Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/4/2014 7:16:35 PM   
Sotto Voce

Still trying to get a decent hook up for Dreamcast. I got a scart cable and a scart to component converter, started up SF3 double impact, looks pretty good, select a game.........'not support'.
It only works on the main title screen and the game select screen.

Think I'll try vga box and vga to component converter.

Anyone heard of this Hanzo thing? Its a VGA box that adds scanlines. Anyone tried it?

Recently finished Monster World IV from PSN. Its a mega drive game, nice little platformer with rpg elements. Give it a go.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 301
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/4/2014 8:47:39 PM   
juanvasquez

I think there's an issue with SFA3 not liking anything other than RF/AV input. There's a few DC games like that, but I believe they are in the minority.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 302
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 25/4/2014 9:14:57 AM   
Sleazy

I always found S-video to be a great connection for DC. I was playing SFA3 recently but that was through scart.

Have seen scanline converters, they look good. Was kicking myself for not buying one for 30 the other day when I had the chance.

Picked up a few PS1 games this week, nothing special. Also got a 60gb PS3. Have swapped the HDD out for a 750Gb and can now play all my ps2 games without hooking up my old console or worrying about memory cards.

Got another couple of arcade PCBs too:

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 303
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/5/2014 6:10:00 PM   
juanvasquez

Bought a Sega Saturn today! Picked it up from Play Blackpool with Sega Worldwide Soccer, FIFA 96 and Sega Rally.

I've wanted one for ages now and it was one of the better deals there today so went for it.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 304
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2014 11:13:34 PM   
juanvasquez

After picking up the Saturn, a friend informs me he's got several games I can buy off him, must be at least 25 in the list, although a couple aren't boxed. Agreed 50 for all of it, which does include a few titles which would fetch at least 10-15 quid each online etc. Looks like I won't be getting Mario Kart 8 this month!

Post #: 305
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/5/2014 8:36:34 AM   
Sleazy

Nice one, I've played a bit of Saturn recently, picked up Marvel Super Heroes, Xmen COTA and Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Theres been a surge in Saturn prices this last year, I got a console, wheel and couple of games for about 12 a year ago on eBay.

I bought Samurai Spirit 2 on Neo Geo 64 this week and am buying a couple of Snes carts off a guy today for a fiver each - SWIV and Batman Returns.

Post #: 306
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 22/5/2014 11:26:57 PM   
juanvasquez

Here's all my boxed Saturn games. All but Sega Rally, SWWS 97 and FIFA 96 were picked up this week. Also have a few loose discs with loadsa demos (including disc 1 of Panzer Dragoon Saga) also unboxed copies of Alien Trilogy, Loaded, WipeOut and Nights into Dreams.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 307
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 23/5/2014 6:24:27 PM   
juanvasquez

I found Thunderhawk 2 for the Saturn in a charity shop today. There was a few others including demos but I had most of them and the only a couple of quid on me. Maybe next time.

I have a duplicate Sega Rally for the Saturn up for swap, but the teeth in the box are broken, otherwise it's in good condition with manual. Any interest just let me know.

Post #: 308
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 23/5/2014 6:29:19 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

Theres been a surge in Saturn prices this last year, I got a console, wheel and couple of games for about 12 a year ago on eBay.

I've noticed. I kept putting it off but the prices just kept going up. Luckily I found mine for cheaper than the norm. Most of the games I've been looking at seem reasonably priced, considering how popular retro collecting has become recently, but for stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Deep Fear, I may have to resort to more timber shivering methods to play. Ridiculous prices. I thought snes RPG's were out of hand!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 309
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 18/6/2014 4:38:03 PM   
jinks

Was delighted to have picked up an original Xbox console the other week as ive not managed to spot too many around here in Waterford. All boxed with S-pad with 30. Happy days. Games wise, i still had a few leftover from my 360 days but ive bagged several more over the last coupla weeks:

Streetfighter Anniversary Collection
Morrowind Game of the Year Edition
GTA 3 and Vice City double pack
GTA San Andreas
Doom 3 Collectors Edition
Aggressive Inline
Thief Deadly Shadows
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Fable The Lost Chapters

Mortal Kombat Deception
Constantine
Midtown Madness 3
Midnight Club 3
MOH: Frontline
Alien Hominid
Showdown: Legends of Wrestling
Transworld Surf
Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf

I'm really rather please ive got one again, my previous one blew up on me whilst playing LOTR: The 3rd Age about 8-9 years back

Post #: 310
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 18/6/2014 6:33:25 PM   
juanvasquez

Coincidentally I picked up an Xbox at the weekend. Fiver from a Car boot. Cleaned up pretty good and came with the a pad, but the disc tray needs a bit of encouragement when being used. No games but I have the Battlefront demo on my Star Wars box set bonus disc which I tested it with and seems to run fine. Hopefully I'll coax my brother into giving me some of his games.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 311
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/6/2014 4:32:19 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Coincidentally I picked up an Xbox at the weekend. Fiver from a Car boot. Cleaned up pretty good and came with the a pad, but the disc tray needs a bit of encouragement when being used. No games but I have the Battlefront demo on my Star Wars box set bonus disc which I tested it with and seems to run fine. Hopefully I'll coax my brother into giving me some of his games.

CEX usually have original Xbox games going for less than a quid in the UK. I know on my next trip back home i'll be going crazy there. Just need to get the DVD remote now as the PS2 is a bit picky and choosy with what DVDs it wants to play sadly.

VERY tempted to pick up Dead Or Alive Ultimate when im over too

Post #: 312
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/6/2014 8:32:20 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

CEX usually have original Xbox games going for less than a quid in the UK. I know on my next trip back home i'll be going crazy there. Just need to get the DVD remote now as the PS2 is a bit picky and choosy with what DVDs it wants to play sadly.

Charity shops are another good place to pick up original Xbox games for cheap prices....

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 313
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 21/6/2014 12:08:41 AM   
juanvasquez

I'll be checking CEX at the weekend I reckon. I've had a look in a few charity shops on my lunch break, but they're all football games!
I think I remember seeing Republic Commando in CEX. May have to get that if it's still there.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 314
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 22/6/2014 1:23:57 PM   
juanvasquez

Picked up Halo and Jade Empire for 2.50 altogether in CEX. Can't complain.

Post #: 315
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 24/6/2014 8:55:11 AM   
Sleazy

I picked up a couple of original xboxs last year from a car boot for 8 for the pair. One of them has been chipped and has an external led switch to turn it on and off. Great for playing Mame.

Cash converters are good for xbox games, picked up quite a few recently.

Otherwise pickings have been slim, have pretty much given up on car-boots at the mo.

Got Sf2, Super Probotector, Williams Arcade Hits, Evander Holyfield, & Dragon on SNES this week which was nice.

Been busy building this, I think I'm gonna change the colour though:

Post #: 316
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 27/6/2014 4:44:17 PM   
jinks

Jade Empire and Republic Commando will hopefully be my next purchases on Xbox.
Was happy to find a demo of RC on Knights of the Old Republic 2 - its bloody nails still!
The local CEX here does have a copy of the pretty decent XIII for a 1.50 - happy days! Been a while since ive played that one.

May also pick up Van Helsing - which was actually a very competant DMC clone...well it was better than the film anyways  

Although on a slightly sadder note, my X-Men Children of the Atom PS1 game does NOT like being played on a ps3 - unless you're happy to be playing in in 'Strobe - o - vision' (tm) But had a crack on Bust-A-Groove the other day - still awesome, despite quite random whether or not in accepts your pad inputs, anyone remember playing the demo?

< Message edited by jinks -- 27/6/2014 5:10:18 PM >

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 317
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/7/2014 9:32:48 AM   
Sleazy

Been searhcing for one of these for years, finally have it (just a pity it doesnt work with Chromehounds)

Steel Battalion

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 318
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 4/7/2014 7:28:40 PM   
jinks

quote:

Been searhcing for one of these for years, finally have it (just a pity it doesnt work with Chromehounds)

Steel Battalion

Where's the wind screen wiper button?

Seriously though, that controller for just the one game is an absolute beast! Never had the oppurtunity to play Steel Battalion though. I can imagine the game with the controller goes for a pretty penny these days.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 319
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/7/2014 11:45:48 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

Did you get a DVD remote? If not I've got an official one that I won't ever use.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 320
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 7/7/2014 9:24:45 AM   
Sleazy

actually there is a screen wash button! Mental

I was at NERG on Saturday and there was a boxed copy of Steel Battalion for 60 - was tempting to get another and host a link up game.

Picked up a few goodies, got a SNES, Master System and Gamecube for a fiver each cos they had no leads - got them home and they work fine.

Also picked up and Amiga 600 and a copy of Metal Slug 4 for Neo Geo. Played some great arcades whilst there too like R-Type, Thunder Blade, Star Wars, AfterBurner, Hang on, Power Drift, Outrun, Pacman, & Gauntlet.

Post #: 321
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 7/7/2014 5:39:45 PM   
juanvasquez

I've seen nowt but hype for NERG over the last few weeks. Would like to have gone but it's a bit much of a trek for me. I've just seen that Replay are holding an event at the custard factory in brum this September though. That'll do me.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 322
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/7/2014 10:11:19 AM   
Sleazy

is literally a 10 min walk from my flat so alls good. Maybe next year Juan?

Post #: 323
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/7/2014 11:29:07 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I'm looking at purchasing a reconditioned Amiga, and wondered if you can use the the emulator ROMS to re-create actual bootable disks?

Anyone have a clue?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 324
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 13/7/2014 3:25:33 AM   
juanvasquez

quote:

is literally a 10 min walk from my flat so alls good. Maybe next year Juan?

I'm considering it. Still weighing up wether to do Manchester this year. Been to the last 2.

Went a car booting again. Picked up a few bits for 10. What I can remember off the top of my head follows:

Slim PS2 with memory card and GTA 3/San Andreas

Magical Tetris (N64)

Duke Nukem 3D, AlienTrilogy, Tekken 2 (with point blank demo), Street Fighter Ex 2, Tomb Raider Revelations, Crash Team Racing and V-rally (all PS1).

I think that's it... Not bad for 10 wing wangs, I have to say.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 325
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/7/2014 8:33:41 AM   
Sleazy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

I'm looking at purchasing a reconditioned Amiga, and wondered if you can use the the emulator ROMS to re-create actual bootable disks?

Anyone have a clue?

I just got an A600 and when I fired it up its been modded to include a HDD and loadsa games!

Anyway to try and answer your question, not very easily it isnt, PC cannot write Amiga disks as far as I've been able to see, annoyingly Atari ST can be written on a PC no problem.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 326
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/7/2014 4:05:58 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Anyone have a clue?

I just got an A600 and when I fired it up its been modded to include a HDD and loadsa games!

Anyway to try and answer your question, not very easily it isnt, PC cannot write Amiga disks as far as I've been able to see, annoyingly Atari ST can be written on a PC no problem.

Ooohh where did you purchase it from?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 327
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/7/2014 8:25:14 AM   
Sleazy

bought it off a fella on Facebook, he had no idea it had been modded. It also included the RAM upgrade to 2megs so quite the bargain for 30 delivered.

Post #: 328
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/7/2014 2:39:44 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Anyone have a clue?

I dug out and have been playing around with my old A1200 recently. I can't do much with it until I get an adapter so I can use a PC mouse but at least it still works.

As Sleazy said you can't make bootable Amiga disks easily on a PC. This is because the Amiga used double density floppy disks (rather than the standard high density ones used on PCs) and a proprietary file system.

The good news is that if you get an A600 or A1200 (I'm not sure about the other types) you can easily install an old laptop drive, or a even use a CompactFlash card as a hard drive by using a cheap ATA adapter. Better still you can format and configure the drive using WinUAE on your PC so it boots to Workbench, install all the games you can get your hands on to it, and have it work when you put it in your Amiga. There are loads of tutorials on how to do this out there if you Google it. I'm going to try and get mine running over the weekend if the bits I ordered arrive.

There are sites where pretty much the whole Amiga library is available for download, if you are into that sort of thing.

Post #: 329
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/7/2014 2:40:49 PM   
jinks

Recent Xbox acquisitions:

Halo 2
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
Mercenaries

Happy days.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI