Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/9/2012 11:08:42 AM   
Sleazy

nice, you should dig em out and join in.

Any Master System games you dont want I'd be glad to take off your hands. ;)

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 91
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/9/2012 11:48:23 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Transformers wasn't made to win an Oscar you know.

Edit:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

wow. I had a CPC464 as a kid and have only ever seen a GX4000 in magazines.

gimme gimme.

In other news I just nabbed a Spectrum +2 boxed off Gumtree. Gonna play Dizzy and Chaos on it!

Yeah same here. I pimped the fuck out of mine as well, had the 64k (lol ) memory expansion, multiface 2 and a disc drive. I also had the processor for a 6128 but never got round to putting it in.

I downloaded a shitload of games last night including all the Dizzy games and a load of my old faves like Turrican 1 + 2, Rick Dangerous 2, Puzznic, Twin Worlds and a load more.

I remember completing both Turrican games, without cheating, but last night I was getting absolutely obliterated within minutes. Modern gaming has softened me up it seems.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 92
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/9/2012 1:18:27 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I remember completing both Turrican games, without cheating, but last night I was getting absolutely obliterated within minutes. Modern gaming has softened me up it seems.

I re-played Turrican not so long ago and completed first time through. If I could replace that part of my brain where I can recall where all the 1UPs and power blocks are I might have had storage space for some really useful information that had earned me millions by now. No such luck...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 93
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/9/2012 9:39:02 PM   
Sleazy

been and picked this up, wasnt planning on getting into computers really but I couldnt resist. Many memories of playing on these, loaded it up and it works great.

ignore the mess round it, I'm in the middle of moving home:

and the first thing I loaded up?

Had a quick play of Fantasy World Dizzy, its still great.

< Message edited by Sleazy -- 21/9/2012 9:40:36 PM >

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 94
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 25/9/2012 9:27:32 AM   
Sleazy

i just bought a Blaze Megadrive. Its a teeny MD system with preloaded games. The best thing about it is it takes MD game carts from any region!

It also comes with 2 6 button controllers that work with the original MD (Sega controllers also work on the Blaze).

I have heard mixed reviews on it, usually due to the emulated sound but I picked it up for under a tenner so got to be worth a go.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 95
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 25/9/2012 7:43:21 PM   
Sleazy

couldnt resist getting one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3907526/Trail/searchtext%3ESEGA.htm

you've probably seen these type of things around but this one accepts game roms on an SD card!

Suffers the same sound issues as other Blaze products but the screen is very good! its amazing to see Megadrive games running crystal clear on it.

3 posts in a row? do I win anything?

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 96
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/9/2012 3:22:10 PM   
Sleazy

Ok hows this for retro new...

in the move I found an old Gamecube TDEV kit my dad gave me. Its complete with box but I had no idea if its worth keeping.

I put a post on a Retro site and got a flurry of emails. End result is someone just paid 200 plus postage for it!

I rock.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 97
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/9/2012 3:46:49 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Coincidentally I had a phone call off my old GX4000 owning mate (as discussed previously in this thread) asking if I still had any games for it lying about. He'd just sold his copy of Pang! on ebay for just under 90. As I explained to him though, the only cartridge I had was Burning Rubber which came free with it. All the other games I played I borrowed them off him.

What a bizarrely timed phone call though. I literally hadn't spoken to him in about 2 years and then a week after I start faffing about with an Amstrad emulator he calls me up with regards to Amstrad gaming .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 28/9/2012 4:10:57 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 98
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 30/9/2012 12:04:51 AM   
juanvasquez

Bagged myself an Atari 2600 today. Only drawback is that it doesn't have the power lead, so I don't know if it even works let alone if the games do. It's the wood panel version too. Looks to be in good shape apart from what looks like a cut and shut rf lead. Wish I had a tube tv to try it on. Might have to take it round the mother in laws, give it a go on her tv. When I manage to get a plug that is.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 99
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/10/2012 1:01:11 PM   
goldleader

After reading through this thread i decided i hadn't played any retro games for about 2 years. So dusted off the Wii remote, which also hasn't seen any action for a about a year, and loaded up Super Mario World. As soon as the music kicked in and the bright colored first screen popped up i had a massive grin on my face which lasted for the next 2 hours of game play. They don't make them like they used. I just love that feeling you get when you play an old classic like SMW after not playing it for a few years. What makes it strange is i know the game inside out but never get bored of playing it. I think a bit of Zelda - A Link to the Past is on the cards next.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 100
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/10/2012 1:28:21 PM   
Sleazy

Went to a car boot sale in Hexham on Sunday, theres usually a retro games stall there. I bought an N64 with controller and was able to pick any 4 games for 15!

he was selling various PS1, DC, Megadrive and N64 games for 1.50 a pop. I picked 20 and he sold me them for 25.

A very successful sunday afternoon.

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 101
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/10/2012 1:57:27 PM   
ChickMagnet

So PlayExpo is just over a week away, and there's going to be a retro consoles/games retailer there. I has a question - how much should I realistically be paying? I'd be looking at a Megadrive, Dreamcast and/or Snes but don't want to be fleeced.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 102
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/10/2012 8:33:09 PM   
juanvasquez

Personally, being tight as fuck, I tend to set my own rules. If I don't think a game is worth paying x for, I'll leave it. If I think it's worth paying that extra couple of quid, then I'll go for it. I find exclusives (particularly SNES) tend to go for silly money.

Received the AC adaptor for my VCS. Not sure if it works with it though. As I only had recent TV's, the tuning is very frustrating and not very accurate. I've tried a couple of RF leads and I seem to get more of fuzz from one cable than with the other, which has nothing, basically. Problem is, there's no way of telling if there's any power getting to it. Without being some electronics whizz, anyway.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 103
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/10/2012 8:52:10 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Personally, being tight as fuck, I tend to set my own rules. If I don't think a game is worth paying x for, I'll leave it. If I think it's worth paying that extra couple of quid, then I'll go for it. I find exclusives (particularly SNES) tend to go for silly money.

Received the AC adaptor for my VCS. Not sure if it works with it though. As I only had recent TV's, the tuning is very frustrating and not very accurate. I've tried a couple of RF leads and I seem to get more of fuzz from one cable than with the other, which has nothing, basically. Problem is, there's no way of telling if there's any power getting to it. Without being some electronics whizz, anyway.

Its not so much the games prices I'm worried on, its the consoles, plus Juan - post Expo beers and/or during Expo beers?

Post #: 104
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/10/2012 9:10:43 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

Its not so much the games prices I'm worried on, its the consoles, plus Juan - post Expo beers and/or during Expo beers?

As I'm driving, it'll have to be Kalibur, but either is fine with me.

Anyone else going?

Post #: 105
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/10/2012 10:06:44 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyone else going?

I know tweetypie2005 is, but she's the wife, so she doesn't count! Don't be scared if I drag you to the retro retailer for advice on whether I'm getting a good deal or not!

Post #: 106
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/10/2012 10:12:06 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyone else going?

I know tweetypie2005 is, but she's the wife, so she doesn't count! Don't be scared if I drag you to the retro retailer for advice on whether I'm getting a good deal or not!

I'll be looking to pick up a couple of things myself. Like an Atari VCS that actually works...

Post #: 107
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/10/2012 11:26:58 PM   
juanvasquez

Hmmm... Tried it on a different TV, but still no joy. Think I'm gonna have to invest in a new RF lead, just in case. This is proving more annoying than I'd hoped. Still not sure if I've got any power going to it. It's a universal adaptor, the jack fits like a glove and is set to 9v. Wish I knew someone round here who had the leads so I could test it.

Post #: 108
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 4/10/2012 12:27:10 AM   
juanvasquez

Arse. Turns out the plug I bought was incorrect. It requires a 9v 500ma adaptor. The one I bought is 300ma. The one I need isn't as cheap as I was hoping for. Still. At least I know what's needed now. After some reading, turns out the version I've got is one of the original 'heavy sixers'. The most valuable apparently. Not to bad. If only I could get the flipping thing to work!

Post #: 109
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 4/10/2012 8:08:12 AM   
Sleazy

yeah the Heavy Sixer is the most sought after 2600. Well done for snagging one of those!

Console prices vary wildly due to condition and games bundled but as a very rough guide.

Pay no more than 20/25 for a Megadrive unless its boxed or comes with more than say 5 games.

About the same for a Dreamcast, maybe go as high as 30.

For whatever reason the SNES is much more sought after as are its carts. Expect to pay 30 - 50 for a SNES.

Dont be afraid to nab any of these consoles missing leads if its cheap enough. All the leads are easily and cheaply available. In the case of the SNES its a standard 9v power and the AV is the same as N64 and Gamecube.

Wish I was going.

Post #: 110
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 10/10/2012 10:25:24 AM   
Sleazy

so I have unwittingly stumpled on a solution for those of use wanting to play GC or N64 on HDTV.

If you try to connect with normal composite cables you get an over bright washed out picture which is almost unplayable.

GC does have a component cable for early GC with a digital out port but these are very rare and extremely expensive.

I bought an S-video cable off ebay hoping it would help. I connected it up and turned on the correct channel (my TV calls it EXT 4S) and whilst it cleared the brightness problem it gave a gritty picture.

I happened to switch to the side AV ports where the S-video is (EXT 4) and you get the usual poor picture until you plug in the Svideo too, when it clears perfectly!

I dont understand why it happens as the S-video plug shouldnt even display on anything but EXT 4S but it does and perfectly.

This has been a public service broadcast.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 111
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 10/10/2012 11:01:08 AM   
Chief

Next post: How Retro Consoles Fucked My TV!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 112
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 11/10/2012 1:03:32 PM   
Karl Crutchley

Talking retro games, I have just finished Metroid 2 The Return of Samus on my GameBoy Color.
Took me over 9 hours (total) to complete
And It was ruddy hard.
It was only when I was trying and failing to kill the Queen Metroid for the umpteenth time that I realised I had never picked up the Varia Suit as an upgrade!
Gah! Would have saved me loads of grief, and time!

Very good game though
Prior to that I had done Metroid Zero Mission (original Metoid remake) on GB Advance.
Would love to See Metroid 2 redone with those style graphics

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 113
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 13/10/2012 8:54:19 PM   
ChickMagnet

So dude selling retro consoles at PlayExpo be asking way too much! Looked at a Megadrive - 65 with no games, snes was 80 and a dreamcast? 100! He also wanted 60 for an n64 copy of super smash bros! Did manage to get a Pokemon n64 for 35 and super mario 64 and wipeout 64, kinda nervous after seeing other people's issues with the console on a HDTV!

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 114
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 13/10/2012 9:03:19 PM   
juanvasquez

That seller was a right swizz. I was astounded at their console prices. Even the unboxed stuff was extortionate. I came away empty handed. I wish there were more stores there.

Post #: 115
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/10/2012 8:44:11 AM   
Sleazy

thats crazy prices there!

check out my post earlier about n64 on HDTV, seems an S Video cable is the way to go - about 3 off ebay.

Super Smash Bros is one of the dearer carts but the Retro Games Store in Newcastle sells it for 25 ( i was there yesterday).

Post #: 116
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/10/2012 11:03:01 PM   
ChickMagnet

Well thats us home from Manchester and lo and behold, we ain't even getting the shitty picture - nothing at all. Plus I get the feeling that the guy we bought it from is going to be a right bastard when it comes to a refund if it turns out to be knacked.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 117
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 12:19:54 PM   
Sleazy

what are you using to connect it? My HDTV wont even acknowledge an RF cable.

Have you tried a scart, AV or composite? If you have a Gamecube its the same cable.

Post #: 118
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 1:41:14 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

what are you using to connect it? My HDTV wont even acknowledge an RF cable.

Have you tried a scart, AV or composite? If you have a Gamecube its the same cable.

You'd think I'd know - but it was late, we'd just got back from a long day in Manchester and the wife was the one doing it. Got a mate at work offering me 10 N64 games and a Megadrive with 5 games, wants 50 for the lot, then if it turns out the N64 I got doesn't work he'll give me his for nowt - am sorely tempted to take him up on it.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 119
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/10/2012 1:52:58 PM   
Sleazy

is not a bad deal. Depends on games of course.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI