Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The River Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The River - 8/2/2012 10:47:14 AM   
elab49

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836195/combined

So, apparently no UK channel has picked this up (possibly with good reason) but it is the only time I've come across where we can legally DL a TV show (via Itunes) in tune with the US transmission. So I thought I'd have a look as a legal option is always the best one. I have bought them but only one problem - 2gb an episode is just not on IMO. I'm not wiping out a chunk of my fair use agreement for 1.5 hours of dubious US TV. At this point I'm tempted to go find a smaller file, happy in the fact I've actually paid.

Edit - or ignore the fact it automatically takes you to an HD page and hides a little thing if you want SD down in the corner. 600mb - far more reasonable. Now just to see if the show is.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 8/2/2012 12:01:44 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: The River - 8/2/2012 12:18:43 PM   
shool

I've actually just sent to torrent it as it sounds an interesting show.

Any reviews yet? Not sure to cancel on the dubious news that its free.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: The River - 8/2/2012 12:21:02 PM   
shool

Found one here. Actually seems to be pretty good.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/the-river-abc-tv-review-286784

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 3
RE: The River - 8/2/2012 12:55:53 PM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

You got me all excited then - thinking I could get it for free from iTunes. Its £12.99 for the HD season pass.

Elab - look forward to your review.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 4
RE: The River - 8/2/2012 1:45:03 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

You got me all excited then - thinking I could get it for free from iTunes. Its £12.99 for the HD season pass.

Elab - look forward to your review.

I misread Elabs post.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 5
RE: The River - 8/2/2012 10:47:58 PM   
Captain Black

Based on just the first episode (two have been shown), this show is....strange.

It's basically a found footage horror show, where a group go to the Amazon to look for the missing Emmet Cole, host of a ridiculously popular nature show. The backstory is introduced in a really broad manner, and it all works quite well - the rest of it is shot handheld, though they make the sensible decision to not have the cameramen characters be responsible for all of the footage. This is okay too, but anyone with an aversion handheld stuff should be wary here: it's potentially headache inducing, especially later on during the climactic sequence which also has some really frantic editing. The actors are a largely recognisable group of "Hey it's that guy" supporting types, though I don't think the lead is very good - I'm guessing he's English as he's constantly trying really hard with his accent, and it's just forced and makes him sound odd.

I really don't think it'll be for everyone, but overall I thought it was okay and gives the impression they've got a few ideas about where to take it.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 6
RE: The River - 9/2/2012 7:50:57 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836195/combined

So, apparently no UK channel has picked this up (possibly with good reason) but it is the only time I've come across where we can legally DL a TV show (via Itunes) in tune with the US transmission. So I thought I'd have a look as a legal option is always the best one. I have bought them but only one problem - 2gb an episode is just not on IMO. I'm not wiping out a chunk of my fair use agreement for 1.5 hours of dubious US TV. At this point I'm tempted to go find a smaller file, happy in the fact I've actually paid.

Edit - or ignore the fact it automatically takes you to an HD page and hides a little thing if you want SD down in the corner. 600mb - far more reasonable. Now just to see if the show is.

Its a good service ABC and iTunes are running, allowing you to watch their shows straight after being shown in the States. Currently Castle season 4 is available on there as well I believe.

Just purchased the series pass on iTunes, thought I'd give it a try came to about £5 cheaper compared to buying all 8 episodes individually.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: The River - 9/2/2012 7:56:05 PM   
MI Cruise

Just watched the first two episodes, and although the first one had some good stuff it was pretty slow when compared to the second. There are some shock elements that you would expect from the director of Paranormal Activity but there obviously wont be anything truly 'horrifying' on a network TV show. Im sure the 8 episode order run will be just enough to get people interested in a second season.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 8
RE: The River - 25/9/2012 10:50:57 PM   
elab49

MOre people will get the chance to see this now. SyFy have picked it up and will start showing it early next month according to the ad just on.

I'd recommend watching it. It's one of those which is often both bad and very watchable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 9
RE: The River - 4/10/2012 7:54:42 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Just saw this advertised on Syfy. I think they're showing it right after the new episodes of Haven so I think I'm going to give it a crack....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: The River - 21/11/2012 12:18:50 PM   
captain jack harknes

Has anybody stuck with this? I watched episode 6 last night and I've really enjoyed the entire series up to now, I'm looking forward to see how they conclude it.

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 11
RE: The River - 21/11/2012 12:44:41 PM   
elab49

I was wondering if anyone had given it a look - the thread went awful quiet 

quote:

(in reply to captain jack harknes)
Post #: 12
RE: The River - 21/11/2012 11:04:16 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I was wondering if anyone had given it a look - the thread went awful quiet 

I've stuck with it, it's definitely improved, but still hit and miss. Not helped by not knowing what it is from one ep to the next. Just seen the penultimate ep, and it seemed like a bizzare mix between that Richard Gere film Dragonfly and Resident Evil. But 8 eps is a nice manageable amount of eps for something like this - 20+ and I would have dropped it after the first couple I think.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The River Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI