Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Just as shit as it was 13 years ago.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Just as shit as it was 13 years ago. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just as shit as it was 13 years ago. - 12/2/2012 2:02:02 PM   
Jim Bob

I made it through a whopping 40 minutes of the Blu-ray before listing it on ebay and I have no intention of pissing away another second of my life watching this flick, whatever the presentation.

< Message edited by Jim Bob -- 12/2/2012 2:03:06 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 13/2/2012 10:18:34 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Now here's what Kermode was on about for anyone whose seeing the Star Wars franchise for the 1st time (spose there must be a few?) surely they should have shown the original trilogy 1st so as not to give away the major plot twist from Empire Strikes Back which sadly George seems not to have thought of.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 32
RE: Just as shit as it was 13 years ago. - 13/2/2012 11:23:15 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Bob

I made it through a whopping 40 minutes of the Blu-ray before listing it on ebay and I have no intention of pissing away another second of my life watching this flick, whatever the presentation.

I love comments like this.People who hate a movie but buy the blu ray anyway.With critics like these, who needs fans?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Jim Bob)
Post #: 33
RE: Just as shit as it was 13 years ago. - 13/2/2012 11:42:47 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

I love comments like this.People who hate a movie but buy the blu ray anyway.With critics like these, who needs fans?

Perhaps he wanted to give it a second chance? Open-mindedness is surely a good thing?

Post #: 34
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 13/2/2012 12:41:11 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Now here's what Kermode was on about for anyone whose seeing the Star Wars franchise for the 1st time (spose there must be a few?) surely they should have shown the original trilogy 1st so as not to give away the major plot twist from Empire Strikes Back which sadly George seems not to have thought of.

It's strange that he has essentially rendered the series' most iconic moment a footnote by focusing on the prequels, but I don't think Lucas really cares about saving the reveal any more - it's all about the "saga", as plodding and inane as it might have become with the prequels.

It does suggest that episodes 1-6 is his preferred, "official" order, over the more sensible episodes 4-6, 2, 3.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 35
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 13/2/2012 12:46:41 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Went to see it yesterday with my 12 year old nephew who had never seen a SW film before and he absolutley loved it.I enjoyed seeing it again on the big screen after so many years.As for the 3d, it was largely inconsequential,but seeing the film on a massive screen with booming surround sound made for a fantastic experience.

Don't you think he should watch them in the right order though?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 36
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 13/2/2012 1:18:15 PM   
Hood_Man

2 stars seems fair. I saw this in the cinema the other night and it was hard work to stick with it (my mate stood up to leave at one point, I thought "No way, not after paying £9 a ticket AND £2 for the novelty podracer glasses ).

I seriously underestimated how much of a home movie this is. When I bought the Blu Ray in December I did actually enjoy it, the same as when I bought it on VHS in 2000 and DVD in 2004, but I guess I've never really noticed how much it benefits from being viewed in home surroundings where you can brows the internet on your laptop/phone, get up for a cup of tea, get distracted by something else, and then re-focus back to it when the more interesting moments start.

The main reason I saw it though was to see how good the 3D was, to help me decide if I should see episodes 2-6. Several times I was watching a scene or a particular shot and just out of curiosity lifted my glasses to see if anything actually was happening.

It wasn't.

Sometimes the 3D was quite good, particularly during model explosions with debris flying everywhere, and if you're like me and you can't stand it when a director uses the technology to have stuff flying out of the screen at you, you should be pleased to know that it's only really used to add depth.

Trouble is, apart from a few moments in the podrace, there really isn't much depth at all. The lightsabre fight at the end for instance seemed to have less depth than most other moments in the film.

A shame.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 37
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 13/2/2012 3:44:04 PM   
JediBobster

"Don't you think he should watch them in the right order though?" - horribleives.

Surely, starting with Episode 1 - he did. I did the same with children when the Prequels were originally released. As Star Wars is the big one for me, I mulled this over for a very long time. I took the risk. Sure it meant that the big announcement at the end of Empire wouldn't be such a revelation, but the pay-off to that was the total shell-shocking of Revenge of the Sith. They were in tears by the end of Sith, their heroes either killed, beaten or child-killers. Yikes.

I don't regret it for one second, sure it changed their point of view to New Hope, Empire and Jedi, but in a totally fascinating way. And they still reacted strongly to the end of Empire.

If you have a child of perfect age to see The Phantom Menace and they haven't seen a Star Wars film then go take them. The two children I took back in the day now love all the films in different ways and one of them rates A New Hope and Attack of the Clones as faves, the other The Phantom Menace (she loved Qui-Gon and he was her first ever big cinematic death) and Return of the Jedi. Funnily enough the two 'darker' installments favoured by most not mentioned, although that's not to say they dislike them by any means.

It's sad to see so much hatred bubble up in the light of this 3D release, but to those more open-minded individuals, esp those with children, then go see The Phantom Menace. Then go see The Muppets.

JEDI BOBSTER

< Message edited by JediBobster -- 13/2/2012 3:54:56 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 38
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 14/2/2012 12:25:50 AM   
jobloffski

Numerical first timers have many, many things in store that we didn't have...knowledge of such things as...

Leia is taken prisoner, and tortured by her own father.
Luke seeming to be having the same upbringing as his father
Owen lies to Luke about his father
Kenobi lying to to Luke about his father

Etc, and if they have 'bought into' the prequels, Kenobi being old is a shock, Kenobi's death at Anakin's hands is bigger, Anakin unwittingly trying to kill his own son, pretty much everything has an extra frisson. Empire is even darker because the jedi are lying to luke every step of the way, Luke's reaction to finding out vader is his father is a much bigger moment because rather than the ONE big shock being sacrificed ruining the film, numerical first timers have been waiting for nearly two whole films for him to find out, and his sense of betrayal by Kenobi and Yoda is bigger.

And for all the pickable holes in the prequels, the plot holes created by watching 4-6 first then seeing backstory that doesn't gel becomes what happened happened and everything that made Anakin fall to the dark side (believing the jedi were lying to him, his doom being the resultt of impetuously and arrogantly taking it upon himself to save the ones he loves seems, as the films did originally, seem to be leading Luke down the same path.

The lack of focus on Anakin in the prequels, becoming total focus on him by the end, flows relatively smoothly into the more character focused 4-6, the slow start to ANH follows absolute chaos in Sith, The prequels eventually become Anakin's story, the oldies then continue in that vein. So rather than the (jar) jarring change in tone from oldies to prequels, there is stylistic flow.

Effectively, having seen the originals first then the prequels is more problematic all round than 1-6 and 1-6 means that even when Luke is killing everybody in sight to save Han, which was not given a second thought originally, after Anakin has also been seen, dressed in black, with a robotic hand, killing everybody in sight at the end of Sith to save someone close to him, the flavour or Luke being on the same road to ruin as his father, with only the very ending thwarting that path, is more palpable.

All 'from a certain point of view' of course, as well as being very generous to the perceived faults in the films about which I have not exactly been generous before.

Completing the circle (ahem) the sight sounds and events in TPM, if they are the first SW you have ever seen are more entertaining, because all those things we had already seen, and wanted the new films to recapture as we saw them as kids, don;t even exist, making TPM more of a wondrous experience to the first timer.

And, handled with fists of ham it might have been, but the enonomic/political stuff (taxation of a federal system and constituent parts of a republic wanting to break away are rather more pertinent things to the USA (where some people do want their states to break away) and trade blockades/disputes are rather pertinent in being what causes wars, given the number of them that are about control of resources)). These elements are for the mature mind, the kids just see all the weird aliens and things floating around and ear catching sound mixes. And things being the will of the force just get accepted, as does the whole midi-chlorians thing, because that shows slavish reliance on technology over spirit/belief/faith in instinct/feelings, which eventually become the things that are the deciding factor in the outcome of the saga. Brushing off Anakin's dreams about his mother, without even looking into whether the fucking chosen one might be perceiving something real was slavish following of established tradition, and sticking to that, without compromise, destroys every organisation that does that, eventually.

So I guess I'm saying that I'm more willing to accept Lucas knew what he was doing than many are. Liking what he has done is not something that automatically follows, but I'm prepared to accept Lucas is totally entitled to ignore the shit he gets for what he has done with the films, because stepping back from picking on the individual bits people don't like and looking at the broader picture does suggest (to me at least) that there was a grand plan at work rather than random pulling of ideas from the rectum.

Anyway, blah blah blah, etc, in TPM, Qui Gon is the kind of Jedi that Luke will eventually become, his ways are seen as defiance, and it costs the jedi a very great deal, they try to make Luke do exactly what he is told, he wont have it, and triumphs, having more willingness to see the good in his father that his mother saw than Kenobi and Yoda, who are still clinging to the past and therefore aren't open to the possibility they might be wrong (yadder yader yadder)

Which in this 'revised' perspective on the saga makes TPM much more than a bunch of seemingly random shite. Unless you simply cannot divorce memories of the oldies from what chronologically comes first, and imagine seeing TPM through the eyes of a child who has never, ever, seen anything like it.

You must unlearn what you have learned...

Or I can go to hell along with allegedly childhood destroying George Lucas

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 14/2/2012 12:37:48 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 39
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 14/2/2012 9:00:13 AM   
horribleives

But when you get to part four everyone suddenly has seventies haircuts.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 40
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 14/2/2012 9:40:01 AM   
jobloffski

Coming sooon, as GL originally intended: Star Wars Ep IV: A New Haircut...

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 41
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 14/2/2012 9:50:00 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Coming sooon, as GL originally intended: Star Wars Ep IV: A New Haircut...

Actually, all those pudding bowls, bouffants and sideburns would probably look quite cool after the disastrous barnets sported by Christensen, McGregor et al.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 42
"Weesa no caren aboots da Naboo" - 14/2/2012 9:53:45 AM   
There_Is_No_Spoon

The best way to watch this film is to ignore every scene and every line of dialogue with includes the Gungans. They're not needed at all.
The bit where they first meet, the underwater meeting, the underwater fish chase - All pointless. Even the final battle doesn't need them.
The Phantom Menace doesn't need 3D, it needs a Director's Cut.
Snip all Gungans out and you lose about 40mins running time, the pace will pick up and suddenly you have 3-4 star movie again...

Post #: 43
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 14/2/2012 10:02:28 AM   
jobloffski

Well, if 'the kids' can accept there being no droid armies with the only explanation being that the off switch for ALL of them was pressed at the end of Sith and and nobody ever thinks 'don't have your shield generator outside the thing need a shield generated for cos whoever you're trying to shield yourself from will try to blow it up' the haircuts will be a breeze, an 'in sci fi, nobody ever thinks the fashion of the day will have changed in a different time' funky disco breeze

Post #: 44
RE: Just as shit as it was 13 years ago. - 14/2/2012 7:15:44 PM   
Jim Bob

quote:

quote:

The lure of getting the Complete Saga Blu-ray (and all the extras) for half-price during Best Buy's closing down sale proved too much, so having the PT discs at my disposal I thought I'd give them a second chance. As stated in original post, I made it through 40 minutes before logging onto the 'bay...I didn't even make it to the remains of the OT and the bonus content. However, I got back more than I spent and it gave me closure. So yes, Star Wars and George Lucas don't need me....but what's more important, I no longer need George Lucas and Star Wars.

Post #: 45
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D Review - 14/2/2012 10:55:45 PM   
the film man

So I went to see The Phantom Menace in 3D and you know what, it was worse than I remember.

Post #: 46
Bad George...!! - 15/2/2012 10:46:55 AM   
waltham1979

Why the fuck would I want to see Jar Jar Binks in 3D?? Lucas stop milking the Star Wars teat; its dry already!!

Post #: 47
TPM-3D is a bad frozen pizza - 19/2/2012 9:32:48 PM   
Billinxs

To quote a completely unrelated movie (Threesome) - "Sex is like pizza, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good". Phantom Menace is a truely awful movie - very bad acting(despite the talent), very bad script, non-existent/nonsensical plot and uninteresting special effects, BUT it is a Star Wars movie, so it is a lot like a pizza, albeit a bad frozen one.... As for 3D.... the only parts of the movie that had 3D depth where with people standing around talking... boring... At one stage I took off the glasses and it didn't lose a lot. Hopefully by the time we get to Star Wars (the real one/Episode 4/New Hope/The one where Han should shoot first) they will have worked out how to do an interesting conversion that uses 3D to it's full potential.

Post #: 48
RE: TPM-3D is a bad frozen pizza - 21/2/2012 11:03:29 PM   
threshold

ďDonít worry, the forceíll guide usĒ

That quote completely sums up George Lucasí approach to his scripting of the most disappointing movie in the saga. (Yet, it sadly has highest box office for the prequels) He mustíve been so proud of being able to figure out an admittedly decent story, that he totally forgot about the scripting itself. There is a difference between simple dialogue and simplistic dialogue; and George hasnít figured that out yet.

George (Itís interesting people refer to him by his first name, as if he hasnít yet earned enough respect to be called Lucas ala Spielberg, Cronenberg) obviously wrote the script keeping in mind half the audience would be under 12, but in doing so, he really stretches the limits of how far space operaís believability can go. The amount of twists and turns are all made in dialogue, feels like it was a 150 million dollar production of The Bold and the Beautiful. The amounts of coincidences, obligatory scenes and oddly, scenes that shouldíve been in there, but were left to the imagination, were so astounding that I thought George finished one draft and called it a day.

All of the actors were obviously put off by the tone, but it really shows how much skill they have if they can make the lines believable let alone dish them out with gravitas. Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson and Ian Mcdiarmid all pull of their shoddy dialogue as if they are booming Shakespeare, while poor Natalie Portman is left looking confused at the very best. Donít get me started on whoever plays Anakin.

The action scenes are always good, and Iíd be lying if I said thatís not what I came for. And itís a pity that the trade federation etc couldíve been an interesting addition to the world of Star Wars if George hadnít f***ed it up.
When watching this movie in relation to the other prequels, this movie seems necessary, but by itself itís pretty dodgy.
2/5

OK, now that Iíve got that out of the way, I can say the experience of re-watching Star Wars was incredible. This was the cinematic experience for nerds in the year of 2012.. The building excitement started with caped men trying to buy tickets with the phrase Ďmeesa wanna buy Georgeís new movie ticketsí without bursting out into laughter. As me and my Star Wars friends were giggling with anticipation for the experience of a shoddy fun time, we figured out that most of these hooded freaks were bringing children to carry on their legacy. We only hoped they had shown the originals before showing them this.

The energized conversations as we sat in the cinemas before and during the trailers ranged from hilarious to intriguing. My personal favourites included:
ď3D wonít help the scriptĒ
ď Ahmed Best has no career because of this movie, I checked his IMDBĒ
ďThis is the most incredible disappointment EVER!!!!Ē

Suddenly the lights dimmed and the 20th Century Fox fanfare sounded. Everyone gave it immediate respect and silence knowing this noise had preceded some of their favourite memories and have been associated with them every since. Then silence. Suddenly the first second of the Star Wars soundtrack blared through the speakers everyone cheered, hollered, and clapped. Star Wars was a force to be reckoned with.
Then we forgot about the actual movie. Ok, the dialogue is the worst aspect about it, but it did have its advantages. The children were silent. They were exploring these quite laboured conversations. They seemed particularly entranced by Qui-Gonís explanation of Midiclorians.

While it was fun watching the action scenes with a couple of friends, just sitting through frankly boring conversations was so hard to not fall asleep (seriously, from when they land on Coruscant to when they go back to Naboo has got to be the shortest piece of film that seems long) but the worst aspect (or greatest?) of re-watching Phantom Menace is having to endure Anakinís acting. People go on and on about Hayden Christenson, but did they completely forget about this child actor? COME ON!!! Of course the biggest laugh in the cinema was when Anakin said ďAre you an angel?Ē, but the laughs didnít stop there. Many a laugh was to be had at the level of audience participation. During the frankly epic fight between Darth Maul, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, the majority of the audience were humming (or duh-duh-ing) to Duel of the fates. It was a glorious experience.

When the end credits came up everyone attempted another exuberant clap, but it just felt a bit forced. We had just re-visited the biggest failure of our expectations, and the pain felt all too real. Still itís always nice to see Star Wars on the big screen again. Iíll wait until 2014 to watch Revenge Of The Sith in 3D. (I always skip 2)

Experience 4/5
Movie: 2/5

(in reply to Billinxs)
Post #: 49
RE: Strange - 22/2/2012 10:41:55 AM   
Jasper_29

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ledbowie

I remember Empires review of this film in 1999 when it was first released - I think it got at least 4 stars! This dropped a star on the blu-ray release, but now only 2!

Anyway I don't think its that bad (as with all Star Wars Movies, Mr Lucas's involvement is the lowpoint), and I enjoy the dignity brought by Liam Neesons character.

3 out of 5 for me!

Maybe this is one of those films that gets worse and worse with age.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to Ledbowie)
Post #: 50
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 1:38:20 PM   
Super Hans

I don't think I've actually watched The Phantom Menace properly since it was released at the cinema and I've never really felt the urge to since.

I'm not sure I'll bother with any of the prequels on these re-releases, but if the 3D fad hasn't worn off by the time they get round to episodes IV-VI, I'd love to see them on the big screen.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 51
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 3:31:26 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

What I donít get is the fact that so many people (not necessarily people on this board) disliked The Phantom Menace when it originally came out, are the same bunch that are throwing there cash away at this new "3D" experience, and then coming back and complaining that The Phantom Menace is still just as crap as it was before hand. What did they expect?,a new movie?.

Arrghhh

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 52
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 7:59:58 PM   
juanvasquez

I enjoyed it. Always have done. What I didn't enjoy was the ticket price. What a fucking scandal! Last 3D film I'll be watching (until episode II ).

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 53
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 9:05:31 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The children wanted to watch this when they woke up on saturday morning, so I stuck the DVD on and i watched it half-asleep with them. Then, later that day, when I took them to see The Muppets and they noticed the posters in the cinema for TPM, well, they'd just watched it. No arguing.

Sorted.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 54
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 9:28:46 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

What I don't get is the fact that so many people (not necessarily people on this board) disliked The Phantom Menace when it originally came out, are the same bunch that are throwing there cash away at this new "3D" experience, and then coming back and complaining that The Phantom Menace is still just as crap as it was before hand. What did they expect?,a new movie?.

Arrghhh

Yeah it does make you wonder why some people bother? If they dont like the movie, fair enough.But going to see a movie they didnt like before again at a high ticket price in 3D, what were they expecting? Its especially bizarre since its a film thats readily available on dvd/blu ray.

No wonder Lucas doesnt take the haters seriously.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 55
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 9:41:29 PM   
Hood_Man

Maybe they're giving it a second chance on the big screen?

Post #: 56
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 9:41:36 PM   
Hood_Man

[EDIT]

Sorry, double post. Stupid Forum Internal Server Error...

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 23/2/2012 9:42:13 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 23/2/2012 9:41:53 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

What I don't get is the fact that so many people (not necessarily people on this board) disliked The Phantom Menace when it originally came out, are the same bunch that are throwing there cash away at this new "3D" experience, and then coming back and complaining that The Phantom Menace is still just as crap as it was before hand. What did they expect?,a new movie?.

Arrghhh

Yeah it does make you wonder why some people bother? If they dont like the movie, fair enough.But going to see a movie they didnt like before again at a high ticket price in 3D, what were they expecting? Its especially bizarre since its a film thats readily available on dvd/blu ray.

No wonder Lucas doesnt take the haters seriously.

Couldn't agree more. Talk about gluttons for punishment.

Post #: 58
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 26/2/2012 11:51:28 PM   
piginapoke

Was planning to see this at the Giant Screen in Birmingham, but good job it finished there before I spent over the odds. I saw it at a conventional Odeon and the first 3/4 were meh as they were before, but the space battles and maul v jedi fight were exhilirating.

3D was OK, not really advancing the experience much. The only blatant 3D effect I saw was Anakin grabbing for a pod race cable during the pod racing. But at the end I noticed the 3D made the characters look like cardboard cutouts in front of the backdrop, so in that case, 3D actually worked against itself and I wished for depth less 2D.

Hopefully the Geonosis asteroid chase will show off 3D well but I'm not convinced at this moment in time.

Films seen this year

Wreck it Ralph - 3/5
Evil Dead 3/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 59
RE: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D - 27/2/2012 9:08:04 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Maybe they're giving it a second chance on the big screen?

I tried to give it another punt...and was more disapppointed. To explain (and I apologize in advance)...

When I went to see it the first time the cinema was in deathly silence in anticipation when the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."appeared...you could almost feel the tension, 100's of people waiting for that fanfare to start, waiting for Star Wars to smash onto the screen...however that was broken when a guy yelled out "I've seen this one".

The whole cinema pissed themselves with laughter; literally 100's of people burst into unison in hysterics (you probably had to be there). Sadly for all of us, that was as good as the whole experience got.

Just a bad bad film, their is no other way of putting it. Badly scripted, badly acted (the quote "you can write this shit George, but doesn't mean you can say it" has never been more apt) and even the action sequences are, in my opinion, not too much to write home about.

The 'epic' battle at the end between Darth Maul and the two jedi is criminally short (several sequences are the same just from different angles to stretch it out a little longer) and has their ever been a worse child actor on screen? Ever? I'm sure he is a sweet kid but who the fuck cast him? Who watched an audition with him in and said "yes, thats the kid who shall eventually become one of the greatest villians in cinema history".

The original genius three have been ruined by adding pointless special effects and sequences (Greedo shooting first?!!?!? You utter utter bastard!!!!!!!) and now they are going to be in 3D as well which means if I am dragged to the cinema with my son to watch them†(which I think he is going to have to do at knife point) I am going to have to put up with Storm Troopers with New Zealand accents...what the fuck!!!!!!

Just please please George, I am begging you...just stop!! As I said before, the Star Wars teat has run dry with you in the directors chair. Produce a 7th film if you have too but please please pony up the money then go on holiday for a few months. Take some time off, you've earnt it.

You destroyed Indianna Jones and you've destroyed Star Wars...fucking CGI monkeys* and Jar Jar Binks - kiss my arse!!

Rant over.

*I know that strictly speaking wasn't George but still, he was involved at some point in the process.

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 31/8/2012 4:42:22 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Just as shit as it was 13 years ago. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI