Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 12:39:53 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

Cheers mate. I've got a couple of things that I have applied for and a couple more that I will today and tomorrow. Problem is, I'm trying to change industry. I've worked in media/advertising for the best part of 15 years and I've just had enough of it. Soul destroying. It's taken me this long to work out!

The two I got no's from this week were working in marketing communications in a university and a charity. Not a million miles away in terms of the job but very different environments from what I've come from.

Concentrate on your key transferable skills not necessirily the industry change. As you say similar job skills which you clearly have, depends where you were looking in the charity and university, having worked in both charity and education before health (where I am now) I know the skillset you have would directly relatable, particuarlu fund raising within charity.

Yes I have definitely concentrated on the transferable skills of which there are many I think...I've got web content, email marketing and social media marketing experience as well, which was from a commerical point of view, but again in the same ball park of what a uni/charity would want I think

Skibes, did you ever give any thoughto joinin the film club that I belong to in Cheam, Sutton Film Makers, sent you details ages ago, I would think it would be right up your street and v local to you.

Jim

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 61
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 1:33:56 PM   
Skiba

Yes I do remember you sending me that. I have to be honest and say that I don't really have an interest in film making or the process of it and my film watching habits vary massively. I'll go periods where I'm at the cinema a couple of times a week and then I might not go for months. Similar thing with watching at home too. So I'm not sure I'd bring much to the table! Appreciate the invite though thanks

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 62
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 1:43:24 PM   
JIm R

quote:

Yes I do remember you sending me that. I have to be honest and say that I don't really have an interest in film making or the process of it and my film watching habits vary massively. I'll go periods where I'm at the cinema a couple of times a week and then I might not go for months. Similar thing with watching at home too. So I'm not sure I'd bring much to the table! Appreciate the invite though thanks

Okay dokey, you are welcome

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 63
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 2:30:52 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

One or two organisations showing interest in me. Had an interview yesterday that was pretty positive. Step in right direction.

Great news mate . Text me if you have any news.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 64
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 2:48:03 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

One or two organisations showing interest in me. Had an interview yesterday that was pretty positive. Step in right direction.

Great news mate . Text me if you have any news.

Ring you laters on it

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 65
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 5/3/2012 9:39:58 PM   
Skiba

I know a few people who work at the Uni I applied for and was told that they've just employed someone for a job several levels lower than the one I went for who's got a bloody masters degree in I.T! It was a fairly low end admin job so I'm not sure I can compete with that level of applicant!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 66
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 6/3/2012 3:23:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I know a few people who work at the Uni I applied for and was told that they've just employed someone for a job several levels lower than the one I went for who's got a bloody masters degree in I.T! It was a fairly low end admin job so I'm not sure I can compete with that level of applicant!

I'd say the main thing to remember here is that you have not applied for the lower level job, which has already gone. So focus on the other one, let's face it, you are now thinking you will not get it, so you have nothing to lose!

Does the job spec give information on what type of projects you will have to work on? If so make sure you have a good example from your history for each one that you've done and can roll that out. Employers only basically want to do one thing, not make a mistake. Therefore they tend to look at two things. 1) have you got the qualifications for the job. 2) have you got experience doing something similar before. Usually 2) trumps 1). If they can answer one or both of those with a yes, they can employ you and if it doesn't work out be happy that they made the best decision. Good luck.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 67
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 7/3/2012 1:35:38 PM   
Shifty Bench

I have a question folks- I am writing spec letters and have to send them to anywhere I want to work. Doesn't mater I have already applied to everywhere I want to work but there you go. Anyway, I don't have any names of a particular person to address the letters to so what do I write on the envelope? Is it just the address? 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 68
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 7/3/2012 2:52:41 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I have a question folks- I am writing spec letters and have to send them to anywhere I want to work. Doesn't mater I have already applied to everywhere I want to work but there you go. Anyway, I don't have any names of a particular person to address the letters to so what do I write on the envelope? Is it just the address? 

Make a call to the company and ask for specific relevant people, if and when they ask why you want the info, be open with them. Looks much better then writing to whom it may concern or HR Manager on the envelope. Indicates you are genuinely interested in the company and would want to work for them.

That's what I've done in the past, hope you feel that's a help Shifty and good luck with it all

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 69
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 7/3/2012 2:53:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

Cheers Jim. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 70
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 7/3/2012 3:04:57 PM   
Chief

Or, if you really want the job, find out their name and follow them home one night and hand deliver the letter. Put some of your hair in it too, for the personal touch.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 71
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 7/3/2012 6:21:08 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

I'd say the main thing to remember here is that you have not applied for the lower level job, which has already gone. So focus on the other one, let's face it, you are now thinking you will not get it, so you have nothing to lose!

Does the job spec give information on what type of projects you will have to work on? If so make sure you have a good example from your history for each one that you've done and can roll that out. Employers only basically want to do one thing, not make a mistake. Therefore they tend to look at two things. 1) have you got the qualifications for the job. 2) have you got experience doing something similar before. Usually 2) trumps 1). If they can answer one or both of those with a yes, they can employ you and if it doesn't work out be happy that they made the best decision. Good luck.

Cheers for the advice Prof but it was actually for a role that I was turned down for last week. There was a huge person specification list and I hit all the essentials and one out of the two desirables. To be fair, I realise they would've got many, many applicants as it's a prestigious Uni in London but was very disappointed to not even get an interview. So when they employ someone with a qualification like that, for a far lesser role than the one I was going for, I can see why I didn't get selected as I don't have anything anywhere near that. Also I could've saved myself fucking hours and hours doing what I thought was a very good application!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 72
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/3/2012 9:43:03 PM   
juanvasquez

I am now applicable to this thread.

Got told this morning I've 4 weeks left.

I'm only on agency, and was expecting it, but we were told only a few days ago not to expect anything until the end of next month.

Regardless of that I'm now up shit street unless I find something else sharpish. I've already been applying for various jobs here and there but now I'm just going for anything and everything. There's been quite a few I like the look of, so that probably means I'll never hear back from them.

So down.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 73
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 17/3/2012 12:25:49 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Just thought I would let everyone know that nearly 2 years on from being made redundant, I finally started work again last Thursday.

About a 40% paycut from last job but 100% payrise from nothing (although the pedants will say that 100% rise of 0 is still 0 but you know what I mean!)

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 74
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 18/3/2012 6:01:07 PM   
tarantinofan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

Just thought I would let everyone know that nearly 2 years on from being made redundant, I finally started work again last Thursday.

About a 40% paycut from last job but 100% payrise from nothing (although the pedants will say that 100% rise of 0 is still 0 but you know what I mean!)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you not find a job in two years? (or was it a health related issue)

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 75
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 18/3/2012 7:18:26 PM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

If you don't mind me asking, how did you not find a job in two years? (or was it a health related issue)

Its a fair question.

I was fairly senior in my role in Financial Services (middle management in a marketing capacity although I had over 10 years + sales experience as well).

I registered with every recruiter under the sun and was put forward for dozens of roles both above, at and below my level.

Due to the huge amount of redundancies in the industry, I was not even given a look in for the jobs which would be considered going up in the world. The ones at my level were few and far between (I reckon over the two year period, I went for about30 roles and got about a dozen interviews for these types of roles).

I got to 7 final interview stages and was pipped at the post in 3 of them. To give you an example of one role I went for, it was an assessment final stage with 5 stages (a role play, a presentation, a knowledge test, a straight interview, and something else I cant remember). There were 6 of us in at this final stage. 1 was an internal candidate, the other 5 were all unemployed.

For the jobs beneath me (and I am talking 50% paycut), I hardly got any interviews as I was over qualified. I had numerous interviews and the feedback was consistantly the same - excellent interview but would be a retention risk. Even the role I secured I was originally told that until the guy who did actually get it, left after 8 weeks for a better job! Thankfully they came back to me and said they made a mistake.

So it wasnt through lack of trying - I must have had about 25 interviews over the last 2 years (which doesnt sound like much) but that really is the state of the financial services industry in Scotland.

Hope that answers your question!

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 76
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 19/3/2012 8:39:07 PM   
juanvasquez

When I saw it took you 2 years, it was quite unnerving!

I've got an assessment at the Toyota plant in Derby. Gonna get a call to book the date and stuff. Won't be able to make it until a week Tuesday, though, unless I can get the time off work. By the looks of things, I might be there a good portion of the day.

And I've been contacted twice RE two other applications. One was to tell me my application has passed stage one or summink, and the other was to send me an assessment. I've applied for so many since the weekend, and still applying for more, I'm forgetting what's what. Still, even if they all amount to nothing, today has filled me with a little more confidence.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 77
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 20/3/2012 5:50:23 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I got made redundant and became an ESL teacher, if you are single and sick of the UK (have a degree) and are doing nothing why not go somewhere exciting for a year teach and then come back feeling refreshed. Or stay out here forever?

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

Post #: 78
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 27/3/2012 10:14:48 PM   
juanvasquez

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

I just wish I remember what it was for, I've applied for so many jobs!

*If anyone from work is reading this, I actually have a doctors appointment...

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 79
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 28/3/2012 11:05:54 AM   
shool

Congrats Juan. Good luck.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 80
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 30/3/2012 1:20:08 PM   
juanvasquez

Cheers Shool.

Just got back and I think it went really well. Aced the assessment and the guy seemed dead impressed with my interview, so I'm cautiously optimistic!

I'll find out if I've got it by Sunday.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 81
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 30/3/2012 5:16:55 PM   
juanvasquez

These job interviews are like buses! Smell like piss and full of old people...

Or something like that.

Anyhoo, 2 more on Tuesday!

EDIT: And just had a surprise phone interview!

< Message edited by juanvasquez -- 30/3/2012 6:29:12 PM >

Post #: 82
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 2/4/2012 10:37:33 PM   
juanvasquez

Well, despite the seemingly good impression I got from Friday's interview, they said if I was successful I would have heard from them by now. Which I haven't. Bummer.

Two more tomorrow. One in the centre of Brum, the other a little closer to home. Have a feeling I may be more successful with the former, just because it's that little bit more out of the way!. Although it's at 8.45 in the morning . It is opposite a comic book store though...

Aforementioned phone interview was a success. I have a follow on interview for that on Thursday. Not sure if work will be too pleased. But fuck 'em, I've got little over a week left, and NEED a job!

Post #: 83
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 5/4/2012 6:21:52 PM   
juanvasquez

Well, I got the job I went for on Friday.

Problem is, they are currently in the process of renovating the office, and are behind schedule and don't know when I can start!

Post #: 84
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 13/4/2012 11:11:06 AM   
tarantinofan

Quick question,

I'm volunteering a couple of days a week at the Citizens Advice Bureau (doing admin). Where do I put this on my CV? Under "jobs" or just in the additional "extra curricula" part. I want it to stand out but equally I don't want employers to presume I'm trying to make it out as more than it really is.

Post #: 85
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 13/4/2012 1:23:07 PM   
Chief Wiggum

It would also depend on if you're unemployed otherwise - assuming that you are I'd stick it in the Jobs section, I do something similar volunteering one day a week at a museum and have put that in the experience section

I don't know if it demonstrates it or not, but I put it there to show that, since my last project came to an end I have been trying to keep myself busy and in a work routine, and that I'm not content to sit on my arse watching Trisha and eating bon-bons.

In my search I had a really good two weeks - 9 interviews, 4 of which were second interviews, eventually whittled down to 2, didn't get either of them, still i had a call about a job in Swindon (about 2 hours away) which might be promising, but who knows.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 86
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 13/4/2012 1:59:52 PM   
Stillwater

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

Quick question,

I'm volunteering a couple of days a week at the Citizens Advice Bureau (doing admin). Where do I put this on my CV? Under "jobs" or just in the additional "extra curricula" part. I want it to stand out but equally I don't want employers to presume I'm trying to make it out as more than it really is.

Change up your CV so the section isn't entitled 'jobs' but rather 'work experience' that way you can put it in that section so it stands out. Most employers will only really bother with the first page of a CV to see what your last work experience was so you want it to be noticed and not hidden back on page 2. The important part isn't that you got paid for it, but that you have relevant work experience. You can put in job title as 'volunteer' so it doesn't look like you are making it out to be more, but employers will like seeing that you haven't been sitting about doing nothing.

My contract finished at the end of March so I am in the same boat, unemployed but doing unpaid/volunteer work so that my CV is up to date and I am still doing something. The CAB is a good one to volunteer for as they often lead on to permanent positions.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

Post #: 87
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 14/5/2012 2:33:12 PM   
steffols

So I'm skimming my feet in the pool of job seeking.

Filling in a job application, I've come to the references section where it asks for a reference from my current position and my previous position. The problem is I actually transferred within the same company about a year and a half ago. Do I put the same company down for the two references or do I use my previous job which was a nothing of a job, lasted less then three months and they have probably forgotten I have even worked for them. Whilst with my previous 'position' I have a lot more to say as I had many different responsibilities in the job I was doing before I transferred.

Please help!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 88
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 14/5/2012 2:38:36 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, I would put both.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 89
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 22/5/2012 12:08:30 AM   
The2ndRing

My advice for interviews - do your research. I've been interviewing people today, and it was very surprising how many people had done no research whatsoever into the company they would be working for, or the establishment.

With Job Applications - sell yourself - go through the essential criteria and base your personal statement around it so you address each quality.

I'm very lucky to be working in a senior management position at the mo - so if anyone wants any advice PM me/ask here :)

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI