Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Wonderful!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Wonderful! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wonderful! - 13/3/2012 4:52:21 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Chris Cooper rapping was wonderful. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Only complaint was that it needed more Beaker ,but his rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit was awesome.

Brilliant.

Agree. Best moment in the movie and any funny film in the past year along with the singing chickens!

Barber Shop Quartet: "Here we are now entertainers"

Beaker: Me me me mee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwHoiuCCnrE&feature=related

Not all the songs worked so I can`t give it 5/5 but overall it was a wonderful nostagia trip back to my childhood and a great family film for kids today. 4/5

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 31
RE: Wonderful! - 13/3/2012 7:51:11 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I enjoyed this but at times was just too overly sentimental. Nit picking, I know !

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 32
RE: Wonderful! - 9/4/2012 1:00:57 AM   
moehat

I wanted to leave after the first 20 minutes and wish I had.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 33
RE: The Muppets Review - 12/6/2012 6:00:19 PM   
R W

As the 84th Academy Awards came to an end last Sunday, there were certainly faults with the festival, such as great films like Drive and We Need to Talk About Kevin were hugely ignored. On the positive front, Bret McKenzie walked away with the Best Original Song Award for his humorous and moving song "Man or Muppet". However, months prior to its well-deserved win, there was a debate about would the return of the Muppets be a sensation for audiences of all ages. These guys have been around for over thirty years and have entertained everyone with their show and six films, so can they still make us laugh after all this time? Personally, it's a stupid question, because as far as I am concerned, everyone loves the Muppets!

As the world's biggest Muppet fan, Walter (a man born as a Muppet) is invited by his brother Gary (Jason Segel) and his girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams) to their vacation in Los Angeles, where Walter hopes to visit the Muppet Theater. During a tour around the used-up theater, Walter finds out about the sinister businessman Tex Richman's (Chris Cooper) plan on demolishing the theater to drill for oil. After the surprise meeting with Kermit the Frog, Walter and co must try and get the old band back together and make the greatest Muppet show ever to save their home.

With the story of getting the Muppets back together, Jason Segel and his co-writer Nicholas Stoller (director of Forgetting Sarah Marshall), they seem to be taking its cue from John Landis' brilliant but messy cult musical The Blues Brothers, which was about the old band back together in an attempt to raise enough money for their home. In terms of the narrative, The Muppets is quite episodic as our three heroes, along with Kermit, go from one place to another as they find the Frog's old friends doing different jobs. On the other hand, there is humour all the way, a lot of it is very post-modern, such as the characters suggesting the idea of a montage to speed up the journey, or travel by map to get to Paris.

Directed by the co-creator of the HBO comedy series Flight of the Conchords, James Bobin clearly gets the gag as he understands what makes the Muppets work, as well as cleverly referencing their previous background. Like the great classic musicals from the past, Bobin directs the musical sequences with such vibrancy and brightness, as well as allowing to show the physical performances of the actors who really can sing and dance. Special praise has to go to the songwriter Bret McKenzie whose tracks include "Life's a Happy Song" and the Oscar-winning "Man or Muppet", are clever, cheerful and damn right funny.

After all this time, Kermit and co. are as funny as ever, as individually they have their moments to shine (ie Fozzie Bear wearing fart shoes), but together they are a hoot. While it is a Muppet movie, the human cast are equally good, including Jason Segel who previously has had his up-and-down moments, but here doing a convincing lead performance. Having shown her singing side before in Enchanted, the future Lois Lane Amy Adams is a delightful presence and her side of the story is just as involving. Like The Muppet Show, there are funny cameos throughout from Emily Blunt as Miss Piggy's receptionist to Jack Black who is kidnapped to be the celebrity host for the show, whilst superstars like Whoopi Goldberg and Selena Gomez bring their support by answering the donation calls.

After three decades and the Muppets still know how to entertain us as James Bobin's film is a near-perfect family feast that will appeal to fans, both old and new with its clever in-jokes and touching musical numbers. Jim Henson would be proud!

(in reply to DaleLawson)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Wonderful! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI