how much he wants.

Edit: Scrap that, he wants 40 for the DC, 2 controllers, a keyboard and 4 games (WWF Attitude, TrickStyle, Soul Calibur and Tony Hawks Skateboarding), it seems a bit steep

< Message edited by ChickMagnet -- 11/3/2013 6:30:58 PM >

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 213
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/3/2013 9:44:51 AM   
Sleazy

yeah thats pricey. Of those games only Soul Calibur is worth more than a couple of quid and even then its common.

Theres a stall at my local car boot that usually knocks out Dreamcasts for around 15. 20ish is probably usual so unless its boxed and immaculate then 40 is too much.

I've noticed the likes of Gumtree is getting more expensive, only a year ago people seemed to regard these consoles as junk, now people are advertising them as "retro" as the whole thing is getting more popular.

Sleazys top retro tip of the day: Now is the time to buy PS2, prices are currently rock bottom (I usually pay about 50p a game), after PS4 is released I can see them rising again. The same happened with PS1.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 214
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/3/2013 11:19:36 AM   
borstal

I deleted some old emails from one of my accounts today with loads of sales on ebay. It reminded me of how stupidly big my collection was and how awesome it was.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 215
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/3/2013 11:35:41 AM   
Sleazy

what made you ditch it all Borstal?

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 216
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/3/2013 11:39:07 AM   
borstal

Broke up with the ex I had a house with. Skint and lack of room. It was super-stupid big. I remember looking at all the games and thinking I'd need a few lifetimes to play them all.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 217
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/3/2013 1:40:24 PM   
juanvasquez

Ugh, second DC av lead broken. Goes to show, you get what you pay for. Gonna have a look around, see if I can get a reasonably priced* official scart.

*Stop laughing.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 218
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/3/2013 6:17:26 PM   
juanvasquez

Bought a slightly more expensive av cable with S-video connection, too. I hope it works better than the cheap shite I bought last time. Currently using the rf lead and it looks shocking.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 219
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/3/2013 6:37:35 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

Stumbled across a Dreamcast site and it turns out the DC is a homebrewers dream!

Downloaded a few things including a new OS to allow you to attach and use an SD card (and load games from there) as well as various emulators. Was an odd experience playing CPC games on a DC.

Only got around to checking this out at the weekend, and what I've seen so far is brilliant. I normally wouldn't take this route, but the only other option is over priced selling sites, and at present, isn't an option.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 220
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/3/2013 3:11:06 PM   
Chief

Nintendo collection anyone:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221202123622

Post #: 221
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/3/2013 3:41:47 PM   
Sleazy

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Bought a slightly more expensive av cable with S-video connection, too. I hope it works better than the cheap shite I bought last time. Currently using the rf lead and it looks shocking.

This is what I use, brilliant picture.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 222
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 10:29:36 AM   
Sleazy

Gonna buy a Neo Geo X today.

Its a portable NeoGeo, pre loaded with 20 games that can take additionalgames via an SD slot. Getting the gold edition which comes with the TV dock and stick.

Have seen some great reviews of this and a few bad ones, it seems though that the bad ones are NeoGeo owners getting a bit elitist about their machines.

tell me that doesnt look sexy.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 223
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 11:21:01 AM   
borstal

quote:

NeoGeo owners getting a bit elitist about their machines.

Im shocked

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 224
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 11:27:58 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Thinking of getting an old SNES or N64, anyone know roughly how much I should be paying for one?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 225
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 12:22:42 PM   
Sleazy

depends on the carts they come with.

As a very rough guide for console only...

15 - 20 for N64

25 - 35 for Snes

Thats unboxed with leads and 1 controller

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 226
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 2:14:51 PM   
Chief

Have any of you guys that's took the plunge and bought retro consoles ever sat back and thought it's a bit shit really?

I went on a spree and bought a Mega Drive, SNES & N64 and they were all back on Ebay shortly after when the nostalgia had worn off. Same with downloading shit like Golden Axe on the Xbox.

Maybe it's just shiny new things have ruined old games for me.

Post #: 227
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 2:18:37 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Thanks Sleazy.

I've never been one for retro gaming but I've recently felt the urge to play some of the old Mario games, especially since the lad is currently loving Mario 3D land on his 3DS.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 228
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 2:39:03 PM   
Sleazy

erm, yes and no.

On the whole its the collector in me that drives it, collecting all the games n consoles, hunting for bargains etc, Its like a gaming American Pickers. Watch Youtube shows like Game Chasers or The NES Pursuit to see what I mean.

When it comes to actually playing them then some havent aged well its true but some truely have. Once you get past no achievements or online you end up appreciating retro games in a different way.

Its like watching an old movie, sure the production or effects could be laughable by todays standards but you enjoy it as a product of its time. I was playing Shadow of the Beast the other day and thought how brilliant the graphics were. Now by todays standards they arent but I was appreciating how advanced this looked for 1988 or whatever.

I had a few of the guys round and they were playing on my Shinobi machine and loving it, its a different experience. These guys were die hard 360 and PC gamers too.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 229
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/3/2013 8:01:32 PM   
juanvasquez

I agree on that. Part of the appeal is the collecting, but the majority of what I have in my collection, are games that I still enjoy playing, particularly the Dreamcast. It's a noisy beast but has some awesome games. Speaking of which, my new cable arrived and it looks so shiny and awesome compared to that horrible RF cable.

A few of the people I follow on twitter have been going on about the Neo Geo X. Looks awesome, but a bit out of my price range at the moment.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 230
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 22/3/2013 9:51:41 AM   
Chief

It does look a sexy bit of kit.

Post #: 231
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 22/3/2013 2:21:27 PM   
Sleazy

Ok time for Sleazys quick review on the Neo Geo X.

When I first saw pics of the upcoming system I knew I had to have one, I remember playing loads of Neo Geo games as a kid in the arcades at Whitley Bay and drooling over them in the pages of C&VG but like most of us I knew I could never afford one.

Fast forward to now and whilst a PSP and the Virtual Console have scratched that itch to a point I finally have the chance to own a "Neo Geo".

I managed to snag this one for 100 unopened from a fella on Gumtree which was a great start. When I opened it up the packaging is all very nicely done and even the sticker seals have the NeoGeo logos on them.

I had a play last night and for the most part its a great system, it essentially breaks down into 3 parts:

The Handheld: This is the system itself, its about the size of a PSP but thinner. Its lighter than you expect but feels very welll made. The stick is very nice and produces and audible click when moved, its far better than the D pads seen on PSP, GameGadget, DS and the like. The back of the unit has a rubberised finish with SNK inlain in silver. It really does look like a prime piece of kit. The screen is decent and everything runs very well on it, It doesnt look Vita good though. There are usb, hdmi, headphone and AV ports.

The Console: This is what had originally caught my eye, its essentially just a charging/TV dock but is made to resemble the original AES console. Its about 20% smaller than the original. The handheld fits inside the console rather than in the cartridge slot (which is actually just for show) but the innards are nicely done with a soft feel to the surface that the handhelds sits on. I have heard critisism of the console material quality but imo its on par with other consoles such as Megadrive. This connects to your TV via RCA or HDMI and charges the system whilst attached. My only issue with this unit is the menu button, all it does is press down on the handhelds menu button and as such doesnt always register.

The stick: Now this is the bit most people have praised, I have never used an actual AES so I cant compare it. To me whilst it does work great and looks nice it feels hollow. I have read reviews where people have put it through its paces and it has come through them all but in comparison to something like Madcatz' Tatsunoko stick it feels cheap. On the plus side it is PS3 and PC compatible too. With the stick being USB I did try and alternative stick in the console but it did not register. Not bad by any means but tarnished by my owning and being used to a superior product. i will still need to buy another though for 2 player SNK goodness.

Finally the 20 games are preloaded and there is room for additional cards - it is bundled with Ninja Masters, a game I hadnt played before but was very impressed by. They all seemed to run absolutley fine on both handheld and TV, apparently if you run them side by side with a real AES it isnt quite as crisp but its nothing to worry about.

The games are:
1.3 Count Bout
2.League Bowling
3.Art of Fighting
4.Magician Lord
5.Alpha Mission 2
6.Metal Slug
7.Baseball Stars 2
8.Mutation Nation
9.Cyber Lip
10.Nam 1975
11.Fatal Fury
12.Puzzled
13.Fatal Fury Special
14.Real Bout - Fatal Fury Special
15.The King of Fighters '95
16.Samurai Shodown II
17.King of the Monsters
18.Super Sidekicks
19.Last Resort
20.World Heroes Perfect

It has just been announced that April will see more gamecards released, these feature 3 games per card. Havent heard of UK prices yet but $25 has been quoted for USA.

All in all I like this machine, if you are a fan of SNK then I can recommend it, of course its better if you can find it for less than the hefty 175 RRP. If you were never struck by NeoGeo in the first place though then this isnt for you and you are probably better off with SNK Arcade Classics on Wii (which is a fantastic disc by the way however the ports are better on the X)

< Message edited by Sleazy -- 22/3/2013 2:23:09 PM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 232
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/4/2013 9:44:11 AM   
Sleazy

New project. Picked this up last night, love the 70s sty;e artwork and it will form the basis of my MAME cab

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 233
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/4/2013 11:52:13 AM   
Sleazy

Mame cab up and running, still need to add pexi and a few more cosmetic things but it works!

dark vid but you can see it going.

http://youtu.be/oiae2zINb-w

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 234
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 8/6/2013 7:29:09 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

well if u are in York Chickmagnet its only an hour on the train but be advised, That Retro Games Shop is only a small unit in the market. (as you are a big WWE fan why not time it with a WWE tour at the arena?)

When I was in York last year I'm sure i remember a stall in the market just off the Shambles selling retro stuff.

Bumping a really old post here but me n her went to Newcastle today (to case the joint as a potential place to live), and I dragged her onto Grainger Market purely on Sleazy's advice, if I wasn't saving up I'd have shelled out 30 for Bishi Bashi Special but ended up getting Lemmings/Oh No More Lemmings for the PS1 for 8!!

Think the wife has fallen in love with Newcastle (sadly as I prefer Manchester), but a Retro Shop and a decent Comics Store, well I'm happy!!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 235
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 10/6/2013 1:16:34 PM   
Sleazy

Glad you liked it, I actually had that copy of Lemmings in my hand on Friday! He's a bit short of stock at the moment.

Have you seen this?

http://www.northeastretrogaming.com/

Theres a retro games/arcades convention in Gateshead in a few weeks. I've got my ticket, should be great!

Post #: 236
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 10/6/2013 7:27:45 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

Glad you liked it, I actually had that copy of Lemmings in my hand on Friday! He's a bit short of stock at the moment.

Have you seen this?

http://www.northeastretrogaming.com/

Theres a retro games/arcades convention in Gateshead in a few weeks. I've got my ticket, should be great!

He popped a card in with my game for that, I'd LOVE to go but we're saving to move somewhere new (pretty certain am gonna end up in Newcastle) so have to give it a miss

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 237
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/6/2013 6:13:01 PM   
ChickMagnet

Simply put I NEEDS a Megadrive now!

A mate at work mentioned that her husband was taking a load of Megadrive games to the charity shop as she didn't think anyone would want them any more. I offered to take them off their hands and they've both refused to accept any cash for them (to quote 'just buy us both a cup of coffee, it'll be fine')

They're sat in my drawer at work as I forgot to take a bag in to carry them home in, there's 9 in total but I can only remember 8 of them, apparently they may not work as they haven't been played in years, they are:

Urban Strike
Skitchin
Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 2
Worms
Super Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition
Kings Bounty
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
and one other

Post #: 238
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/6/2013 7:42:18 PM   
Sleazy

Nice snag. Megadrives are easy to find and the games almost always work.

Grainger market currently has one for 15. Reseller at hexham boot fair does md, 2pads and 4 games for 15

Post #: 239
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/6/2013 8:07:16 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

Nice snag. Megadrives are easy to find and the games almost always work.

Grainger market currently has one for 15. Reseller at hexham boot fair does md, 2pads and 4 games for 15

Hmmmm, interesting, we might be in Newcastle tomorrow too - failing that I think the guys on York market have one as well, I looked up the price of those games on one of the retro sites I go on, for the 8 I listed in total he wanted 110, this included 35 for Mortal Kombat which is the game I had the least interest in.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI