Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 22/2/2012 5:34:35 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Just 3 scenes that spring to mind at the moment,I most likely will add more soon.

Blad Runner: Intro scene.
I've always been fascinated and amazed by the intro to Blade Runner.
The beautifull Vangellis Soundtrack representing an over-populated Los Angeles of 2019 and the flames that burst in the misty,merky bleak black sky.Brilliant.

Alien:
Now this isnt the scene people will expect,though that special scene also holds a strong place in my twisted heart (chest-burster scene).
The scene which stands out for me most in Alien is one of the few times you see the Xenomorph in action.
The scene culminates in the deaths of Parker and Lambert.Once the Alien has dispatched Parker with a blow to the head, the Xenomorph does this slow daunting movement with its arms out like some form of Alien murderous ritaul and then silently kills Lambert with the tail to her back,from what we gather anyway.As with the whole Alien film,the fear is much more in the mind of the viewer than what is placed on the big screen.
The Alien movement in question lasts for about 2 seconds,but with the violant music placed as the scenes score,the murderous reality strikes the weakening Lambert.
The scene (Parker and Lambert's death.Alien 1979) is in the link below clocked at 1:20 to 1:22.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRXrPl-OoA

Jaws: The Death of Quint (Robert Shaw)
This is the first ever scene where I literally wished I never saw as a 8 year old kid.
Dont get me the wrong the film as a whols was a scarefest but this one scene made me feel sick.
The frantic kicking of Shaw's legs as he desperatly tries to monuvour himself from the sharks jaws was disturbing,what comes next was a thing of nightmares.
Even watching it now gives me the creeps...'shudders...wheres the sick buckett?'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzv-c6d_Zzs

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 22/2/2012 5:36:56 PM >

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 61
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 23/2/2012 10:50:18 AM   
Discodez

The line up and interrogations in The Usual Suspects....

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 62
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 23/2/2012 5:16:09 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Just 3 scenes that spring to mind at the moment,I most likely will add more soon.

Blad Runner: Intro scene.
I've always been fascinated and amazed by the intro to Blade Runner.
The beautifull Vangellis Soundtrack representing an over-populated Los Angeles of 2019 and the flames that burst in the misty,merky bleak black sky.Brilliant.

Alien:
Now this isnt the scene people will expect,though that special scene also holds a strong place in my twisted heart (chest-burster scene).
The scene which stands out for me most in Alien is one of the few times you see the Xenomorph in action.
The scene culminates in the deaths of Parker and Lambert.Once the Alien has dispatched Parker with a blow to the head, the Xenomorph does this slow daunting movement with its arms out like some form of Alien murderous ritaul and then silently kills Lambert with the tail to her back,from what we gather anyway.As with the whole Alien film,the fear is much more in the mind of the viewer than what is placed on the big screen.
The Alien movement in question lasts for about 2 seconds,but with the violant music placed as the scenes score,the murderous reality strikes the weakening Lambert.
The scene (Parker and Lambert's death.Alien 1979) is in the link below clocked at 1:20 to 1:22.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRXrPl-OoA

This is the first ever scene where I literally wished I never saw as a 8 year old kid.
Dont get me the wrong the film as a whols was a scarefest but this one scene made me feel sick.
The frantic kicking of Shaw's legs as he desperatly tries to monuvour himself from the sharks jaws was disturbing,what comes next was a thing of nightmares.
Even watching it now gives me the creeps...'shudders...wheres the sick buckett?'.

I had the same experience as a kid, that scene messed me up.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 63
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 23/2/2012 7:42:59 PM   
boaby

Once Upon A Time In The West

Where to begin... The beginning. Brilliant.

Home from the shoot, wildlife huds its wheesht... Henry Fonda's a baddy? Wtf?

Jill arrives, great homage in BttF 3.

Ach, phuck it. All of it. Every scene.

If I had to pick a fave it'd be the final shoot out. Or the train arriving into the newly constructed station. Or the death of Cheyenne. Or Jill on the bed from above. This isn't really working.

I know. Jill in the bath. Definitely Jill in the bath.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 64
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 27/2/2012 2:01:22 PM   
Sutty

Shoot me down in flames if you like...

But I am a fan of the Harry Potter movies (all of them) and one of my favourite scenes is when Harry buys his wand from Ollivanders in The Philosophers Stone, particularly John Hurts delivery of his little speech about wands choosing their owners and that Voldemoort did "Terrible things, yes... But great!"

His delivery and facial expressions are nigh on perfect. I just find that one little bit endlessly watchable. Brilliant! 

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 65
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 27/2/2012 3:32:21 PM   
itsmandylee101

Hi! Here's mine:

-Snape's death scene, with his last words said to Harry
- The Hour's "We're not dead!"
- The Usual Suspects ending (sorry can't describe it, too much of a spoiler) was twisted, that's why I love it!

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 66
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 28/2/2012 8:14:17 AM   
Sutty

From the movie Seven

Mills: "Have you ever seen anything like this?"

Somerset: "No..."

Real. Understated. Awesome.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 67
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 28/2/2012 2:27:19 PM   
shool

Only the Penitent man will pass. The whole 3 trials from Indy Last Crusade

Like Gimli, the entire Mines of Moria sequence

LV426

The Flacon being chased into the Asteroid field

Dancing

Montage in UP!

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 68
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 16/4/2012 12:48:08 AM   
mightybeansprout

So many, but a few that come to mind

Flying Snow and Broken Sword in the white scene on the Cliff in hero. It's a great piece of their story, but also the way the scene is shot looks fantastic

The Bourne Supremacy Bourne on the rooftop through sniper scope "I need someone I know to bring me in." "Who?" " There was a girl in Paris, part of the programme, she used to handle logistics. Alexander Strasse, 30 minutes, under the world clock. Send her alone, give her your phone." "What if I can't find her?" "It's easy, she's standing right next to you...."

< Message edited by mightybeansprout -- 16/4/2012 5:10:42 PM >

Xbox Live Gamertag: Smartian rt

You see Doughal, these cows are small, those cows are far away. Small, far away.........

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 69
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 12:31:44 AM   
Judge

Delighted to see so much love for Dead Man's Shoes in this thread. Has been in my top 3 for years. Couple more from that one, spoilets obviously follow.
YOU YA CUNT in the pub. And the reveal of what really happened, absolutely heartbreaking.

From L.A. Confidential, WHERE. IS. THE. GIRL?! Crowe is on fire in that scene.

I'm quietly judging you. And Julianne Moore questioning the drug store clerks decency. Magnolia.

The train robbery in The Assassination of Jesse James. Excellent.

The blood test in The Thing.

The hotel flirting in Out Of Sight. Seriously cool writing.

More when I remember.

(in reply to mightybeansprout)
Post #: 70
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 12:49:53 PM   
calhoon

Favourite scene has to be Good WIll Hunting "it's not your fault.......it's not your fault" gets me every damn time, and also the montage of the relationship in UP, heartbreaking stuff.

Ditto on all of the Dead Man Shoes love too....simply one of the best british horror films of recent times.

"I could kiss you all over the face right now"

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 71
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 1:35:55 PM   
jpotts

Opening credits to Fight Club. what a way to drop you into the film... "People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durden."
Detective Mills becoming wrath.
"Put your teeth on the kerb... Now say goodnight!" (shudder every time)
Star destroyer chasing blockade runner
Matrix lobby scene
The intro to The Departed playing 20 or so minutes into the film with that fantastic music

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 72
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 2:43:36 PM   
Lucky Day

As with everyone else, I have loads. Some have been mentioned already, but you know, I like them too.

Opening montage in up would (if forced to choose) be my favourite ever. It is stunning, as I am sure most folks on here would agree.

360 degree shoot out with the Hatians in Bad Boys 2.

Opening night club scene in Blade.

Sicilians scene in True Romance.

Golf course scene in Falling Down

Ballroom dance in Beauty & The Beast

Stand off in restraunt in Pulp Fiction

Lick my love pump in Spinal Tap

Rock n Roll (lost back stage) in Spinal Tap

Walk off in Zoolander

Sailing to freedom in The Truman Show

Russian Roulette in The Deer Hunter

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius....Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife" in Gladiator

"This is Sparta" in 300

I have loads more, but I am meant to be working.

(in reply to jpotts)
Post #: 73
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 3:00:17 PM   
Lucky Day

Oh yeah, and the Incinerator scene in Toy Story 3. A staggeringly dark scene for Pixar. An acceptance of death ? Incredible.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 74
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 5:40:56 PM   
Leonard or Sammy

Glad to see all the love for Dead Mans Shoes, told my cousin about it and although he found it a bit a slow for his tastes, he remarked how much it stuck with him. It is one of favourite films of all time, criminally under-rated in its own country.

I, too, love the stand-off scene between Paddy Considine and Gary Stretch. Also **************SPOILER************** "YOU SHOT AL YOU TWAT"

I will never forget the shock/enjoyment I got from the original Omen when -**********SPOILERS***********David Warner meets his end......imagined him getting crushed/run over but never that

Superman 2 , when C.K. gets beaten up in the cafe, not sure why but I always found that quite an emotive scene - even above all the other great scenes - really don't know why that stands out

Tell No One - The beginning scene (and the music used) sets up the entire movie

Mystic River - Sean Penn *******SPOILERS******** finding his daughter is dead and having to be restrained

Day of the Jackal - the water melon scene

Unforgiven - "You just killed an unarmed man"...... "he should have armed himself when he decorated his bar with my friend"

Affliction - the mothers funeral/wake James Coburn does not pull any punches in that movie

Good Will Hunting - I am with Hood_man and others on that one - "your move chief"

The Shining - The first bar scene

Oldboy - the corridor fight scene (the music again playing an important role)

The beginning of Back To The Future

Manhunter - where they decipher the message in Tattler, Will Graham is told and then it cuts to his home and son tells his mum "there is someone on the roof", also the scene the where Crawford takes COMPLETE control in his office during a three way convo, after a note was found in Lecktor's cell, just a brief scene but it is so well paced, scripted and ,of course, acted.

Most scenes created by Hitchcock

I guess I could ramble on for ages, but I will stop there. There are SSSSSOOOO many to choose from. Might come back with some more another time

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 75
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 29/5/2012 6:06:33 PM   
jpotts

Yes Lucky Day. Absolutely agree with Up. I just happened to walk into my son's room while he was watching the dvd at the exact point that the montage began - I was hooked by it and had to sit down and watch the rest of the film: true storytelling right there.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 76
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 30/5/2012 7:39:30 PM   
donethinking

One flew over the cuckoos nest The chief just voted, now i wanted that television set turned on RIGHT NOW!!!

then procedes to watch an imaginary a baseball game, fantastic!!.... McMurphy 1 - Ratched 0

(in reply to jpotts)
Post #: 77
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 30/5/2012 7:41:32 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Speaking of Dead Man's Shoes: I recommended it to my friend who couldn't get past a certain scene. D'ont get me wrong: it is a shocking scene to watch but I have NEVER heard him complain about any other moment in any other film! He has a degree in film studies and has seen everything from Cannibal Holocaust to Legend of the Overfiend and nothing has shocked him till this. Just goes to show the power of this film.

I'd have said the blowjob scene was worse..

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 78
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 30/5/2012 9:15:43 PM   
Coyleone

Wow, a lot to choose from but here goes...

Someone said it on the first page, the 'Wise Up' scene in Magnolia was just astounding. The fact that they were able to pull off something like that speaks volumes. Really the entire last half of that film could make it on to my list. Frank confronting Earle in his bed, the frogs, that final scene especially, they were all just incredibly powerful in different ways. I adore that film.

Several scenes from Godfather part II come to mind, 'IN MY HOME...IN MY BEDROOM...' and the kiss of death scenes are amazing, but the one that lingers in the memory is that final shot of Michael staying at the dinner table while the rest of them go to greet Vito as he arrives home.

The scene in Drive when there's that shot of The Driver walking up to the window in slow motion with THAT MASK on! Damn, sent shivers down my spine all three times I've seen it. The scene in the motel as well, when he sees the shadow of the car drive past and realizes they've been followed. The resulting mayhem is incredible and so well done.

The final scenes of Good Will Hunting, especially as Chuckie realizes Will has left, that look of at confusion, then fear and then happiness from Affleck is amazing. Also 'That son of a bitch, he stole my line' <3.

Toy Story 3, when Andy says good bye to his toys. I was in no way prepared for the emotional onslaught of the last few scenes in that movie.

Apocalypse Now, Ride Of The Valkyries. Shoot me, gives me goosebumps every time.

The Millennium Falcon being chased in to the asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back . Just amazingly thrilling and awe inspiring no matter how many times I see it.

Bruce Willis chooses his weapon in Pulp Fiction, always funny when he looks at the sword , also the scene in the restaurant at the end, Jackson's delivery is just perfect and that dialogue is just so good.

Ride of the Rohirrim in LOTR: Return Of The King, legit almost cried the first time I saw that out of pure awesomeness.

The one shot tracking scene following Henry and Karen in to the restaurant in Goodfellas. It's just masterful, as we get to see in to Karen's first glimpse in to Henry's world, and we feel the same way she does. Amazing.

There's probably loads more I'm forgetting, but I'll come back once I've remembered more.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 79
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 30/5/2012 10:57:34 PM   
the_driver

for shear spectacle- Avengers Assemble= the one shot action sequence is very impressive
For Drama my favourite would be the scene in which Roy Batty confronts Tyrell
the opening scene of Drive to 'tick of the clock' by the Chromatics
Any scene in Serenity, one preferably with Wash in it

'I don't carry a gun. I drive' -Drive
'I aim to misbehave' Serenity
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else' Fight Club

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 80
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 30/5/2012 11:29:27 PM   
Marcusbadger

John Wayne kicking the door in, in Brannigan then saying "knock knock"

(in reply to the_driver)
Post #: 81
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 3/6/2012 11:32:06 PM   
alex1995

The killing of Kurtz in Apocalypse Now (or every scene it but that one clinched it)

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 82
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 4/6/2012 12:48:44 AM   
RobotDevil

quote:

I love the bell tolling in that scene. Interesting that Hemingway wrote 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and also 'The Old Man and The Sea', a story about trying to land a huge fish. But that may be reading too much into it.

It is one of the most disturbing on-screen deaths (certainly in that classification). The noise that Quint makes, the panicked hyperventilation, the inevitable slide down into the Jaws of death (ha ha) and the fact that this is all happening to this battle hardened toughguy.

Really looking forward to seeing the cleaned up re-release in a couple of weeks on the big screen.

Another one of my favourite scenes (already mentioned on this thread) - The truck chase in Raiders. One of the best action sequences ever made.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

Post #: 83
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 7/6/2012 8:33:18 PM   
andy2000x

The bus scene in Almost Famous after they pick up Russell from the party is my favourite. It's a scene where if you were to describe it, it sounds like a cliched cynical piece of filler but it's peformed and shot so well. One of those scenes that even if I watch it in isolation I always feel better than when I started

2011 Big Screen Spot Prize Winner HP7 Baseball Cap

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 84
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 8/6/2012 6:11:01 PM   
Whistler

That scene in Apocalypto when the prisoners are made to run to their freedom under a barrage of arrows, spears, maces and a final defence line armed with a sharp knife. My heart beats so damn fast. Even the second time, when I knew what happened, I was on the edge of my seat as Jaguar Paw made his run. It makes me feel like I'm the one running away, like in a dream when your feet sink into the ground as your pursuers are getting ever closer to you. It's captivating. Incredibly good scene.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 85
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 10/6/2012 12:35:56 PM   
Bobda

Lost in Translation - karaoke scene
Scarlett Johansson in that pink wig, winking at Bill Murray, who in turn sings Roxy Music. The mustic, the mood, the genuine optimism that they could be more than just friends - outstanding.

The Secret in Their Eyes - football stadium scene
One long truly brilliant camera shot. It starts as an aerial night time shot from outside a floodlight football stadium that captures a shot on goal that hits the woodwork on the way to panning in on two characters. The camera proceeds to follow these two men giving chase through the crowd and through the concourse and staircases.

Apocalypse Now - Ride of the Valkyries
Little explanation needed really. Wonderfully shot and perfectly encapsulated a confused mixture of emotions of war. The music is majestic, composed and a symbol of both heroism and riding into hell itself.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 86
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 10/6/2012 5:30:42 PM   
Taizy

quote:

ORIGINAL: andy2000x

The bus scene in Almost Famous after they pick up Russell from the party is my favourite. It's a scene where if you were to describe it, it sounds like a cliched cynical piece of filler but it's peformed and shot so well. One of those scenes that even if I watch it in isolation I always feel better than when I started

This is a great scene - also love any scene in this film with Frances McDormand, especially 'Rock stars have kidknapped my son' and giving Russell a stern talking to over the phone.

Also love...
* Much Ado About Nothing - decieving Beatrice and Benedict (Branagh and Thompson give a mastercalls in comic timing and Shakespearian delivery)

* The Town - where Jeremy Renner comes over to Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall and the tension mounts as you wait for her to spot JR's tattoo.

Some people call it stalking but it's just selective walking...

(in reply to andy2000x)
Post #: 87
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 10/6/2012 6:00:05 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobotDevil

quote:

I love the bell tolling in that scene. Interesting that Hemingway wrote 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and also 'The Old Man and The Sea', a story about trying to land a huge fish. But that may be reading too much into it.

It is one of the most disturbing on-screen deaths (certainly in that classification). The noise that Quint makes, the panicked hyperventilation, the inevitable slide down into the Jaws of death (ha ha) and the fact that this is all happening to this battle hardened toughguy.

Really looking forward to seeing the cleaned up re-release in a couple of weeks on the big screen.

Another one of my favourite scenes (already mentioned on this thread) - The truck chase in Raiders. One of the best action sequences ever made.

Thats a good book.

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 88
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 10/6/2012 7:29:42 PM   
BelowTheSun

The breakfast scene from Pulp Fiction is the first thing that springs to mind. Jackson's delivery really makes it.

The train crash sequence in Super 8.

Kitchen scene in Jurassic Park.

Dr Lecter's escape in The Silence Of The Lambs.

Beach massacre scene in Piranha 3D.

The Pale Man part in Pan's Labyrinth (wanted more of him!).

La Motta in the prison cell in Raging Bull.

The interview with the mayor guy in Ghostbusters - 'Dogs and cats living together!'.

Deserted London in 28 Days Later.

I'll probably think of more later...

Post #: 89
RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes - 20/6/2012 1:24:02 AM   
benny the jet

Lift scene in True Romance

Russian Roulette in Deer Hunter

Indianapolis speech in Jaws

"Yeah, it was me" Dead Man's Shoes

Capa's message home in Sunshine

Opening scene in Atonement

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to BelowTheSun)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI