Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Whannel & Wan Scare Up Insidious 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Whannel & Wan Scare Up Insidious 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whannel & Wan Scare Up Insidious 2 - 3/2/2012 11:13:46 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
A sequel!?! - 3/2/2012 11:13:46 AM   
dugfinger

The first was bad enough. One of the worst films I saw last year, genuinely terrible in every respect.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Bad idea. - 3/2/2012 11:57:46 AM   
loafroaster

I don't know what dugfinger is smoking, Insidious was a great horror film. But this sounds like a cynical cash-grab to me. Expect neither Wan or Whannel being involved, and prepare for a follow-up that either completely misses the point, or waters down and rehashes the original. Yoda selling phones, Ferris Bueller selling cars, and the complete inability to make a successful movie then move on. Capitalism, it's faaantastic.

Post #: 3
- 3/2/2012 12:22:00 PM   
Whistler

I hate that old woman and I hate that Tiny Tim track! Creep the hell out of me....

Post #: 4
Pap - 3/2/2012 12:58:23 PM   
leetee80

is it me or was the first one pants?!
something tells me I am not going to be watching this one!

Post #: 5
Re: A sequel!!?! - 3/2/2012 3:45:16 PM   
Hands Randall

Dugfinger i wholeheartedly agree. It was badly acted (imo), not scary in the slightest and the 'ghosts' (apart from the old woman) were like something out of a kids programme. Cack.

Post #: 6
Re: A sequel!!?! - 3/2/2012 3:46:12 PM   
Hands Randall

Dugfinger i wholeheartedly agree. It was badly acted (imo), not scary in the slightest and the 'ghosts' (apart from the old woman) were like something out of a kids programme. Cack.

Post #: 7
Re: A sequel!!?! - 3/2/2012 3:46:27 PM   
Hands Randall

Post #: 8
RE: Re: A sequel!!?! - 3/2/2012 5:33:17 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I thought INSIDEOUS managed to be very scary, at least compared to the vast majority of today's horror cinema. There were moments in this film that were deeply unsettling, and upset me even to think about months later! The ending was a little silly (FULL DISCLOSURE: I didn't finish the movie, I turned it off during the last 25 minutes since I'd read that's when it all started to go down hill), but when this movie was in top form during the first half, it excelled at scaring the beejesus outta me. I cite the cinematic technique of using jump scares... But not jump cuts. By suddenly confronting the audience with something horrible, and then refusing to cut away even for a better close up reaction shot of someone cowering in fear, it trapped the audience there in that moment with our characters, there in the house with an impossible, ghastly horror

Specifically I'd point to the scene where Rose Byrne turns around and the baby's room is awash in red light and there is some creepy monster standing there. In most horror films, this is where the camera cuts to her, then back to the room to reveal the apparition has disappeared. Not in INSIDIOUS: here a steady cam shot runs with her out to the hall, to film her crying her eyes out. The whole time I'm wondering if that thing is still in the room, if it will be there when she works up the courage to peek around the corner

Ugh.. Masterfully effective film making

I just wish that the script hadn't ultimately been so undercooked. The ghost underworld that is revealed in the third act was a bit too silly for it's own good. Perhaps if the sequel focuses on the horror we saw early on the film, and less on the poltergeists in powdered wigs, it might be worth a rental when it hits DVD

PS The colored film viewer/ghost hunter sequence also had that horrible sense of reality to it, when he looks back through the viewfinder a second time and those figures are still there staring at him

(in reply to Hands Randall)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Whannel & Wan Scare Up Insidious 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI