Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 14/2/2012 3:37:09 PM   
artilleryman

Just so long as I don't have to commit to watching more of this bloated shit that's killing proper film-making....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 14/2/2012 3:41:51 PM   
King of Kafiristan

This is genuinely frightening. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN was just the canary in the coal mine, it seems. Is this the future of cinema? The same empty headed "brands" being regurgitated year after year - wash, rinse, repeat? Sure, Hollywood is now run by business majors with no more interest in art than an executive at Goldman Sachs - all that matters now to these people is maximizing profits and reducing risk to zero. But are we not complicit in this? Hasn't the gullible public enabled this cultural devolution, clapping like circus seals when their juvenile interests (toys, cartoons) are indulged with the big budget treatment? When TRANSFORMERS 3 is the fourth highest grossing film of all time, who in their right mind would want to finance the next CHILDREN OF MEN? The next JAWS?

Whoever is responsible, this is undoubtedly a black day for cinema. Why should ANYONE want more TRANSFORMERS films? The characters are not interesting. These films do not engage you on any emotional level. Bay will not come up with anything other than a remix of what we've seen before. Doesn't anyone want to hear new stories? About new characters and situations?

Oh well, I guess we deserve what we get. Idiocracy here we come.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 32
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 14/2/2012 4:31:33 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

This is genuinely frightening. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN was just the canary in the coal mine, it seems. Is this the future of cinema? The same empty headed "brands" being regurgitated year after year - wash, rinse, repeat? Sure, Hollywood is now run by business majors with no more interest in art than an executive at Goldman Sachs - all that matters now to these people is maximizing profits and reducing risk to zero. But are we not complicit in this? Hasn't the gullible public enabled this cultural devolution, clapping like circus seals when their juvenile interests (toys, cartoons) are indulged with the big budget treatment? When TRANSFORMERS 3 is the fourth highest grossing film of all time, who in their right mind would want to finance the next CHILDREN OF MEN? The next JAWS?

Whoever is responsible, this is undoubtedly a black day for cinema. Why should ANYONE want more TRANSFORMERS films? The characters are not interesting. These films do not engage you on any emotional level. Bay will not come up with anything other than a remix of what we've seen before. Doesn't anyone want to hear new stories? About new characters and situations?

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 33
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 14/2/2012 4:51:45 PM   
MonsterCat

Michael Bay, you really are a hopeless, drooling man child of a director.

There is a market out there for summer blockbusters that don't treat their audiences like fucking morons. Really, there's no excuse for shit like the Transformers franchise.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 14/2/2012 4:52:38 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 34
- 14/2/2012 4:55:02 PM   
nKutzler

I'll never understand how they keep Bay on. The movies will make boatloads regardless of director, so why don't they pick someone who doesn't bring uproar about destroying the original material, extreme racism that he ignores, random gratuitous drug use and sex, and Revenge of the Fallen. Instead, they bring Bay back, give him two years despite how they "don’t even know yet". They don't know anything. That's more literal, really. So it'll turn out just another Michael Bay. Only saving grace is that Shia jumped ship and can work on something respectable.

Post #: 35
Transformers 4: Michael Bay's Pension Plan - 14/2/2012 5:07:25 PM   
BenTramer

You'd imagine Michael Bay would have had enough of this franchise already. I think they should have brought in someone new and start with a completely clean slate.

Post #: 36
RE: Transformers 4: Michael Bay's Pension Plan - 14/2/2012 5:36:24 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

You'd imagine Michael Bay would have had enough of this franchise already. I think they should have brought in someone new and start with a completely clean slate.

Not really,Its Bays main cash-cow.He'll be buggered without it....or maybe he wont considering he has a huge fanbase (who else is paying to see his rubbish?).

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 37
The Island - 14/2/2012 6:53:38 PM   
BatSpider

Bay did a thought provoking subversive movie in The Island, along with some (pretty damn awesome) explosions and bone crunching bayhem. Problem was it was under-rated and a flop. Bay decided "fuck this, the audience wants brain dead, so I'll give them brain dead". So, blame the popcorn munching fucko masses for Transformers, not just Bay.

Post #: 38
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 14/2/2012 7:53:30 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

Nothing new in the movie business milking a franchise or in remaking or rebooting. I didn't see TF1 or 2 in the cinema. Wont see TF3 at all. Lot's of people did. Hollywood don't fix what the box office tells Hollywood don't need fixing don't need fixing.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 14/2/2012 8:10:44 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 39
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 14/2/2012 8:05:04 PM   
azzman1984

I am more looking forward to seeing Pain And Gain than a new Transformers as well, just seeing Wahlberg and Johnson onscreen together will be awesome plus Ed Harris is set be onboard as well

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 40
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 14/2/2012 8:37:18 PM   
Sutty

I tuned out of the Transformers franchise 20 minutes in to the first one. Awful!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 41
RE: The Island - 14/2/2012 8:44:57 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Bay did a thought provoking subversive movie in The Island, along with some (pretty damn awesome) explosions and bone crunching bayhem. Problem was it was under-rated and a flop. Bay decided "fuck this, the audience wants brain dead, so I'll give them brain dead". So, blame the popcorn munching fucko masses for Transformers, not just Bay.

You raise an interesting point, but if Bay truly had intentions of making more thought-provoking films he would do it - he pretty much has the status, the money and the friends to do whatever he wants. There was nothing forcing him into a 4th Tranformers film.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 42
RE: The Island - 14/2/2012 9:46:06 PM   
kumar

Though Transformers 3 was a step in the right direction following T2 (not hard) it never reached the fun factor of the first one and had equally stupid moments in which detracted completely. Im bored of Micheal Bay, he can direct action scenes but he cant direct films. I dont want Bay back this time, but im sure I will find something entertaining in the next one.
They can do a reboot all they want, but with Bay it means we will still get his awful trademark comedy attempts and unnecessary filler.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 43
RE: The Island - 15/2/2012 2:24:06 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

You really think The Island was provoking and subversive?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 44
RE: The Island - 15/2/2012 8:55:07 AM   
jobloffski

Yeah, subversive of originality and provoking thoughts of earlier sci-fi films principally THX-1138 (ironically, given the story of The Island apparently heartlessly harvesting component parts of the earlier film but not the brain, social commentary, criticism/parody of consumerism, people as exploited, expendable, replaceable components of the body of society...well, The Island did the last one, but asked the viewer to just watch it happen to someone else, not to ask themselves if they felt like they were part of a society that used them in this way).

It is more grown up than most Bay films, well, until the situation has been established, then it's movie movie movie, chase bang bang right up to the end. Fair enough, it's THX for kids, but it sets up something to think about but then goes all out to solve the situation by the end of the movie, whereas the mainstream sci-fi films that preceded it often encouraged you to compare the society in the sci-fi film to the one you're back in when the film is over, and wonder if YOU are being exploited by society, and would YOU be hounded like a dog if you don't conform and accept what 'the man' wants you to do.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 15/2/2012 9:02:59 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 45
RE: The Island - 15/2/2012 9:05:29 AM   
femalebodyinspector

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Though Transformers 3 was a step in the right direction following T2 (not hard) it never reached the fun factor of the first one and had equally stupid moments in which detracted completely. Im bored of Micheal Bay, he can direct action scenes but he cant direct films. I dont want Bay back this time, but im sure I will find something entertaining in the next one.
They can do a reboot all they want, but with Bay it means we will still get his awful trademark comedy attempts and unnecessary filler.

Sorry but how was T3 a step in the right direction? The only box that gets ticked is the visual effects. Ok I get that I aint a kid anymore and I view films in a different light now, but I still like mindless movies, I get it. But this is high on my list as one of the worst films I have EVER seen (up there with Haywire). A truly s**te story which jumps all over the place with some of the strangest charecters I have ever seen, seriously they were bordering on insane and in no way do I mean that in a good way. And talk about miscasting..... even the exisiting characters got worse. But I aint surprised he's back, got keep flogging the cash cow. Ride em cowboy.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 46
RE: The Island - 15/2/2012 9:12:04 AM   
anakin solo

I know i'm going to get some flack for this but everyone of Michael Bay's films that I've seen from bad boys, the island, the transformers trilogy have all been great movies, and yes i know that they've but a little out there but I wouldn't had him change any one of them of the way the story has been told and how well the action has been done, and if he wants to keep doing the films the way he likes then he should.
Because if he's still getting the confirmation to make these films then the studios like paramount, 20th century fox and dreamworks have all wanted him to make movies with him, so he must be doing something right.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 47
RE: The Island - 15/2/2012 10:00:43 AM   
Kayotik

What concerns me more is just how much money the last Transformers movie made.

We've left an age where film companies couldn't afford decent special effects and so instead relied on good story and characters to get the audience interested.

Now, sadly, we've entered an age where technology has surpassed intelligence. Audiences are far more amused by 'cool' special effects and 'awesome' explosions than they are by script and acting.

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 48
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 1:34:19 PM   
a123matt

These forums always make me chuckle! These films are not aimed at the people who would write on an Empire Forum! The arrogant view that 'we don't like them, they are shallow poor films therefore the rest of the film going public are idiots!' is just sooo amusing to me. they are multi billion pound films, of course they will kept getting made, because shock horror many millions of people love going to watch them.

The argument about this stopping other films being made is tosh. Just because Britteney Spears sells x millions of records doesn't mean indie bands go unsigned. In fact huge marquee pics like this bring the studios massive profits in difficult times so that they can take risk on smaller/'better' films that satisfy a different audience.

For the record no I dont like the Transformers films I think they are pants, I think Bay is a poor director who is excellent at action set pieces. However does the fact i like foreign films and what a lot of my friends call 'arty shite' mean that i think anyone who enjoys them [Transformers films] is an idiot - no! i am not that small minded!

peace!

Post #: 49
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 2:03:02 PM   
jonson

Good post a123matt.
I was just wondering if the majority of kids who go and see Transformers 4 even know, or care, who Michael Bay is (specifically I'm talking about my own kids who have been to the cinema to see the previous 3)
These films make bucket loads of cash, which possibly even help finance the loss-making "arty" films that most on here like.
I can't see how getting annoyed does anything really, it's not like Michael Bay is Martin Scorsese taking a sabbatical from making superb groundbreaking films.
For the record I saw the first one at the cinema, didn't really enjoy it, saw half of the second on DVD and I don't think I've seen much of the third one, or at best a few scenes while I was walking past looking for my slippers.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to a123matt)
Post #: 50
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 2:14:52 PM   
superdan

I'm interested to know if he intends to actually make a good film this time. The first film wasn't perfect, but it had charm and was fun. The second one didn't, really, and the last one was one of the ugliest films I've seen in quite a while.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 51
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 2:15:26 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: a123matt

The argument about this stopping other films being made is tosh. Just because Britteney Spears sells x millions of records doesn't mean indie bands go unsigned.

That's not entirely true I'm afraid. Studio Exec's are men motivated by money, they want a lot of it. They are afraid to take risks a lot of the time and so if something has proven successful in the past then they are more likely to repeat the formula than try something new that has a risk of failure.

Hence why the majority of films currently are remakes/reboots/belated sequels/prequels.

(in reply to a123matt)
Post #: 52
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 2:22:06 PM   
jonson

You say they're motivated by money, I think what you mean is they're running a business.
No profit means no Hollywood, means no films.
I can handles 10 x $100 million+ blockbusters if it garners an interest in cinema which garners an interst in filmmaking and writing. I don't think any of the big studios have ever gambled that much, they've always stuck to a safe formula.
Not sure why I'm arguing for making these kind of films considering I don't like them, I just accept they have to be made, even badly.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 53
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 5:12:09 PM   
Kayotik

Point I was wanting to make was that say two films come out at the same time.

Brainless Blockbuster and Interesting Indie.

As it is currently trending, most audience members seem to go to the cinema less to think about a film, and more to marvel at the big explosions and shiny effects.

So with that in mind, if Brainless Blockbuster took 75% of ticket sales compared to Interesting Indie during the same run in the cinema, then film companies are going to think "why waste our time making Interesting Indies, they don't sell as well."

This makes me sad.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 54
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 9:11:42 PM   
anakin solo

To argue the point about big explosions and loads of special effects, Transformers are movies about giant robots that transform into vehicles and fight each other to the death cannot do that without having explosions going off all over to the place . All three have great action scenes I will agree that some of the dialogue in the first film was not that good and could have done without it but the second was better but still had some moments in it that shouldn't have been in it and one character aka Leo was damn annoying.
But nothing at all in the third film was bad infact it was excellent and had great humor in it from alan tudyk, and john malkovich. Also patrick dempsey was really sinister which was surprising.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 55
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 9:21:55 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: anakin solo

To argue the point about big explosions and loads of special effects, Transformers are movies about giant robots that transform into vehicles and fight each other to the death cannot do that without having explosions going off all over to the place . All three have great action scenes I will agree that some of the dialogue in the first film was not that good and could have done without it but the second was better but still had some moments in it that shouldn't have been in it and one character aka Leo was damn annoying.
But nothing at all in the third film was bad infact it was excellent and had great humor in it from alan tudyk, and john malkovich. Also patrick dempsey was really sinister which was surprising.

Post #: 56
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 15/2/2012 11:55:57 PM   
Ghidorah

Both Transformers 2 and 3 were rushed. There was a lacked of time to develope the script/story and a lack of time to do detailed transformers sequences. That partly why there were hardly any transformers in them but instead human characters in the forfront with some cgi left in the back.The same thing going to happen again with the 2014 slot. Transformers 3 production ended a few months before released.

< Message edited by Ghidorah -- 15/2/2012 11:57:27 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 57
It sounds crap before it's even started... - 16/2/2012 9:42:52 AM   
Kalielyn

Let's face it, the robots are the only thing worth going to see it for so as someone mentioned already, do the cybertron war and end it with them all heading for earth! It would probably be entirely CGI so get Pixar to help, might make it a bit better...

Post #: 58
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 16/2/2012 12:37:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Oh wait youre being serious?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 59
RE: Bay Commits To Transformers 4 - 16/2/2012 2:52:35 PM   
superdan

quote:

So much wrong.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI