Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 24/11/2013 5:20:25 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Ugh. My Dreamcast keeps resetting itself. Not sure if it's over heating or owt. It's aggravating.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-reset.htm

Assuming that is the cause of your problem it is an easy fix.

Got round to giving this a go today. I think it's done the trick, but the only way to be sure is if it happened again! Took the opportunity to get rid of some of the dust and that built up inside, too.

Finally got round to trying some of the above mentioned games I've been given. Most of the dodgy ones don't work, including Shenmue, gosh darn it, but I still have cannon spike and bust a move 4! And street fighter alpha 3. Some of the legit games I've been given don't work either, including MSR and v rally 2, which is a tad disappointing considering the irritating as fuck jimmy whites 2 does.

I also have a couple of duplicates that I'm yet to test, including Sonic Adventure and Jet Set Radio (not boxed), which if they work I'd be willing to trade if anyone wants them.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 271
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 24/11/2013 9:38:17 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez
. Had a quick go on Driver the other day, couldn't even do the first stage. Damn reverse 180's.

Oh thats a c*nt to do, still have trouble doing the 'training mission' all these years later

On a recent trip back home to the UK, managed to find in the loft at home:

Xmen Children of the Atom
Bust a Groove (yup, the dance em up!!)
And a load of others.

Also managed to get Dino Crisis 2 as well for a fiver in a 2nd hand games shop in Maidenhead, gutted i didnt nab Star Wars Dark Forces as well.

We've got a new CEX open in Town now, been grabbing PS2 games galore:
Stuntman
Mace Griffin
King Kong
Crisis Zone
Xmen Next Dimension (even at a is shite)

Sadly on my latest visit, Suffering 2 Ties that bind and Shadow of Rome had been sold! Bugger

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 272
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 26/11/2013 8:36:47 AM   
Sleazy

Xmen Next Dimension really is shite isnt it?

I thought it would be like the Mutant Academy games on PS1 but I turned it off midway through the first fight!

Been playing a lot of PS2 recently, Working to beat Tekken Tag 10 times so I can unlock bowling again. Started playing Ghost Hunter which seems very good. Was enjoying the Sega Classics Remakes of Space Harrier and Outrun yesterday too.

If anyone like bullet hell shooters then I really recommend Steel Dragon EX. Bought it for 1.50 in CEX and keep putting it back on to try and top my score.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 273
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/12/2013 2:43:09 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

Xmen Next Dimension really is shite isnt it?

I thought it would be like the Mutant Academy games on PS1 but I turned it off midway through the first fight!

Been playing a lot of PS2 recently, Working to beat Tekken Tag 10 times so I can unlock bowling again. Started playing Ghost Hunter which seems very good. Was enjoying the Sega Classics Remakes of Space Harrier and Outrun yesterday too.

Oh Next Dimension is truly bollocks. Just awful. Mutant Academy 2 would be the highlight of the series IMO.

GhostHunter is excellent, may try pick it up again at the weekend (pretty cool 'cameo' later in the game. I remember on a PS2 demo disc with a mag it included a mini documentary about haunted locations tying into the game which was pretty smart, something similar was done with The Suffering too about haunted prisons), local Cash Converters store has it for the princely sum of of 4. along with the brilliant Psi ops!!

However, retro wise at the weekend picked up Wipeout Fusion (def my fave in the series - still carries the best tracks, especially the 'off road' sections) and Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (had it on PS1 and the lighting effects and ambient sounds are actually pretty good all these years later).

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 274
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/12/2013 3:48:06 PM   
Sleazy

Wipeout Fusion is excellent.

At a carboot sale yesterday, I picked up an original Xbox for a fiver as mine is playing up, a bit further one I saw someone selling 2 of them for 3 each! I noticed one had been modded so nabbed that. Got them home and both work great, gonna use the modded one though as it has custom dash and the mods can be activated via a switch set on the side.

Also got a PSone with LCD screen and Dark Forces,a bunch of PS2/Xbox games and a few Saturn games (Fighters Megamix, Die hard Trilogy, Virtua Cop 2)

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 275
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/12/2013 5:30:49 PM   
juanvasquez

I remember when I got my PS2, it came with a demo of Ghost Hunter. It was rather impressive, but I never played the full game.

So does this new generation now render the 128 bit era 'retro'?

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 276
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/12/2013 8:20:39 AM   
Sleazy

Depends on your stance but yeah, I view anything 2 generations ago as retro. Oddly people seem to have viewed the Dreamcast and to a lesser extent the Gamecube as retro for a while.

Post #: 277
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 3/12/2013 12:21:47 PM   
juanvasquez

Probably due to the fact they fizzled out quite quickly in comparison to other consoles of the time. And DC is not quite as powerful.

Those dodgy discs I mentioned on the previous page miraculously worked last night. Finally got acquainted with Shenmue, after a few rounds of Street Fighter Alpha 3.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 278
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 14/12/2013 12:56:31 PM   
juanvasquez

I picked up some PS1 games from a charity shop in town today. I got Resident...

Evil.

G-police weapons of justice and Vagrant Story. The latter I already have as a PSOne classic on the PS3, but couldn't turn it down.

Post #: 279
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 15/12/2013 7:57:49 AM   
juanvasquez

Just remembered that I need another memory card or two for my PS1. I've got one, but have more games than blocks. But then again, I probably play the games more on my PS3. Still another nice transparent pink one wouldn't go amiss.

Post #: 280
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/12/2013 2:04:55 PM   
jinks

Picked up Shadow of Rome at the weekend - Gladatorial battles are still excellent. Stealth sections, not so. Still for 5 i cant complain, top game though. Was VERY tempted to pick up the Street Fighter Alpha Collection on PS2 along with SF 2 Hyper Fighting, but wouldve been a tad pointless since owning the superior version on the original Xbox.

Did manage to find my boxed copy of Jaws Unleashed as well as Shadow of the Collusus complete with the original postcards in a bed side locker. And finally got Ghosthunter, Timesplitters Future Perfect and Canis Canem Edit for 12squid too.

Happy days!

Post #: 281
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/12/2013 1:43:27 PM   
juanvasquez

I've been playing Final Fantasy VIII again recently. I always get in the mood for it this time of year. I'm up to the bit where you have to fight Edea at the end of disc 2. I need to get Cerberus first though but it keeps whipping my arse. Gonna have to grind. Luckily most of the enemies are high in xp so shouldn't take me long. Still dislike the weapon upgrade system on this game though.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 282
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/1/2014 10:04:01 AM   
Sleazy

Anyone get any retro goodness for crimbo?

My gf bought me an arcade bar table! cab came with Dig Dug installed but I have swapped that out for a 60 in 1 board with Pacman, Space Invaders, Frogger etc.

Just before Xmas I bought myself a nice single player upright cabinet too, it had a NeoGeo mobo inside with a 161-in-1 cart which I have switched to a 2 player cab and have put Robocop in it instead.

Last night I ordered some PS2 games off CEX, mainly some of the King of Fighters series

Post #: 283
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/1/2014 10:59:09 AM   
juanvasquez

Wow! I wouldn't have room for any of that! You'll have enough to open your own arcade soon!

I didn't get any retro games for Xmas, although I did get a lovely FFVII t shirt!

Apart from charity shop finds my collecting is gonna take a back seat while I save up for a Wii u. Saying that, I'm watching a vectrex on eBay that's local pick up and no one has bidded yet...

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 284
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/1/2014 11:05:45 AM   
Sleazy

I've watched a few Vectrexs too, still dont have one.

Yeah I almost could, currently have 6 upright machines and the 1 table (plus loadsa PCBs/NeoGeo carts).

Have been thinking about a Wii U myself, seems to be finally getting some good games. Its really just a price drop away from me biting.

Post #: 285
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 2/1/2014 4:20:20 PM   
juanvasquez

How much does a Vectrex tend to go for? Never really bothered before, but as it's local, someone alerted me to it, so I thought I'd keep an eye on it and hopefully get a bargain.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 286
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/1/2014 11:00:07 AM   
Sleazy

varies a lot but Vectrex collectors are pretty hardcore about things.

A bog standard machine is maybe 60 - 100 depending on condition, more if boxed and more if it has the Minestorm overlay.

Games can be pricey for it too.

Post #: 287
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/1/2014 1:28:40 PM   
juanvasquez

I was having a look at the games. I think I'll be alright without one for the time being. Can't see the wife being best pleased if I started getting into those!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 288
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 7/1/2014 9:34:32 AM   
Sleazy

been offered this lot for 50. I know very little about C64 but its tempting:

Post #: 289
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 7/1/2014 2:18:04 PM   
jinks

quote:

Shift and Run-Stop!!!

C64 was my first ever 'games system' way back in the day where a week's pocket money could net you a 2.99 budget game. The 9.99 ones i could only get with Birthday money, but they came in nice cardboard cases.

Then there was the waiting game, multicoloured flashing bars as a picture of the game or character formed in the middle of the screen (Rambo 2 i recall had this) - then after waiting 20 mins, the load fails! Ahhh happy days.

Is that a Daley Thompson's Decathlon i see there along with Batman and Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja?!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 290
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 7/1/2014 2:18:46 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

Shift and Run-Stop!!!

C64 was my first ever 'games system' way back in the day where a week's pocket money could net you a 2.99 budget game. The 9.99 ones i could only generally bought with Birthday money, but they came in nice cardboard cases.

Then there was the waiting game, multicoloured flashing bars as a picture of the game or character formed in the middle of the screen (Rambo 2 i recall had this) - then after waiting 20 mins, the load fails! Ahhh happy days.

Is that a Daley Thompson's Decathlon i see there along with Batman and Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja?!

The Quatro series from Codemasters gave excellent value for money with 4 games on the one tape, had a good few of them - included the likes of Dizzy, BMX Simulator, Super Robin Hood, Powerboat Simulator to name a few of them. They were generally grouped together genre wise.

< Message edited by jinks -- 7/1/2014 2:23:36 PM >

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 291
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 7/1/2014 5:35:58 PM   
Naked_Assassin

C64 was my first ever computer, and I still have it, to my knowledge it still works but I'd be hard pressed to connect it to anything these days! Happy memories of coding an animation of a footballer, probably from the manual. Also the game loading times were insane, I remember sticking rampage in the cassette reader, having to type play and letting it do it's stuff, and having time to go have a bath and stuff and it might be loaded by the time you get back!

Some memorable games were rampage as states earlier, robocop 2 I think, there was an F1 simulater game, and a circus skills game that I played to death. Good times, but then I got a sega and never looked back...

Dropping your pants on stage DOES NOT deploy star power

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I practically creamed myself

Member of the 100% on Infinity Ward Call of Duty games...

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 292
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 8/1/2014 12:57:35 PM   
Sleazy

whilst I think on I got some stuff yesterday (I usually forget to update this thread).

Went to Cash Converters and they had PSP games for 2 each so I got Ghost Recon 2, Breath of Fire 2, Burnout Legends, Tenchu and Prince of Persia Revelations. (I also got all 3 Uncharteds for 4 each).

Got home and I had a parcel waiting contain Neo Geo MVS carts of World Heroes, World Heroes 2, Aero Fighters 2 and 3 Count Bout.

Good times

(in reply to Naked_Assassin)
Post #: 293
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 12/1/2014 2:41:48 PM   
juanvasquez

So it turns out that the unreleased Toe Jam and Earl III on the Dreamcast has now been made available to the public. I've had a go and found it a lot of fun, It's basically a 3D remake of the first one. Looks really good. Still got the same funky early 90's hip hop beats.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 294
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 13/1/2014 9:01:39 PM   
juanvasquez

I had another crack at Shenmue, last night after forgetting about it for the last few weeks. Getting into it now, starting to see what all fuss is about now. It's the homosexual undertones, right? "Hey mister, wanna wrestle?" and "I'm looking for some sailors", spring to mind. The voice acting is brilliant, and should definitely earn 'Master of unlocking' on the Barry Burton scale of voice talent. Half of the characters sound like they're on the piss. It's fantastic.

Gameplay wise, I've got in to a few rucks with some camp looking customers, and although I'm usually a fan of QTE, I'm finding this one tolerable. And I'm loving playing Super Hang On, in the arcade. That music takes me back.

Post #: 295
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/1/2014 9:07:22 AM   
Sleazy

Got a few nice games this week. Mainly fighters.

Got King of Fighters 98 on Megadrive ?!?! - its a hacked homebrew thingy but it works ok.

Also got Golden Axe 2 on Megadrive and Renegade on Master System, both great games. I managed to also get TMNT: Tournement Fighters on Snes and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on Dreamcast.

Finally I got King of Fighters 25 and 99 on Neo Geo. Trying to get them all.

Post #: 296
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 16/2/2014 8:38:51 PM   
juanvasquez

My mate gave me Majoras Masks on N64 for my birthday.

Proper made up with that! Just need an expansion pak!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 297
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 17/2/2014 1:55:51 PM   
juanvasquez

Got Cool Boarders 3 today. Probably my all time favourite snowboarding game.

Yet to play one that has rivalled it. SSX Tricky, came close but not quite as good.

Post #: 298
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 4/3/2014 1:46:42 PM   
jinks

Picked up the other week: Star Fox Assault in CEX for 12  on the Gamecube.

Quite happy with that

Post #: 299
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 9/4/2014 2:16:48 PM   
jinks

And...also picked up with remaining CEX credit:

Mario Kart Double Dash
Capcom vs SNK 2

And on the ps2 end of things:
R-Type Final
Tenchu Wrath of Heaven
Tenchu Fatal Shadows
007 From Russia With Love
Goldeneye Rogue Agent (yeah i know its a bit wank, but its just for completion's sake)

ANDDDDDDD a few months ago...
Apocalypse on PS1 (that forgotten Bruce Willis PS1 'classic') which is still really quite playable albeit a tad repetitive.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI