Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chronicle Review!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Chronicle Review! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chronicle Review! - 8/2/2012 7:39:31 PM   
Ramone87

Chronicle Review!

Thoughrougly enjoyable superhero / sci- fi flick!! Uses the found footage style to great affect as our three main leads stumble on an unknown glowing abject and begin to possess great powers which gradually go out of control.

How the film impresses is with it's strong characters. The first time director Josh Tank and and scripter Max Landis wisely cull humanity from within these young men as they first flirt with thier new powers, cue shopping mall pranks, and general goofing around until a car accident causes them to have a reality check.

From this moment on the film propels with great unease as the three leads try to come to terms with there gifts or curses? The unknown actors really shine, as one deals with a troubled home life, another with a crumbling relationship, and the ups and downs of teen-life in college. Some stand out scenes
include; majic pranks in a college talent contest, sky diving 'superman' style in some awesome ariel action and general criminal abuse of thier new powers.

But it's the climax of the movie which really stands out; here our character's issues come to HUGE blows as thier powers reach critical mass. It really is a breathtaking scene of carnage; cars, people are tossed and crushed like tin cans; buildings used as jumping frames as police and helicopters try and capture
our volatile heroes.

A great suprise and thouroughly entertaining sc-fi!

GO SEE IT!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Chronicle Review! - 9/2/2012 9:31:17 PM   
Gazdance

I'd love to see what people consider good effects if people thought these were poor! Morons.

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 32
chronicle - 9/2/2012 9:32:49 PM   
HERMES_67

much better than expected; well worth a watch. enjoy......

Post #: 33
meh - 9/2/2012 10:16:02 PM   
tysmuse

it's not a great idea, it's very silly in parts and ultimately; it's nothing original. Also, the lead character is far too annoying.

Post #: 34
RE: Chronicle Review! - 9/2/2012 10:37:34 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

I'd love to see what people consider good effects if people thought these were poor! Morons.

Seeing as I'm one of the "morons" that thought the effects in Chronicle were poor I thought I'd respond to you. Classy behaviour btw.

Personally, I prefer my effects to be as subtle as possible, and have a physicality behind them. Here are a couple of films which have impressed me from an effects perspective.

Inception - Kind of an obvious one really, but obvious for a reason. Scenes such as the one in the hotel, with the rotating corridor have a real air of realism about them, mainly because the filmmakers had the foresight to only resort to CGI were necessary. I guess that this would most closely attach itself to the car squashing scene in Chronicle, which relied wholly on CGI, in turn leading to a botched set up which ruined the later effect of the car being crushed (aka it looked like a Pixar car being crushed, not a real one).

Moon - Again, a reliance on CGI only were necessary helped to convince that the locale being presented had a tangible feel to it. It's worth noting that Moon had a substantially lower budget than Chronicle too, so thriftiness is no excuse (granted the scenario being presented in both films, but still).

Benjamin Button - CGI driven, but genuinely pioneering. It remains convincing several years on from release.

Children Of Men - Again, massively pioneering work, and one that was reached through a combination of CGI and clever-creativily driven well-thought out solutions to the situation being realised.

So there you go, a couple of special effects situations that impressed a "moron".

Incidentally, what was it specifically that impressed you s much about Chronicle's FX work that led you to make such a nasty little remark about those of us that had problems with it?

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 9/2/2012 10:38:55 PM >

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 35
RE: Chronicle Review! - 9/2/2012 10:41:21 PM   
jrewing1000

There's no denying the effects in Chronicle aren't necessarily it's strong point, but I would happily forgive lesser quality effects if the ambition of the film is strong enough. And this was an extremely ambitious film, whether or not the effects were realistic, the events they described were quite unique, unlike much I'd ever seen in terms of 'powers' movies.

I loved Chronicle, loved its lo-fi quality, how you really bought into the lead character's development (or regression if you need me to be more acurate).

I heard someone reference Akira when describing Chronicle, I'd say that was quite a good observation and certainly suggests the kind of scale we're talking about towards the final chapter.

Lets not forget this was a debut feature, what an amazing achievement.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 36
Made the unbelievable, believable - 10/2/2012 12:46:03 AM   
sunflies

As someone who was picked on at school and then got very good at martial arts, I was along for the ride with this. Personally, I can't agree with any of the points raised about the fx being bad, and if some of the choices made by the lead character aren't in line with "what you would do", just remember - they are not you! He's a crazy mixed up kid!
Also not sure why anyone is calling this a superhero movie. With great power comes great responsibility, but this is more the tale of a super-villain. If only the emergence of Darth Vader Had been handled with way! Stunning film; blew me away.

Post #: 37
APEX PREDATOR INDEED....... - 13/2/2012 7:04:24 PM   
ROTGUT

Heroes season one is ten times better than this - but that doesn't mean Josh Trank's mini- masterpiece isn't worth seeing. On the contrary, this film had me hooked from the get go. I dig superheroes and comic books anyway - but Trank was clearly pushing the boundaries within his limited budget and the results can only be commended. How many millions will they spend on the new Superman movie? Ten/twenty times more than what was spent here I'd wager - and yet there were times when I thought I was watching that much mooted but now aborted live action Akira film. If this guy is going to direct a new FF movie then that can only be a step up from Tim Story's workman like efforts.....
if you like superheroes - you'll like this.....FOUR STARS!

Post #: 38
Scifi rip off - 14/2/2012 4:30:33 PM   
Akirarip

Chronicle reminds me of a science fiction anime called Akira. Minus the scientists and genetic mutation at the end ofcourse, but mostly the same. First person camera viewing didn't work on reality shows. I'm confused why anyone would think a movie is different. Only 2 stars for this movie, in my opinion.

Post #: 39
what a load of rubbish - 17/2/2012 11:44:21 PM   
footpicker

I'm sorry, but please tell me the point of this film. It's the first time in my life that I have walked out of a film. Very disappointed.

Post #: 40
Call the doctor...I need benedryl. - 19/2/2012 9:59:53 PM   
Trumpetnut

It was my own fault...I shouldn't have sat so close to the screen after eating a burger meal. Never have I had to leave a cinema before the end of a film, not for the toilet, not to get away from crisp bag rustling watchers, not even because the film was absolute bobbins...and never have I had to leave for the rather incongruous reason of feeling seasick. Was Blair Witch this active with the camera? NYPD Blue? I don't think so. For me, and my stomach contents, it was the defining constant of a movie that intrigued, annoyed and induced nausea at the same time. The notion of teenagers gaining and misusing telekinteic powers was well formed and thought out, if a little slow to develop. There were some good moments, like the learning to fly sequence and the talent show, but in order to get to these snippets you have to either ignore or develop resistance to the incessant teenage prattle and chatter and that richter scale measurable camera work. In the end it took its toll and forced me to flee to the nearest sink. Sadly the quality of the ending, that has been extolled in the review above, never gave me a pang of guilt for missing it, or cause to ask whether it was worth the £8 in the first place. I've seen worse films, but never has a film had such an effect...unfortunately its effect was on my stomach contents and not my emotions. I hope they all died in the end in a volley of explosions and violence, but I can live without knowing.

Post #: 41
RE: Not bad - 20/2/2012 1:39:52 PM   
Twisted Kitty

Really enjoyable film. Great superhero story and left open for a sequel. Good Saturday afternoon viewing.

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 42
RE: Call the doctor...I need benedryl. - 20/2/2012 1:43:57 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trumpetnut
Was Blair Witch this active with the camera?

More so in my opinion. I had to leave half way through BW as I got my one and only bout of really bad motion sickness to the point where I couldn't look at the screen. I was concerned that this would have the same effect but it didn't affect me at all.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Trumpetnut)
Post #: 43
RE: Chronicle - 20/2/2012 3:30:11 PM   
Discodez

Saw Chronicle on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it... Although it has it weaknesses (editing chiefly amongst them) I thought it was a sound bit of film making all round and very entertaining.

4 out of 5

Post #: 44
An entertaining fantasy! - 20/2/2012 5:20:32 PM   
Jas_SJ2

"Chronicle: found-footage constraints are overstretched & the narrative feels too truncated but on overall it's an entertaining fantasy! 6/10" (www.twitter.com/jasinlondon - It's all about life, the arts & politics.)

Post #: 45
An entertaining fantasy! - 20/2/2012 5:20:33 PM   
Jas_SJ2

"Chronicle: found-footage constraints are overstretched & the narrative feels too truncated but on overall it's an entertaining fantasy! 6/10" (www.twitter.com/jasinlondon - It's all about life, the arts & politics.)

Post #: 46
Chronicle, film of the year? - 25/2/2012 8:21:55 PM   
Awesome Irish Dude

Well it certainly is a contender. The story is gripping and the script is excellent. Awesome Irish Dude literally couldn't take their eyes of the screen. It is not a fantastic quality film but it is certainly a heap of fun. I feel using video cameras to show the story was a good idea but I got the feeling that two thirds of the way into it they ran out of ways to use this method. The main character literally takes other peoples cameras and makes them swirl around him so you can see him. It seemed that they fitted the story around the use of video cameras instead of fitting the use of video cameras around the story. It was also too dark to be a 12A. Should have been a 15. So, thoroughly enjoyable but was mis-rated and the producers should have spent more time thinking of ways to use video cameras in the last couple of scenes. It is, though, a must see.

Post #: 47
Chronicle, film of the year? - 25/2/2012 8:25:39 PM   
Awesome Irish Dude

Well it certainly is a contender. The story is gripping and the script is excellent. Awesome Irish Dude literally couldn't take their eyes of the screen. It is not a fantastic quality film but it is certainly a heap of fun. I feel using video cameras to show the story was a good idea but I got the feeling that two thirds of the way into it they ran out of ways to use this method. The main character literally takes other peoples cameras and makes them swirl around him so you can see him. It seemed that they fitted the story around the use of video cameras instead of fitting the use of video cameras around the story. It was also too dark to be a 12A. Should have been a 15. So, thoroughly enjoyable but was mis-rated and the producers should have spent more time thinking of ways to use video cameras in the last couple of scenes. It is, though, a must see.

Post #: 48
Chronicle review - 26/2/2012 7:11:16 PM   
Beastwoop11

When the words 'superhero movie' are said, immediate thoughts draw to; Iron man, spider-man, batman and maybe even the awful spoof film of 2006! Competing with such superhero companies as D.C and Marvel and also going against the superheroes that most know and love, is quite a risky plan. Which is why I believe the recent release of Chronicle is such a interesting and important one. Not only does it compete against the big companies, it also offers something new and fresh as the whole film is shot with handheld cameras.

In the spring of last year I went to see X-men first class at my local cinema, and one (of the many!) aspects of the film I disliked was the fact that none of the teenage characters seemed to show any kind of personality, we didn't even get back stories for any of the characters. However in Chronicle strong personalities are shown, and the back story of the main character, Andrew, is sentimental and very fitting. The 3 teenage boys act as any other teenager would if they'd developed super powers, which gives a huge sense of realism to the film , something that is rarely shown in other superhero films. Theirs no cheesy looks at the camera neither any corny catch-phrases, just a realistic depiction of what boys of their age would actually do, which of course is go to the local shop and mess with peoples heads! But behind the fun of the film theirs the sinister yet sentimental back story to Andrew. This back story, which is told throughout the film, makes the crossover from the upbeat banter of the 1st half of the film to the sinister 2nd half, fluent and believable. The whole film is also shot only using handheld cameras, which at points is a bit ridiculous but is mostly very affective. The aspect of super powers in this film is obviously a huge one but in more ways than one, often the telekinisis power of the boys is used to manoeuvre to camera to show us different shots from different angles, which was used to great effect. However their were oth

Post #: 49
A truly steaming pile...... - 28/3/2012 6:44:21 PM   
theseabadger

Don't get me wrong, the concept was thoroughly original but how this film got such rave reviews I will never know.

What seemed like an eternity into the film I glanced at my watch, only to discover that 25 minutes had passed. I literally wanted to shoot myself. I saw this over Ghost Rider, which got terrible reviews, but I should have gone to see that instead!

This film wasnt help by the shaky camera (my heart sank as soon as it started) and the fact that I though the main character was an absolute c**t. I wanted nothing more than all of them to die. Akira p*sses all over this.

Post #: 50
Original Surprising Amazing - 1/6/2012 11:46:34 AM   
withgreatpower

Chronicle is very different addition to the found footage genre but one that will take you on an incredible journey. It is not perfect a lot of whats happening and whats happened we don't really know but as there is going to be a sequel im sure all will be revealed. Some great scenes will leave you breatless. It is an all round enjoyable entertaining film that you could watch again and again.

Post #: 51
Loved It - 14/6/2012 5:30:49 PM   
danielthompson99

Best POV movie to date. Great plot, being bullied at school myself, I can see how this tragic environment of violence and fear would push someone off the deep end.
Loved the flying scenes, and the intermesh of different camera views.
This will become a classic, please let these directors go play with the big boys. I'm certain they will teach them a trick or two!

Post #: 52
Slightly better than Twilight....and that's not saying ... - 12/7/2012 2:37:40 PM   
guysalisbury

I really cant believe this got 4 stars. The effects were ok and I really like the whole telekinesis idea but this reminded me way too much of a Shit MTV Twilight type american teen flick. After Cloverfield did the POV thing so well whilst at the same time being very suggestive, I think it just didn't work in this film. But if I had to flag one thing in particular that made me think this film was pretty terrible it was the acting by the 3 leads, especially the main dude who was just awful! I will be very surprised if we see him cast in anything half decent in the next few years. This might have scraped 3 stars if he hadn't been in it (although I doubt it) To be honest I'm just pleased it was so short.

Post #: 53
RE: Chronicle - 1/8/2012 4:33:37 AM   
Phubbs

Chronicle

Very dull slow take off for this comicbook type film as we see a bunch of teens just messing around and talking crap whilst not much else is going on. The first half of the film is shown through 'Andrews' camera as he goes around filming everything and its damn annoying, of course its building characters but to be frank it doesn't seem that way as its really uninteresting.

The way in which the three young males find the 'unknown object' in a deep dark hole after simply climbing down into it is a bit silly methinks, as if you would do that.  The object looks a bit like the spiky crystal like pod in which Superman travels to earth in from the 78 film, anyway they all get infected or transformed or sick from the object and thusly gain telekinetic super powers...for some reason.

The film is really quite boring until 'Andrew' starts to get a little warped with his ways and begins using his powers for 'evil' or bad as it were. From that point on it perks up allot with much more tension and some reasonably good special effects consisting of average CGI and average bluescreen work but some nice telekinetic movement work on people in places.

There is a slight feeling of 'X-Men' as the sparks fly along with cars and chunks of building, almost a more realistic take with proper teen angst issues tossed in. The stress caused by family issues, school life and their increasing powers is well played out by the actor trio. The point where 'Andrew' finally decides he is now pretty much a more evolved human being and capable of anything he wants, a newly evolved 'apex predator', does add some great moments of edge of your seat thrills as you simply don't know what he will do next, he no longer cares for anyone including his super powered friends.

Filmed almost entirely with handheld cams, or CCTV in some sequences, does add realism to the action but it also annoying too, like other films in this style it can be hard to follow action as the camera jerks all over the show.

So the first half of the film is dull and slightly rushed maybe but it gets much better once 'Andrew' loses it, its almost like a male version of 'Carrie' really, Dane DeHaan does portray the breakdown and instability of his character very well. Overall some nice sequences like the boys trying their new powers as they develop them, strong moments of family feuding and a good finale.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 1/8/2012 4:34:46 AM >

Post #: 54
RE: Chronicle - 1/8/2012 3:58:35 PM   
drews

This was ok but not great. I have trouble feeling empathy for whiny kids.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 55
RE: Chronicle - 10/8/2012 9:39:51 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Loved it. Great effects for the budget and a believable reaction from young men to gaining super powers.
My only gripe would be the cheats on the POV, going from found-footage to people having a camera at crucial times.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 56
Chronicle - 13/10/2012 7:43:03 PM   
norgizfox

A smart script, stunning set pieces, and outstanding performances by it's young cast makes Chronicle one of those rare found footage films that surpasses its limitation of being found footage, as well as it's cheap effects and difficult premise.

Post #: 57
- 3/2/2013 10:10:04 PM   
philshepp

Best found footage movie there has been... really original, incredibly entertaining, very smart - a hidden gem!

Post #: 58
RE: - 8/7/2013 10:00:22 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

Watched this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it but my main gripe would be that it really didn't need the hand held camera POV. Cloverfield and Rec did it far better. It was totally unnecessary in this film particularly in the hospital scene at the end (why would the doctors put a camera pointing towards him in his hospital bed when there is cctv all over in the hospital?). All in all though, I enjoyed it, especially the end sequence.

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 8/7/2013 10:03:49 AM >

(in reply to philshepp)
Post #: 59
RE: RE: - 11/7/2013 4:27:21 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

Watched this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it but my main gripe would be that it really didn't need the hand held camera POV. Cloverfield and Rec did it far better. It was totally unnecessary in this film particularly in the hospital scene at the end (why would the doctors put a camera pointing towards him in his hospital bed when there is cctv all over in the hospital?). All in all though, I enjoyed it, especially the end sequence.

HE had just been on a killing spree, why wouldn't they have him under surveillance?

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Chronicle Review! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI