Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form Their Own Nation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form Their Own Nation Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form Their... - 6/2/2012 10:30:24 PM   
Timon

Now this sounds interesting.

Emmy winner Andre Braugher is set to lead the ensemble cast of ABC’s drama pilot Last Resort, executive produced by Shawn Ryan and written-executive produced by Karl Gajdusek.

The Sony TV-produced project centers on the crew of the U.S.S. Nevada, a nuclear submarine, who, after disobeying a suspicious order, become fugitives. They land on the island of Sainte Marina, where they take over the NATO Listening Station and declare themselves an independent nuclear nation.

Braugher will play Capt. Marcus Chaplin, the commander of the U.S.S. Nevada, a veteran of real combat, a leader by nature and a patriot, but will not follow any man blindly.

I think this could be excellent if done well.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 13/9/2012 10:44:38 PM   
Captain Black

Pilot's out.

I'm not sure what to make of it. It's fairly well executed, at least from a production point of view, but it's also a little too much packed into its run time, and fair chunks of it are forced in order to push the set up home. Inorganic is the word that springs to mind, though it is an entertaining hour of TV and I imagine it'll be the best of the network dramas to debut.

Easily the best thing about it is, perhaps obviously, Andre Braugher, who is just a strong screen presence he can sell pretty much anything (and at times, he has to). His potential character arc offers the series its best chance to become something of an altogether higher calibre going forward, depending on where they choose to take it and how much they're willing to push your average network viewer.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 14/9/2012 9:00:40 AM   
Timon

It is?! I'm on it!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 3
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 14/9/2012 4:10:18 PM   
Zaphod121

Anything with Shawn Ryan's name on it and I'm in, still miss TERRIERS.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 15/9/2012 12:14:47 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

I thought the pilot was alright, but by and large too many wooden performances. Something very B-movie about the whole thing. Only really clicked for me when Braugher filmed his message at the end.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 5
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 15/9/2012 12:15:42 PM   
SWOTBM

Where did you see the pilot CB? I just had a look at Wikipedia and they say the release date is the 27th of September (anything on Wikipedia is FACT )

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 6
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 15/9/2012 3:22:43 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Where did you see the pilot CB? I just had a look at Wikipedia and they say the release date is the 27th of September (anything on Wikipedia is FACT )

They've released it online early. Assume it's locked to US users, but it's in all the usual places.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 7
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 15/9/2012 8:07:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

I thought the pilot was alright, but by and large too many wooden performances. Something very B-movie about the whole thing. Only really clicked for me when Braugher filmed his message at the end.

Same here. Braugher is a bad-ass, glad he's got a show and I hope it does well for him.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 8
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 16/9/2012 8:17:41 PM   
Timon

Anyone know where I can acquire a version that's an mp4 rather than a mlv?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 26/9/2012 11:50:47 PM   
musht

Anyone else catch the first episode of this (US speed).

It were bloody good. The trailer had be thinking it was going to be Noah's Island for adults put it was so much more than that. The writing was good as was the acting. Can't wait for the next episode

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 27/9/2012 10:15:28 AM   
Timon

I actually really enjoyed it. Braugher was the right side of slightly unstable and the supporting cast were solid enough.

Plus Autumn Reeser is cropping up in everything these days... not that I mind.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 3/10/2012 12:42:27 AM   
elab49

Ditto. Easily the best of the pilots I've seen so far even if it the rush through the relationships at the start was a bit cursory. Tense, decent action, generally well-acted as well (even Speedman didn't make too much of a clunk at the attempt). Some potential conflicts set up as well - how far into crazy will Braugher go and a future conflict with the XO.

Basically the only bit that jarred was a couple of lines in the speech at the end (really badly too - it was very much WE'RE SENDING A MESSAGE!!!!!stuff) but Braugher delivered so brilliantly it was almost instantly forgiven.

I'm not entirely sure how it will sustain unless it includes some smart writing on global politics but I'll be tuning in next week to see.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 12/10/2012 12:46:23 PM   
elab49

While not perfect I'm still having more fun with this than any of the other new series so far. As usual however the bad news is that apparently the ratings are bad. Of course they are - it's shit that floats. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 12/10/2012 11:47:04 PM   
musht

I'm really enjoying, definitely the best new show for me at the moment, I find it absolutely gripping. The acting and the writing has been great so far but I do wonder they can keep the quality up and at the same time keep it interesting.

If that's true about the ratings (and I've no reason to doubt you) then it's very disappointing news, really hope this survives. In my opinion this is so much better than something like Revolution which is absolutely killing it ratings wise

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 17/10/2012 5:23:57 PM   
elab49

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s200/last-resort/news/a431453/last-resort-to-air-on-sky1-in-the-uk.html

Selling overseas - unfortunately for UK viewers Sky has it.

quote:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 15
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 18/10/2012 10:42:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

Apparently, it's getting cancelled soon- click

Both it and 666 Park Avenue are doing worse in the ratings than Pan Am last season

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 18/10/2012 11:13:24 PM   
musht

That is so disappointing

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 17
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 19/10/2012 11:21:12 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

That is so disappointing

So were episodes 2 & 3 (after an excellent pilot). If it carries on like that, frankly it deserves to be cancelled.

the 'This is MY island' bad guy is ridiculously unthreatening & should have been shot in the face by now.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 18
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 19/10/2012 11:26:53 AM   
elab49

I don't think that would work in the world they've created - it would be too gung-ho unrealistic and out of character for Braugher. This isn't just a one-off drug runner but someone linked in to the life of the island as a whole (see the funeral). It would never be as simple as taking him out, not if they wanted to move about freely on the island without armed guard and peering around every corner.

I kind of thought that was the point it was making - knocking off a figurehead isn't the easy answer it might seem.

quote:

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 19
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 19/10/2012 4:18:08 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

That is so disappointing

So were episodes 2 & 3 (after an excellent pilot). If it carries on like that, frankly it deserves to be cancelled.

the 'This is MY island' bad guy is ridiculously unthreatening & should have been shot in the face by now.

I was actually referring to the news that it might be cancelled. I'm really enjoying this show.

The bad guy is definitely the weak link though, he's badly acted and badly written, how he supposedly got to be a "crime lord" is a joke. Apart from that though I really like and will be sad to see it go.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 20
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 20/10/2012 10:41:49 PM   
BudBaxter

I was aware that was what you were referring to. I was just saying episodes 2 & 3 were shit.

Episode 4 was a bit of a step back in the right direction, mainly because they spent more of the episode on the sub.

As for the 'bad guy', when he turned up at radar station at the beginning of the pilot, I thought he was the local comedy taxi driver, so when he started threatening the US Navy, it was just even funnier!

The central plot is intriguing & it probably would have made a great mini-series, but I've no doubt this'll be dragged out with pointless filler & get cancelled before anything's resolved.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 21
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 30/10/2012 8:39:28 AM   
Base

Starts tonight on Sky but I'm wondering whether to bother if it is just going to be cancelled after a few episodes?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 22
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 30/10/2012 11:16:39 AM   
BudBaxter

Watch the pilot, as it's quite excellent. Just don't bother with the rest of it.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 23
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 1/11/2012 2:10:04 AM   
SWOTBM

Caught up on my Tivo backlog and watched the pilot earlier. It's not bad. I have zero idea of what being on a submarine would be like, or even being in the military (other than what I've seen/read in the media), so I am curious as to how realistic the production is; I'm thinking of the party on the bridge after passing the equator (funny but felt out of place). Also, part of me thinks that is this ever were to occur the US would just nuke the sub anyway. The sub would never target the US mainland and the US government would call their bluff every time.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 24
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 1/11/2012 11:07:33 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Good idea but the acting really bothered me. Shockingly so. The girl who plays the General's daughter, Grace? Scott Speedman, who I usally like came off really bland. I'd watch it for Braugher, Reeser and Patrick (who are always great) but if it's gonna get the chop I don't think I'll bother.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 25
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 1/11/2012 3:23:25 PM   
Wild about Wilder

If it wasn't for Braugher I couldn't see it lasting too long but with him well lets just wait & see?

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 26
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 17/11/2012 12:59:21 AM   
Shifty Bench

It has been axed- click

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 27
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 17/11/2012 1:06:00 AM   
musht

So disappointing. I think this was one of the best new shows this year. It may have been too anti-America for American audiences. What's really annoying is that we probably won't get a conclusive ending.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 28
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 18/11/2012 12:57:02 PM   
Scruffybobby

And I was just getting into it as well..

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 29
RE: Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form T... - 19/11/2012 12:26:46 PM   
Timon

When are the crew of the Colorado going to realise you shouldn't walk around by your own?! It seems one of them is kidnapped every week by the local gang. COB - I expected better. You disappoint me.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Last Resort - Crew Of A US Nuclear Submarine Form Their Own Nation Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI