Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:26:57 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

My Snes arrived this week. Been great revisiting some old faves. It came free with Street Fighter 2, Super Mario World and Jurassic Park! (The later being really hard. What the hell are you meant to do?!) Gonna try and pick up a few more games next week. I was surprised it was full wide screen on the flat screen TV we have. I'd assumed either it wouldn't work with that TV or it'd have those borders.

JP is solid. Though I much preferred the Master System version myself! Keep meaning to pick up Mario World. No rush as I've got it on my Wii, but it'll be nice to have it on the proper system. Zelda is ridiculously priced but still want that too. I picked up Zool after fond memories on the Amiga. Jebus that is a tough one, and Mickey Mania is bastard hard. Still haven't beaten the castle levels I think. Or the stage afterwards. Either way, they make today's games seem like a walk in the park.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 31
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:31:09 PM   
The REAL Bozz

If you wanna see a game that's horribly priced try and nab yourself a copy of Super Metroid! OMG - people are chargeing a LOT for that one.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 32
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:55:52 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

I've been rocking my CD32 for the last few weeks. I can only find three discs tho, I'm sure I have loads more in my mums house.

2 are classics one is not.

Chaos Engine! Me and my best friend used to play that loads. I don't think we ever got past level 4 or 5, but we loved it all the same!

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 33
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:58:41 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Played some Mario 64 earlier. Father time has not been kind. To the controls anyway. But then I did put it on after playing Mario Land 3D. Although I think the level design was rather poor in both. In terms of longevity I mean.

Really?? I spent hours on it last summer. The flying sections are pretty awful but the level designs still held up for me (maybe not as well as something like SMB3, but that was a refinement of the 2D Mario rather than completely new so it's understandably more polished).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 34
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 8:10:16 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Played some Mario 64 earlier. Father time has not been kind. To the controls anyway. But then I did put it on after playing Mario Land 3D. Although I think the level design was rather poor in both. In terms of longevity I mean.

Really?? I spent hours on it last summer. The flying sections are pretty awful but the level designs still held up for me (maybe not as well as something like SMB3, but that was a refinement of the 2D Mario rather than completely new so it's understandably more polished).

Don't get me wrong, it's still great, but you just feel like you're steering Mario rather than controlling him. If that makes any sense! The level designs are good. They just seem short compared a lot of other platformers.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 35
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 8:10:22 PM   
directorscut

2D Mario >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3D Mario.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 36
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 8:23:12 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't get me wrong, it's still great, but you just feel like you're steering Mario rather than controlling him. If that makes any sense! The level designs are good. They just seem short compared a lot of other platformers.

I'd actually agree with that tbh - the movement controls are definitely a lot tighter on the next few games (previous few as well I suppose, even if it is just left/right/up ). The levels probably are shorter, but it feels like more of them than before so I would be inclined to let that one slide.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

2D Mario >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3D Mario.

I would probably agree based on the fact that two of my top three are in 2D (1. SMB3, 2. SMG, 3. SMW). I still haven't played Galaxy 2 though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 37
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 8:36:24 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I would probably agree based on the fact that two of my top three are in 2D (1. SMB3, 2. SMG, 3. SMW). I still haven't played Galaxy 2 though.

Super Mario World is probably my favourite game after FFVII, so I'm inclined to agree. I'm yet to play Galaxy 2 as well, but saying that, the first one never 'wowed' me like it seemed to have everyone else that played it. I must say I prefer Sunshine to Galaxy. Although I do feel like sticking it on now. For now I think I'm just gonna play a bit more Mario 64.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 38
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 9:12:17 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

Chaos Engine! Me and my best friend used to play that loads. I don't think we ever got past level 4 or 5, but we loved it all the same!

I used to proper love it too, it's pretty much the only reason I ripped my house apart trying to find the CD32 , turns out I was right, it's brilliant, and proper hard too.

With regards to Mario. 2D all the way. Super Mario Land on the first Gameboy is beyond belief genius.

Post #: 39
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 11:59:51 PM   
bub

I like to break the SNES out every so often just to play Super Punch Out

Super Macho Man was always a Bastard to beat!

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 40
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/5/2012 7:24:11 PM   
The REAL Bozz

^ I meant to pick up the Wii version!

I'm currently playing Samurai Shodown Anthology on the Wii. These games are fantastic. No wonder they have a serious rep in the hardcore gamers fandom for being classics. Especially the first two games. Solid but very, very good.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 41
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/5/2012 7:41:40 PM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 42
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/5/2012 8:18:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

I still have a working one of these-

I don't play it any more because the joystick is fuckered and I can't be arsed with all that playing with keys shite.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 43
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/5/2012 8:51:08 PM   
kata

Got memories of that having proper realistic graphics.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 44
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 8/5/2012 11:50:35 AM   
Sleazy

Was sat playing the Master System version of Choplifter at the weekend - top game but tough!

Its odd to see games like that on a 40" screen, I dont know if its making them look worse but I dont remember them being quite as blurry.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 45
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 8/5/2012 4:26:42 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

I've finally gotten the SCUMMvm thing for PC working, recently finished Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, Space Quest 1+2+3, and am currently running through Day of The Tentacle. Loving these old adventures so much that they stopped me buying The Witcher 2.

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 46
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 8/5/2012 4:42:50 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAYDAK1SS

I've finally gotten the SCUMMvm thing for PC working, recently finished Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, Space Quest 1+2+3, and am currently running through Day of The Tentacle. Loving these old adventures so much that they stopped me buying The Witcher 2.

Get The Dig.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 47
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/5/2012 9:42:40 AM   
Y2Neildotcom

I'm currently enjoing playing through some SNES classics on my phone.

Mario is by far the greatest game ever.

Are there any football manager games on retro devices like SNES or SEGA?

I have a N64 in my loft, love playing Goldeneye every six months or so. Great game.

I'm going through a bit of a retro hit at the moment, if anyone can help point me in the direction of some ScummVM roms that'd be great, I have the Monkey Islands, Indy and The Dig but want more!

I also want to try and get Leisure Suit Larry working on my phone...any ideas?

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 48
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/5/2012 12:40:43 PM   
Olaf

Beneath A Steel Sky ftw.

Currently playing through Mega Man II at the moment. Rage-inducing difficulty, awesome soundtrack.

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 49
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/5/2012 12:43:40 PM   
st3veebee

I saw a load of retro games showed up on Steam for around 2.50Euro each. Stuff like Golden Axe 3 etc.

With time to waste before Diablo come outs...I may just go for it.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 50
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/5/2012 2:28:40 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Y2Neildotcom

I'm currently enjoing playing through some SNES classics on my phone.

Mario is by far the greatest game ever.

Are there any football manager games on retro devices like SNES or SEGA?

I have a N64 in my loft, love playing Goldeneye every six months or so. Great game.

I'm going through a bit of a retro hit at the moment, if anyone can help point me in the direction of some ScummVM roms that'd be great, I have the Monkey Islands, Indy and The Dig but want more!

I also want to try and get Leisure Suit Larry working on my phone...any ideas?

Im going to pick up the Dig and Indy myself, I recommend the Space Quest games,you will die alot so keep plenty of save slots, and both Maniac Mansion games just for good puzzles

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 51
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/5/2012 9:26:21 AM   
juanvasquez

Managed to bag a cheap copy of Mario World for the SNES.

Safe to it's got a fair bit of wear out of it since. I wish I was as good at anything as I am Super Mario World.

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 52
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/5/2012 12:34:52 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I don't play it any more because the joystick is fuckered and I can't be arsed with all that playing with keys shite.

You fucking sicken me. Keys for the hardcore, joysticks for wankers.

OK I may be a bit harsh there, you cunt

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 53
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 11/6/2012 9:50:44 PM   
juanvasquez

This months Retro Gamer makes me want to buy an Atari 2600! Wife won't let me buy any more old consoles. "We need a wardrobe and chest of draws". Well, the wardrobe door may be in a state of disrepair, and the chest of drawers is what is technically known as fucked, but the Atari looks fun!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 54
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/6/2012 12:58:54 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

You fucking sicken me. Keys for the hardcore, joysticks for wankers.

OK I may be a bit harsh there, you cunt

Yeah.....please don't call me a cunt. Cheers. Or a wanker, actually. It's not nice.

You cock-waxing fuckstick

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 55
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/6/2012 9:20:29 PM   
juanvasquez

Check this shit, motherfuckers!

All for the princely sum of nowt. My friend gave it to me!

Post #: 56
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 22/8/2012 9:26:21 AM   
Sleazy

Ok, this emulation game is ok but I just jumped into the retro scene properly...

turns out a mate had a couple of old consoles so I made him an offer on them and nabbed... a nes, a megadrive with mega cd(!!) and a bunch of games.

nice!

Post #: 57
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 27/8/2012 11:07:33 AM   
Sleazy

my mate finally dropped those consoles off yesterday. Have had to dig out an old style portable telly to get them running.

They are in very good condition, even all the NES games still have their cardboard boxes and are undamaged.

A few notable games so far include NES versions of New Zealand Story and Gauntlet 2, theres even a couple of games I didnt realise made it to the NES like Manic Mansion and Elite!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 58
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 27/8/2012 9:12:06 PM   
juanvasquez

Quite envious there! Would love to get a Mega CD to go along with the Megadrive, but they go for extortionate prices. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to take in a few car boot sales and see if there's anything cheap I can find. I follow a few collectors on Twitter, and every weekend they're posting pics of some awesome stuff that they've picked up for a pittance in comparison to what they go for on ebay.

Trying to get a reasonably priced VGA connector for my Dreamcast too. Yet to find one!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 59
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 28/8/2012 9:17:12 AM   
Sleazy

I've noticed that the Mega-cd 2 seems to sell for less. This is the first one though.

Theres a carboot sale in Hexham that always has loadsa retro games n consoles, how much were you wanting to spend? I'll keep an eye out. Next up I want a 32X - I used to have one years ago, theres a few decent games on it and I might as well have the full set up.

I bought an S-video lead for my dreamcast and it works great (if its a HDTV you are planning to use).

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI