Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chronicle

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Chronicle Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chronicle - 30/1/2012 7:54:22 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Mixed reviews - 30/1/2012 7:54:23 PM   
SeanJenkins1

I have read 2 other reviews of this, and they say that the found footage structure limits this film massively and could of been far better had they been a little looser with the conventions of the genre but my anticipation which was dampened has now been reignited after reading this. Hopefully see at the weekend.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Actually is getting very good reviews - 31/1/2012 1:04:44 AM   
FinalDestination018

I don't where the mixed reviews nonsense is coming from. This movie has been getting a lot of praise so far, which is surprising for a movie of this genre. I thought the "found footage" structure engaging; I really felt like I was watching real teenage boys, minus the telekinesis and flying part. The three leads were wonderful (By the way, the documentarian's name in the movie is Andrew Detmer; he is played by Dane DeHaan), and the climax was a pure white-knuckled thrill ride. Highly recommend this! Best "teens with powers" movie I've seen in a long time.

Post #: 3
Rude - 31/1/2012 4:54:14 PM   
SeanJenkins1

There is no need to be so offensive.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jan/27/chronicle-found-footage-superhero-powers
I was just reflecting my opinion, and as I stated feel positive towards the film. Why is it that you can't even make the mildest of statements on comments sections of any website without provoking puerile reactions.

Post #: 4
RE: Rude - 31/1/2012 7:10:40 PM   
Ceekayck

Smh at Michael B. Jordan being 'unknown'.

(in reply to SeanJenkins1)
Post #: 5
What's wrong with people on this site... - 31/1/2012 11:41:45 PM   
SUPER_movie_FREAK

I don't know how you come to the conclusion the guy was being as you put it 'rude' and gave 'puerile reactions'. Are you a complete and utter ass.

He was stating HIS opinion on the mixed reviews matter. Everyone has an opinion on something not just you and most of the time people are going to disagree (this is a movie review forum after all). Or are you too much of a stuck up bastard to see that.

Changing the subject this movie is getting rave reviews. Total Film even gave it a 5 star review. I've seen some of this already but not all of it, however I'm going to give it a 5 star straight away as it gives another fantastic perspective on the 'found film footage' genre.

Post #: 6
What's wrong with people on this site... - 1/2/2012 12:12:25 AM   
SUPER_movie_FREAK

I don't know how you come to the conclusion the guy was being as you put it 'rude' and gave 'puerile reactions'. Are you a complete and utter ass.

He was stating HIS opinion on the mixed reviews matter. Everyone has an opinion on something not just you and most of the time people are going to disagree (this is a movie review forum after all). Or are you too much of a stuck up bastard to see that.

Changing the subject this movie is getting rave reviews. Total Film even gave it a 5 star review. I've seen some of this already but not all of it, however I'm going to give it a 5 star straight away as it gives another fantastic perspective on the 'found film footage' genre.

Post #: 7
Poor - 1/2/2012 7:38:27 AM   
J_BUltimatum

All I can say is this has everything. Everything as in bad acting, poor story and dire special effects (flying bus). I really wanted to walk out of this but had to endure this rubbish due to work.

Post #: 8
- 1/2/2012 7:17:32 PM   
Whistler

I thought it was great. A truly interesting and well executed sci-fi film with genuine laughs and genuine shocks. I love that we're pretty much left in the dark about what actually happened to them, but I know that'll be the reason a lot of people won't like it. It'll be Cloverfield all over again...

Post #: 9
RE: Chronicle - 2/2/2012 1:08:55 AM   
magicwings

quote:

To this point Chronicle is an immensely enjoyable superhero sci-fi, Sundance-cool yet shot with a studio sheen. It even makes a sincere effort to avoid the POV pitfall that has derailed so many found-footage movies since Burkittsville, its key documentarian, Dane (Detmer, channelling Basketball Diaries DiCaprio), learning to pilot his camcorder with his mind, thereby finding a neat (if not always successful) excuse why some shots can only have been achieved by a fourth party.

Dane Detmer? Don't you mean Dane DeHann?

< Message edited by magicwings -- 2/2/2012 1:12:57 AM >

Post #: 10
Worst Film I've Seen - 2/2/2012 6:30:36 PM   
colmshan1990

I just have to say that I've never disagreed with a review this strongly before. And that includes Attack of the Clones.
I found almost every aspect of this movie to be poor, but the main reason it grated on my nerves so much had to be the main character.
It wasn't the acting- he wasn't given anything to do, never mind possibly mess up- but the character was written to be so unlikable it distracted from everything else.
Except for the unavoidably (due to budget constraints) bad effects.
While I can forgive the FX, I cannot forgive the writing. When the main character is so annoying, so whiny, and just an all-round brat, he doesn't get sympathy.
And that was the only thing this film could possibly hope to recieve from me.

To be honest, this film doesn't deserve a 1 star review from me, but I can't go lower and count as a rating. This is the worst experience I've ever had in a cinema. I am generally picky about what i go to see, so Chronicle probably isn't the worst film of the year, but it's likely to be the worst I'll see.
Here's hoping.

Post #: 11
Worst Film I've Seen - 2/2/2012 6:30:38 PM   
colmshan1990

I just have to say that I've never disagreed with a review this strongly before. And that includes Attack of the Clones.
I found almost every aspect of this movie to be poor, but the main reason it grated on my nerves so much had to be the main character.
It wasn't the acting- he wasn't given anything to do, never mind possibly mess up- but the character was written to be so unlikable it distracted from everything else.
Except for the unavoidably (due to budget constraints) bad effects.
While I can forgive the FX, I cannot forgive the writing. When the main character is so annoying, so whiny, and just an all-round brat, he doesn't get sympathy.
And that was the only thing this film could possibly hope to recieve from me.

To be honest, this film doesn't deserve a 1 star review from me, but I can't go lower and count as a rating. This is the worst experience I've ever had in a cinema. I am generally picky about what i go to see, so Chronicle probably isn't the worst film of the year, but it's likely to be the worst I'll see.
Here's hoping.

Post #: 12
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 2/2/2012 10:42:10 PM   
film man aidy

Saw

(in reply to colmshan1990)
Post #: 13
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 2/2/2012 11:03:59 PM   
film man aidy

Saw this today, and despite suffering some 'superhero' fatigue of late, found it to be a solid 90 minutes entertainment. The 'found footage' element added to the film as a whole, and the floating camera was a good way to get around a entire shakycam experience. The last third is by far the strongest part, and the director manages to to display some pretty incredible stuff with his limited budget. The flying sequences in particular, are an absolute standout. It did get me to thinking how on earth Bryan Singer managed to get through $200+ for Superman Returns. Chronicle has a budget of around $15 million, and manages to include some really big set pieces that  easaily rival anything in Singer's movie.
Anyway, a film to see without watching a full trailer beforehand, as it will ruin some twists and turns. Not a 
*****     rating as TF have inexplicably given it. A solid night at the movies. Over to you Man Of Steel...

Oh and a trailer for Prometheus was shown. To see it on the big screen, this looks amazing. Still won't be going to a 3-D showing though. Sorry Ridley...

Chronicle ***1/2

(in reply to colmshan1990)
Post #: 14
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 3/2/2012 12:00:26 AM   
musht

I liked this a lot however I feel the found footage way of shooting it took away from the movie as there were moments where they really struggled to have a reason for someone to have a camera, for example the Casey character. I think it also took away from the final confrontation. Still I did enjoy the movie and the climax to the final confrontation was awesome

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 15
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 3/2/2012 9:32:43 PM   
adambatman82

I thought this was alright, but not the masterpiece many have been claiming it to be. The lead actor was dreadful, the effects looked awful, and the found footage angle was stretched to its extremes in terms of the plausibility of the sheer number of cameras being used to record the damn thing! The final act was great tho.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 16
RE: Rude - 3/2/2012 9:44:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ceekayck

Smh at Michael B. Jordan being 'unknown'.

Ah yes, who could forget his memorable turn in 2009's Pastor Brown? Or his world famous performance as Jamal in the 2001 Keanu Reeves vehicle Hard Ball...?

SMH indeed.

(in reply to Ceekayck)
Post #: 17
Chronicle Review - 5/2/2012 12:01:15 AM   
the film man

It arrives during a glut of found-footage films, but Chronicle transcends its gimmicks with a smart script, fast-paced direction, and engaging performances from its young, talented cast.

Post #: 18
Worst Film I've Ever Seen? - 5/2/2012 9:37:30 AM   
fergiecool

That bloke obviously hasn't seen Sister Act 2. Went to see this last night and thought it was excellent - well worthy of the 4 star review. Really refreshing take on the superhero film - and, unlike other filmed in the first person movies, this one worked really well (they come up with a neat trick so someone isn't constantly holding the camera).

Post #: 19
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 5/2/2012 2:39:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I thought this was alright, but not the masterpiece many have been claiming it to be. The lead actor was dreadful, the effects looked awful, and the found footage angle was stretched to its extremes in terms of the plausibility of the sheer number of cameras being used to record the damn thing! The final act was great tho.

Is anyone really saying it is a masterpiece? Ever review I have seen says that it is a very good superhero film. Which is what I think it is as well. Not sure what the problem with the lead actor is - he was hardly Hayden C in Sith in terms of his similar performance. The only actor that stuck out was the blogger girl.

With regard to the camera thing - yeah it might have been better of they used the District 9 set up and went in and out of third and first person, but by the time the third act comes around I wasn't even noticing that stuff - the characters and relationships really propelled it.

The difference between this, and lets say, Apollo 18, is that the hook isn't the footage itself, and therefore it doesn't bother me that much.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 20
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 5/2/2012 2:41:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

I would say it is one of the better superhero movies of recent years. Much prefered it to last years Marvel movies.

And it isn't setting up sequels/prequels which is refreshing.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 21
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 5/2/2012 3:38:56 PM   
Darth Loony

A good solid low budget flick that puts a new spin on an old idea. Not massively original but very entertaining.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 22
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 5/2/2012 4:49:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
Is anyone really saying it is a masterpiece?

Yep. Check out the comments section here -

"I loved every. single.muther. friggin part of the epic sci-fi/action masterpiece CHRONICLE!"
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=54110&t=BOX_OFFICE_CHRONICLE_Beats_THE_WOMAN_IN_BLACK_To_Take_The_Weekend_1_Spot

And this is from a review.

"In a year when audiences are hungry for more super-hero epics, and in a year when heavy hitters like The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man are gaining the column inches itís great to see a little masterpiece like Chronicle come out and steal a bit of the thunder."
http://www.playmountain.net/featured/chronicle/

And that's before we get to the IMDB commentators and Twitter.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 5/2/2012 4:55:28 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 23
RE: Worst Film I've Seen - 5/2/2012 4:58:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

Now now - you know the rules. IMBder's don't count. Someone, somewhere thinks Wolverine is a masterpiece.

I do find it funny we have gone from no one being interested in the film, to it getting very positive reviews, to now and folks saying it is overhyped, all in the space of a week. Is that the fastest turnaround for a film yet?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 24
The trailer - 5/2/2012 11:18:33 PM   
Flem3297

Just saw this... solid movie, good effects but everything that impresses you in it has been ruined by the trailer.. all the best bits are ruined apart from maybe one or two... I was disappointed

Post #: 25
RE: Chronicle - 6/2/2012 10:45:47 AM   
Chief

Went into this blind on weekend having only seen the trailer 20 mins before I went and I think it's deserving of a 4 star review.

Post #: 26
RE: Chronicle - 6/2/2012 8:31:37 PM   
Greggieboy

I quite enjoyed it. My main problem was not once did any character say something like "Wow we are like the X Men or Batman" or "Hey, do you think we should become superheros now" or "This is just like the comic books I used to read". Even if it was just one off the cuff line at somepoint, but nothing. As 3 teenage boys living in modern times you think someone could say something.

It was very good but not excellent. The final sequence seemed to take ages and then was resolved very quickly.

However, if anyone from Odeon Cinemas are reading this TURN THE BLOODY SOUND UP. This is the secound time Ive been to an Odeon in the last 12 months (the other being Captain America) and both times the volume really needed turning up a couple of notches. Id perfer a film to be too loud than too quiet, especially on a Saturday afternoon with lots of noisy teenagers. Who incidently started applauding when it ended!

Will watch it again on DVD

Last Few Films Seen:Captain America;77/100 Harry Potter 7b; 85/100 Super 8; 74/100 X Men;First Class;76/100Fututre Films: Cowboys & Aliens, ROTPOTA, Cars 2, , Bridesmaids (at some point)

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 27
RE: Chronicle - 6/2/2012 9:08:37 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Suffers a little from the trappings of the well-worn found footage genre (the inclusion of Matt's blogging missus & her camera felt awfully weak), whilst the inclusion of a leading character singing along to Jessie J is never a good way to get me onside. That said, it's a nice take on the superhero story, does a decent enough job of building the appropriate character arcs (even if they are extremely familiar) and the pay-off towards the end is worth the cinema trip alone. Nothing hugely groundbreaking, but thoroughly enjoyable all the same.

3/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Greggieboy)
Post #: 28
Not bad - 6/2/2012 11:31:20 PM   
bretty

Enjoyed this one, almost four stars for me. Was quite surprised by the camera perspective,hadn't picked that up in the previews.
Most of it worked well, although with his powers Andrew could have made a fortune on the slot machines, no need for a crap raid on a supermarket.
But nice to see something original.

Post #: 29
RE: Not bad - 8/2/2012 7:12:20 PM   
Dr Lenera

With the odd exception such as Cloverfield, I'm not the biggest fan of 'found footage' movies and think the subgenre has worn itself, but Chronicle is a really pleasant surprise, a clever and original spin on superhero and teen themes. A really impressive achievement on a tiny budget, with effects that are better than many a big budget movie.
7.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Chronicle Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI