Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Ending

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Ending Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Ending - 29/2/2012 1:27:47 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING!

I don't think The Woman in Black did it as a sort of reward. I genuinelly think that she was just trying to take Arthur's son away from him or even kill him as well. She was heard chanting never forgive just before. But rather than be lost forever like the others shes killed Arthur and his son were rescued by his wife, (a Woman in White) who led them to cross over.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure it's worth reading too much into the ending - I think they ended it that way just to make the conclusion a bit more palatable and "Hollywood".  The way it's done in the novel is far more cruel and sinister.  Straight off the bat I noticed that they had made significant changes to Kipps' background and once the ending came around, I realised that it was probably just to give it a more bittersweet ending.

Grumbles about the ending aside (which my sister had warned me about anyway), this was a real good, solid horror film.  Atmospheric, stylish, creepy and scary in all the right places.  Lots of (arguably cheap) scares of the "go on, look closely there's nothing there BOOO MADE YOU SHIT YOURSELF!!"  variety, but plenty of moments that geniunely sent a chill through me too.

If I have any other crticims, it would be that compared to the novel, a lot of mystery was revealed a tad too early.  The book kept me guessing much longer about the truth behind the woman in black and her motives.

Apart from those slight grumbles, well worth watching if you like your ghosty and jumpy!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 31
RE: The Woman In Black - 29/2/2012 5:25:27 PM   
rubadub

About as scary as Rentaghost.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Scares Harry Potter fans - 21/3/2012 1:57:18 AM   
Goodfella

I wasn't going to watch this but I was drawn in by the hype of it, especially the criticism of the BBFC for granting it 12A certificate when many had claimed it to be "quite terrifying." Now, granted, it has it's moments, as cliched as they are, but the suprisingly pleasant thing about the film for me was Daniel Radcliffe's assured performance as Arthur Kips. The jumps are there but predictable, the ending is rather hazy, are they in heaven? Is she "returning the favour" so to speak? And what is that god-awful shot of her looking down into the camera at the end all about, as cliche as cliches come I feel.

I certainly don't get why so many of my 25 year-old male friends posted on Facebook about how they "shit their pants" watching this. It's a traditional ghost story and it's shot well but it's certainly not going to rewrite any history books. Average I'd say.

3/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Ending Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI