Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/8/2012 2:08:51 PM   
juanvasquez

I'll have to see if my tv is compatible. I think it supports it, but it'll just be my look I buy one now, and find it doesn't have the right connection. Anything has gotta be better than the standard RF unit though!

Not sure what I'd pay for a mega cd. The cheaper the better! I'm far too tight to be in this game!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 61
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 29/8/2012 1:50:08 PM   
Sleazy

went to look at a new house yesterday, in the basement there was a boxed speccy! and gonna see if I can nab it.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 62
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 30/8/2012 9:16:42 PM   
From_Hell

You chaps might find this of interest, if you haven't already seen it...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/30/gamestop-planning-vintage-game-sales

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 63
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 30/8/2012 10:34:34 PM   
ChickMagnet

So for the next 6 weeks (which includes my Birthday on a Saturday), I'm spending fuck all. This is because I've blagged myself a trip to PlayExpo in Manchester, and got the missus to agree to come with.

The one main reason I'm going? Re-play - retro consoles and pinball machines, all of them free to play, totes excite-balls!

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 64
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 1/9/2012 5:35:38 PM   
juanvasquez

I was well excited for play expo. Went to replay in Sheffield and it was awesome. But my sisters decided to have her 30th party the same weekend. Sigh.

Picked up Metroid Prime 2 and Starfox Adventures for 50p each today at a car boot sale. Was pretty chuffed with that as I've been wanting to play Metroid for a while. Never played them, despite owning a GC since launch.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 65
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 1/9/2012 8:27:08 PM   
ChickMagnet

Damn it Juan! I may end up with spare tickets and you was who I had in mind to give em away to!!! Tell your sister to stop aging!!

Post #: 66
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 1/9/2012 9:17:01 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Picked up Metroid Prime 2 and Starfox Adventures for 50p each today at a car boot sale. Was pretty chuffed with that as I've been wanting to play Metroid for a while. Never played them, despite owning a GC since launch.

Shame, the first Prime is far superior. I want to get the trilogy for Wii as they have given them proper widescreen settings.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 67
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/9/2012 11:00:12 AM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Damn it Juan! I may end up with spare tickets and you was who I had in mind to give em away to!!! Tell your sister to stop aging!!

We'll see what happens...

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Shame, the first Prime is far superior. I want to get the trilogy for Wii as they have given them proper widescreen settings.

I'd much prefer the Wii Trilogy myself, but 50p for the game isn't to be sniffed at!

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 68
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/9/2012 2:50:05 PM   
Sleazy

Just got a canny little bargain off Gumtree: boxed Master System with light gun and 29 games for 30!

very nice indeed.

Post #: 69
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 4/9/2012 11:40:35 PM   
juanvasquez

<-- Jealous face.

Got Waverace Blue Storm for 99p off ebay yesterday. Decided I'm gonna concentrate on getting what GC exclusive titles I can. Some already go for upwards of 30, such as Twin Snakes, Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem, and the Windwaker Limited Ed isn't far off that price, either.

Glad I got Starfox Adventures at the weekend. Enjoying it, as it's basically a Zelda clone. I remember owning it when it was first released, but remember absolutely nothing from it apart from that dinosaur that follows you around.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 70
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/9/2012 3:28:22 PM   
Sleazy

yeah i still have Starfox Adventures, I never finished it though, I think I was up to some bit where it was timed and I couldnt do it.

We are moving house in 3 weeks and the new place has a basement which I have been given permission from the missus to turn into a mancave. I have bought those retro consoles i mentioned and dug out the old gamecube and dreamcast. I have also bought AV cables so everything runs through a HDTV.

Got a couple of big chairs n a beer fridge and am ready to build the dream.....

Post #: 71
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/9/2012 9:27:28 PM   
juanvasquez

Bastard

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 72
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/9/2012 10:37:53 AM   
Sleazy

quick question -

I bought 2 Mega-CD games off a seller on ebay, they only cost 1.20 and 2.20 but the postage is 3 each. Now I have requested a total with combined shipping and messaged him to ask for this but have had no response.

He doesnt state that he offers combined shipping so i may have to just bite the bullet and pay him the 6 postage but if they arrive in the same parcel at a postage cost much lower than 6 do you think I should reflect this in any feedback. After all fleecing on postage is against ebay regs. I also dont buy into the "it also reflects my time to take to post office" arguement.

I always charge correct postage and cost of packaging, I have seen me take hits on postage as I usually quote low and I partial refund if I ever over quote.

I know its only a few quid but its annoying he hasnt even responded.

edit.... he has sent a revised invoice with combined postage, still poor communication but I'll pos feedback when the games arrive.

< Message edited by Sleazy -- 10/9/2012 11:39:26 AM >

Post #: 73
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 13/9/2012 10:18:51 AM   
Sleazy

another update from me (is anyone else out there reading this?)

Lad at work just gave me... a Snes, 15 games and carry case as well as Crazy taxi and House of the Dead 2 (with gun) for Dreamcast.

Loving this retro malarky.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 74
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/9/2012 9:18:31 AM   
Sleazy

Been unable to play the snes so far. it needs an AV cable and I cant find my Gamecube one. Really annoying as I also cant find my brown GC dev either (hope I didnt throw it out).

Theres a retro games shop in Newcastle so I stopped there last night to grab a controller as I didnt get one - they didnt have any!! I have ordered a cheapo one off ebay till I can get another. Anyone here got any spare?

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 75
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/9/2012 8:29:03 PM   
juanvasquez

Oh, I check this thread often. But the more you acquire, the more I dislike you! You can get an AV lead for a pittance off eBay. Tis where I got mine.

Acquired Waverace Bluestorm and 1080 Avalanche this week. Safe to say that their N64 predecessors are much better. Not bad for 99p each though.

Found a massive car boot sale near me last week but didn't have time to go last week. Gonna see if it's there this Sunday.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 76
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/9/2012 2:06:59 PM   
Sleazy

I quite liked Waverace Bluestorm.

Ordered an AV off ebay for about 2, arrived next day! works perfect. Just awaiting a replacement controller now.

Had a mooch into a local charity shop today and picked up Mega Games 3(Alien Storm, Thunderblade & Super Monaco GP) for Megadrive for 95p. When I got home I opened it to realise the cart is actually Rock n Roll Racing, ah well decent little game.

Post #: 77
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 8:06:04 AM   
Sleazy

One of my mates gave me a PS1 the other day after gearing of my retro exploits. For whatever reason the PS1 doesnt excite me much, a bit too familiar I guess (and also that my PS3 is backwards compatible), still it was nice of him and it included a few games such as Time Crisis and the Medievil games.

I tried connecting up my Gamecube to my HDTV and the picture was shocking, very washed out and way too bright. A quick google told me this is true of all them (odd that a reasonablely recent system cannot cope with a modern TV) but if I have an early GC then it will have a port on the back for Component cable. My GC is indeed old enough to have that but the cost of the cables are ridiculous, seem to be around 70! Looks like the cheapest way to play GC games on an HDTV is to buy a Wii!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 78
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 1:50:11 PM   
juanvasquez

I play my GC games through the wii. Much tidier. Looks pretty decent through the component cable.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 79
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 2:02:35 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Spent a good few hours last night playing old Amstrad GX4000 games on an emulator. Playing Burning Rubber, Pang, World of Sports, Switchblade and Robocop 2 again was an absolute blast. I didn't remember that Robocop 2 was absolute nails though, it took me about 15 attempts to get beyond the first screen. I still think now, as I did then, that the GX4000 was graphically superior to the NES and Master System. It's just a shame for Amstrad that they released it as the Megadrive and SNES were hitting Europe.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 80
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 2:28:11 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Spent a good few hours last night playing old Amstrad GX4000 games on an emulator. Playing Burning Rubber, Pang, World of Sports, Switchblade and Robocop 2 again was an absolute blast. I didn't remember that Robocop 2 was absolute nails though, it took me about 15 attempts to get beyond the first screen. I still think now, as I did then, that the GX4000 was graphically superior to the NES and Master System. It's just a shame for Amstrad that they released it as the Megadrive and SNES were hitting Europe.

A what?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 81
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 2:59:47 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

A what?

Amstrad's ill fated entry into the console market. I didn't own one myself but a friend did and my sister had an Amstrad CPC464+ which was a standard CPC464 with the GX4000 built in. It was a decent little system, just released about 3 years too late. In the end I think there was only about 25 games released for it.

You could have Googled it you know .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 82
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 3:41:49 PM   
Chief

Google wouldn't have furnished me with your exciting anecdote about your sister's hardware.
FAP,FAP,FAP!

Post #: 83
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 3:47:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Google wouldn't have furnished me with your exciting anecdote about your sister's hardware.
FAP,FAP,FAP!

Fapping over an 11 year old, I fucking knew it.

I always had you pegged as a paediatrican.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 84
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 3:56:26 PM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

FAP,FAP,FAP!

Fapping over an 11 year old, I fucking knew it.

I always had you pegged as a paediatrican.

I really don't know where to go with this conversation anymore. I'ma just leave it now.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 85
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 4:25:35 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah that's a good idea. That went from mildly amusing (your comment) to way too far (my comment) much quicker than I anticipated.

Anyway, top 5 Pixar anyone?

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/9/2012 4:26:20 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 86
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/9/2012 4:48:14 PM   
Chief

Transformers wasn't made to win an Oscar you know.

Edit:

< Message edited by Chief -- 19/9/2012 4:53:50 PM >

Post #: 87
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/9/2012 8:36:56 AM   
Sleazy

wow. I had a CPC464 as a kid and have only ever seen a GX4000 in magazines.

gimme gimme.

In other news I just nabbed a Spectrum +2 boxed off Gumtree. Gonna play Dizzy and Chaos on it!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 88
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/9/2012 9:11:46 AM   
Chief

I fucking loved Dizzy games.

Post #: 89
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/9/2012 10:07:15 AM   
crimond

I also had a CPC464 - I actually still do, it's up in my parent's loft with lots of games. The Dizzy games were ace. I read recently that they are doing HD remakes for the ipad etc.

Also in the loft is my:

Master System - with built in 'Alex the Kid in Miracle World' and a ton of other games.

Amiga 1200 - with about a hundred games, lots of point and click adventure games.

PS1 - with a few games left.

All this talk is making me want to climb the loft and start playing them again.

When I was younger my friend had an Amstrad Mega PC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_Mega_PC a PC and Sega Megadrive combined. I remember thinking it was the greatest thing I had ever seen.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI