Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 2/2/2012 12:17:14 PM   
Timon

HBO is a small screen channel, so I guess it works. Anyway, in the tradition of The Gathering Storm, Conspiracy and The Tuskegee Airmen, HBO have got an all star cast to tell the story of the 2008 election, focusing on the McCain/Palin ticket.

Julianne Moore is Sarah Palin, but the rest of the cast look equally good - Ed Harris as John McCain, Woody Harrelson as Steve Schmidt, Peter MacNicol as Rick Davis, Ron Livingston as Mark Wallace, Melissa Farman as Bristol Palin and Sarah Paulson as Nicolle Wallace.

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IPhh7mch5zo

Apparently it premieres next month... and it looks good.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 2/2/2012 12:22:35 PM   
matty_b

Good grief, it is uncanny how Harris and Moore look like McCain and Palin there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 2/2/2012 12:29:04 PM   
vicandbob

ive already seen a movie with sarah palin in.. and if thats how she canvassed for votes.. she's got mine!!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 13/3/2012 7:34:42 PM   
Timon

Watching this now - it's astounding how much Ed Harris looks like McCain.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 13/3/2012 7:44:18 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Great acting, but flat, plodding direction. Jay Roach was inexplicably brought in to helm RECOUNT after Michael Mann walked, and it just astounds me they'd assign him to this film as a follow up. The man is not a dramatist. There was no energy, no dynamism in this film. This behind the scenes stuff should crackle with electricity, and instead it was just one scene after another after another till it was over. When HBO has a stable of players like Tim Van Patten and others who could have easily pulled this off, why would they turn to an outsider whose claim to fame is AUSTIN POWERS?

Anyway, it was interesting, and frightening, and the people who knew how dangerous that woman was and still helped sell her to the American people betrayed their country with their duplicity. I've never had any respect for Steve Schmidt and his 20/20 hind sight about the Palin pick. He knew that this woman could be president should McCain die, he knew she was ignorant and unqualified, and his loyalty was ultimately to his boss and not the American people.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 13/3/2012 8:31:15 PM   
furrybastard

I really enjoyed it but your right in saying it could have done with a better director. The script (and source material) provided it with all the best bits and Roach coasts by on his script and acting talent without adding anything to proceedings himself.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 13/3/2012 8:55:22 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I really enjoyed it but your right in saying it could have done with a better director. The script (and source material) provided it with all the best bits and Roach coasts by on his script and acting talent without adding anything to proceedings himself.

It's definitely worthwhile, I just find myself frustrated because I feel like it could have been much better. I feel like the actors ad the script were let down. Anyway, in the end I'm glad I caught it.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 7
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 14/3/2012 9:45:21 AM   
MrsFinkelstein

Anyone know when this will be shown in the UK, or have I completely missed the trailers for it?

Post #: 8
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 16/3/2012 4:07:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

Great acting, but flat, plodding direction. Jay Roach was inexplicably brought in to helm RECOUNT after Michael Mann walked, and it just astounds me they'd assign him to this film as a follow up. The man is not a dramatist. There was no energy, no dynamism in this film. This behind the scenes stuff should crackle with electricity, and instead it was just one scene after another after another till it was over. When HBO has a stable of players like Tim Van Patten and others who could have easily pulled this off, why would they turn to an outsider whose claim to fame is AUSTIN POWERS?Anyway, it was interesting, and frightening, and the people who knew how dangerous that woman was and still helped sell her to the American people betrayed their country with their duplicity. I've never had any respect for Steve Schmidt and his 20/20 hind sight about the Palin pick. He knew that this woman could be president should McCain die, he knew she was ignorant and unqualified, and his loyalty was ultimately to his boss and not the American people.

But did you not like Recount? I agree that on paper Roach seemed an odd choice to direct that kind of project, but on the evidence of that it seems there is more to him than the Austin Powers style comedies.

Post #: 9
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 16/3/2012 7:36:51 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

Great acting, but flat, plodding direction. Jay Roach was inexplicably brought in to helm RECOUNT after Michael Mann walked, and it just astounds me they'd assign him to this film as a follow up. The man is not a dramatist. There was no energy, no dynamism in this film. This behind the scenes stuff should crackle with electricity, and instead it was just one scene after another after another till it was over. When HBO has a stable of players like Tim Van Patten and others who could have easily pulled this off, why would they turn to an outsider whose claim to fame is AUSTIN POWERS?Anyway, it was interesting, and frightening, and the people who knew how dangerous that woman was and still helped sell her to the American people betrayed their country with their duplicity. I've never had any respect for Steve Schmidt and his 20/20 hind sight about the Palin pick. He knew that this woman could be president should McCain die, he knew she was ignorant and unqualified, and his loyalty was ultimately to his boss and not the American people.

But did you not like Recount? I agree that on paper Roach seemed an odd choice to direct that kind of project, but on the evidence of that it seems there is more to him than the Austin Powers style comedies.

I thought RECOUNT felt embarrassingly stilted and stagey. It was flat and lacked energy, given the stakes of the titular RECOUNT. As I watched it I just kept picturing the Michael Mann film it was originally to be and it came up lacking in every respect.

The actors and the material were let down by HBO and their decision to turn to Roach.

Just MHO, but there it is.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 16/3/2012 7:37:40 PM >

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 10
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 11/4/2012 2:43:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

This starts Saturday in replace of Luck and I for one am very excited, dream cast!

Post #: 11
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 15/4/2012 1:47:43 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I enjoyed it even if it did, in my opinion, fail to get under the skin of any of the main characters. Julieanne Moore was as always excellent and Woody Harrleson was also quite impressive. The problem with it was that we all knew the stories, knew the outcome. Even the framing device of Woody talking to Anderson Cooper belied the fact that this was a story being reold, sadly there was little by way of insight.

Having said that, worth a watch, the fact that Palin has risen to national prominence mainly because of "I thought you did it", "I thought YOU did it" moment in the vetting process showed the fragility of the political landscape.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 12
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 15/4/2012 1:52:09 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I know nothing about American politics so I loved this. Thought it was very entertaining although I assume some dramatic liscence was taken otherwise it's quite scary....

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 13
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 15/4/2012 2:17:48 PM   
elab49

Some of the worst bits scarily apparently aren't - eg the change from geopolitical analysis of Russia to 'well, this is Germany'.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 14
RE: Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film - 15/4/2012 3:28:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I enjoyed it even if it did, in my opinion, fail to get under the skin of any of the main characters. Julieanne Moore was as always excellent and Woody Harrleson was also quite impressive. The problem with it was that we all knew the stories, knew the outcome. Even the framing device of Woody talking to Anderson Cooper belied the fact that this was a story being reold, sadly there was little by way of insight.

Having said that, worth a watch, the fact that Palin has risen to national prominence mainly because of "I thought you did it", "I thought YOU did it" moment in the vetting process showed the fragility of the political landscape.

And the funny thing is I thought the oppiste It did get under the skin of just how these campaigns work, and some of the odd details about Palin which did paint a vivid picture of just what a disater she was.

Where it worked best through was how it engaged with the characters on a human level, for example Mcain came across far more sympathetic than I was expecting, like he was just trying to run the best and most honest campaign that he could. Also it showed what a thankless job it can be for the smaller people in politics.

And of course the performances were fantastic, I really liked it.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Game Change - HBO's Sarah Palin Film Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI