Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

80 Reasons Why John Williams Is The Man

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 80 Reasons Why John Williams Is The Man Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
80 Reasons Why John Williams Is The Man - 7/2/2012 4:41:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
JOURNEY TO THE ISLAND - 7/2/2012 4:41:42 PM   
LaughingNabashin

Jurassic Park (1993). 8 minutes 51 seconds of true movie magic. I get goosebumps everytime during that part of the film, and I have it full volume when I'm walking home from work. Happy 80th Birthday John! You frickin' genius!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Catch Me If You Can? - 7/2/2012 5:26:23 PM   
MartinHeron

Perhaps the opening credits were more memorable from a visual perspective but the theme is still worthy of inclusion here.

Post #: 3
- 7/2/2012 8:46:03 PM   
Moviegeek1976

total legend.

Post #: 4
The Raiders March - 7/2/2012 9:41:31 PM   
cathalomiochain

Anyone who can compose the iconic themes for Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Superman, Close Encounters and Jaws is clearly a legend.
The Raiders March is personally important to me. My wife, without discussing it with me, chose this piece for when we were walking down the aisle after we got married. Her brother even presented me with a fedora :)

Post #: 5
Yub Nub! - 7/2/2012 10:00:55 PM   
Scruffybobby

Great tune to finish on. Far better than the one that replaced it. So many great pieces here but you could easily come up with another 80. Leia's theme would need to be on that one.

Post #: 6
Wrong - 7/2/2012 10:14:15 PM   
chimbers22

Born on the 4th July wasn't released in 1982. it was released in 1989. thought you guys were movie geeks?

Post #: 7
Great tribute... - 7/2/2012 10:57:56 PM   
Stanley Mann

...but I have to correct you on the Sugarland Express theme and Thielemans contribution; he's Belgian, not Dutch ;)

Here's hoping Mr. Williams has a lot more still in store for us!!!

Post #: 8
Here's to another 80 years - 8/2/2012 12:49:36 AM   
GrassyNol

Two disappointments were omissions of the last twenty minutes worth of empire strikes back. The reason that film is regarded as the best in the star wars franchise is its finale. The other is the prisoner of Azkaban there are at least twelve tracks worth mentioning. If you ever buy a Williams soundtrack buy these two I promise you its the best things he's done as an entire soundtrack since the first star wars a new hope 35 years ago.

Post #: 9
- 8/2/2012 5:43:21 AM   
artaylor

that was amazing. thank you empire

Post #: 10
Soundtrack of us - 8/2/2012 9:24:05 AM   
Pelle

The importance of Williams as a greatest composer of our times - and I mean OUR - is confirmed simply by the grounds of those tracks. Just close your eyes and listen to them. And you can see the movies right there in your head. It's all you need.

Post #: 11
Brings tear to the eye - 8/2/2012 10:04:15 AM   
oliraceking

What wonderful nostalgia. Skipping through decades of my emotional development through movies and Williams' music! So glad you mentioned the importance of Home Alone (it's our family's staple Xmas album). By the time we got to War Horse, that's it - I'm in pieces! Only snag is the general oversight of AI. Stored Memories/Monica's Theme is the most beautiful piece he wrote IMO (the slow beginning builds up to hauntingly beautiful & understated climax). And Catch Me If You Can, which has many great cues. But thanks Empire fo collating this for us. Made my day :-)

Post #: 12
Wonderful Piece Empire - 8/2/2012 10:10:17 AM   
Blyman

Written with real heart and knowledge. Big salute to Sir John!

Post #: 13
A true poet and a genius - 8/2/2012 10:17:30 AM   
mattpbrown

John WIlliams means more to me than any figure in either movies or music. Good feature Empire!

Post #: 14
Great Feature - 8/2/2012 11:24:54 AM   
magikdethmonkey

This has to be one of the best features you have ever done Empire, congratulations! Although justifiably, it could just be Williams' music that makes it so great! Happy birthday to one of the greatest composers we'll ever know.

Post #: 15
Hook - 8/2/2012 11:28:36 AM   
buffy_1008

One of my favorites must be "The Face of Pan", from the Hook soundtrack. Not very famous but still, simply beautiful.

Post #: 16
Great selection - 8/2/2012 11:58:37 AM   
Dropje

The Witches of Eastwick, The Fury, Amazing Stories AND The Mission ?

Dear Empire ... I'm impressed !

Post #: 17
Floods of Tears - 8/2/2012 12:00:26 PM   
mcmikeyboy

Having sat and listened to all the excerpts and read this whole blog I am a total mess tears of joy and emotion on my face. The word genius is vastly overused about people with little more than mediocre talent at best, but in John William's case I think it doesn't even come close to describing him. He simply is the one of the greatest musicians and composers alive.

Post #: 18
The Best Feature of 2012 so far! - 8/2/2012 12:10:56 PM   
haydonsmovies

Kudos Empire - this truly is a fitting feature for one of Cinema's most important figures.
A film is nothing without it's music and it's Williams who fills that void so beautifully, so emotionally and so wonderfully.
Rarely do pictures move me to tears, but a Williams score can have me sobbing like a 15 year-old girl watching The Notebook.

Post #: 19
RE: The Best Feature of 2012 so far! - 9/2/2012 8:02:56 AM   
John Mulder Simpson

It's been a long time since I posted here. but this feature is so good!!! I can't start to describe how much I love and admire John Williams, how grateful I am to live in his era (although he is 50 years older than me!!) For me it all began when i was 11 and watched Jurassic Park, now i have more than 40 albums and he never fails to surprise and move me. I owe him SO much! and this year he gave us War Horse, a magnificent and perfect album that is 100% Williams, god how I love that soundtrack!!!!

I just can't pick a favorite of his, everything he's done is so close to perfection. man, to think of everything he's done and everything i haven't heard....

I posted a link to this feature on facebook, and i recommended it to everyone, let's all do the same so the whole world knows how lucky we are to have him!!!!!!!

finally: THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MAESTRO, FOR YOUR ENDLESS AND RESTLESS TALENT, I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to haydonsmovies)
Post #: 20
Favorite tunes that dont appear here - 9/2/2012 8:36:36 AM   
John Mulder Simpson

Visitor in San Diego (from Jurassic Park The Lost World): Pure adrenaline!!!!
Dartmoor 1912 (From War Horse)
The Battle of Hoth (do I need to tell you???)
Dinner With Amelia (The Terminal)
Sabrina's Theme (just BEAUTIFUL)
Anakin's Dark Deeds (Episode III) EPIC of epic epicness!!!!!!
Where Dreams Are Born (A.I) maybe the most BEAUTIFUL track he's ever written!!! i cant helpto cry EVERYTIME)
Confluence (MEmoirs of a Geisha) perfect... just perfect in allthe extent of the word
THE ENTIRE MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, for me his best album EVER!!!
Exsultate Justi (Empire Of The Sun) aleluyah!!!!
Homesickness (The Terminal)
Am I Beautiful? (Far& Away)
Aunt Marge's Waltz (Azkaban)
A Window To The Past (Azkaban)
Dennis Steals The Embryo (Jurassic Park)
The Trek (JP: The Lost World)
Rescuing Sarah (JP: The Lost World)
Ludlow's Demise (JP: The Lost World)
Jango's Escape (Episode II)
Princess Leia's Theme
Luke And Leia
Battle Of The Heroes (Episode III)
The Battle Of Endor
Sail Barge Assaul (Return of the jedi)
The Reunion (War Horse)
The PArty Sequence (Sabrina)

And many, many, many more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 21
The force is with him... - 9/2/2012 9:15:14 AM   
melverley

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the term 'genius' as "exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability". Although used far too often these days, John Williams REALLY is a genius and I thank him for the many years of great music he has given me (man and boy). Happy Birthday John ...and many more of them.

Post #: 22
FLASHMAN - 9/2/2012 10:52:49 AM   
Frank Comiskey

He simply has no equal; nobody else has ever treated every-single film as though it was a first assignment that needed special attention, (unless you knew, how would you know that the guy who did Heartbeeps also did Jane Eyre and, his masterpiece, Superman?) and when he is inspired by what he sees, (most recently by War Horse) we are elated.

Post #: 23
The Greatest - 9/2/2012 12:17:13 PM   
Ballschin

Undoubtedly the greatest movie composer of all time. My only gripe with this list is the exclusion of The Lost World's main theme. I believe this is actually Spielberg's favourite piece from all the Jurassic Park music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6Xk5p9MpQ&feature=related

Post #: 24
Missed one! - 9/2/2012 12:40:50 PM   
dimitrifiani

You should've added 'A Window to the Past' from 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban'

Post #: 25
Final Duel mistake....... - 9/2/2012 5:56:59 PM   
jws1272

When Luke comes out of hiding, after accidentally revealing Leia's paternity to Vader, he doesn't say "Nooooooo!", he defiantly yells "NEVER!!!" before ending the climactic duel...

Interestingly enough, that bit of music was also used in the final duel in the Lucasarts game Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

Post #: 26
At no point... - 10/2/2012 6:27:08 PM   
Swedle

...in my life have i come so close to orgasm just from an Empire feature.

Post #: 27
RE: At no point... - 10/2/2012 9:06:48 PM   
JIm R

Best on line feature you have ever done Empire, please ensure this is always available to listen too, A true master at work.

(in reply to Swedle)
Post #: 28
- 11/2/2012 3:32:25 AM   
howie71taylor

A master composer and what a back catalogue.

Did you know Tottenham Hotspur FC walk out to "Duel Of The Fates" for every home game?

Post #: 29
A Humble Genius - 11/2/2012 4:26:00 AM   
ddumbell

Having had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago, he was most humble when I thanked him for the joy he he brought to my life. He said it was his pleasure. From Star Wars to War Horse, no one has brought more to the world of film music than John Williams, and may he continue to produce masterpieces for many years to come. Thank you Empire for THE BEST FEATURE EVER!!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 80 Reasons Why John Williams Is The Man Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI