Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top 100 footballers of all time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Top 100 footballers of all time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top 100 footballers of all time - 10/2/2012 7:31:23 PM   
MOTH

Journalist Miguel Delaney makes a fair stab at listing the great players of all time, based on facts and figures.
A good read, not so much because of the order, which is never likely to be accepted wholeheartedly, but because in amongst the usual suspects, there's a fair few i wasn't familiar with, such as Guiseppe Meazza, Obdulia Varela and others. If you've a bit of time on your hands, it's a good source for some interesting titbits and anecdotes so you can impress your mates down t'pub. (just before they run you out of town for being a boring arse)

Top 100 Footballers.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show
Post #: 1
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 10/2/2012 7:40:26 PM   
Rhubarb

I was sort of hopeful this would be a poll so we could vote for our own. Still, cool link (I'd have Johan Cruyff at No1)

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 2
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 10/2/2012 8:48:37 PM   
boaby

that's just gibberish.

Pele had more caps, more international goal and won 3 times as many world cups as Maradona, yet Maradona scores higher on the boy's international category. Nonsense. By the Age of 17 Pele had scored the winner in a WC QF, a hat-rick in a WC semi and a double in the WC final. 6 goals. More than Maradona scored in '86 at his peak.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 10/2/2012 9:38:42 PM   
galvatron

How can Pele be given a mark of 84/100 for international career? He won THREE world cups! 

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 9:01:59 AM   
Mojo

No Christiano Ronaldo in the top 100?

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 9:23:06 AM   
jonson

It's quite an interesting way of working out the Top 100, I wouldn't argue with the Top 2, I know Pele won more WC's but Maradonna was awesome, just awesome.
I see the lack of players who didn't win much domestically and internationally, hence perhaps the lack of Christiano Ronaldo and IMO, Paul Gascoigne (the best English player I have seen - certianly of the last 40 years)
Still, it's always interesting for a debate, I've printed the list off and shall peruse it in the pub before the football this afternoon.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 9:25:11 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

No Christiano Ronaldo in the top 100?

That's a fucking travesty as he should be top 20 at least and the comments said he only just missed out. Right, so Ronaldinho makes the top 40 and he was good for what, like 3 or 4 seasons, whilst Ronaldo dominated the EPL for that and more and now La Liga...and the likes of Sammer, Redondo, Villa make it ahead of him. All very good players but should not be in there at the expense of Ronaldo.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 7
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 9:29:08 AM   
jonson

Yeah, I'd have to agree, Was the best player in the Premiership for most of his time here, but then again they left out Matt Le Tissier who if he'd gone to Fergie at ManU and not eaten so many pies, would have been the greatest player of all time.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 8
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 9:34:32 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Yeah, I'd have to agree, Was the best player in the Premiership for most of his time here, but then again they left out Matt Le Tissier who if he'd gone to Fergie at ManU and not eaten so many pies, would have been the greatest player of all time.

Le Tiss should've come to Chelsea when Hoddle was there...he nearly did but didn't fancy giving up his golf!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 9
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 9:58:07 AM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I was sort of hopeful this would be a poll so we could vote for our own. Still, cool link (I'd have Johan Cruyff at No1)

If there's interest I'd quite happily do an Empire top 100 football players of all time thread

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 10
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 10:10:31 AM   
MOTH

like i said, unlikely that people will accept the list or order, but still a useful resource. I know I'll be casually mentioning the likes of Meazza now, whenever this topic comes up with mates, whilst they trot out the usual suspects.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 11
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 10:11:47 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

Le Tiss should've come to Chelsea when Hoddle was there...he nearly did but didn't fancy giving up his golf!

Fair play.
I admire his devotion to Southampton (and he didn't want to be too far from his family) but I can't remember seeing that many naturally gifted footballers, Gazza aside, than him.

quote:

If there's interest I'd quite happily do an Empire top 100 football players of all time thread

OK, go on then.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 12
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 12:06:19 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

Fair play.
I admire his devotion to Southampton (and he didn't want to be too far from his family) but I can't remember seeing that many naturally gifted footballers, Gazza aside, than him.

quote:

OK, go on then.

Oh yeah I agree he was an absolute natural and the sort of player a lot of European clubs or countries would've built their team around...and I think a move to a resurgent Chelsea with Hoddle, Gullitt etc would've been huge for him

Go for it!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 13
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 2:54:29 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

Just your own list or a forum poll? I'd like the idea of doing a top 100, it could be interesting. If you run a poll count me in.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 14
RE: Top 100 footballers of all time - 11/2/2012 6:47:55 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

Just your own list or a forum poll? I'd like the idea of doing a top 100, it could be interesting. If you run a poll count me in.

Definitely a forum poll, if it was my own personal list we'd end up with Henrik Larsson 99 times and Eric Cantona at number 37

Let me have a think tonight what rules (How many votes, closing date, that kinda thing) and I'll get a thread up in the morning.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Top 100 footballers of all time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI