Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Artist Rules The 2012 BAFTAs!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Artist Rules The 2012 BAFTAs! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Artist Rules The 2012 BAFTAs! - 12/2/2012 11:16:24 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 12/2/2012 11:16:24 PM   
jennylouise

It was fun to watch, with the lovely tributes to Scorsese and John Hurt and I'm glad The Artist got the recognition it deserved. A little disappointed John William's War Horse score didn't win- it's the sort of beautiful score that I could listen to even without the visual movie at the same time and find myself emotionally caught up.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 12/2/2012 11:16:31 PM   
jennylouise

It was fun to watch, with the lovely tributes to Scorsese and John Hurt and I'm glad The Artist got the recognition it deserved. A little disappointed John William's War Horse score didn't win- it's the sort of beautiful score that I could listen to even without the visual movie at the same time and find myself emotionally caught up.

Post #: 3
- 12/2/2012 11:42:54 PM   
efc91

I enjoyed this years ceremony finally the film I was routing for won big for once its been a while. Liked seeing Senna pick up two awards and Paddy Considine get some recognition. The only disappointment was Streep winning, would have much preferred Bejo, Davis or Williams.

Post #: 4
- 12/2/2012 11:43:02 PM   
efc91

I enjoyed this years ceremony finally the film I was routing for won big for once its been a while. Liked seeing Senna pick up two awards and Paddy Considine get some recognition. The only disappointment was Streep winning, would have much preferred Bejo, Davis or Williams.

Post #: 5
RE: - 13/2/2012 12:00:39 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Even though it doesn't make up for the shameful snub for Olivia Colman, congratulations to Paddy Considine & Tyrannosaur on a well deserved bafta win.

Pleased for the Artist, Senna & Tinker Tailor as well.

A little disappointed A Separation didn't win foreign language but I did really like The Skin I Live so it isn't the end of the world.

Very surprised Chris Hemsworth didn't win rising star - I thought the fact he played Thor would have made him a shoe-in.

And Mr Fry, please never ever give up the presenting role ever again....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 6
shame - 13/2/2012 9:36:43 AM   
7eke

i'm suprised the artist didnt win best screenplay

Post #: 7
RE: shame - 13/2/2012 10:05:20 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Loved Stephen Fry's hosting but thought that BAFTA totally bottled it on the main awards could (SHOULD!) so easily have been Tilda, Gary, Tomas & T.T.S.S or Drive for the main awards.
MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT!

(in reply to 7eke)
Post #: 8
Red Carpet Photo's - 13/2/2012 11:28:29 AM   
dingerhoffen

Meryl Street? really?

Post #: 9
Pretty good all round - 13/2/2012 12:15:35 PM   
eddybaby83

Have to say I'm pleased with a majority of winners this year. I'm especially glad Tyrannosaur got at least 1 and Senna as well. Am I the only one who wanders why Carey Mulligan got a nomination for Drive? Brilliant film, but was she really that good in it?

< Message edited by eddybaby83 -- 13/2/2012 12:16:26 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: shame - 13/2/2012 12:48:27 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Loved Stephen Fry's hosting but thought that BAFTA totally bottled it on the main awards could (SHOULD!) so easily have been Tilda, Gary, Tomas & T.T.S.S or Drive for the main awards.
MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT!

I don't think they did bottle it; giving the sweep to TTSS (which is what you seem to be suggesting) would have been much more predictable (and, in the face of consensus much more unwarranted). I genuinely thought that TTSS was going to surprise everyone by taking everything tbh, I'm a little shocked that The Artist was responsible for such a great sweep.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 13/2/2012 12:51:04 PM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 11
RE: Pretty good all round - 13/2/2012 1:05:39 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddybaby83

Am I the only one who wanders why Carey Mulligan got a nomination for Drive? Brilliant film, but was she really that good in it?

She is far superior in Shame but that role is more demanding of her to be fair. On that point, how Gosling wasn't nominated I'm not sure for Actor, he is awe inspiring in Drive.

(in reply to eddybaby83)
Post #: 12
- 13/2/2012 2:42:57 PM   
kitfisto

Why no love for Drive?
Ryan Gosling should have at least been nominated for best actor and Albert Brookes should be consult a lawyer because the continued snubbing of his brillient performance is getting beyond a joke! While it's no where near as bad as the Oscar Noms last night was far from baftas best!

P.S Steve McQueen should have got a nomination for Best director as well.

Post #: 13
RE: - 13/2/2012 4:49:24 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Well I've not yet seen THE ARTIST (I wait for films to hit DVD, 99% of the time), but I'm glad to see the success Jean Dujardin has now found. I watched the OSS movies for the first time earlier this year, and I found them to be delightful. Dujardin is a star in his own right, and I hope he gets a wider main stream audience in the wake of this awards season.

(in reply to kitfisto)
Post #: 14
Shambles - 13/2/2012 10:24:41 PM   
fantastic mr ethan

Highly disappointed with the BAFTA's this year. Michael Fassbender was robbed of a win and Joseph Gordon Levitt was robbed of even getting nominated as well as Steve McQueen. Not cool. Nice to see Martin win the fellowship though But when did over acting become good acting? and award worthy?

Post #: 15
Shambles - 13/2/2012 10:24:56 PM   
fantastic mr ethan

Highly disappointed with the BAFTA's this year. Michael Fassbender was robbed of a win and Joseph Gordon Levitt was robbed of even getting nominated as well as Steve McQueen. Not cool. Nice to see Martin win the fellowship though But when did over acting become good acting? and award worthy?

Post #: 16
Shambles - 13/2/2012 10:25:11 PM   
fantastic mr ethan

Post #: 17
Where's Drive's win? - 13/2/2012 10:25:53 PM   
fantastic mr ethan

Post #: 18
Shambles - 13/2/2012 10:26:14 PM   
fantastic mr ethan

Post #: 19
Gimmick sweeps board - 14/2/2012 1:37:23 PM   
david myers

Am i seriously the only one who thinks the Artist is hugely over-rated?

yes its sweet and good fun, has some decent visual gags and charming performances from its great cast but is the story really up to much?
Personally i found the 2nd half laboured and predictable and Dujardin's character lacking in depth or empathy.
For my money people are being swept away on the (albeit bold ) gimmick of bringing back a silent movie and proving it can still be entertaining in this age of 3D, CGI and special effects. Its a good film, imaginatively made, but nowhere near the best film of the year.

Again, a personal choice but I would have like to see The Descendants win best film and Clooney be recognised for his finest ever performance.
The film moves and amuses in ways the Artist does not get near to in my opinion.

For the Artist to also win best original screenplay is also surely something of a joke?

Post #: 20
Gimmick sweeps board - 14/2/2012 1:37:37 PM   
david myers

yes its sweet and good fun, has some decent visual gags and charming performances from its great cast but is the story really up to much?
Personally i found the 2nd half laboured and predictable and Dujardin's character lacking in depth or empathy.
For my money people are being swept away on the (albeit bold ) gimmick of bringing back a silent movie and proving it can still be entertaining in this age of 3D, CGI and special effects. Its a good film, imaginatively made, but nowhere near the best film of the year.

Again, a personal choice but I would have like to see The Descendants win best film and Clooney be recognised for his finest ever performance.
The film moves and amuses in ways the Artist does not get near to in my opinion.

For the Artist to also win best original screenplay is also surely something of a joke?

Post #: 21
Gimmick sweeps board - 14/2/2012 1:38:37 PM   
david myers

Post #: 22
- 16/2/2012 7:03:31 AM   
liamhorn

Why hasn't anyone reviewed it?

Post #: 23
RE: - 18/2/2012 5:40:03 PM   
princessa

Verry disappointed for Tinker Tailor...and for Gary Oldman.  C'mon Bafta you could have given him the award...

However enjoyed the ceremony.  It actually wasn't that bad.

< Message edited by princessa -- 18/2/2012 5:41:03 PM >

(in reply to liamhorn)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Artist Rules The 2012 BAFTAs! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI