Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 6:25:38 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

is not a bad deal. Depends on games of course.

I know Goldeneye is one of them, which is quite cheap on ebay I've noticed, depending on what time the wife gets home I'll see if we can get the machine going, failing that it'll be refund time!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 121
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 9:26:48 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

what are you using to connect it? My HDTV wont even acknowledge an RF cable.

Have you tried a scart, AV or composite? If you have a Gamecube its the same cable.

You'd think I'd know - but it was late, we'd just got back from a long day in Manchester and the wife was the one doing it. Got a mate at work offering me 10 N64 games and a Megadrive with 5 games, wants 50 for the lot, then if it turns out the N64 I got doesn't work he'll give me his for nowt - am sorely tempted to take him up on it.

Like Sleazy said, have you tried a scart/AV cable? I couldn't get my snes tuned in on my TV with the RF lead, tried it with the GameCube AV cable, worked fine (snes/GC/N64 all use the same cables).

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 122
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 9:39:07 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

Have you tried a scart, AV or composite? If you have a Gamecube its the same cable.

You'd think I'd know - but it was late, we'd just got back from a long day in Manchester and the wife was the one doing it. Got a mate at work offering me 10 N64 games and a Megadrive with 5 games, wants 50 for the lot, then if it turns out the N64 I got doesn't work he'll give me his for nowt - am sorely tempted to take him up on it.

Like Sleazy said, have you tried a scart/AV cable? I couldn't get my snes tuned in on my TV with the RF lead, tried it with the GameCube AV cable, worked fine (snes/GC/N64 all use the same cables).

Not yet, probably doing that tomorrow as I've been struggling to keep my eyes open all night! I did check the t's and c's on the sellers site and if its knacked you need to let him know within 3 days of delivery!! We've e-mailed him today to tell him we might be having issues with it.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 123
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 11:01:33 PM   
juanvasquez

Have hopefully purchased the correct adaptor for my Atari, today. These things are surprisingly hard to come by for a reasonable price, so I really hope this gets things working. With things being as tight as they are, I've decided I'm gonna sell it on, assuming it works of course, and with it being a 'heavy sixer', I should hopefully sell it for a little more than the going rate. Not fooling myself over any prices, but as long as I make money on it, I'll be fine with that.

Will still have to get a joystick for it, thinking about it. Was hoping to pick these up at the weekend, but there was nothing other the games. Was tempted to pick up Spiderman, though!

Post #: 124
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/10/2012 8:09:10 AM   
Sleazy

might be interested in that Juan, I have a couple of bids in for a 2600 at the moment but i fthat doesnt come off then let me know how much you are looking for.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 125
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/10/2012 5:05:20 PM   
tweetypie2005

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not yet, probably doing that tomorrow as I've been struggling to keep my eyes open all night! I did check the t's and c's on the sellers site and if its knacked you need to let him know within 3 days of delivery!! We've e-mailed him today to tell him we might be having issues with it.

I'm ChickMagnets other half. I have tried it on all three av ports on the tv, using both the red,yellow,white cables and then plugging them in to a scart and tried it on both scarts as well. if I unplug the cables when the tv is on, it pops so its definitely recognising it. I've tried auto tuning on all channels and I have no idea what to do! it's a Sony Bravia tv if that helps!

In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, I demand you shoot me now!

Three blind mice walk into a pub. However, they are unaware of their surroundings. So to deprive humour from it would be exploitative.

Post #: 126
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/10/2012 11:54:26 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

might be interested in that Juan, I have a couple of bids in for a 2600 at the moment but i fthat doesnt come off then let me know how much you are looking for.

Will have to see if the ruddy thing works yet. Still waiting on my 2nd attempt at getting the right plug!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 127
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/10/2012 12:38:55 PM   
Sleazy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweetypie2005

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm ChickMagnets other half. I have tried it on all three av ports on the tv, using both the red,yellow,white cables and then plugging them in to a scart and tried it on both scarts as well. if I unplug the cables when the tv is on, it pops so its definitely recognising it. I've tried auto tuning on all channels and I have no idea what to do! it's a Sony Bravia tv if that helps!

cool so theres something of a signal getting through. Have you tried different carts? It could also be dirt or dust on the connecters inside the cart slot. Try giving them a clean with a cotton bud n some windowlene or something (not much mind). If you can get a can of compressed air then even better to blow out any dust.

Other than that I'm outta ideas.

(in reply to tweetypie2005)
Post #: 128
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/10/2012 6:40:01 PM   
Sleazy

Got a bit carried away on an Atari 2600, nice bundle though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290790140339?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 129
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/10/2012 9:27:33 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweetypie2005

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

cool so theres something of a signal getting through. Have you tried different carts? It could also be dirt or dust on the connecters inside the cart slot. Try giving them a clean with a cotton bud n some windowlene or something (not much mind). If you can get a can of compressed air then even better to blow out any dust.

Other than that I'm outta ideas.

It woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorks!!!!!!!!

Tank Ye Sleazy!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 130
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/10/2012 10:51:18 PM   
Sleazy

Awesome!

what was it did the trick?

Post #: 131
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/10/2012 11:12:37 PM   
ChickMagnet

Trying a different cartridge, the one thing I really should have tried. Now need to think of some places to get games, mate at work today said he thinks he has Majoras Mask, weenie excited about that if he has!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 132
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/10/2012 11:51:11 PM   
Sleazy

grab Majoras mask if you can! anything less than 15 is totally worth it, even if just cart.

I was planning to go raid the Hexham boot sale again this Sunday till I realised its Newcastle vs Sunderland at 1.30 so not this week!

Post #: 133
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 18/10/2012 12:23:09 AM   
rich

Majora's Mask needs the old Expansion Pack if you don't have one

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 134
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/10/2012 1:07:34 AM   
juanvasquez

The plug for the Atari works! Hazaa! However it appears the rf unit is broke. Nuts. I checked the cable with my SNES and it worked fine, but I can't get a proper picture with it connected to the Atari. Aggravating!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 135
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 23/10/2012 9:28:55 AM   
Sleazy

any luck?

My atari should arrive this week, when it does I'll test the many Rf cables i have with it, if I have a working spare I'll send you it.

Post #: 136
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 23/10/2012 10:04:53 PM   
juanvasquez

I may have to take you up on that, thanks. The one that came with it is some half arsed cut and shut job that looks like it'd electrocute you.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 137
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 26/10/2012 8:11:51 AM   
Sleazy

finally got my Atari 2600. After inspection its what is called a "light sixer" so the second batch of the first design. Spent ages but just could not tune it in, the 2600 not having a power light doesnt help as theres no way to know if there is any power getting to it.

Eventually i realised that the power adapter the seller had included ( a generic multi one) would also fit other things so I tested it on my snes, blaze and a famiclone I have. This confirmed the adaptor was fooked.

Luckily the adaptor I usually use for the snes has multi attachments so I hooked it up to that and IT LIVES!

Spent a good couple of hours playing a few of the 45 carts the seller included and some have aged very well. Sure the graphics are basic in the extreme but Pac Man was better than I remember, Ms Pac Man is great, Galaxian is still vey good as is Gorf.

Now to Juans problems, how did you attach a snes RF? the original "woody" 2600s have their RF cable hardwired in. As such I couldnt test any of my other RFs.

Post #: 138
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 26/10/2012 2:03:26 PM   
juanvasquez

The RF port is inside the casing. I thought it was hard wired at first. Then I saw the Retro Gamer article on it and showed a pic with the casing off. I'm gonna try it again with the crappy cut and shut cable tonight or over the weekend. It's just a pain in the arse taking the casing off and on all the time!

After months of searching for a reasonably priced VGA adaptor for my dreamcast, I've bit the bullet and admitted that I won't get one for less than 30. Bought an AV lead for 3 instead. That'll do.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 139
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 26/10/2012 2:15:24 PM   
Sleazy

ah yeah after googling it you are right, the rf plugs into the internal modulator.

Sorry I dont want to take apart my new Atari to check rf leads though I'm happy to post you a couple?

Post #: 140
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 26/10/2012 2:32:09 PM   
juanvasquez

If you don't mind. I'll send them back as soon as I've checked them. I'll pm you my address details when I get in from work. After I've tried tuning it again.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 141
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 27/10/2012 10:55:43 PM   
ChickMagnet

So I picked up Need For Speed Underground 2 for the Gamecube in town today, then went to Game and got a Joypad for it, then got home and remembered that the new style Wii's have no joyports - FML

Post #: 142
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 27/10/2012 11:31:49 PM   
juanvasquez

Yeah, they dropped the GameCube support last year with the new slimmer design. Shame. Can you still get a cube for a few quid?

Post #: 143
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 12:12:00 AM   
ChickMagnet

There's one for 17 in the 2nd Hand shop - sending the wife into town tomorrow to pick it up and get my money back for the controller I'd bought

Post #: 144
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 12:40:28 AM   
directorscut

Try a PC emulator?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 145
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 11:29:41 AM   
ChickMagnet

Not on this laptop. The designers put all the fans on the bottom of the casing, meaning they're constantly covered up and my computer cries when I even consider going on Youtube

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 146
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 4:15:20 PM   
Sleazy

my local Cash Converters has a cube in for 12, is there one near you?

Post #: 147
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 4:22:23 PM   
ChickMagnet

Sadly not, and the local second hand dudes are only open Monday-Saturday, Sending the wife in tomorrow instead.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 148
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 8:38:57 PM   
juanvasquez

Was looking for an RPG for the snes on eBay. Ended up with Starwing. Still, should be 2fps of mind blowing graphics and great action.

Would still like a decent RPG, but given that I have a tight budget for such luxuries, I think I'll be waiting a while! Would like a link to the past, but that is still silly money.

Post #: 149
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/10/2012 11:26:55 PM   
Olaf

Probably the best console for RPGs ever. The main problem is that Europe was kind of screwed over by Nintendo in terms of releases - amazing to think that Chrono Trigger and Earthbound (which are fairly comfortably the two best games on the system) never got released here. Shadowrun maybe? (there's a couple of copies on ebay for about 30-35, which is what you'd pay for a new release I suppose.) Terranigma is a pretty great game that falls into the tiny subcategory of games released in Europe but not America. Also - it's not a proper RPG (though it *is* Enix/Quintet) but I've been hooked on Actraiser the last few weeks, and it seems to be fairly cheaply available in my experience.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI