Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Awake - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Awake - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Awake - US Speed - 24/3/2012 7:28:33 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Have I just explained that in a really crap way?  Have you noticed how one universe is shot with a green filter (where his son's alive) and the other a red filter (his wife's alive)?

Really? I hadn't, no, I'll look out for it though thanks. What's BD and Cherry though?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 31
RE: Awake - US Speed - 24/3/2012 7:33:48 PM   
Captain Black

The actors playing the shrinks. Cherry Jones is the woman, BD Wong the guy.

Page 2 so we should say a big hello to Jason.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 32
RE: Awake - US Speed - 24/3/2012 7:39:51 PM   
musht

quote:

Green=Son=Cherry Jones as shrink=Freeman as partner.
Red=Wife=BD Wong as shrink=Vega as partner.

For some reason and I don't know why I read these as 4 equations, not 2. My bad, that's makes much more sense now!

Hello to Jason.

What's the other word he's slipping in can you remember, we got ukelele this week (it was shoehorned in but I still enjoyed it)

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 33
RE: Awake - US Speed - 24/3/2012 7:43:35 PM   
Captain Black

Wait, ukele's an in-joke? I missed that. Ah, the cult of Isaacs. I know he's a really good tennis player so assumed that he was a suggestion of his.

I know most people hate teens on TV, but I think the actor playing his son is really good.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 34
RE: Awake - US Speed - 24/3/2012 8:01:14 PM   
musht

quote:

Wait, ukele's an in-joke? I missed that. Ah, the cult of Isaacs. I know he's a really good tennis player so assumed that he was a suggestion of his.

I know most people hate teens on TV, but I think the actor playing his son is really good.

Yeh he asked Kermode and Mayo for 2 words to insert into the script in a way of saying hello to all their listeners. Ukelele was one but I can't remember the other, think it was teapot or something.

Yeh he is very good, although the name Rex still annoys me.

Also, his tennis coach is hot

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 35
RE: Awake - US Speed - 24/3/2012 9:06:49 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Another solid episode. The plot with the former babysitter was particularly interesting, as it shows how severely different the two realities can be. It's not just the wife/son being dead that's different, it's potentially anything.

Don't expect to see a Season 2 though, which makes the cliffhanger from episode two even more infuriating.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 36
RE: Awake - US Speed - 6/4/2012 11:02:10 PM   
Captain Black

Watching this episode, I can't help but wonder if it was made 5 years ago (and possibly on a different network, although NBC weren't in quite sure a dire position back then), this show would be a big water-cooler show. It's got that nice balance of episodic content, mystery and solid characterisation - it's got a sense of humour too, the astronaut's bed stuff was great. Also, given that this episode had the most left-field content such as the penguin and the pretty good fake out with Dr Lee (so obvious in hindsight, but I missed it), and I wonder if quite how far it can push the he's-going-crazy aspect of it - too far and the show becomes a mess, but avoid it and this episode is a bump in the road not a natural part of the arc.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 37
RE: Awake - US Speed - 14/4/2012 10:27:36 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor
Don't expect to see a Season 2 though, which makes the cliffhanger from episode two even more infuriating.

Did episode 7 annoy you even further because there's a fair bit of the conspriacy in this one? I have no issue with this particular plot thread, in fact I'm optimistic that the show will resolve this aspect by the end of the season and the episode was, again, pretty good. I thought the scene where Captain Harper got the younger daughter the talk was particularly good; possibly because while the read universe has painted her as a villain (albeit one with a conscience) and this was her first real 'good guy' moment. Of course, I think I'm right in saying the green universe has not shown anything directly related to the conspiracy.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 38
RE: Awake - US Speed - 20/4/2012 10:41:08 PM   
Captain Black

Another really good episode. Something the show does quite well is to just stay in one of the universes for solid portions of an episode and not jump back and forth. Also they keep finding good ways to make the A-story mirror Britten's situation.

So, assuming that there is one reality which is real and another which is a dream, where's your money? I've got a pick, and I have reasons, but I'd like to know other people's.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 39
RE: Awake - US Speed - 27/4/2012 11:31:56 PM   
musht

Another solid episode.

Having seen that episode I think I'd have to say that the world where Rex died is the reality, as it's in this world that we've seen most plot developments . . . I think, it's hard to remember but the conspiracy subplot with the captain is more prominent in his wife's world and we have *Spoilers* Rex's baby as well

But that's if I had to choose, I still think there may be sci-fi twist coming whereby both worlds are real

Really enjoying this, hope it doesn't get cancelled

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 40
RE: Awake - US Speed - 28/4/2012 12:15:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

Really liking this series. Not sure where it's going to go and can't really call what is or isn't "real". I think maybe the "red" universe is real as well. If only because I wan his wife to still be around as she is a bot of a hottie (although now a granny!)

Rex's baby is a bit of a doozy - although It's clearly just a way to keep Britten in LA it's an interesting turn of events which throws up all kinds of possibilities.

I hope it does get picked up, if not at least I hope we get a proper resolution

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 41
RE: Awake - US Speed - 30/4/2012 9:37:02 PM   
Captain Black

Was thinking this was probably the weakest episode of the series until the ending, which was knock-out. The plotting on the show is excellent.

When I asked my question after the previous episode I was going to say I reckon the son's universe is real as that seemed to be about Britten learning how to cope with his son, and the wife's universe was more about saying goodbye. But of course, this episode flips all that on its head. Great stuff.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 42
RE: Awake - US Speed - 2/5/2012 3:00:25 PM   
musht

The two final episodes of Communtiy have been pushed forward and now the final three episodes will be aired on May 17. The new schedule means that the Awake finale has been pushed back.

Could be bad for both shows which have not been pulling in the numbers

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 43
RE: Awake - US Speed - 2/5/2012 5:48:51 PM   
Captain Black

Just to clairfy, is Awake not on on the 17th because of the Community move? This listing has two episodes on the 24th anyway, so does that mean there will be two on that night and the finale the week after?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 44
RE: Awake - US Speed - 2/5/2012 5:57:26 PM   
musht

The Awake that was scheduled for the 17 was a 2 hour finale, it's been moved because of Community. Presumably that's the finale on the 24 so after that it's done.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 45
RE: Awake - US Speed - 2/5/2012 6:08:12 PM   
Captain Black

Oh right, that makes sense now. Shame we've got a week off but given the ratings at least it's getting aired.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 46
RE: Awake - US Speed - 11/5/2012 9:23:44 PM   
jediwarrior

Awake is not getting another series. NBC have cancelled it.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 47
RE: Awake - US Speed - 11/5/2012 9:39:10 PM   
Captain Black

Unsurprising. Doesn't reduce my enthusiasm for another very good episode. Probably the first where Isaacs gets to really emote and he was just brilliant. I guess the ending can raise a few questions about the way that time works - I don't think the show's answered if he relives the same day and if so, if one universe is further ahead, or anything like that - which I've wondered about, but I'm also quite happy to let the writers play with those mechanics for dramatic effect.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 48
RE: Awake - US Speed - 11/5/2012 11:36:49 PM   
musht

Agreed, another solid episode. Doubts have been put on my theory that the red universe is the real one, as if that was the case there's no way he subconsciously could've known about Rex's girlfriend let alone her pregnancy. I'm sorry it's cancelled as I think it's one of the most original series we've seen in a while. I hope we get some sort of resolution

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 49
RE: Awake - US Speed - 12/5/2012 9:04:12 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Poor Kyle Killen. Behind the best network pilots two years running - Awake and Lone Star - and both cancelled way before their time.

Look forward to whatever he does next.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 50
RE: Awake - US Speed - 14/5/2012 12:02:39 PM   
st3veebee

Such a shame this is being cancelled. Isaacs is exquisite in a fascinating role. So annoyed at this..

I blame Fez

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 51
RE: Awake - US Speed - 19/5/2012 12:27:29 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

Well, it's all kicking off now.- in the "red" universe we have Bird dead and Britten with a gunshot to the stomach. And in the "green" he's banged up and facing murder charges at the hands of the very woman he's trying (unknowingly) to catch. I hope we'll at least get a proper conclusion to this storyline - even if the whole mystery is never resolved.

Gutted that it's been cancelled. Mr Isaacs deserves much better.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 19/5/2012 12:29:20 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 52
RE: Awake - US Speed - 22/5/2012 9:56:42 PM   
Captain Black

A lot of 24 behind the scenes folk involved in this one (the director did a fair few, writer Evan Katz worked on it a long time, in addition to Howard Gordon's presence) resulted in a well, very similar to 24 style episode, at least for the first half. Fairly entertaining stuff, though Bird's death didn't have quite the impact that I think it should have done (the knowledge that he'd still be alive in the other universe lessened it a little, I guess). I did like the fact that the hacker character had a whole team working on stuff and wasn't just on his own. Not much stuff involving Hannah and Rex, hope they don't sideline those two too much for the last episode. Kind of hoping this week's was the nuts and bolts required to solve the plot, and next week's finale will just go mental, even if it leaves stuff hanging. And honestly, given the premise, might this not be the sort of show that is better left up in the air for us to argue about what's real and what's not afterwards?

Invisiotext:

Post #: 53
RE: Awake - US Speed - 25/5/2012 7:09:38 PM   
Captain Black

Gut reaction to the finale: loved it. Must ponder.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 54
RE: Awake - US Speed - 25/5/2012 7:54:12 PM   
Scruffybobby

Quite a bit of pondering required I think. I did like the ending but I really don't know what the heck happened. I guess I'll just have to draw my own conclusions - which is actually pretty cool.

Post #: 55
RE: Awake - US Speed - 29/7/2012 12:29:15 AM   
musht

Finally finished this, I think it was the only ending they could've done given that they weren't going to get a second season.

At least I'm presuming they changed the ending, otherwise that would've a very strange setup for a second season.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 56
RE: Awake - US Speed - 29/7/2012 2:30:52 AM   
Shifty Bench

Jason Issacs said in the Empire podcast that they didn't have any stories for season two, that 13 eps is all they could have done.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 57
RE: Awake - US Speed - 29/7/2012 1:15:53 PM   
musht

Interesting wiki segment below on Killen and the finale

"In response to viewer speculation on the meaning of the finale, Killen said, "I've seen some really interesting [theories], and I wouldn't say that anyone is wrong—except the people who are calling it a Dallas or a Newhart, any variation on '…and then he woke up.' That is absolutely not what we intended. If you watch the last few minutes again, I'm not sure what the argument for that [interpretation] even is. I suppose there's the überpossibility that he's in a coma and now having a third dream in the coma, but in no way should it be interpreted as, 'He woke up and his family was fine. He'd just been having two nightmares.'" Killen said "we actively fought against" the idea that the whole series was Britten's dream, and that what seeing his wife and son together "really represents is a further fracturing of his psyche". A second season, Killen said, would have used the idea of both wife and son being alive, but not necessarily as a third reality. Another season also left the possibility of Tara and Michael forming a romantic relationship. Since the finale was written before the show's cancellation, it was written so that either reality could have been the real one, because "[the writers] didn't intend to have that mystery sewn up in this episode"."

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 58
RE: Awake - US Speed - 2/8/2012 12:19:55 PM   
LEEJGM

I just saw the last two episodes last night. I really enjoyed this show and I'm gutted we won't see any more. I loved the ambiguity of the ending too. I personally think he was in coma from the accident and the ending was a third reality, he's still unconscious.
Any way, loved it and will miss it.
Hello and goodbye to Jason.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Awake - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI