Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel - 30/1/2012 10:28:08 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 30/1/2012 10:28:08 PM   
TomBowler

Awesome. X-Men First Class kicked ass, hopefully they can do just as well with Second Class. Starting with a better title than Sceond Class.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel - 30/1/2012 10:39:56 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Surely First Class Part II is the way to go?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 3
- 31/1/2012 8:13:51 AM   
MonkeysDad

Second semester or Graduation would be my guess.

Post #: 4
- 31/1/2012 8:43:22 AM   
QuietLife

X-Men: Economy Class?

Post #: 5
RE: - 31/1/2012 9:26:28 AM   
Kayotik

X-Men: Mutant Superheroes 102

Not really that excited for another one. Personally felt First Class was on par with Last Stand, though at least Last Stand had better female leads and far better effects. Thought the casting was a bit off on a few parts and the prosthetics on Beast were laughable.

Never know, might improve on the script and characters, but don't think it's gonna match up to the first two X-Men films.

(in reply to QuietLife)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 31/1/2012 9:37:11 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayotik

X-Men: Mutant Superheroes 102

Not really that excited for another one. Personally felt First Class was on par with Last Stand, though at least Last Stand had better female leads and far better effects. Thought the casting was a bit off on a few parts and the prosthetics on Beast were laughable.

Never know, might improve on the script and characters, but don't think it's gonna match up to the first two X-Men films.

The whole production from 1st draft of script to completed filming was only six months in length so I think we can forgive the make up issues aside, persinally loved it and had a lot of heart and would welcome a second film.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 7
Rubbish! - 31/1/2012 10:16:05 AM   
guysalisbury

After the Epicness of Kick-Ass I had such high hopes for X-Men First Class. Personally I thought it was rubbish! I guess things can only get better. Come on Vaughn, sort it out!

Post #: 8
RE: Rubbish! - 31/1/2012 10:26:40 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Not bad rather hear news about a Kick-Ass 2 though.

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 9
X-Men First Class: Please not again - 31/1/2012 10:51:53 AM   
poogs_5

I think I have to watch first class again. I hated this the first time I saw it and can't understand why many critics have lauded it as one of the better comic book movies. My expectations may be been too high after seeing kick ass, so I'll give it another crack, because believe me, my expectations are rock bottom at the moment.

Post #: 10
X-Men First Class: Please not again - 31/1/2012 10:52:19 AM   
poogs_5

I think I have to watch first class again. I hated this the first time I saw it and can't understand why many critics have lauded it as one of the better comic book movies. My expectations may be been too high after seeing kick ass, so I'll give it another crack, because believe me, my expectations are rock bottom at the moment.

Post #: 11
X-Men First Class: Please not again - 31/1/2012 10:53:04 AM   
poogs_5

Post #: 12
X-Men First Class: Please not again - 31/1/2012 10:53:13 AM   
poogs_5

Post #: 13
- 31/1/2012 12:32:52 PM   
maelzch

X-Men: Summer Resits

Post #: 14
- 31/1/2012 12:33:17 PM   
maelzch

X-Men: Summer Resits

Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 31/1/2012 12:41:25 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

The whole production from 1st draft of script to completed filming was only six months in length so I think we can forgive the make up issues aside, persinally loved it and had a lot of heart and would welcome a second film.

That actually makes a lot of sense then for the dodgy prosthetics, CG, casting and script then.

I think Kick-Ass worked so much better because they had longer to work on it, plus not as much pressure from big studio exec's.

For me, First Class was poor. I honestly couldn't see why so many critics hailed it was incredible and condemned Green Lantern for being bad. They were both about the same to me. Mediocre at best.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 16
First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 1:57:26 PM   
Blyman

They should have kept First Class about Charles and Eric and had them as friends still come the end, albeit with Eric leaning towards the dark side. Then you could of had an interesting sequel/trilogy. Instead they rushed too much into the ending leaving no where to go other then a dull battle between Xavier and Magneto signing D-List Mutants to their respective sides. Shame. I do like Vaughn though.

Post #: 17
Brilliant news... - 31/1/2012 2:29:13 PM   
ronniem

First Class was by far the best film last summer and exceeded expectations in terms of it's overall quality...It was so much fun!

Post #: 18
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 2:31:47 PM   
attakdog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blyman

They should have kept First Class about Charles and Eric and had them as friends still come the end, albeit with Eric leaning towards the dark side. Then you could of had an interesting sequel/trilogy. Instead they rushed too much into the ending leaving no where to go other then a dull battle between Xavier and Magneto signing D-List Mutants to their respective sides. Shame. I do like Vaughn though.

^^^This^^^

(in reply to Blyman)
Post #: 19
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 2:39:55 PM   
Kayotik

I agree that would have been far more entertaining watching Erik and Charles relationship over the possible new trilogy as Charles tries to help Erik let go of the bitterness he harbours for non-mutants and as Erik clashes with Charles but does not want to hurt his friend and fellow Mutant.
I'd have been far more interested in that story and seeing it develop.

Of course, at least they didn't do a Star Wars and have Erik acting like a bratty idiot for three films and then suddenly turn against Charles cause...you know...angst.

< Message edited by Kayotik -- 31/1/2012 3:08:06 PM >

(in reply to attakdog)
Post #: 20
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 4:34:20 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Sad to hear this news.. I think Vaughn is extremely talented (I caught LAYERCAKE in a theater in July of 2004 and it just floored me), and it's an utter waste for him to work for fox on this played out series. I wanted to like FIRST CLASS, but it was just a painful experience. The stuff with MacAvoy and Fassbender was aces, like something out of a mag lev James Bond movie. If only that had been the focus of the film. Unfortunately everything involving the teens was flavorless, bland, and trite. Bad actors, dull characters, and a complete lack of a sense of time or place. The kids felt totally contemporary, with no indication that they'd grown up in a turbulant time in American history (the way no one bats an eye at having a black team member just rings false - these were issues people were fighting over in the streets, and to take the 60s setting and ditch all the social context is just pointless). Their story was dull, and ruined much of the film. They took what was apparently a brilliant Magneto script, and chopped it up in order to insert this bland and by the numbers "first class" nonsense. To wrap it all up, they rush through the story so that by the end of the film, there is no where interesting to take the chracters. Charles is a cripple and Eric is evil. The end. What else is left to say? Vaughn should do something original, like Mr Winding Refn with his DRIVE. To continue to toil under the banner of FOX with these tired characters just seems like a hell of a way to waste his career

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 31/1/2012 4:39:13 PM >

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 21
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 4:44:16 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

the way no one bats an eye at having a black team member just rings false

Someone said to me "His name is Darwin, his body can morph to adapt to any environment in order to survive, so why is he black in the 60's?".

The whole idea of the X-Men story was supposed to be that of discrimination, hate-mongering and oppression. Yet somehow they managed to lose that concept even when set in an era right in the midst of these issues!

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 22
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 4:46:40 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

the way no one bats an eye at having a black team member just rings false

Someone said to me "His name is Darwin, his body can morph to adapt to any environment in order to survive, so why is he black in the 60's?".

The whole idea of the X-Men story was supposed to be that of discrimination, hate-mongering and oppression. Yet somehow they managed to lose that concept even when set in an era right in the midst of these issues!

It was a huge missed opportunity not to even address the fact that this mutant descrimination is happening at a time of widespread legal descrimination across the US.

Look, I'll admit that in many ways it was better than alot of the blockbusters we get these days (in that it actually managed to thrill me with a few of the Fassbender scenes, something which the whole of TRANSFORMERS 3 could not manage), but over all it's a pretty weak sauce, and the widespread acclaim it's recieved is to me a sign of the times, rather than an indication that we're talking about a genuinely special and well made film

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 23
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 5:00:14 PM   
Kayotik

Sadly you're right. We've got to a stage where we are so accustomed to movies that are shit that we've begun to see mediocre films as good.

Speaking of Transformers 3, walking out of that I complained at how terrible it was to which my friend replied "What did you expect, they weren't trying for an Oscar!".

Apparently now the only time effort is put into a film is when they're trying for awards.

Post #: 24
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 5:28:21 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

Sadly you're right. We've got to a stage where we are so accustomed to movies that are shit that we've begun to see mediocre films as good.

Speaking of Transformers 3, walking out of that I complained at how terrible it was to which my friend replied "What did you expect, they weren't trying for an Oscar!".

Apparently now the only time effort is put into a film is when they're trying for awards.

Your anecdote sums up the state of cinema in 2012 just about perfectly

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 25
RE: First Class left no where to go... - 31/1/2012 7:13:37 PM   
Spaldron

Scraping the barrel comes to mind. X-Men is history, they'll never top X2 and probably never will so why keep dragging it on? If you want a new series about genetic mutants and discrimination then Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the way forward.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 26
RE: Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel - 31/1/2012 7:31:50 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

If a friend of mine said that to me, I would probably strangle that person.

"It's not meant to be Citizen Kane!" and "They weren't trying for an Oscar" are not get out of jail free cards for shit film-making.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 31/1/2012 7:36:41 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 27
RE: Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel - 31/1/2012 7:43:43 PM   
superdan

I've rarely been as angry about a film as I was with Transformers 3. I'm still a little cross about it now, if I'm honest.

Anyway, I'm surprised at the comments in this thread, I thought there'd be a lot more positivity to it. Not that I don't agree with a lot of those points, mind, it's just a bit unexpected is all.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28
So many impossible people to please! - 31/1/2012 9:47:31 PM   
dannyfletch

X-Men First Class was an excellent return to form for the franchise and Vaughn handles the superhero stuff really well. You'll always get these impossible people who like to moan and try to make it sound as if they've got an intellectual point when in fact they are just boring! If you don't like it, LUMP IT!

Post #: 29
RE: So many impossible people to please! - 31/1/2012 11:20:19 PM   
rich

Despite not being better than the original two and a lot of holes, it was still leagues ahead of part 3 and that Wolverine abomination. Also the best superhero movie this year so happy to see another one, here's hoping it's even better.

< Message edited by rich -- 31/1/2012 11:21:21 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Matthew Vaughn On For First Class Sequel Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI