Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Martha Marcy May Marlene

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Martha Marcy May Marlene Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Martha Marcy May Marlene - 30/1/2012 8:31:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
five stars not four - 30/1/2012 8:31:42 PM   
hi charlie

this should be a five star movie it's an incredibly haunting and dark peace of cinema it's pitch perfect in the tone the acting the pacing etc, so how empire can rate it less than five is beyond me.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: five stars not four - 1/2/2012 6:28:36 PM   
nhassell

quote:

ORIGINAL: hi charlie

this should be a five star movie it's an incredibly haunting and dark peace of cinema it's pitch perfect in the tone the acting the pacing etc, so how empire can rate it less than five is beyond me.
Because they didn't like it as much as you did?

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to hi charlie)
Post #: 3
RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene - 5/2/2012 4:42:33 PM   
spamandham

Pretty mediocre really. There are better films about cults if you want that kind of thing.

Post #: 4
RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene - 8/2/2012 5:20:25 PM   
squeezyrider

Haven't seen it but I'm assuming everybody else hears Boycie's voice in their head whenever they read the title of this film.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

Post #: 5
unbelievable - 14/2/2012 10:46:04 PM   
tysmuse

I do not believe there'll be a creepier, most twisted, affecting movie this year. Olsen’s performance is stunning as a young girl who's personality is borderline non-existent.

Post #: 6
RE: unbelievable - 2/3/2012 12:59:34 AM   
scary_ice

Just saw this today and loved it! Slow-burning atmospheric and haunting it is a truly great film. Also this is now the third movie I have seen John Hawkes in and he is brilliant in all of them - the others being Winters Bone and Me and You and Everyone We Know. He really deserves more recognition. His performance here is probably not as strong as in Winters Bone but he doesn't have as much screen time or as complex a character I suppose. But yeah, Elizabeth Olsen and the whole cast are great.

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 7
RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene - 2/3/2012 5:32:07 PM   
wesleyjordan

< Message edited by wesleyjordan -- 2/3/2012 5:36:20 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene - 2/3/2012 5:35:05 PM   
wesleyjordan

I thought it was a little slow and rather uneventful. I was waiting for something to happen towards the end to make me think it was worth while sitting through but nothing, it sort of just fizzled out. Good permormances though and the atmosphere was set well.
2 stars for me

Post #: 9
Martha Marcy May Marlene Review - 11/3/2012 2:06:40 PM   
DaleLawson

Martha Marcy May Marlene is an American indie film that grips the audience from the chilling beginning to the sudden end. The haunting performance by John Hawkes, the silent and eerie shots and an insight into strange Manson-esc cult are three of the many reasons why people should see this film.

Post #: 10
Incredible acting............that is all - 14/1/2013 9:45:56 AM   
guysalisbury

All of the cast turn in incredible performances in this creepy film but that's really all there is to get excited about. It was far too short and as far as the ending goes, well I'm all up for suggestive endings thatv really leave you thinking but it just didnt work in this film for me. Dont get me wrong, its a good film but that is all. For some people on here to suggest that its a classic, well that just bemuses me. I cant wait to see Olsen in something again soon but if you are looking for really creepy you should check out Race with the Devil.

Post #: 11
- 14/3/2013 10:28:45 PM   
philshepp

Very original, great acting, great script... and a brilliantly 'non-Hollywood' ending!

Post #: 12
Marth Marcy May Marlene - 16/1/2014 12:32:37 AM   
garyos

This is a very well made, intelligent film, that had me gripped and intrigued throughout, with an incredible performance by Elizabeth Olsen as the title character.

Post #: 13
Literally a cult film - 25/7/2014 1:21:05 PM   
RJNeb2

Fleeing the cult where she’s been holed up in for the past two years, Martha shores up at her estranged sister who fails to understand why her younger sibling is acting so weird. The film fills in some of the missing pieces, showing how life in the commune was dominated by its leader, but is at its most telling in revealing how messed up Martha has become by the experience. Interesting stuff, nicely played by the cast, with an unsettling air of dislocation to it that’s entirely in keeping with the mental state of the lead character.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Martha Marcy May Marlene Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI