Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Jonathan Liebesman Wants Turtle Power

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jonathan Liebesman Wants Turtle Power Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jonathan Liebesman Wants Turtle Power - 15/2/2012 8:12:53 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 15/2/2012 8:12:53 AM   
shitneck

Please dear god, can't you let the studio in on the worlds worst kept secret and tell them nobody gives a shit about this movie?????
The only reason anyone would want this brought back would be for the merchandise revenue, and not because they want to see four giant mantortoises trying to crack jokes.
Paradise Lost can't get a greenlight, yet this does? You really couldn't make it up could you...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 15/2/2012 9:53:18 AM   
Kayotik

As poor as the animation was, the last TMNT movie was actually quite enjoyable and decently scripted. Was hoping they'd do a follow up to it with better animation.

(in reply to shitneck)
Post #: 3
Cowabunga! - 15/2/2012 10:52:26 AM   
Moronifighter

I have been waiting for this for AGES! Cannot wait for this. Turtles rule! I hated the fully animated version. they should use some animation to enhance the characters faces a la Where the wild things are, but for the rest colour me excited even though I wish Edgar Wright was directing this after Scott Pilgrim he would be perfect for this.

Post #: 4
Cowabunga! - 15/2/2012 10:52:46 AM   
Moronifighter

I have been waiting for this for AGES! Cannot wait for this. Turtles rule! I hated the fully animated version. they should use some animation to enhance the characters faces a la Where the wild things are, but for the rest colour me excited even though I wish Edgar Wright was directing this after Scott Pilgrim he would be perfect for this.

Post #: 5
RE: Cowabunga! - 15/2/2012 10:59:25 AM   
sowasred2012

@Kayotik

Ditto, I enjoyed that CG movie - especially the Leo/Raph fight. The animation might not have been so great, but it occasionally hit the sort of tone I'd like to see more of in any new movies.

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012

(in reply to Moronifighter)
Post #: 6
sweet - 15/2/2012 1:18:08 PM   
blade32

this could be awesome. as long as they keep it as real actors in animatronic suits, and not CGI!

Post #: 7
sweet - 15/2/2012 1:18:22 PM   
blade32

this could be awesome. as long as they keep it as real actors in animatronic suits, and not CGI!

Post #: 8
sweet - 15/2/2012 1:28:51 PM   
blade32

Post #: 9
It will not be animatronic ... - 15/2/2012 1:51:42 PM   
Nicky C

... it will be performance capture rendered on top of live action, of course. We'll see CG turtles in full-contact fights with other actors. They'll choreography the fights intensely and then film them, but the people playing turtles will be in mocap suits. Guaranteed. It's a natural progression from Avatar, to the recent Apes movie, to that.

Post #: 10
RE: - 15/2/2012 3:29:32 PM   
domcruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: shitneck

Please dear god, can't you let the studio in on the worlds worst kept secret and tell them nobody gives a shit about this movie?????

Wow 'shitneck', what an incredibly ignorant comment. I think you'll find there is a huge audience for this movie, although whether they'll get the movie they want is another question. Personally, I'm not too fussed and I could happily live with the original movie, but will more than likely check this one out.

And for those saying the Turtles should be 'real actors in animatronic suits', SERIOUSLY?!? Have you not seen the amazing digital prosthetics of Rise of the Planet of the Apes? Get your head out of your ass.

(in reply to shitneck)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 17/2/2012 3:27:15 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I'm sad to hear to this name mentioned in connection with such a storied property.

When it comes to the TMNT, I think they're by far some of the finest super heroes/fictional characters ever created. I mean really, when you think of the cultural impact of the original turtle comics, its incredible. No doubt more people around the globe can name all the turtles than could name the core members of the Justice League, ETC. The pop culture significance of TMNT is staggering- up there with Superman, Batman, ETC.

I fear the studios are going to go for the same empty blockbuster style that has ruined so many otherwise promising films in recent years. I never much cared about TRANSFORMERS (before my time, and I don't think I'd have been interested in cold emotionless robots*), and while I dislike Bay's TRANSFORMERS films, I can't claim that they wound my psyche in any way. In this case though, I really really care about TMNT. I'd like a franchise as potentially rich (both creatively and fiscally) as TMNT to get a chance to exist as something other than a frantic collection of pixels smashing into one another. I hope the action scenes stay grounded in reality, and whoever ends up helming this film doesn't embrace the leaping and bounding action of the animated series. I know some people say the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are inherently silly, but I think an audience will only think something is silly if you allow room in your film for them to think that way. On that note, I think a "Terrapin Bourne" style approach (while for hand to hand combat keeping the focus heavy on martial arts, given their ninja training) would work best. By this I mean, embrace what is unique about them as turtles, but also keep it within the bounds of plausible reality. A giant turtle may be capable of feats that a human is not (stopping a sword or shiv with it's shell, for instance), but they are still big and heavy and it would be physically impossible for one to jump two, three times it's height (the way the ones in the cartoon do). The turtles could do realistic ninja maneuvers, deft and quick and unwired stunts (Tony Jaa style), and engage in death defying parkour (an activity greatly enhanced by the shell, which can be used for rolling and sliding). Additionally, they may be mutant, but they have no super powers to speak of. They have only their training, strength, and shells to rely on. They should keep the action fast, but the camera pulled back to show better showcase the skill and style of each turtle and how they fight together. Like NINJA ASSASSIN, in a way (a film I enjoyed, I liked how it brought in the Interpol aspect of the story, so we kind of "discovered" the world of the ninjas along with the interpol agent). I think the same could be done for April O'Neils discovery of the turtles)

PS: While I think it would be cool to make it a late 80s period piece, I think there are alot of thematically rich present day anxieties and concerns that it would be a missed oppertunity not to set it in modern day NYC. 80s New York may have been a hell hole, but it was quite frankly probably a welcome haven to a TMNT looking to hide out. Gentrified NYC though, post 9/11, would be a very difficult place for a giant turtle to remain undetected. Splinter would have to train his Ninja Clan to operate much like a terror cell, where any contact with the outside world (April O'Neil included) is considered a risk to the overall operation. Remember, they only become heroes by accident (and because they have good hearts). Their war is with The Foot, and The Foot happens to be in NYC. Their goal at first should be the waging of that war in secret, not random violent crime prevention.

PPS: RE: PIZZA / COWABUNGA

The surfer slang they use is an attribute of their personalities that they've deliberately adopted. It's a part of human culture that they've embraced as a way of defining their own individuality. They may be mutants and lead secretive lives of ninja solitude, but with each-other they try to enjoy themselves and act more like fratboys than ninja killers. It's how they retain their sanity and avoid the depression that would no doubt result from living in the sewer alone.

The Pizza and the slang need to be retained, but I with that said, I don't think that it should be a constant presence in every scene. These are professional, trained killers. They can lighten the mood with quips, but they shouldn't be clowns

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 18/2/2012 4:10:38 AM >

(in reply to domcruise)
Post #: 12
@King of Kafiristan - 22/2/2012 8:39:33 AM   
Miikesmama

The "cultural impact of the original turtle comics"???? You kidding? There was NONE, Nada, Zero, Null.

IF so many people (as you claim) know the names of the 4 Turtles, than it's ONLY because of the animated tv-show!

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jonathan Liebesman Wants Turtle Power Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI