Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Young Adult - 31/1/2012 9:23:09 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Another baffling Empire review - 31/1/2012 9:23:09 AM   
Y0gi

Terrible. Not funny enough to be a straight up comedy, certainly not "sickenly funny" and not smart, dark or well written enough to make you care for the pathetic main character. In the end just bland and boring.
I agree it is "seriously sad", sad that Jason Reitman now has this blemish on his so far perfect directing record.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Another baffling Emprie review - 31/1/2012 9:23:59 AM   
Y0gi

Terrible. Not funny enough to be a straight up comedy, certainly not "sickenly funny" and not smart, dark or well written enough to make you care for the pathetic main character. In the end just bland and boring.
I agree it is "seriously sad", sad that Jason Reitman now has this blemish on his so far perfect directing record.

Post #: 3
RE: Young Adult - 31/1/2012 11:39:49 AM   
adambatman82

I really liked it. Even if our screening was interrupted by one grumpy bastard that actually shouted at everyone else for laughing too much at the film! Theron is great (and I'm not a fan at all), Oswalt was fantastic, and I really loved the overall tone of the film (I haven't seen such a truly despicable person presented as such for quite a long time) and am in agreeance with the Empire review when they say that the balance of the piece is really well judged. I really loved the score too, especially the recurrent use of Teenage Fanclub's The Concept, and the Muzak takes on 90's alterna-classics such as Faith No More's Epic.

Just don't go in expecting Legally Blonde and you'll be alright.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 31/1/2012 12:15:31 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Young Adult - 31/1/2012 12:15:27 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I really liked it. Even if our screening was interrupted by one grumpy bastard that actually shouted at everyone else for laughing too much at the film! Theron is great (and I'm not a fan at all), Oswalt was fantastic, and I really loved the overall tone of the film (I haven't seen such a truly despicable person presented as such for quite a long time) and am in agreeance with the Empire review when they say that the balance of the piece is really well judged. I really loved the score too, especially the recurrent use of Teenage Fanclub's The Concept, and the Muzak takes on 90's alterna-classics such as Faith No More's Epic.

I was mildly intrigued before but this sentence alone puts it into the 'must-see' category.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: Young Adult - 31/1/2012 12:17:39 PM   
wombathog

quote:

...and Low by Cracker.

I really liked it too. I loved the fact that 'The Message' was such a fucked-up version of the usual be yourself bollocks. Theron was amazing and made a great double act with Oswalt.
For me, Jason Reitman has still not made a bad film.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

Post #: 6
RE: Young Adult - 31/1/2012 12:19:16 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I was mildly intrigued before but this sentence alone puts it into the 'must-see' category.

Yeah, it's lead character is ground in the 90's, and spends much of the time listening to a mix tape from her youth, the lead track of which is The Concept. It's almost like the films theme, such is the manner in which it repeatedly pops up. The Muzak is great too, interpretations of Beck, Faith No More and Pearl Jam all feature.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 7
RE: Young Adult - 31/1/2012 1:27:39 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Yeah, it's lead character is ground in the 90's, and spends much of the time listening to a mix tape from her youth, the lead track of which is The Concept. It's almost like the films theme, such is the manner in which it repeatedly pops up. The Muzak is great too, interpretations of Beck, Faith No More and Pearl Jam all feature.

Interestingly, the lyrics deal with guilt about treating someone badly - haven't seen the film yet but from what I've read it seems Theron's character does a lot of that.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 8
RE: Young Adult - 31/1/2012 1:44:06 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interestingly, the lyrics deal with guilt about treating someone badly - haven't seen the film yet but from what I've read it seems Theron's character does a lot of that.

Yep, she certainly does. She's one of the most unlikeable characters I've seen in a mainstream film for some time. Won't say any more for fear of ruining, but it certainly comes recommended.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 9
liked it - 5/2/2012 7:55:32 PM   
tysmuse

Theron was great. Although, you don't really notice how great until about 40 minutes in. The fat guy mate with a crutch was excellent to.

Post #: 10
RE: liked it - 7/3/2012 1:58:21 PM   
mackey

Excellent film with a sensational turn from Charlize. She is so full of loathing for practically everyone, herself included and some of her actions & conversations are difficult to watch at times. It's blackly funny throughout and herself and Patton Oswalt have a great time with their scenes together. As mentioned earlier in the thread it's a rare thing for such a detestable character to be front and centre of a mainstream film and it's hard to think of anyone but Theron pulling it off. Hope this finds a big audience because it really is brilliant.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 11
- 23/6/2012 10:12:47 PM   
Gerard Lough

Could be a future classic.

Post #: 12
Young Adult - 1/9/2012 8:52:54 PM   
norgizfox

If you can get past the slow pacing and Reitman's lack of grace, Charlize Theron will make if all worth it in this hilarious and amazingly well-acted peek at the honest mind of our high school would-be's. 

Post #: 13
"Sometimes in order to heal... a few people have t... - 7/11/2013 4:47:59 AM   
movienut707

Emotionally speaking, Young Adult goes where few other films dare. So, while this isn't quite as good as Jason Reitman's previous efforts, it is certainly worth a look.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 9/11/2013 5:52:11 AM >

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Young Adult Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI