Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lets play RETRO!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Lets play RETRO!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 11:39:02 AM   
borstal

As I still have a Gamecube knocking around Ive decided to pick up REmake again and run through it. I know Juan Bastard Vasquez has recently got a SNES so I figured a thread where we talk about the retro games we are curently playing would be cool.

On a related note I do have a N64 knocking around which needs an RF lead if anyone would want it? (if you pay the postage!). So there, Im going to revisit one of my most loved game experiences and shoddy controls aside I expect it to be just as scary. Ive forgotten exactly where that first crimson head pops up

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 1
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 11:52:44 AM   
rich

Dont have an actual 64 these days, but plenty of games via Wii that I have collected are still great. Gamecube isnt retro though, come on

Meanwhile...

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 2
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 12:03:13 PM   
borstal

Its a dead console, as you cant buy new games for it in a store anymore I'd define it as retro. The generation that superceded it is coming to the end of its life. Its retro enough

Good point though, when does a console become retro to you then?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 3
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 12:21:44 PM   
juanvasquez

How much do you want for postage? I'll take it off your hands!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 4
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 12:33:12 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Uh I dont know, it just still seems recent to me the same as PS2. 2002 wasnt that long ago.... >_>

Everything else from the N64, original Playstation, 16-bit era and even older just... feels different.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 5
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 12:34:01 PM   
juanvasquez

I started playing REmake the other day. GC controller has not aged well but the game itself still holds up greatly. Some top graphics and scary as hell. Bloody crimson heads!

My snes came with Populous, Theme Park, Super Slapshot, NBA One on One and Summer Games 96. The first 3 are decent but I'm in it for the platformers and RPGs. I've since ordered Mickey Mania, Spiderman & xmen, Zool and the wife ordered me Sensible Soccer, which I freaking love! I ordered Zool and spiderman off eBay, for only a couple of quid each, where all other copies were going for twice as much. I bidded on both thinking I wouldn't win either and ended up winning both.

Wouldn't mind getting a mega drive, but only because I want to play castle of illusion again!

< Message edited by juanvasquez -- 19/2/2012 1:34:34 PM >

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 6
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 12:38:07 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

Uh I dont know, it just still seems recent to me the same as PS2. 2002 wasnt that long ago.... >_>

Everything else from the N64, original Playstation, 16-bit era and even older just... feels different.

I would consider anything older than 10 years, 'retro', but then again, isn't it just a term to describe obsolete games/consoles?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 7
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 7:08:20 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Whatever the postage rate is, I think cheapest for the weight will be about 6. I'll check tomorrow at the Post Office. It just needs a standard RF lead.

Back in Borstal the big retro collector days I had the discussion about what is retro many times. Im happy with my definition. Defining it by time doesnt always work. As I said the Wii is near the end of its life so the GC is retro for me.

Post #: 8
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 7:43:10 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

Whatever the postage rate is, I think cheapest for the weight will be about 6. I'll check tomorrow at the Post Office. It just needs a standard RF lead.

It's the same connection as the snes and GC AV cable so I'll just use that. But yeah, I'll relieve you of that burden. PM me for how you want paying etc.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 9
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 7:46:31 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

I agree in that I don't really think of the Gamecube as retro - the fact that it was probably at least as powerful as the Wii (happy to be put right here?) makes it seem a bit less 'old school' perhaps.

I find the 'retro' definition hard to pin down really. I know it's different for us all but for me personally, it's probably N64 and earlier. Even sayignthat, I don't think of the Playstation being as retro as the N64, even though they're of the same era. Odd, I am

I've still got my SNES, which I dig out every now and then. I should probably pick up some old games for it, as being quite young when I had it, I didn't have the money really to buy that many games for it, so there are tons of classics I never played. I also keep meaning to pick up a Game Boy, as mine (original grey one) doesn't work properly any more. I still have games for it and sometimes yearn to play them again!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 10
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 7:52:47 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm thinking of picking up a super game boy. In no rush at the moment though. Apart from a few great gb titles, there's not much I can think of I'd want. Plus, I'm gonna concentrate on building my snes catalogue for now. There's loads of top games I never played. I saw street fighter alpha 2 on eBay. I never even knew that was on the snes! I'll get it one day, but it's going rate seems to be about 30 at the minute and I could get quite a few other games with that much.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 11
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 8:28:19 PM   
Olaf

I have my SNES around somewhere but one of the cables has gone missing, so I'm using emulators at the moment (EarthBound ftw). Picked up an N64 from a car boot sale a few years ago and a mate of mine had a pile of old games for it in the back of his wardrobe, so I have a nice little collection of games for it. Trying to find a cheap PAL copy of Majora's Mask is a ballache though. 

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 12
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 8:44:11 PM   
borstal

Got REmake for a pound on ebay

It genuinely upsets me that I never got photos of my collection. It was ridiculous the amount of stuff I had. Even now Ive got some odd bits and pieces lying around (two Atari 2600 6 button wood consoles!). I remember looking at all the games and consoles and thinking I'd need a few lifetimes to play it all.

I basically used two sources to create it. Carboots and picking up games at work (Game) that I knew I could sell for a good profit (ie Ico). Carboots were sometimes brilliant, picking up games you knew would sell for 20+ for a quid or less, then with the money I made on ebay I'd buy the really rare stuff. Finding Castlevania Vampires Kiss for the SNES for pence was a joy and the rarest thing was a blank snes cart with a switch on which turned out to be a reviewers copy of the great Goemon game Legend of the Mystical Ninja I ended up selling to a buyer in America for around 70. Not bad to say it cost me 10p.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 8:46:44 PM   
borstal

quote:

Wouldn't mind getting a mega drive, but only because I want to play castle of illusion again!

I'll remind you of the post in Joypad around 4 years ago when I said I was binning about 20 of the consoles

Post #: 14
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 8:50:27 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm always hearing about people picking up these old games for mere pence at car boots/charity shops, but there's never any at those places around here!

I can't remember how much I paid for REmake. 6 from CEX I think.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 15
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 19/2/2012 8:52:25 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

I'll remind you of the post in Joypad around 4 years ago when I said I was binning about 20 of the consoles

Aye, but that was 4 years ago, people change, man! And I still think you should have made a fort with them!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 16
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/2/2012 12:13:52 PM   
borstal

Im sure they are all gone but I'll have a check for you.

Post #: 17
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/2/2012 6:07:32 PM   
juanvasquez

OK, thanks!

Sensible Soccer arrived today so I'll be tearing up Europe with my awesome XI.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 18
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/2/2012 6:15:00 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

Has anyone here watched AVGN on youtube? He has some great videos on retro games, which for me don't include the likes of

n64 games, but definitely the snes and genesis. I still have fond memories of my snes days, i have tried emulators for my ds but

cant get the games I want like Secret Of Mana or Zelda Link To The Past to work properly.

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 19
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/2/2012 6:16:38 PM   
juanvasquez

Angry Video Game Nerd? His Batman special had me in stitches!

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 20
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 20/2/2012 6:42:58 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

That's him, I love when he reviews games that I played and reminds me how fucking shitty some of them were. His Top Gun video

comes to mind....

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

Post #: 21
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/3/2012 8:57:13 PM   
borstal

My copy of REmake arrived a few days ago but I need the house to be dark and empty for me to play it. Also just remembered that N64 Juanbastard

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 22
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/3/2012 8:59:55 PM   
juanvasquez

Itchy. Tasty.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 23
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/3/2012 10:35:39 AM   
Sleazy

I still have my original xbox purely to play retro emulators (does emulation count).

Got quite a few running on my tablet too.

I had a bit of a retro thing last year with XBLA downloads, Golden Axe is still great, Altered Beast less so.

Actual consoles I still dig out the Dreamcast on occasion.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 24
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/3/2012 10:38:26 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

You want retro? Got this for Christmas...

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 25
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 6/3/2012 11:07:23 AM   
Chief

That looks pretty sweet. I never had the oak effect one, I had the wedge shaped one with the silver strip.

I bloody loved Joust.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 26
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 6:52:48 PM   
The REAL Bozz

My Snes arrived this week. Been great revisiting some old faves. It came free with Street Fighter 2, Super Mario World and Jurassic Park! (The later being really hard. What the hell are you meant to do?!) Gonna try and pick up a few more games next week. I was surprised it was full wide screen on the flat screen TV we have. I'd assumed either it wouldn't work with that TV or it'd have those borders.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 5/5/2012 6:53:38 PM >

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 27
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:13:42 PM   
juanvasquez

Played some Mario 64 earlier. Father time has not been kind. To the controls anyway. But then I did put it on after playing Mario Land 3D. Although I think the level design was rather poor in both. In terms of longevity I mean.

If I have time, think I might have a crack on Mario Sunshine tomorrow. Probably my favourite 3D Mario game.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 28
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:15:31 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Has anyone ever played a OLD Snes game called Weaponlord? Made by Namco.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 29
RE: Lets play RETRO!!! - 5/5/2012 7:25:59 PM   
Lucky Day

I've been rocking my CD32 for the last few weeks. I can only find three discs tho, I'm sure I have loads more in my mums house.

2 are classics one is not.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Lets play RETRO!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI